Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lita57

Options

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,892
    Options

Sandi~I send her a text every single day. I believe she reads. Here and there. She is trying to not live anything cancer. She is hanging in there but she is relying strongly on her husband. He's a wonderful man for her. I will tell her in the morning that you were asking about her! I promise. Sweet woman.

Hello Lita.... hope you're also hanging in there ! P.s your tree is absolutely gorgeous. Fabulous choice ! Wow decorated perfectly. Well done for sure !

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Thanks Micmel! Merry Christmas to you and holding everyone's hands as we dive into 2019.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    Options

Oh Sandi...so sorry about your strike three baking attempts. Bummer!

DD and i baked a little over 12 dozen cookies between yesterday and today. I had to wear my back brace and keep sitting down, but we got the job done. The cookies will be gifts to friends and family, and now I'm pooped.

Just doing an easy roast beef with simple sides for Christmas dinner.

I put my old owl in the tree in remembrance of Patty. I know we all miss her. May God bless all the dear families who've lost wives, mothers, sisters, nieces, cousins and others to cancer this year. The first Christmas without them is really hard.

May we all be here to celebrate one more Christmas next year.

L

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650
    Options

Bless you Lita, Merry Christmas all!

• sharmal
    sharmal Member Posts: 26
    Options

Merry Christmas to all of you.Wishing season's greetings with lots of love,care and happiness.

With hope and love.

Lalit.

• cling
    cling Member Posts: 263
    Options

Lita, you are such a tough cookie!!

Yes, may we all be here to celebrate for another Christmas! Happy holidays to all !

• Lita57
    Options

Do what brings you joy in 2019.

Spending New Year's Eve making home made gnocchi potato dumplings with the family.

They're easy to make, but I haven't made them in years because they are rather labor intensive yet so worth it. Freezing an addl batch for later. Topped one batch w.sage butter and mushroom sauce, the other w.simple pesto sauce. The trick is not to overwork the dough. They should melt in your mouth.

Happy New Year, dear sisters

L

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Happy New Year, Lita!

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    Options

Happy New Year 🎆🎊 Lita and all our dear sisters and brothers.

We’re having a quiet New Year’s Eve at our house.

Wishing peaceful year with many blessings and good health to all.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Lita..teach me to cook..please. Happy New Year to you and maybe, just maybe I will try to make delicious recipes, like yours, in 2019. We will see!

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    Options

Lita, do you make with potato flour or do you cook the potatoes

• Lita57
    Options

I peel the potatoes, boil until fork tender, then put them through a ricer.

Depending on how many potatoes I use, I add either one or two eggs and regular AP flour. It's VERY easy...it just makes a mess of the kitchen. It's fun to have some one roll out and cut the logs (1/2 inch to 3/4 inch pieces) and another to put them in the boiling water and then fish them out with a spider when they're done. They only take a couple of minutes to cook. I don't do that fork thing with the tines of the fork b'cuz the more you handle gnocchi the tougher they become, and my family doesn't care if they have the fork indentations or not.

They just want to eat 'em :o).

L

• bella2013
    bella2013 Member Posts: 370
    Options

Lita,

My husband loves gnocchi. What kind of potatoes do you recommend and do you recommend a particular ricer?

Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year

• Lita57
    Options

Russett potatoes and any sturdy ricer will do.

L

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,613
    Options

So smashed taters, flour and egg? That's it? No oil or salt or water? It can't be that easy.

• Lita57
    Options

You do need to salt to taste. I have bad cnemo related edema, so I REALLY have to warch my sodium or my legs blow up like tree stumps.

L

• Lita57
    Options

New wool hat for winter. It's a dark teal color. Hair still has big bald spots, and will probably not grow back since it's been over a year.

L

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    Options

Lita, your hair may be gone, but you are still here, my friend, inspiring all of us daily. I dont post much, but I've been a follower of yours since lovely Kandy created this thread for you.Decided it was time to say thank you. Happy New Year.

Sunset

• JanetMara
    JanetMara Member Posts: 147
    Options

Hi Lita,

My prayers for you to be comfortable.

About your feet/legs,if you can lie down on your back and keep your feet as high as you can against the wall and do ankle pumps,it helps reduce your edema and improve the circulation of your legs/feet. Do a lot of deep breathing exercises at least 10x each time as often as you remember to oxygenate the vital organs of your body.

Sincerely,

Juamara

• Lita57
    Options

Good to know, Juamara...I try to keep my feet/legs up as much as I can and do ankle pumps and foot circles to keep everything moving.

I put on open-toed support stockings as soon as I get out of bed in the morning. As with everything else, some days are better than others. I've also found that one has to DRINK fluids to GET RID of fluid retention.

I also have "purpuras" which are those reddish/purple spots just under the skin from the Gemcitabine chemo - mostly on my arms, chest and torso. They don't hurt, but they look like skin cancers, so I have to keep them covered up or people look at me weird and ask rude questions.SadThumbsDown

One of the things that really annoys me is that my DD and I watch a lot of cooking shows to get ideas on how to expand our repertoire of dishes, and it's amazing how much salt some of them use...I mean, HANDFULS! Their pinches of salt look more like a 1/4 to 1/2 teas to me.

My dad had high BP, and my mom learned to cook w/out using a lot of sodium, using herbs and spices instead of salt, and that has carried over to my cooking. Unfortunately, when you bake you have to use baking soda/powder as a leavening agent, and that contributes to the daily sodium load.

L

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    Options

Lita.

Have you ever tried sodium-free or reduced-sodium baking soda or baking powder?

I've never used them. From my quick research here, it looks very possible. Maybe some recipes will need to be tweaked.

https://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/...
    also had a Healthy Substitution chart

https://www.google.com/ search:
    sodium-free or reduced-sodium baking soda or
    sodium-free or reduced-sodium baking powder

Good luck!

Madelyn

• Lita57
    Options

i haven't seen these in any stores. May have to order on line.

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    Options

thank you for the gnocchi explanations and how to

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    Options

Lita, I just have to say I love your new hat! Beautiful style and color, and looks fabulous on you! Happy New Year.

• JanetMara
    JanetMara Member Posts: 147
    Options

Hi Lita,

Yes,plenty of fluids help,it also flushes the toxic effects of chemo from your body. So long as you do not have HEART FAILURE,fluids is good. I hope your heart was not affected by your chemo. (I have to be careful and monitor my heart because Herceptin weakens my heart.)Take a lot of deep breathing exercises at least 10x each time especially before going to bed,it helps oxygenate your vital organs and tissues.

Juamara

• Chemokaze
    Chemokaze Member Posts: 177
    Options

Hi Lita! Hope you're having a good week. I got an InstantPot for Christmas, so I need to find some recipes. I hope it works better than a crock pot.

• Lita57
    Options

Has anyone heard from Zarovka? She was last seen on the boards in October 2018.

Kinda concerned.

Dianarose is still active (latest activity, 2 wks ago on 1/14).

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else was concerned about them too.

L

• Lita57
    Options

Had an appt with physical therapist to start lymphedema massage in my legs. One of the major SE's of Gemzar is chemo swelling (water retention).

DH will be helping me with the gentle leg massage to help get things flowing again.

L

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

Lita, I know she had some concerns and was shifting her focus to family matters. I don’t know how she is doing but I’m Fitbit friends with her from the stage IV fitness group and can say that she is still getting steps, although not many. Perhaps, someone will provide more updated info.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

Hi all. There are several asking about Z on other threads. I think we are all worried as she stepped away so abruptly. Illimae, that's a bit disconcerting as her last messages indicated that she was still pretty much "full on" in terms of exercise, fasting, etc. Fewer steps just doesn't sound like Zarovka. Hope all is well.

Lita, just have to say... You're one of my heroes! Pat