Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875

OMG. I haven’t checked into this thread for awhile but needed the chuckle Mae. I wonder if I can become part of this “in crowd” or if my joining would crash it’s popularity! 😁 I have also never been one of the popular girls… not sure but think I have survived the stigma so far!

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,635

In addition to the Triple Positive thread, I follow this thread very closely. I love to hear about Mara's new kitchen concoctions, Mae's beach bar, and Mel's painting, but I also worry about everyone's conditions/situations. I know that not everyone is into prayer, but I pray for all of you and wish all of you well.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,449

Thank you Elaine Therese for your kind words about my food. Very simple and inexpensive. I am thinking of getting some chocolate chips, semi sweet chocolate chips and peanuts to add with peanut butter. Melt the chocolate and peanut butter in pot or microwave 30 seconds at a time stirring the whole way, add peanuts, spoon onto wax paper and store in the fridge. In my case, I could probably tailor small amounts for when the need for chocolate strikes instead of buying a huge bar.If I was to make a full recipe, 1cup choc chips, 1cup semisweet chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter and add peanuts how you like. Keep them in the fridge 2 hours to set up. If you are giving them away, put a piece of wax paper between the layers. I love these, used to bring them to work as a treat. Most like less expensive than chocolate bars and I can make a couple for dessert for myself.

It is dry today, planning to do some running around because it is supposed to become icy tomorrow. That system that hit down south is leaving parts of three provinces with massive amounts of snow but we are going to get the freezing rain. I am fine as I have spikes and will likely just keep the spikes permanently attached to a pair of shoes and swap them at the store but will have to wait to get a fold up spike for my cane. If I do need to go out, will have to do it without the cane until Amazon delivers the spike. It is supposed to fold up as well so the cane can be used indoors. Also need to mail Christmas cards as well, only two so that is not bad.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

mara, your chocolate concoction sounds really good. I just watched a Trisha Yearwood cooking show episode where she made chocolate, peanut and other stuff I can't remember. She heated in her crockpot and then spooned it into muffin papers to give as gifts.

Mel, I'm glad your living room can accommodate all of us!

Got my flu shot yesterday. No SEs so far. I actually forgot about it until I felt the Band-aid on my arm in the shower this morning.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

Carol

• mara51506

Just got dressed, really cold so wore two pairs of the lightly fleeced leggings, they are a bit bulky but should keep my bottom warmer. Must get stuff mailed and my ingredients purchased. It is dry, cold and windy but I don't care. I will remember gloves this time, forgot them last time. Also called SIL since we were supposed to shop tomorrow if we could go today. I offered to drop the drive request and my store in favour of where they want to go. She said that was fine. I just don't want to chance the ice. I know it melts but they are really saying how bad it will be. I will be checking the front and back door and if I see no salt, am going to email the property manager but waiting to see the weather as it could change, never know.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

It’s cold on the mountain too, 27 but the feels like temp is 13 with 30+ mph wind gusts. And, we forgot to put a space heater in the travel trailer, so no running water until the lines thaw out. We’ve got several 5 gal jugs for drinking, just nothing for washing up. Might turn the heat on in the beach bar and do some painting or cleaning, the day will drag if I don’t find something to do.

Hi to all 😁🥶

• sadiesservant

Oh Mae! I got behind on this thread and didn’t know you were having water issues. I admire your tenacity. I would be looking for a hotel about now!

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,535

Sunshine thanks for flu shot reminder!!!

Mara your chocolate pb dessert sounds delicious.

Mae I understand that nothing to do feeling.

Mel congratulations on the room numbers. You had such a wonderful touching invitation to start this thread.

Sending hugs to all

Tanya

• mara51506

Mae, hope the water issues sort themselves or get sorted soon.

Tanya, they are delicious and worth the long walk. I did manage to get my cards mailed but still wanted the chocolate chips, peanut butter and peanuts, unable to find semi sweet chips. I did have to stop at Mc D's for an emergency snack as I was starting to feel like low blood sugar was setting in. Cheeseburger and small coke stat. Ate about 1/2 the burger and drank the coke and headed to the grocery store and home. Still really liking my cane. Have to shop more with older DB and fam tonight as I did not want to be out if there was going to be a ton of freezing rain.

As far as the chocolate peanut clusters, I did forget the wax paper but that can wait as I will mostly make them instead of buying chocolate bars.

• illimae

No big deal on the water, it’s too cold for me to get into and out of a shower and I am not eager to do any dishes. We’ve got plenty to drink and hopefully once the lines thaw, we’ll be able to prevent further freezing.

I mostly finished painting a table for the beach bar, now I’m back in bed with puppies, not a bad day.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Good news on my scans! No progression! Labs looked good too, nothing too out of the expected abnormal. This week is the third anniversary of my metastatic cancer diagnosis and I am just happy to be stable. It's never a guarantee so I'm really grateful for that news and in light of it, all else is manageable. I see my MO tomorrow to go over everything.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,165

Well, here I am, hanging out with the popular kids. How the heck did that happen?! LOL

I've been MIA for a bit. I was gone a week, then it's hard to jump back in.

We went on our cruise. Had a great time, of course. It was a looong travel day home. Came home and slept most of two days. We've been pretty busy since then. We took my car back to the body shop (an hour away) for rework. Next day, we had one more medical appointment for DH (1.25 hours away different direction) - all clear - hurray! Today, I had my PET-CT Scan (1.25 hours away - another different direction) and then had to pick up my car (1 1/2 hours from MO, then an hour home). My DH is tired of driving and I'm tired of riding. Lol. We love our lake house and little town, but we're about an hour from most things - except the Wal-Mart- that's only 45 minutes. Lolol.

Thank goodness for online shopping; my last Christmas presents are arriving this weekend and no driving required! I think one more Walmart trip for final holiday groceries...and flipping scotch tape, cuz I can't find any and it's hard to wrap presents without it. :/

Mae - do you have any kind of skirting under your travel trailer? I've seen people do it around here, and I'm assuming it's to help protect from the weather.

Mel - I'm glad your mom is settling in. And, that your DH spearheaded the Christmas cookie making. :)

So many struggling - I've been hanging around in your pockets, unannounced.

Mara - you are so busy and creative. You always seem to have a plan, and sometimes a Plan B.

Emac - Yay for clear scans!

Waving to KBL, Tanya, Candy, Booboo, LivingIVLife, Sunshine, SusaninSF, Kitty, Sadiesservant, Kikomoon, and...everyone.

• mara51506

Emac, very happy to hear about your great scan! That must feel great indeed.

Seeq, glad you enjoyed the cruise and finished your Christmas shopping, you must feel accomplished which is great..

It is super windy and cold here. I froze last night when the winds started up, drafty windows. I am wearing a jacket and will put on a hat, I do have a heater I can use. We did get freezing rain so home I will stay until I get my spiked cane. I have not checked the steps yet and I know there is no salt. I put on some proper fleece pants over the fleece lined leggings and the hat is helping, heater helping too. Windows are super old and drafty, I would use that stuff you can put over but the cats fight so much, it would be destroyed so for now, just a blanket, hat and jacket will do. I just do not remember the apartment feeling this cold past couple of winters.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Emac- Congrats on the stable scans!!!!! Have a Happy Holiday.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,050

yay Emac

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Emac- yay for stable!

Seeq- glad you enjoyed your cruise. It does seem like you are going in all long different driving directions. I am also grateful for online shopping although when we added up all that was spent I almost had a heart attack!

Mara- we put the plastic up on the windows at the front of the house because depending on where the wind blows it can be quite cold. Would the cats run up the windows? I wonder if the owners decided to keep the heat on lower temperatures. Can you get a small heater?

Mae- been there done that! No hot water is the pits!

• sunshine99

emac, I'm happy for your good scan results!

mara, I hope you can stay warm!

Seeq, it sounds like you need a vacation after your vacation!

mel, thinking of you and your sister.

To the rest of the lovely ladies, I hope you all have a peaceful day.

Carol

• mara51506

Living, they fight in front of the window all the time so it would be destroyed quickly. Normal winds don't make my place feel so cold but these are strong easterly winds. I have a heater in front and put a heavier fleece pair of pants on. I am more comfortable now. I also baked beans in the breville which created some heat that way too. I will be all right. I am thinking of going to marks.com to order some fleece shirts, not jackets and they should help as well.

Well, my sweet tooth is happy. I mixed up 2 teaspoons of choc chips, 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and put in microwave for 30 seconds, mixed together, added 1 tsp of peanuts to the melted contents and just ate them like that. I think that since I am the one consuming them, I don't need to let them firm up, the tiny measurements mean I can make them on the fly and still get that chocolate taste I am craving without downing an entire chocolate bar. I could probably allow this twice a day, we will see how it works out, almost a warm pudding if you will. Ooh, just wondered how adding a equivalent amount of cool whip would be, I will make room in my freezer for the cool whip. Now I can see micro desserts all over the place.

• micmel

thank you Sunshine, my sis has chemo today. We hate the word. We say the poisonous juice. They don’t really think it’s working. They are thinking bone marrow problems. I’m hanging in there. Trying anyway.

Mae~ I can’t imagine you not being popular with your spirit and attitude! You seem easy to hang out with. And have a darn good sense of humor. Which I love! I hope the heat thing resolves soon.

Love to all you ladies. Kikomoon? Been around?

• illimae
    Emac, congrats on stable 🎉

Seeq, no skirting but DH put some heat tape stuff on the tanks, unfortunately, it was the water lines we forgot about. We opened the cabinets and put a space heater on, all good now.

Micmel, nope never popular. Face to face I’m not good with people I don’t know really well. I am often described as aloof, which is true, at least until I’m liqored up, lol
  • booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mae,

Well, that’s not at all how I would describe you. You are creative, fun, expressive, tough when you need to be, and enormously kind when you rescued those precious pups. You are many things, as we all are. But most of all, you are our dear, dear Mae!

• sadiesservant

Micmel, sorry your sister’s chemo may not be working. It must be very difficult for both of you.

Emac, great news stable Mabel! I’m now in the wait and see mode. Had my CT this morning so likely won’t have results until early next week. Sigh….

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

emac - love the stable report - especially as the holidays approach.

Mel -thinking of you and your sister. I pray her team can find the right treatment🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thinking of all you dear sisters in Mel’s living room. I’m struggling a bit - we have had cloudy skies for almost 2 weeks. Oh to see the sun! The cold weather is doing a number on my joints. I hear them screaming take me to Arizona🤣🤣🤣🤣. I’m 8 1/2 weeks from knee replacement. Was discharged from PT on Wednesday and saw my Ortho yesterday who said I’m well ahead of the game. Good to hear but I know many are still struggling from this tuff surgery and recovery. Next is left shoulder replacement, which hopefully will be right after groundhog’s day. I was so impressed with my Ortho - he said he would be glad to do my shoulder surgery but he felt I would be better served by one of his partners who specializes in shoulder surgery. My current Ortho said that in the past year he has only done 10 shoulder replacements whereas his partner only does shoulders. It’s so nice to find a doctor with such honesty and integrity. In the meantime we’re still trying to get to the bottom of my severe fatigue and shortness of breath. Had a nuclear cardiac stress test yesterday and am expecting a call from my internist sometime today with results. The nuclear medicine caused a chemical reaction to stress the heart as there was no way I could walk on a treadmill. I just want answers - I literally find it difficult to do anything. Walking from one room to another leaves me sitting to catch my breath😰😰😰😰.

• mara51506

Today looks and feels much better than yesterday. The fierce easterly winds have calmed and it is actually sunny today. May venture out to see if it is still slippery though we were above freezing. If not slippery, will most likely just take a couple of walks around the block. My spike attachment for the cane is coming tomorrow and so if it does snow alot of do some freezing rain, I will be ready.

Laundry underway, making black beans, beefless ground and cheese with wheat bran on top. I am baking the beans as I do like the crunchier texture. Later today, will make the liquid version of the chocolate peanut cluster, just eat it without putting in the fridge. Will also stick with the teaspoon measurements as well. Very low cal but very nice tasting as well. May get coolwhip from the grocery store as well. We'll see.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,535

Good morning ladies

SeeQ welcome home. I really feel for you guys with all that driving-so tiring. But you had a lovely cruise and got everything done!

Mara my mom stays warm like you extra clothes. She’s comfortable like that and doesn’t like a lot of heat because of her breathing. I thought it was the price of oil and it’s probably some of that too. Stay warm and cozy.

Emac congrats on stable. You are so right about no guarantees.

Sunshine 99 nice to see you in the room.

Mel pocket duty for your sisters chemo. That’s how I started thinking of chemo as poison and toxic and then my dear friend helped me reframe it as a healing medicine. I know that doesn’t do anything for the reality of the side effects but the hope is for it to work.

Mae yay for getting the pipes unfrozen. That used to happen in our kitchen when I lived in NY. We actually had to do insulation underneath the house.

Booboo good to see you. How did the storms affect you? Are you getting used to the cold again?

Sadieservant pocket duty for you as you wait on scan results

Goldens I’m glad your knee replacement is working and that your doctor has integrity! I hope they resolve breathing issues soon.

Waving hello to Candy kikomoon KBL Kitty Runor and many more.

Tany

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,949

Hi, all. I’ve been quiet but reading along. I feel so bad for those struggling.

I had a bladder infection last week and literally would want to give birth instead. Those are excruciating. Had antibiotics and feel much better.

Had an endoscopy Wednesday just to keep an eye on my stomach and am probably going to have some Caris testing to make sure I’m still Her2 low. I’ve been on Xeloda and Faslodex for 15 months and am still keeping my tumor markers down. I’m so grateful.

I’ve finally moved my address to my north Florida house on ten acres. I hope I’m not forgetting to change my address on everything. I lived in the same house for 38 years.

We bought a new RV, and since we got a nice upgrade, I told my husband it’s a good way to force me to do some traveling. I’m such a homebody.

Thank you to all waving hi. Hi back.

Hugs to you all.

• illimae

KBL, let me know if you travel to Texas 😀

Booboo, I appreciate the kind words.

Good morning, just coffee and catching up here. I did see my PCP recently about a knee problem, in addition to arthritis in the right seen that the trial onc saw on my bone scan, I also have a torn meniscus, not fun at all, trying to take it easy.

• mara51506

Goldens in your pocket for the cold weather pain and for future surgeries as well. Hoping they figure out soon what is causing the shortness of breath for you. My mother went through similar symptoms with the shortness of breath and she was too the point of being unable to walk to and from the car when we were at the condo.

KBL, UTIs are miserable, sorry you had to experience that pain.

Tanya, my apartment is much warmer now that the winds are from the north west. My windows are east and bedroom is south facing so I am comfortable today, took off the fleece pants.

Mel, you are still in my thoughts as well as your family, sending strength your way.

Emac, I am so glad you are stable, that is wonderful news.

Quiet day as per usual, laundry on the go. Going to add more grated laundry soap to my detergent mix, I just take the grated stuff, put it in a chopper and add some of the premade mix and dump it in. It will take a long time to run out of stuff.

I am also enjoying my chocolate peanut butter and peanut pudding. They are supposed to be turned into clusters but I am enjoying them on the fly. I have managed to stay small with the measurements, usually a tablespoon of choc chips, 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter and tablespoon of peanut butter. I am basically getting my chocolate fix. I do find that I still occasionally eat out of the peanut butter jar as supper which is bad, will need to maybe premake meals if this continues.

I have naan smaller circles of bread, probably will try to keep making pizzas out of them, the first one was pretty good. Hotdogs may be in order as I have some chicken weiners, might melt some cheese and pop the chicken weiner in, I think that sounds like a good breakfast.

My cane attachment with the spiky points is coming today, see I will need to be careful to install it so the spikes face out to the left so I don't rip pants but I think when winter truly does set in, I will be ready, shoes have spikes and a spiky cane will help. Walking sticks are going to feature heavily in the future. I will say, when out with DB shopping, I am capable without a cane of walking quickly and with confidence but the cane will likely be a permanent fixture for me as well. Looking to also get a fold up cane as well for cancer clinic trips.

• micmel

Hi Mara~ thank you sweet friend. Hugs to you.

Mae~ torn meniscus equals no fun ! I’m very sorry!

• sunshine99

mae, that sounds really painful!

kbl, bladder infections are horrible. I'm glad the antibiotics cleared it up. I had one recently (six months ago, maybe?) and asked the PA to give me the "little pill that turns your urine deep orange."

mara, I hope you're staying warm. I like my little space heater in my den. Bathroom was 52 degrees this morning. Kitchen is 55.8 right now. I may find something to bake.

mel, tanya, emac, goldens, sadiesservant, booboo (and everyone one the previous page that I've missed) I wish you a peaceful day.

Love and hugs to all,

Carol