Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

That puppy wins the cuteness award! And puppy breath - wish it lasted forever!

Off to scans today….

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Hi everyone, it's daughter's birthday month, my baby turned 39 today, I'm still not great after my surgery so stayed home but paid for takeout for her and Finn and her work mates bought her a lovely birthday cake, hopefully I'll feel better over the weekend and we can celebrate then. I have my mri tomorrow, I really hope my team can get on top of what's going on with my brain. Candy I'm sorry your treatment break didn't solve your fevers. What a cute puppy Laurie and I'm glad they've finally got your pain meds right. 50's I hope your treatment was successful in treating the mets in your brain. Mel wishing your sister all the best as her treatment continues. Waving hi to everyone else.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,451

KittyKat, happy birthday to your daughter. I am sorry they have not found out what is going on with your brain, in your pocket always sending support your way.

Goldens, in your pocket as well for the scans, hoping everything goes well.

Thinking of Candy and wishing those damn fevers would leave our family alone.

Thinking of Mel and her sister, in the pocket for both of them.

My life is ordinary. No real plans today. Waiting for a keychain that says Shady Pines. Got it for my friend whose mom is dealing with a different form of cancer, we are likely getting together this weekend and she loves golden girls so the keychain should be enjoyed I think

I am doing laundry, handwashing clothes and using the machine for the cloths, planning to treadmill walk, supposed to be super windy, not interested in going out in that. I will vacuum my hallway. They do not clean the building and the workers are sloppy. I cannot hack the whole building but can make my own floor look better. Complaining does nothing. I will pickup what I can on my floor. I envy a neighbour who does not even have to really see the building as she has a private door out back. Wish I had a carpet shampooer. Just emptied a whole load of dusty debris from my Dyson, probably do the stairs with one of my handvacs which I use when I sweep and vacuum up in the apartment.

I think all meals will involve beans, just in different configurations and basically walking on the treadmill post meals. Out of peanut butter and I think I will leave it that way because I cannot stop wanting to eat it for meals and though it has protein, terrible amount of calories. Rather spend those calories on somethingn else.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Goldens, in your pocket for good scans.

Well, the black and red fleece works but the little hoodie is going back as it turned little monkey into a vicious beast. He might look smiley in the 1st pic but he’s really just crazed and began biting Pig, which is totally out of character.

• mara51506

Oh dear, hope something else will keep him more gentle but warm. They still look sweet.

Ate a different breakfast, still using up the leftovers of DB turkey and stuffing. Added a small amount stuffing, turkey, sprinkle of cheese and one egg on medium heat in frypan. Mixed around for a couple minutes and put them on a plate with steak, italian and salt seasonings. Put wheat bran for fiber. Used sour cream and onion to bind everything, tastes same as name brand but is inexpensive. It was quite delicious, not much left of it so will combine with beans and rice.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Mara, Your creativity is at work again. Do you know what I would have done with the Thanksgiving leftovers? Dumped them on a plate, reheated them, and eaten them just like that. Boring, right?

All WBR sessions have been completed. Yay! My dh bought 2 huge cupcakes to celebrate. We haven’t eaten them yet, but they will be eaten in more than one sitting. Now we wait 8 weeks for the next brain MRI to see about response. In the meantime, I will be optimistic. I return to MO in a week and a half to resume/revise chemo, etc. I have to admit that I will be glad to get back on that treatment, too.

It is a beautiful day out today. I plan to sit and relax in the yard for a little while. Tomorrow I will get my flu shot. I had my COVID booster a few weeks ago. I should be all set for the fall and winter

• mara51506

Glad you are done WBR, enjoy yourself with DH and the nice weather as well as the cupcakes. I have enjoyed the three meals thus far, going to just do beans at lunch and invent something at dinner.

• goldensrbest

50s - glad your WBR is done. Those cupcakes sound yummy.

Mae - maybe a different color in the cute plaid. They want to be twinsies 😉😅🥰🐾

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783

I am now triple negative. Waiting to hear when we get thing started. I believe it will be taxol.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,923

I think the hoodie made him think he was a gangsta.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,050

Dutchiris~at least you know the cancer has changed. Attack time! Cellular as*holes. Good to see you.

Mae~ oh my. Attitude came with the threads huh? They are so adorable though.

50’s ~ glad wbr is over. Awesome. Enjoy those cupcakes 🧁. I looove cupcakes! Always nice to see you. Hugs. To you.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

I am also a cupcake lover. Yum. Now I’ve got to find out where to get some.

50s, congrats on finishing your treatment. I’ll be praying that it kicked your cancer down the road. Big hugs to you.

Mae, I wonder if Monkey is averse to the color red? I agree with the others…they are still very cute. And you are a hero to take on more than one at a time. Our little Susie is a handful. Thank goodness she is in her puppy mode—play hard, sleep well! (Please don’t look at the dirty floor. It is the entrance where everything is dumped.)

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,050

I want a puppy so badly. What a cute little doodle!!!! I want puppy kisses!

• mara51506

Laurie, if that is dirty, I hate to think what others might think of my place, joking. Susie is so very cute, I imagine she is a ray of happiness for you and the family.

Mel, how are you and your sister doing?

Got the keychain that says Shady Pines for my friend from Amazon, mail delivery returned to the building which is nice as well. I am glad.

I am shopping with older DB tonight which is good, ordered some Flash Food which is basically food almost expired but price slashed in half, got some sausage but store is a fair distance away. Will get some good walking between Costco and No Frill's which is already my main store.

• illimae

Happy MBC day 🙂

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Boo - that doodle is ADORABLE. What a little ball of fluff N luv.

The name reminds me of this one song by an old Swedish band called Secret Service:

Everyone can enjoy the hair and late 70s lewks!

• mara51506

Happy MBC Day.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421

Sondra , are ''Big D and the Barfs going to do a cover version of the song? [your new career?]

Cute puppy photos ,although 'gangsta pup' looks a bit threatening. I am envious, even of the hard work pups bring.

Illiemae , great photo, it looks tropical in your bar , have you got heaters for when they are needed?

Happy MBC day to everyone.

• illimae

Denny, I’ve got an AC/Heat ductless unit waiting to be installed. DH assured me it’ll be done before winter, which is great because I’ll be spending a lot of time in here. In addition to the bar side, I have a lounge side so I can hang out on a futon and do puzzles while listening to murder mysteries.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Mae- beautiful picture of you at the beach ⛱️! What a great beach bar. What a way to get away from it all!

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Mae - Love the shirt and the beach scene! LOL. That's awesome. My parents have a Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix and she hates being cold but also goes a little nuts with clothes on. She likes to burrow under a blanket that she fluffs and arranges just so.

Dutchiris - I'm so sorry to hear about the TN diagnosis. From the ones here that have shared I understand it has different treatment approaches and I am in hopes the taxol works well to kick it back for you and the side effects are minimal. In your pocket as you begin treatment for it. Hugs.

Booboo1 - Oh my gosh, what a beautiful puppy! She almost doesn't look real she's so perfect. I can certainly see why you are in love.

Not much on my end. I'm still fighting intermittent dizzy spells and fatigue. It's become pretty regular to wake up with a headache. I'm not sure at this point that the Faslodex is the culprit. I think this last round of rad tx is just taking longer to bounce back from. I made it through 3 full work days in a row this week so I'm getting there. I bought a 14" cast iron pizza pan on Amazon's two day sale. My folks love a good restaurant quality pizza and the local place is now charging $40-$50 for a 14" pie! That's above and beyond so I'm going to learn to make our favorites at home. I imagine the first few will have a learning curve. I think I'll start out with store bought marinara and dough while I experiment and move forward with my own once I have the process down. It's still almost 90 degrees here! I planted some miniature tomato plant seeds that sprouted this week. They only grow to be about 12" tall. I've got them in the kitchen window right now and am going to see if I can keep them going inside when Fall/Winter finally decides to show up in Oregon. I don't expect the harvest to be as large as my summer garden tomatoes but it might be enough for salads and snacking.

• goldensrbest

Mae - if I didn’t know better, I might think you were sitting on some lovely Caribbean island😉😉. Pretty photo of you

$40-$50 for a pizza - crazy. If any of you live near a Papa Murphy’s, I highly recommend their pizza and on Tuesdays, it’s $10 for a large pizza. Their pies are made to be baked at home. We always get the chicken, bacon, artichoke. So yummy and I can have cold pizza for breakfast!

Dutchiris -sorry that stupid cancer pulled a trick on you and flipped🤬😤🤯. Praying new treatment is effective! HUGS🤗🤗🤗🤗

• mara51506

Emac, I don't think any pizza is worth 50 dollars. I've thought about making pizza out of storebought frozen and adding better ingredients as well, cheaper even with the purchase of fresh ingredients, keep us posted on what you create.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mel,

Take the plunge. Puppies can be a lot of work (Mae, not sure about your experience), but so far she is as good as she appears. She is very quiet and just wants to cuddle. Ah, YES! Exactly what I was hoping for. It's my BIL's dog, but secretly I think he got her for me. I hope things continue along on this path because I am extremely happy with her. Thanks to all that commented about Susie.

Tanya, how are you? You didn't get hit much from Ian, right? I hope all is well in FL.

Love to all...

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

MBC Day. Is that actually a thing? How did I not know about it? Mae, you should have had a "wish you were here" sign held up. You look terrific and the beach shed/bar will be a great hangout for you.

booboo: I am glad you can't see where we shed our shoes and coats. We finally got some organization there, so we don't have coats and hats spilling out all over the place. That puppy is just too darn cute.

Emac: $50 pizza. WTF!? Were the vegetables picked by Vestal Virgins under a full moon? Maybe a slice of meat from an endangered species? How can anyone justify $50 for a pizza?

Mara: We sometimes buy a store bought frozen pizza that is mostly spinach, or tomatoes or whatever then top it with the stuff we have in our fridge - like artichokes, peppers, black olives, extra cheese.

Dutchiris: I am sorry to read that your have flipped to TNBC.

mel: thinking of you and your sister.

Hi to all those I have missed.

• mara51506

Elderberry,, I like the pizza idea. Going to have to look into it. That would definitely be good to have as an alternative to the meals I have.

Laurie, my entryway is clear but out of necessity due to the size of my place. My DB and SIL gifted me an over the door hanger for the closet so outdoor clothes and bags hang up. Shoes are kept in a box on a shelf. Only have 4 pairs and a pair of boots so not much to worry about.

I did pick up my sausages for 1/2 price and I got 30 eggs from Costco. Think I will be able to use them all in combo with beans, rice, beefless ground and now the sausage as well. Not doing much today, treadmill walking, surveys and mobile games for money. May take a walk outside. Was able to check mail in my mailbox here and it was great. Laundry, vacuum my place and the hallway outside and perhaps get an outdoor walk around the block with the cane though did not use the cane yesterday and it was fine walking through the stores.

• illimae

Thanks for the compliments, I’ll have pics of my happy place beach bar soon. DH plans to be done with the last construction stuff next week. Funny, the more I see that picture, the more it feels like school picture day and I’m a goof, lol

• mara51506

After a couple of quiet days, construction resumes next door but the noise does not particularly bother me. My SIL wants me to take pictures of the messy building but not doing that, vacuuming my floor as it is easy to do and all I see in here.

I cooked big sausage for the first time ever, followed instructions online, it was really good. Cooked it in the breville at 375 for half an hour, flipping halfway through. Let the pan cool and then used the sausage juice to cook the 2 eggs and 1/4 cup of beans. Wheat bran, steak seasoning and salt sprinkled on top, used sour cream to bind, meal was already calorie heavy, no mayo wanted this time. I figure a sausage a couple times a week is fine but not every day. Might try grinding cooked sausage later for a different taste. Was only able to eat 1/2 of the breakfast, put rest in refrigerator and will use it later today with rice, more black beans and probably a sprinkle of cheese. I try not to waste anything unless what I make tastes bad which is not very often. Walking on the treadmill shortly.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Emac - check out Smitten Kitchen for her quick pizza sauce and dough:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/10/lazy-pizza-doug...

For the sauce, she just drains a can of tomatoes for a half hour and then uses a stick blender. I use this often and usually like to add in a little red wine, sugar, salt, basil and oregano. Itll then cook on the pizza. Super easy! The dough is too, although Im not sure in using a cast iron pan, but it would be good to experiment while you learn. Get a bench scraper if you dont' have one, it makes all the difference!

$40 for a pizza is nuts, although the one decent pizza out here by us its $35 for two 10 inch pies (we each get one and eat about half) done in a stone oven in floppy neapolitan style. Not sure whats making it so expensive - if its import costs or the electric costs or what but yeah, we dont have pizza often anymore.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Good afternoon ladies

I had to read for a long catch up.

First Happy belated Thanksgiving for all those who celebrated

Livingiv I’m glad you were able to celebrate with your son.

Boo-boo your BIL did a good job getting a puppy for himself that is really for you! So cute.

50’s girl I will have to eat a cupcake now to celebrate being done with WBR. Praying for best healing outcomes.

Candy I hope you feel better soon and the fever stops.

Mara I love Thanksgiving leftovers. I usually make soup with the turkey and sandwiches-that’s it.

Mel will you do crafts for the birthday or holiday decorations. I remember how lovely and festive you’ve made everything in the past.

SeeQ enjoy your daughters steakhouse birthday and the visit.

Kitty happy birthday to your daughter too. Feel better soon and enjoy your cake and ice cream. I hope you’re feeling a bit better after surgery. I’m in for pocket duty for your MRI.

Goldens good luck with the scans this weekend.

Mae your beach day photo looks authentic. That hoodie is funny. He’s reacting to something wow- clothes can make him so snarky lol

Wren44 you’re right gangsta puppy in the hoodie.

Dutchiris sorry to hear about double neg. I know taxol is strong and can do the trick.

Sondra f I enjoyed your 70’s video. Roller skating is back. My dh still has his skates but neither of us would dare put on skates at this age and stage. Lol

Denny 10 big and the barfs hilarious!

Emac877 I hope your dizziness and ses subside soon. Pizza for $40-50. Wow that’s terrible. It better be good. I’m old and originally from NY pizza 🍕.75 cents a slice back in the day. I have no idea how much it is now.

More to follow about trip

Tany