Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lita57

Options

Comments

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746
    Options

Hi Lita!

Hope you’re hangin in there and enjoying the massages from DH :)

I haven’t heard from Z either. I saw what Illimae did...just a few steps compared to her old 50000+ step weeks.

Hoping she’s finding successful treatments. Good to hear Dianarose checked in, too.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    Options

Latest project...hair cutting scissors pouch and placemats from leftover material. I will make a couple more bigger pouches for my regular scissors. Have to do something while my eyes still work or I'll go crazy. Can't just watch tv in the la.z.boy all day.

• MJHJAN1014
    MJHJAN1014 Member Posts: 622
    Options

Beautiful choice of fabric, Lita. I adore paisley. DianaRose did contact Micmel to say she was entering hospice and would only be communicating with family. I don't remember exactly when it was, but must have been in the last couple weeks.

We all have been so concerned about Z, who had been such a force on these threads. I pray that she is doing well.

Best, MJH

• Chemokaze
    Chemokaze Member Posts: 177
    Options

Those are lovely, Lita!

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,745
    Options

Hopefully Zs ears are ringing and she pops back in!!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,592
    Options

I’d love an update and hope she’s well too.

Beautiful placemats Lita 🙂

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    Options

Lita. Lovely placemats. I love the scissor case idea. Sending prayers for Z. and all of you. Lita you are amazing. I had a scare with a retina tear. Scary but laser surgery did the trick. I'm so blessed. Mair

• Mominator
    Mominator Member Posts: 1,173
    Options

illimae: If you're Fitbit friends with Z, can you message her through the Fitbit app itself? My DS often messages me through Fitbit.

Good luck. I'm worried about Z as well. This is a long time for her to be off the boards.

Brendatrue and I have exchanged PMs. She is doing well right now, and very busy with family. 

• illimae
    Options

Mominator, I sent Z a message back in August but received no reply. I then PM’d iwrite who had met Z in person. After that, Z updated BCO saying she was focusing on family, so I left it at that, not wanting to push. Like everyone she helped and inspired, I’d love to see her back, hopefully she’ll drop us a line 🙂

• Lita57
    Options

I will be taking a break from the threads for a while.

My eyes are REALLY, REALLY bad. It's getting too hard for me to focus and read or even type. I can't sew or do craft projects anymore either. DH is going to have to help me organize the tax documents before we see our accountant because I can't do tjat anymore either.

I will be seeing the opthamologist next week.

All my best, L

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    Options

Lita,

You are loved here. Please don't disappear for good.

Sunset

• wam
    wam Member Posts: 98
    Options

Lita, I am so sorry you are having such problems. I am praying for your comfort and some peace. I hope they find something to kick Mr. Cancer's thorny a#@!.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 671
    Options

HI Lita,

Thanks for letting us know and I hope they can help you with your eyes so that you're more comfortable and get to the many projects that are on your mind.

Much love,

Jen

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    Options

Dear Lita I am praying for you and hope the eye doc can give yo some relief. We all love you here. I hope you know how much you mean to all of us. God bless you and your family . Maire

• Mominator
    Options

Lita,

Thank you for letting us know. I hope your eye doctor had some options for you, so you can get back to your many wonderful projects if you wish.

Please know that we are praying for you and wishing you all the best. Maybe you can have hubby read our love to you and update us once in a while.

Sending you much love,

Madelyn

• LoveFromPhilly
    LoveFromPhilly Member Posts: 1,019
    Options

dear Lita,

Sending you love and positive healing thoughts to you and especially your eyes. I hope your opthlamologist rocks and helps you with your vision and you can return to regular activities very soon. Hugs! Brenda

• josgirl
    josgirl Member Posts: 61
    Options

Lisa,

All my very best. Your honesty and hope in the midst of everything has been an inspiration especially to those of us that read but post rarely - your messages made me laugh and cry and want to do more with the time I have! Hope the eye doc can resolve some of the issues so you can keep on crafting and cooking. Much love!

Josee

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    Options

Lita you truly are amazing with all you do. Yes, thanks for letting us all know about the thread break. Hoping the eye doc works magic for your eyes, so you can continue all you do and enjoying life. Sending love and positive healing energy, too.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    Options

Lita, this reminds me of you. I love how you make everyday count. You are a great role model for us.

• Liwi
    Liwi Member Posts: 249
    Options

That is a great cartoon, inspiring just like Lita.

• Lita57
    Options

I made this Turkey Pot Pie for dinner this evening. It was great...found a good recipe on the internet and only made a few modifications. Here's the recipe below...I will definitely be making this again. (Tip: Roast the turkey thighs the day before and SAVE the juices, scraping the fat off the top - it works better than canned or carton chicken broth/stock).Turkey has way more flavor than chicken...I will NEVER make another chicken one again!

1 large or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

2-3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices

1 medium onion, chopped

2 celery ribs, diced

1 cup diced mushrooms (optional)

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

6-8 tablespoons all-purpose flour (use 8 tablespoons – ½ cup if you want thicker gravy)

3 cups chicken broth – I used the dripping from the roasted thighs

4 cups cubed cooked turkey – BE SURE USE THE DARK MEAT, if possible, it has way more flavor

2/3 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream or WHOLE milk

1 teaspoon garlic salt (I went with POWDER to keep the sodium lower)

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Poultry seasoning, thyme, Italian seasoning, sage

1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry, or one package Jiffy pie crust mix

1 large egg (optional – I just used milk for the top)

THIS MAKES TWO nine-inch PIES or ONE large Casserole Pie. You can cut ingredients in half for just one pie nine-inch pie.

Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven, sauté potatoes, carrots, onion, celery and mushrooms in butter and oil until fork tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in turkey, peas, 1/2 cup cream/milk, herbs, garlic powder, and pepper. BE SURE TO TASTE IN CASE YOU NEED EXTRA HERBS/SEASONING!

Spoon into two ungreased 9-in. pie plates or one large casserole. Roll out pastry to fit top of each pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut out a decorative center or cut slits in pastry. In a small bowl, whisk egg and remaining tablespoon milk/cream; brush over pastry. Sprinkle extra herbs on the top of the crust to make it extra savory if you like.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown, rotating once after 20 min. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.

Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pot pies up to 3 months. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Place pie on a baking sheet; cover edge loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; remove foil. Bake 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°.

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    Options

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!

• illimae
    Options

Thanks Lita, just took screenshots of the recipe 😀

• Beatmon
    Beatmon Member Posts: 617
    Options

So glad to hear from you and thanks for planning dinner tomorrow night for m

• Mominator
    Options

Looks delicious, Lita. Thanks for sharing.

It's really nice to see you. I hope you're feeling well (as well as possible).

• Lita57
    Options

imagel

Looks like it may turn into another shittin' pants weekend.

I'm wearing mine to bed with an absorbant doggie pee pee pad beneath me for extra protection, sigh...😣😮😑

• Lita57
    Options

HERE'S MY RANT FOR THE MONTH: I have contacted some of these questionable law firms regarding their lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson and Shower to Shower because they feel that talc causes ovarian cancer.

I have spoken to their "receptionists," telling them I know their lawyers probably won't call me back, but that's okay…the call is being recorded, so I hope the boys and girls will at least LISTEN to the recordings.

I think these lawsuit procedures against Johnson & Johnson and Shower to Shower are a bunch of bull crap. First of all, ovarian cancer is NOT a common cancer, like breast cancer where ONE OUT OF 8 WOMEN will get breast cancer in her lifetime – 12.5%; and only ONE OUT OF 78 WOMEN will get ovarian cancer in her lifetime (LESS than 1% - actually it's only ONE TENTH – 1/10 – of 1% who will get it). So, you guys are suing the company for billions of dollars even though there are way more breast cancer patients than ovarian cancer patients out there? Does that seem fair? I have canisters of Gold Bond Powder and Monkey Butt Anti-Friction powder in my bathroom, and the FIRST ingredient on both of these is, you guessed it, TALC! Why aren't you guys suing them, too? Oh, no….we'd much rather sue the people who have the deepest pockets so we attorneys can get the MAXIMUM for our efforts (as you know, most attorneys will get AT LEAST 40% from the settlements, if not more). Yes, J & J has admitted that there is talc in some of their products, and they also use zea mays, or cornstarch, in some of their other products. Based on their prior knowledge, it's probably easier for the corporation to just "roll over" and pay out the settlements rather than fight it. The little blonde who does the talking in the commercials says that J & J "failed to tell the consumers." Oh, come on! All one has to do is read the powder canister to see what the ingredients are! Oops, I forgot…nobody reads anything anymore.

My first question when I call these firms is have any of these women had their DNA tested for genetic mutations? "A" does not always lead to "B." Some mutated genes will predispose a woman to ovarian cancer, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with talc. Second question: Have any of these women had AUTOPSIES after they've passed to determine if there actually IS TALC in the tissues of their ovaries? No one has gotten back to me, and I seriously doubt that they ever will. I'm sure, as with other cancers, some of the women might have NEVER even used powder, and they STILL got ovarian cancer…it could have been caused by a douching product or something else.

As with lung cancer, some patients NEVER smoked in their lifetimes and weren't exposed to a lot of second-hand smoke and they still got lung cancer! Who do they get to sue? They can't sue R. J. Reynolds because they never smoked their products, and even if they did, these people knew the risks because each pack and carton of cigarettes has a warning on the side of the pack/carton. Incidentally, my father smoked for decades and lived to be 85 – never got cancer, and my oldest brother, who is almost 70, still smokes and he doesn't have cancer. So once again, "A" doesn't always lead to "B."

I always end on this point: So, who do my Stage IV terminal/metastatic breast cancer sisters and I get to sue, especially those of us whose cancers were Dx'd Stage IV De Novo, even after we had our mammograms every year religiously? Do we sue the mammogram machine manufacturers because they could not detect our cancers even after repeated scans year after year? European women drink more than we do, and they have higher breast cancer rates, so that lends credence to the statement that there is "a connection" between alcohol consumption and increased risk of breast cancer. Can we sue Robert Mondavi, Glen Ellen, Sebastiani, or Turley Vineyards? Or is it too late because we already know there is a link between the two?

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-with-the-highest-incidence-of-breast-cancer-in-the-world.html (Here's the link to support this)

My third question: Did they bring any of these "afflicted" women in and question their application practices or their mutation status? It seems like a "far reach" to me as well because the powder itself has quite a ways to travel: Going up the vaginal canal, through the cervix, climbing up the uterine wall, splitting up between the fallopian tubes and finally entering the ovaries. In order to get that much powder up in there, these women would have to pour a big pile of powder on their palms, spread their legs, and SLAM it up there! Didn't their mothers show them how to apply it the correct way?

I'm getting sick and tired of seeing these commercials on TV day after day, especially when there's more than one law firm trying to reap a "big pay off." I also tell the receptionists that I'm over sixty years old, and I've been using J & J powder all my life. Even as a baby, my mother only used their products on thel five of us kids. After all those years, I didn't get ovarian cancer. Because of my Stage IV status, I have body scans EVERY three months, so if I did have ovarian cancer, don't you think it would have shown up on one of them by now?

As far as I'm concerned, if the prosecuting attorneys DID NOT perform supporting DNA mutation tests and autopsies, there is no direct connection between talc and ovarian cancer.

I always thank the receptionists for taking my call, and being very courteous and polite, letting me talk as long as I need to (and I try not to drag it out too long, just bringing up the concerns listed above).

Dear ladies, if you'd like to join me in bombarding these firms with your concerns and complaints regarding these lawsuits too, please PM me. I don't want to include their names and numbers here in this post out of respect for their privacy.

L

(Cross posted on "Steam Room for Anger)

• Chemokaze
    Chemokaze Member Posts: 177
    Options

Applause and hootin' and hollerin'....excellent post, Lita! And I busted out laughing about the powder application!

Sometime I will share my own crazy story about my first primary breast cancer diagnosis in 1996. I had a prior breast issue at the age of 29 in 1993 and was misdiagnosed.....I was one angry young woman on a legal mission to find the truth about how the system failed me.

• masonsmawmaw
    masonsmawmaw Member Posts: 119
    Options

Well said Lita!!