Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Candy, I am so glad that you went to the hospital so the PE could be diagnosed and treated. We were all worried about you. It is good to know thatyou are on the mend. Take it easy and get some rest.

Mae, You are in my thoughts today.

Hugs and prayers, Lynne

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 725

Here for pocket duty. Have some of hubs leftover b-day cake from yesterday. Candy - glad you are back home. How scary. I’m heading to our daughter’s tomorrow for quick Mother’s Day weekend. Hubs can’t go as he’s on call. Wishing you all a Happy Mother’s Day weekend. Even if you don’t have kiddos, you have been a source of nurturing and comfort to all of us in Mel’s living room. Sending you all virtual bouquets of your favorite flowers

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

Candy-678: glad you are home. I was in the hospital for a week in January due to pneumonitis. Left the hospital on oxygen. Then on 4/13/21 was diagnosed with a PE and am on Eliquis, too.

Cancer sucks and so does having a PE.

This is a thread I started for pneumonitis and PE:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/879479?page=2#idx_33

are you feeling better now?

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Dodgers- I will check out your Thread. I did not have any shortness of breath. Just the "different" back pain, which I thought was a kidney stone attack pain. Another pill to take now. Good grief. Today I am tired--- like a deflated balloon.

• dodgersgirl

Candy-678: glad they caught it in time to treat.

So far, my biggest issue with Eliquis is all the meds I can’t take anymore. I was using Ibuprofen very successfully for mets pain but can’t take ibuprofen any longer. Also, I am a bleeder now as I experienced in April when I received a fulvestrant shot. Arrrr.

Get some rest today. You certainly deserve a break.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Candy, I’m glad you’re back home and the PE has been dealt with. I’m sure that was very alarming to have the back pain just after the awful biopsy. Were the two things related at all or just coincidental with the timing? I hope you’re feeling better and can catch up on the sleep you need. Hug to you. 🌸

• candy-678

Rosie- Yeah I thought the back pain was a kidney stone--- Good grief what luck, a stone after that awful liver biopsy. Then, also, I thought the back pain was about the liver biopsy since it was such a prolonged procedure. So, I really didn't know. Then to be told a PE. Wow. That came out of left field. But, in hindsight, I was off my daily low dose aspirin for the liver biopsy. And cancer patients are at a higher risk of clotting. So maybe being off the aspirin was the tipping factor. The aspirin was holding the clots at bay and being off it made the clot happen.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Candy, happy to see you back and hope you feel all better soon.

Gamma knife is done and I’m enjoying my breakfast in a recovery room. It’s scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage links, a bagel with cream cheese, a slice of banana nut bread, a fruit cup and of course, coffee!

• dodgersgirl

candy-678: I was told that cancer patients have an increased risk of blood clots AND that having a port also increases risk of clotting so it’s a double whammy.

I had my 2nd CoVid vaccine 2 weeks before PE. Not sure if the vaccine increased PE risk?

Did your doctor say anything about risks of travel after being DX with PE? Neither my pulmonary doctor nor MO said much beyond being on Eliquis for life now as once I had produced 1 clot, I would likely produce more.

• candy-678

Dodgers- No mention of travel. But, I never have traveled !!! I am a homebody. My 2nd Covid vaccine was in Feb, so I know not that. I was off my 81mg aspirin for the liver biopsy. We think that was the issue.

Mae- Glad your procedure done. Wow that looks like a good breakfast. Our hospital dietary department really has went downhill. My breakfast was flat, small pancakes and limp bacon. Or flat, small piece of french toast and turkey sausage links. None of my meals were good. And all small portions. And I was on a regular diet with no restrictions.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,462

Candy, wow a PE, glad it is taken care of but scary for sure. Glad to see you here again.

Mae that breakfast looks like actual real food, not the prepackaged garbage our hospitals went to. Hated the food during the couple of hospital stays I had over the years. Never thought to have family bring some in for me instead but oh well.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Candy, glad to see you back!

Speaking of food, fighting the good fight with indigestion here this evening. Same as last summer with an overworked diaphragm/stomach muscles and then eating too much at one meal (lunch in this case). It's sheer misery but we seem to be on the downhill for this episode finally (it's almost 1am). Lesson learned (again) but I think i will call the gp tomorrow just in case.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

hi Candy glad you’re back and ok.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Candy glad you’re back and OK.

Mae that food looks like a celebratory breakfast. Wow

Booboo I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better

Tanya

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650

wow that doe look like real food. I worked at a hospital just about 27 years ago. They had a full service kitchen and you could order food at the cafeteria where someone actually made it for you. Then in 2010 when I was in a BC hospital (Vancouver) for my brain tumour surgery it was a lot of crappy prepared stuff. I will never forget one breakfast lifting the plate cover to find .... nothing....... wait the tray cover is kind of heavier than normal.... my factory made blueberry muffin was stuck to the plate cover...... it's a good thing I had good drugs case the food was baaaa

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

Candy - glad you're back and on the mend. 

Mae - you photo shopped that food in!  But since you just had bolts screwed into your head I'll let you get away with it. Just this once. 

Not much going on here. Still waiting to have talk with gyno and oncologist to find out if my uterus goes bye-bye or what. Thinking it's time to start the tamoxifen again but man, I've really enjoyed being off it. I have felt a difference in the past month, in a good way.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Candy,

I am so glad you are ok. I had terrible thoughts of you laying on the floor passed out with no one knowing. I am so happy they found the cause and treated you immediately. I’ve never had a PE, but I am also currently being treated with Eliquis. Was put on it after my leg surgery. I only have to take it for a month though, so happy about that. If you could see the pile of pills I take, you’d fight taking another pill for life too.

Anyway, big hugs my friend.

• candy-678

Thanks Booboo. Yeah I knew you guys would wonder, but I couldn't log on to BCO to report in. I could have called Mel. I have her number. But I wasn't thinking. Glad you are recouping ok.

• mara51506

Laurie and Candy, glad you are both recovering. If I ever get pain like you mention Candy, I'll call an ambulance to get it checked out for sure.

Done two walks so far today since today is a higher step count day. Partly cloudy and chilly but I don't mind. Going to have some beans, beefless ground, bit of cheese and spinach. Microwave to melt the cheese. Topped with salt, some onion powder and a spoonful of queso with a tablespoon of mayo. Should be yummy. Then I guess it will be back to walking since nothing is open here and I am suspicious that even though our stay at home order is supposed to lift sometime around Mar 18, our numbers will rise due to Mother's Day gatherings. I am grateful to be getting the first vaccine shot on the 17th. Will rehearse the bus next week as I have never been to our Agriplex except by car in the past.

Edited to add that I completed a third walk as well. That is 10000 steps and if I wish I can stop here. Not sure if older DB will call me to want to shop. I don't need anything right now so not sure what that will mean. I know they will be busy for Mother's day for SIL tomorrow I am sure.

• booboo1

Thanks Mara. Getting there slowly. I’m glad it’s behind me.

Candy, sorry. I was not trying to shame you or request anything. Just wanted you to know how much I care, like the rest of your “family” here. It’s not like any of us can stop in the middle of a crisis and send an update to this group. Nope. You had a lot going on, and we are all glad that you are ok.

• candy-678

Booboo- No need to apologize. I didn't take your comments as shaming. I know you care. That is what I love about our "family" here. When someone doesn't check in, we worry. I have worried about people here before too.

• micmel

group hug!

• RaggedEdge
    RaggedEdge Member Posts: 2

Hi, I am new to all this, just got diagnosis last week, so treatment is still to be discussed and the shock is so fresh. In response to your post, I am 64 years old, and have been married for 45 years to the same wonderful man. We have shared a rich life, filled with ups and downs and my thought on it all is this. I want my husband to find someone if I leave this life, I can't stand the thought of him being alone or lonely. I can't bare to think that he would go to bed alone every night or wake up without anyone to share the day with. He is wonderful and deserves to have as much joy as he can have in this life. He is always supportive of any thing I am personally going through and he will be with me to see me to the end, if my end comes before his. When two people have truly loved each other, no one will ever be able to take your place, because that place is so huge in the other's heart. Love is endless and there is an unlimited supply and demand. I hope you can find peace with this soon, because no matter how long we have, we don't have time to worry about the "what ifs". Love that man with everything in your being for as long as you have with each other.

• micmel

Ragged edge~ thank you for the good advice. Sometimes I get wrapped up in my cancer life. I wish I could be who I was for him. He’s a good man. Welcome to the thread. Thank you for sharing. Thank you.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Candy - so good to hear from you! I am relieved to know you are home.

KittyKat and Booboo1 - I am so impressed that PT comes to your homes! I was discharged home the next day with a brief check by the hospital PT to make sure I could walk with crutches and a walker. No follow up. I requested an order from my primary doctor though and so I did a few weeks outpatient at a local clinic here. Booboo1 I can empathize with wanting to chuck that walker to the pool!

The PET scan went well. I asked if I could see the images but was not allowed to this time around. I think they were running behind. Last time I was able to get a good look at them so I was prepared for the news. I haven't heard anything yet so my philosophy is no news is good news. I have a follow up with my primary care on Tuesday so I will ask her if I don't hear anything sooner. Thank you for the pocket duty. Thinking of you all as always.

• booboo1

Emac, fingers and toes crossed that your results are really good.

Hey,I just realized that you are from Oregon. Never been to that state. On my bucket list!

• mara51506

Fingers crossed from me as well Emac.

Ragged Edge, you are right, life is short love your life as much as you can before it is gone. Welcome to our room.

Happy Mother's Day to those celebrating their own mother or children.

I admit, I still find it a little difficult but not gut wrenching to think about my mom or those that are gone. Saw a nice picture of my Nana online when my cousing posted pictures of Nana and my Aunt as well. Makes me realize, I really have a lot of that side of the family. My face is a blend of my Mom, Nana and my Aunt. I saved the picture to my favourites so I can see it whenever I want. Just going to walk a few times and do housework and possibly order some fish and chips to treat myself as a tribute to Mom and I.

• candy-678

Sunday morning all.

Ok my list this week may be inaccurate. I have not been able to keep up as I usually do. But here goes---

Moth- CT and bone scan results

Intolight- MRI and CT results?? Did I miss them?

Booboo- Continued recovery

BevJen- Continued recovery

Dutchiris- Treatment plan??

emac- scan results

Rosie- MRI Tuesday

I will edit list as needed.

Today is my online church service-- still unsure when I am going back to church with the low counts/Covid stuff. Our church ladies group is meeting again starting this week, monthly. I MAY go to that. About 10 ladies. Can space out. Some have had vaccine, but some not. I would, of course, wear a mask, and sit separate from the group. But, it sounds kind of nice to get together. Have a lesson, prayer, talk. No singing. And I would not hug. But it would be getting out again. And not medical related!!!

• booboo1

Mara,

The picture of your Mom is precious. She looks like she was very kind and a most nurturing Mother. You are blessed to have had that kind of relationship. Happy Mother’s Day to her and all of our Moms, whether they are still with us or not.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Hi Candy, Thanks for keeping track of all of our “stuff”. Could you add me for MRI on Tuesday? I hope to see the report on my portal a few days later. MO appointment not until June.

Wishing a Happy Mother’s Day to any moms here, and to those missing their moms. Mine has been gone for 7 years now but I still think about her and miss her every day..

Booboo, BevJen, Emac, thinking good thoughts for you! Moth, IntoLight, Dutchiris, in your pockets this week!