Topic: Middle Aged Memories

Forum: "Middle Age" 40-60(ish) Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet others in this age-range who share similar life issues.

Posted on: Nov 9, 2009 03:18PM

Posted on: Nov 9, 2009 03:18PM

nativemainer wrote:

Let's see, so far we've reminisced about dittos, drive in theaters, lick-a-stick candy, five-and-dime stores, Donny Osmond, Dark Shadows, what have I missed? 

"I have come to believe that caring for myself is not self indulgent. Caring for myself is an act of survival." Audre Lorde Dx 3/9/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/14/2007 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Surgery 3/28/2007 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 4/9/2007 Breast Hormonal Therapy 10/4/2007 Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 8/14/2008 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Surgery 6/20/2010 Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (Right): DIEP flap

Page 4 of 331 (3,302 results)

Nov 10, 2009 06:57PM otter wrote:

Tiny tears?  I'd forgotten the name of that doll!  OMG -- she has the same hairstyle I had last winter:  chemo-curls!

otter 

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 10, 2009 07:10PM CoolBreeze wrote:

Flashlight Tag!  That flat taffy candy that had the powdery stuff on it and came in wax paper.   Big Daddys.  Hot pants.  Flower power.   Velveteen footprint designs for your room.  Huge jawbreakers that you licked until your tongue was raw and had layers of colors. Rainbows on your bellbottoms, stiched from bottom of the leg to across your front.  Chokers.  Straight hair (grrrr...my personal nemisis).  I Dream of Jeannie.  Hogan's Heros.  Gunsmoke.  Bewitched.  My Favorite Martian. Baby Oil and Iodine. 

Riding bikes, skinning knees, "don't come home until the streetlights are on!"

:)

Ann's cancer blog: www.butdoctorihatepink.com .....multicentric/multifocal IDC/ILC+DCIS/LCIS/ADH Official dx? "Your breast was a mess." ~UniMastectomy/Chemo/Herceptin/Tamoxifen/Recon Almost Done! Oh wait. mets to liver 5/21/11 Now Stage IV Dx 8/17/2009, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Nov 10, 2009 07:15PM keno41 wrote:

My friends and I used to play Barbies and dream of who we would marry. I love my husband, but it;is absolutely  not what I envisioned when I was 12!! Our imaginations were so much greater than those of kids today.  I think kids today don't know how to pretend and imagine, like we did!!  Also, I absolutely loved Donny Osmond. I truly believe that our childhood was so much better than kids of today!  That's just my thoughts!

Dx 7/2/2009, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 10, 2009 07:28PM cmharris59 wrote:

"Time Tunnel"  "Lost in Space" tricycles and Big Wheels?I had a Tressie doll that you pushed a button  on her stomach and her hair grew. Hopalong Cassidy? Gunsmoke when Matt's sidekick was Chester?  Leslie Gore? The Kingston Trio?

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." ~ Dorothy Parker Dx 6/8/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Nov 10, 2009 07:29PM Marybe wrote:

We were lucky to have Barbie back when she had really nice clothes, actual knit sweaters, tiny little zippers and buttons, real fur trim. The thing I loved most about her were the clothes and the accessories because they were so real, just in minature form. I think the bridal gown was $5 and that was a lot of money back then.  The clothes they came out with later were velcro and really crappy. I got my Barbie in 1959 or maybe it was 58,  Actually, I was too old for dolls, but I loved her....she was the model with the painted eyes and the holes in her feet. 

Someone mentioned 8 balls... I actually believed those answers. 

Do you remember wig hats?  I still have my Beatle wig.  I loved tube tops.....we called them boob tubes.  How did I miss Velvet Peanut butter?  Maybe it wasn't in OH. 

Marybe Be you own advocate and keep on your toes. I went from no stage (1990) to Stage lV while under an onco's supervision. Dx 4/1998, IDC, Stage IV, 0/19 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+

Nov 10, 2009 10:33PM desdemona222b wrote:

My sister and I got wig Barbies for Christmas one year and we were beyond thrilled.  Wow, did we LOVE those wigs! 

Dx 11/17/2001, DCIS, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 11, 2009 03:36AM sue-61 wrote:

Hey, OTTER.......my Tiny Tears doll was bald.........so I must have had a real early version of her, which makes me ancient in years......Sue

"Always maintain a kind of summer even in the middle of winter"~~~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Nov 11, 2009 03:38AM Mazy1959 wrote:

I had a Barbie with wigs and yes I dreamed of looking just like her and having a hotty like Ken when I grew up LOL.

I had and believed that dang 8 ball. At sleepovers we would spend all night asking questions about boys.

Coolbreeze, We played flashlight tag every night in the summer.

I had a Super Ball. On days when I had nothing to do I would bounce that thing off a brick wall back to myself all day long.

And I remember when Wizard of Oz and Cinderella were only on TV once a year. Funny how we can just pop in a DVD now and watch it when we want. I still get excited when I get to watch those.

In second grade I had a small troll with blue hair, that I kept in my desk.  I rubbed his tummy every morning and truly thought he gave me good grades LOL.

keno, I think we had it better too. I know that I probably had too much free reign. I went about anywhere I wanted as long as I could get there by bus or walk. When I was about 11, a girl I went to school with was kidnapped and murdered. They never found her murderer. After that I became paranoid. I became more afraid of the dark and would move far away from any cars that would pull over near me.

I love remembering the fun I had as a kid.

Hugs, Mazy

Bone marrow mets in 90% of bone marrow. Dx 3/6/2003, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 12/19/2006, ILC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/25/2012, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/4/2012, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/9/2012 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel)

Nov 11, 2009 04:35AM elimar wrote:

Besides my cherished Skipper doll, I did have two Barbies.  One was blonde bendable Barbie, but the other was stiff brunette Barbie.  She was an early model with the nice pulled back hair. I gave her a shag haircut and ruined it.  Then as a replacement, I found a Barbie head in the bushes at school, with the round puff hairstyle, I don't know, but she looked more like a mom.  Unfortunately she had a dark colored disfigurement on her face, so I lovingly thoughtof her as burn victim Barbie.  I let my sons play with these a couple times (when their G.I. Joes were lookin' for dates.)

My room was decorated with some big-eyed Keane paintings.  I had the ones of a Dog and a Cat.  I don't know about you, but the ones he did of big-eyed kids reminded me of "Children of the Damned."   (Movie--Shudder!)

Dx 6/24/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 11, 2009 05:05AM Mazy1959 wrote:

One of my favorite toys was my Easy Bake Oven. I melted cheese on crackers, made brownies etc.

Bone marrow mets in 90% of bone marrow. Dx 3/6/2003, ILC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 12/19/2006, ILC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 4/25/2012, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/4/2012, ILC, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/0 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/9/2012 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel)

Page 4 of 331 (3,302 results)

Scroll to top button