Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STEAM ROOM FOR ANGER

Options

Comments

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,396
    Options

bcincolorado - I think ctmbsikia has a real good suggestion. I can sympathize with your feelings. Maybe you could tell your son that you aren't feeling super "social" or even well, and that you'd like to just have your mother over and since she is in her 80's you don't think she should be exposed to so many others right now with Covid, etc., and that you'd love to visit with him and his kids over the week-end. I don't see how that could offend anyone. Your mother might really appreciate it too. I have several friends who now spread their Thanksgiving week-end out over the days and see other family and friends in "small groups" at various times over the holiday. It seems to work well for many. I even have one friend who's family have moved their celebration to that Saturday, as it allows a brother to come up from another state without all the usual traffic. It also allows the others then to join other family or friends on actual T-day.

Covid still is a very important factor in social gatherings these days. I don't think I'd want to be with a crowd this Thanksgiving, and am still pondering just what I will do. I don't think you should feel bad at all, and hope that you arrive at a solution you are not just comfortable, but happy, with. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,641
    Options

bcincolorado, I say do Thanksgiving the way that makes you happy. Your picture of just you and your mom sounds perfect! Not that you need a valid excuse, but you could always use your health as a reason to stay home. Maybe your son could come visit YOU on the weekend.

Ccm, this is your first holiday without your husband, right? I hope the mini vacation with your kids is fun.

We're going to my dad's place for Thanksgiving. My sister and her husband will be there. I'm looking forward to it.

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

It all seems like so much work no matter what and kind of like an excuse to over eat sometimes and then you feel bad because of that and you were trying to be "good" for long. At home we do things with fake sugar and low carb and no salt at least because of health issues. Lean turkey is not bad in moderation. My mom has even taken to having a baked sweet potato instead of mashed sometimes.

My uncle emailed (older than my mom and having his 86th birthday in a week and half and Stage IV cancer he has been dealing with) emailed he was out somewhere and was notified he was near someone who tested positive for COVID. Now even though vaccinated he does not trust the home tests and is scheduling to the doctor to be checked out again. With the chemo drugs he is on he is worried I know. Told him he just needs to stay home all the time and let his kids bring his food to him from the store.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

ok this site still sucks since it was changed. I saw where someone wanted to start a new forum where people checked in on occasion to track how they were doing with and without AL's. If I wasn't so dang lazy, I would look for it. I'm in if someone can give me the name of it as my brain doesn't remember. I started taking the exemestane in august with the usual SE but not as bad LOL. However, I am getting more heart palpitations and am wondering if this might be a SE. So I am only taking it on the odd days of the week. I decided on odd days since every other wasn't working for me.I know it's the same thing but filling my pill reminder just wasn't working. I'm pretty sure when I see onco in Feb I will be done with these meds. I know.....I say this every few months. A friend of mine is newly dx, having her MRI this month. I haven't recommended this site as I wonder is it a good thing or not? I have mixed feelings about it. I like the support and seeing how everyone is but since the data breach I see less people checking in.

bcincolorado, a small gathering sounds like the way to go. Our family is up to 45 people and some of them still want to get together. It's too much!!! I can't stand the noise and the drama. My daughter and granddaughter will come here. Other daughter and her wife sometimes come but it depends on their dog's wellbeing. Son has inlaws he has to keep happy. If it's just a little gathering thats fine with us. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all. I wish we celebrated in Oct like Canada does.

• bcincolorado
    Options

I do not even remember the data issue and have been here a long time. I did think the other site was more "user friendly" and some of us are not as techie as other people and think some of that is the issue as well.

I do think there is a "select a forum" on the new upgraded site at the bottom but think with the colors t is harder to see. Kind of on the bottom. There may be others with that same medication as well.

If you do see your MO until Feb again and think you are having SE do you have a way to send messages to your MO and have either the doc or nurse answer you about that? If nothing else put in a call since I am not sure I would want to wait that long with heart things going on. Best wishes to you.

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 295
    Options
  • bcincolorado
    Options

Well DD called and their Thanksgiving planned changed and now staying at our house and coming on Tuesday before and going home on Friday. Not a big deal for us since love my DD and do we do not see them often since live a state away. Then DH told me since my mom is here and they are going to be here for dinner our son said his wife had to work and it would just be him and kids trying to figure out Thanksgiving so DH said to invite them too and my neice and her her husband and daughter who live here too so now I will end up having not just 3 of us (us and my mom and low key) it will drama with 8 more coming including the grands. Love them all but a ton of work and I do get tired.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

Ask everyone to bring their favorite dish, then fill in what else you need. Men can cook too! Especially when TOLD to. And it is a great time for grandkids to set the table! They need to learn sometime and around family is best. Spread the fun around!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    Options

My grocery store here, Publix, does a great dinner. Heat and eat. Can order a bunch of the usual sides too. We’ve done it for several years, much easier and always good. The biggest hassle is getting the big box in the house. There will be 6 of us. I’ll make a chess pie, DD will make a pumpkin. Dinner is done.

• nopink2019
    nopink2019 Member Posts: 384
    Options

spookiesmom, I make chess pies too. A favorite!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    Options

They are good!!!

• threetree
    Options

bcincolorado - I agree with Spookiesmom that you might want to check out local grocery store offerings. So many put the whole thing together in a box now and all you need to do is re-heat, and add your own "favorites" or special touches, etc. After my mother died and my father wasn't as up to things as he had been (he was in his late 80's) he started ordering from the grocery store too, and then I would do the reheating at his house. The first year after she died, he wanted the two of us to try and do the whole thing like before, but neither one of us had enough energy (I was in my late 50's and he was in his late 80's). For those last few years he was alive it was just him, my brother, and me - circumstances had just kind of left the 3 of us to have holidays together at my parents' old house. After a few years, my father got so bad (but still insisted on being the host and primary provider) it was too much for him to even do the grocery store re-heat thing, so we decided to just do our regular Sunday get together thing, where we all just had a sandwich - we just made sure they were turkey that last year of his life, and then I brought pecan pie (his favorite) and wine. That turned out to be a real nice Thanksgiving and just that pie, ice cream, and wine added to our turkey sandwich fare went real well. No mess, no fuss, no overtired people afterward, but lot's of togetherness and a good time.

Since Covid, I've been doing Thanksgiving alone in my apartment and I just get the deli food for myself. I go to my local organic co-op sort of place and they have everything all ready either as a boxed up and re-heat sort of thing, or you can get separate turkey and sides, which is what I usually do. I add a couple of extra things to the stuffing before I reheat it, pour my self a glass of wine and top it all off with the store bought pie (some of the local small businesses make great pie!). I just get enough for T-day and a little left over for the following week-end and it's great. I love the food, just miss the company.

I am glad that something worked out for you, bcincolorado, and that you will be together with so many of your family. With that sort of crowd, you should be getting lots of help, and either the pot luck idea or the grocery/deli package and re-heat suggestions (or combo of both) should work well. I don't see where the burden would or should fall on you with so many adults coming to your home. You should have a whole crew of help there. Whatever you do - have a real nice Thanksgiving!

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 756
    Options

bc- Getting the meal made for you sounds like a wonderful idea. Just make dessert or something like that. That all changed quickly!

tt-I spent the better part of Christmas Day last year by myself. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I can now see how some people prefer it.

I just asked my coworker if she could notarize a codicil to my will since me and the kids are all flying together next week. I want to put my younger brother as a beneficiary (just in case). I know, I'm a little crazy thinking like that. It's free though.

I saw the NP at SO office on Friday. Told her I'm doing well, no concerns other than going broke paying all these co pays and deductibles. She did say if it would break my bank, it was OK to do an MRI every other year although I left there with the order. The gal at the desk requested that I schedule the MRI and then call for an appointment. I don't like that Think I have a work around. If the SOs office is booked out more than a month from having an MRI scheduled, I will just call back and push the MRI. I also know I shouldn't let money (or lack thereof) dictate my health care. If I am a high risk, I should just get the imaging done and ask about getting the BCI test as I am approaching the 5 yr. mark. There's still a part of me that's wants to run the other way and just not know. I can just as easily not schedule anything! The inner battle continues. Going to try not to think about this until I see what my insurance will be next year. I have a low dose lung cancer screening to go before year's end and that's it. Spent the entire $1800 that I put in the HSA account, met and am over the $3500 deductible. Will figure out where to take the $ from to pay the remaining balances by year's end as well. Best to start out fresh? I don't know, it's all still exhausting to me.

• bcincolorado
    Options

Decided to pass off one turkey to my neice to cook in her roaster and bring over already cooked and then we can just do one here and the rolls. Letting my mom boil the eggs for deviled eggs at her house and make cranberry relish at her house. I will do pies the day before and my mom is making another dessert to bring as well. Having son pick up suffing mix and take home since just him and kids and easy to carry and he can put in a dish and we can warm if we need to. Trying not to sress too much and focus on 2 doc apointments this week I have.

Met deductible earlier in the month at least but hopefully the one today won't order more tests which could mean more I end up paying for since they seem to bill later and could just see it being and issue if it is. We are trying not to touch our retirement money right now and live on SS which we can do most of the time and not get into our savings account at all but with the holidays coming I can see that happening.

Uncle who has cancer in another State said he is not cooking and sounds like kids are spending holiday with their families and he is going to be alone. Sad. I remember those days too. Had a turkey tv dinner one year.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,945
    Options

I guess I'm lucky that it's just me, my husband, and our adult son for holidays. I have a sister in the same city, but we haven't seen each other in about a year and a half, and I finally blocked her number in August after I got tired of her telling me all my life that I don't know what I'm talking about, no matter what topic. I'll bet my blood pressure has improved without those texts coming in several times a day! I'm doing a chicken and dressing casserole, instant mashed potatoes, and a no-bake pumpkin pie. Easy peasy and I'm thankful I'm lazy! ☺️

• bcincolorado
    Options

My neice used to live in in another State and she cut off all ties with her sister (my other neice from same sis in law who died) since even though grown can't get off drugs and lives her life ignoring her child and her step father is raising her daughter since she unfit. My neice feels closer to us anyway and is about 2 months older than my son so our kids were kind close anyway and live up here not far from now. She wanted her daughter raised in a "healthy environment" anyway from the familiy drama. Life is too short to spend time with people who drive you crazy.

Just going to try to take it easy and not stress too much here if I can and delegate some stuff.

Finished one doc appointment yesterday and off for a few months with doc. Another tomorrow morning and will be cold and thinnk snow won't start until later in the day after are home from that one.

• chemicalworld
    chemicalworld Member Posts: 48
    Options

A while back I posted about a cancer event that I had enrolled in and later found out it was "no masks required but encouraged". I decided to FINALLY push myself out of my comfort zone (way out) and went. This was an event that had people attending who were still in active treatment. Myself, and someone else who went, were very much in the minority wearing a mask.

Unsurprisingly, several days later, have been notified that some people have tested positive for covid. Not allowed to know who.

I have to steam in here so I don't write a strongly worded response.

• bcincolorado
    Options

That is terribble. My Uncle who has Stage IV cancer right now was notified that after attending a birthday party for a 1 year old grand-daughter (his only one) with just family around who is vaccinated someone there tested positive. Now he is going to be checked out as well at this point since he gets treatments regularly and has ived past when they thought he would die already. Makes you feel like not seeing anyone and live in your own household again sometimes.

• odyssey305
    odyssey305 Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hi Everyone! I haven’t posted in awhile, but I keep coming back to these threads, especially when I feel alone with all the sh** cancer throws at us. NO ONE truly understands this unless they’ve walked in our shoes. I’ve been trying my best to get excited about the holidays (because I used to love Thanksgiving!) but it was this time last year when I was diagnosed. My annual mammo was right around Thanksgiving and I got “the call” two days before Christmas. So with my cancerversary looming I feel a mixture of grief and anger and just a deep sadness at how my body and life have changed and how I’ll always be a cancer patient, even if I’m NED. Right now I’m fighting off tears just thinking about Thanksgiving, but I know that I have to put on a brave face for my family. Ugh this is so hard. This year has been SO hard! I’ve been living in either a state of anxiety or on autopilot, and I just want to get to that place where I can take stock of the moment and feel joy again. And it ain’t happening this holiday. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories and experiences. Reading these posts have helped me keep my head above water.

• threetree
    Options

Oh, Odyssey305 - So sorry that you are feeling so down. Trust me, you will have those times of feeling joy again. They will be interspersed with the "forever being a cancer patient, whether NED or not", but they will come, and they will appear more often as time goes on.

I was diagnosed in late November of 2018. My appointment wasn't until after Thanksgiving, but during Thanksgiving that year, I was anticipating the appointment and dreading having to go to it, the Monday after Thanksgiving. In my case, the surgeon had to confirm his suspicions with a biopsy that gave results later of course, but he told me on the spot that he was certain it was cancer. I spent that whole holiday season as a complete mess, so I know something of what you're talking about. I also finished my "active treatment" in the middle of November in 2019. Radiation was that last thing I had and it left me pretty fatigued, so that Thanksgiving, I was happy in the sense that I was done with a big part of my treatment, but also sad that I was extra tired, and then looking at starting Letrozole soon. The oncologist wanted me to start the Letrozole that mid December and I declined, saying I wanted to have a nice holiday season that year, especially because the radiation fatigue was getting better, and sure enough by Christmas I was much better, so had a good Christmas and New Year's. By the time New Year's came around I pretty much felt like my old self again, and still had 2 more weeks until I started (my choosing of the date) the Letrozole. It was real hard to start, because I had finally, after over a year, begun to feel pretty good again.

Sure enough, the Letrozole did a number on me, and continues to do so these years later. The fact that I had that good Christmas and New Year's in 2019, though and 2 good weeks before starting the Letrozole, is one of the things that told me "the old me" is still there somewhere and capable of experiencing the good times, and indeed joy that I could feel before cancer. Also, just plain old time, will give you help in getting back to feeling those good times, in spite of having to be a cancer patient forever. I now find random moments in my life where I'm not thinking about cancer and have nice old "before cancer" type interactions with other people, and I have come to make mental note of, and treasure them. They have gotten more frequent over the years, and I imagine the same will happen to you. I also find that taking walks around my neighborhood and admiring all the flora and fauna throughout the season changes, also gives me opportunities to not be a "cancer patient" and to not think about it and really enjoy what's "out there" instead of focusing on the lifetime cancer issues.

I really think things will get better for you. It's only been a year, and it is all still very fresh at the end of that first year. With time and space, I think you will see a big difference. Again, the good and joyful times will be mixed with the "cancer patient for life" worries, but they will get bigger and more frequent . "It gets better!" Please dry your tears and have a real nice Thanksgiving!

• odyssey305
    Options

I'm tearful again, but this time because of your kindness and wisdom, Threetree. Thank you for sharing your story, you've given me hope that the holidays won't always be colored by my diagnosis. I love the idea of making a mental note of "before cancer" moments, I'm sure I have more of them than I'm aware. I hold onto the idea that there will be more and more of those moments as time goes on, and this black cloud that hangs over me 24/7 will turn into occasional scattered showers:)

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

• threetree
    Options

You are very welcome for my story, Odyssey305! I'm just glad that my long rambling was able to provide some support and hope.

I think we are both going to have nice Thanksgivings!

• [Deleted User]
    Options

harley07, i believe that was the topic i was talking about. thank you for the link.

bcincolorado, i complain every time i see the cancer people about SE's but am brushed off. idk if it's because they see worse things or what.

well we got our big snow here in Buffalo. thankfully prior to Thanksgiving.

Odyssey305,i recently read about prayer boxes. altho i'm not a religious person i thought it was a nice idea to write down thoughts and then just let them go. Depression is hard, having cancer is hard. Sometimes we have to take joy wherever we can find a nugget.

It's been 3 years this month since i had my surgery and I'm thankful I'm still here. everyone: Have a nice turkey day.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

PS. I think the data breach was around the same time as this site was "upgraded"

• odyssey305
    Options

three tree, you didn't ramble at all! I'm sure you've been through so much after enduring almost a year of active treatment. I really appreciate your support and reading about how you've coped with it all. There's strength in numbers! No matter how much time has passed, I feel like many, if not all of us carry a sort of cellular memory of the trauma of our treatments. I'm so happy to hear that you're doing well and having fewer moments when cancer is in the forefront.

kidi919, I've heard of versions of prayer boxes before, thank you so much for reminding me about them! I would love to write down my worries and burn them in the fireplace 😊. I also feel like I'm brushed off when I bring up SE from Letrozole. I get them all - stiff and aching joints, insomnia, thinning hair, decreased appetite/nausea, tinnitus, brain fog…. When I complain about a new or lingering symptom I usually get scanned, as I should, and thankfully each time I've gotten the all clear. My problem is that my symptoms are STILL THERE, but my MO writes them off once cancer has been ruled out. The messaging is that if it isn't cancer, suck it up. Of course cancer recurrence is the biggest concern, but living pain-free and sleeping is kind of important to me too and I dislike having to search for answers on my own. I mean, aren’t SE the mainreason why so many women stop taking AI's? Shouldn't managing side effects (and related mental health issues) be more of a priority? After reading my own post I think I need to find a new MO.

• bcincolorado
    Options

After the one I had left and another one took over in the same practice who has a very different bedside manner and questioned the treatments I had already and would have been more agressive at the start made me wonder about the one that made me feel better about seeing to start with. I stuck with her though and hav egotten used to her now after a few years.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

odyessey: that's the message I get from my cancer visits. Suck it up. Well, that's not much help. Apparently from their point of view if u aren't on deaths door you just need to carry on. The prayer box.. I used to kinda keep a journal (and this was before CA) just wrote down thoughts, passages that I read in books etc. I have good intentions but don't follow thru

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,945
    Options

If my MO determines whatever I'm feeling isn't directly cancer-related, she refers me back to my primary care physician. I had a (clear) nuclear bone scan earlier this year because the MO said I shouldn't be hurting as much as I do (I'm not on a hormone blocker), and in the notes, which were also sent to the PCP, she emphasized the PCP needed to follow up with that. That's what the PCPs are for - to treat the non-cancer stuff, or to make a referral to another kind of specialist, if necessary.

What I found helpful in the Year of Shit 2018 (Mom died, I lost all my top teeth, breast cancer with lumpectomy and re-excision, kidney cancer with nephrectomy, 33 sessions of radiology, up from the planned 22 due to a positive sentinel node, whew!) was to deliberately schedule as much fun stuff as possible. It wasn't anything elaborate - lots of day trips and picnics, a few weekend road trips, and slightly longer ones before surgeries. What's strange - and cool - is that I remember those outings much more clearly than all the other crap. We still try to do similar fun things throughout the year, and it does help to keep my mental or emotional state from going to the scary places, at least for any extended amount of time. Sometimes feeling better takes a bit of work and planning.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,233
    Options

What I don't understand is if you are experiencing side effects from Letrozole is that your MO has not switched you to another AI. There are 3 available to them (4 if you consider going to Tamoxifen) and although many prefer to start with Letrozole, if you are experiencing side effects, there are 2 others that could be suggested (Arimidex and Exemestane) as an alternative. I was on Letrozole, was in pain all the time so switched to Arimidex and that too became an issue with painful side effects. I was initially resistant to switching to Exemestane and delayed switching for over a year. I am now kicking myself for not making the switch sooner. I did ask my MO that if this one didn't work, could I switch back to one where I knew what the SE's would be? She was in agreement but I never made the switch. So I urge you to be assertive in discussing the side effects with the MO since this is your body, not theirs. If they are unwilling to assist you in seeking relief, time for a new MO. Why should you continue to pay for a service that is a disservice since your experiences are dismissed. IMHO, time for a change or a serious discussion.

• odyssey305
    Options

Oh Alice, Year of Shit indeed! I’m truly sorry to hear about all that you’ve been through. I’m sorry about losing your mom. Your conscious efforts to “keep on keeping on” in spite of two cancers(!) and all the treatments and heartbreaks from that year speak to your amazing resilience. And I know you and the other wise BC sisters are right, it takes effort not to spiral. In times like this I would usually go for a walk to clear my hea, but the recent snow has made the ground a muddy slushy mess. Oh well if cancer hasn’t taken me down yet, a little mud won’t either lol.

A few months ago I started having persistent hip pain. Thankfully the x-ray and bone scan were negative, but then instead of referring me out, my MO basically said to exercise more and stretch better! I go crazy with all the TM checks, bloodwork and aggressive scanning, but i do it, and would just like for the other parts of me to be cared for with the same diligence. I’m sure now that it’s sciatica, but I’ll contact my PCP for suggestions on relief. I’ve been relying on my MO maybe a little too much, hence my disappointment, and I need to remember that I have other providers.

Off to walk the pup and brave the cold and mud! Take care!