We are 199,591 members in 81 forums discussing 146,151 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Moving Beyond Cancer → Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer —

Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 03:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1070 of 1,072 (32,138 results)

Posts 32071 - 32100 (32,138 total)

Jan 9, 2018 05:54PM illimae wrote:

Tonight was Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti and a side salad.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 9, 2018 06:41PM Tappermom383 wrote:

We get Blue Apron every few weeks. Tonight I made their General Tso’s chicken - wow, was it delicious! The meals are supposed to be for two but we always have enough for lunch as well. Their recipes are available on their website.

MJ

Diagnosed at 70 after four excisional biopsies over the course of 47 years. MammaPrint came back Low Risk. DexaScan: osteopenia. Cancer removed was 1.8 cm. Dx 3/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/17/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 9, 2018 07:36PM DownNotOut wrote:

Hello all - I love to cook and I have been enjoying this thread for the last week or so (I'm from the Jan 2018 RADS group). I'm dismayed that some of you have given up on cooking pork chops at home. We had the best chops last night, with sauteed fresh green beans and my DH's homemade cream corn. In our large family of 7, pork is an affordable staple and a go to quick meal! Our grill is aging and the heat is uneven, so I have taken to cooking chops inside. Make sure the exhaust fan is on and a candle is lit first! I usually give thick chops a generous sprinkle of spices/herbs - my favorites are Penzeys Spices "Trinidad" (use liberally, but great flavor!) and I am surprised how much we enjoy a good shake of McCormick's Montreal Steak blend on each side as they go into the skillet for a REALLY good sear in a canola oil/butter combo, usually ~4min per side, depending on the thickness, if my pan is hot enough. I cook in batches and remove chops to a foil lined pan, then finish off in a 450 degree oven for 12 min or so or until juices run clear. This method is fast after work, has won over my family, and we get chops with great flavor and color, but fully cooked through with plenty of pan juices for spooning over the top of whatever I serve it with/on. Take heart, chop lovers!

DownNotOut Dx 11/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/16/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 9, 2018 08:16PM MinusTwo wrote:

Bedo - my DIL makes veggie Lasagna that I thought was good. I'll send her an email, but she often doesn't answer for a week or two, so no telling if I can let you know it time. Glad to hear you're doing OK.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 9, 2018 08:43PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

Specialk, imglad they left you enough nose! My husband is getting close on his. Sigh.

Carole, that WW German potato salad recipe sounds good, ill have to look it up.

Illimae, Im polish on 2 sides, and I never heard of that soup, but it looks awesome and as if it would fit in with the family recipes

tappermom, i get Home Chef. Im by mysef a lot, so I get 2-3 servings out the 2 servings. But its worth it forme. I get 1 to 2 times a month.

Lacey I love your pics! And that deconstructed "carrot cake" was as ugly as you said!

I finally felt good enough to go to my swim exercise class today. Tiring but i made it and didnt take a nap after. LOL. Weighed myself since Christmas and figured I gained a pound or 2. Turns out I lost 10. Guess not eating for a week and a half really does cause weight loss.

Supper tonight, i used up the half pound ground sirloin I bought for steak tartare on NY eve. But i had to toss it in the freezer when i got sick. Unfortunately it ended up as a sort of chili because I didnt gave much to choose from in the pantry. LOL. But it actually tasted pretty good. Pretty mild chili, but then, Im not really all that hungry yet.

Much love

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/8/2011 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/17/2012 Reconstruction (left) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/13/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/10/2012 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 8/14/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/4/2013 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Jan 9, 2018 09:19PM MinusTwo wrote:

Bedo: Here you go. Vegetarian Lasagna

A box of lasagna noodles
1 1/2 - 2 jars of your favorite tomato sauce
4 washed medium zucchinis, shredded
1 lb shredded mozzarella
Grated Parmesan cheese
15 oz Ricotta cheese
1 small onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic (crushed or chopped)
Bag of fresh spinach
Frozen corn
Fake beef (aka veggie protein crumbles - Smart Ground or equivalent)
Italian seasoning

Olive oil

1) Begin by parboiling the noodles until they're pliable but still under-cooked (a few minutes less than what it says on the package). Preheat oven to 325.

2) Squeeze the shredded zucchini in a paper towel or put it in a salad spinner to remove moisture. Saute the zucchini, onion, and corn in a little olive oil until the onion is translucent, adding Italian seasoning to taste. [I don't have a quantity for the corn, we just pour it out of the bag until it looks right.]

3) In a lasagna pan, pour enough tomato sauce to cover the bottom. Add a layer of noodles, followed by a layer of zucchini mixture, layer of fake beef, and layer of spinach. Dot with spoonfuls of ricotta and add layer of mozzarella. Repeat for as many layers will fit in the pan, with a mozzarella layer on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan.

4) Bake at 325 for an hour or until everything is bubbly.
2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 9, 2018 09:21PM eric95us wrote:

Twenty years ago on the 9th, at 12:39PM, Arizona time, DD was born. I knew she was in class, so I sent her a text message today at 12:39pm, "Happy birth moment". She got a good laugh over that.

The weather today is like it was "back then"...rain, wind, thunder, lightening and kind of chilly (for out here anyway). i remember driving home on the 10th and Sharon, "Watch out. There's a puddle." :-)

The memories of the 9th are still as clear as they were 20 years ago. I still remember DD in the little outfit with the hat and gloves and in a plastic basket under the warming lamps.

Bedo, your back!

Hi to Tapermom and DownNotOut. Welcome!

Down...I'll have to try the pork chops in the oven. The new, lower, cooking temperature recommendations have helped my pork loin effort a huge amount, but I've not had much success with pork chops. I did try Cella's recipe, but I overcooked it. The crockpot has 4, 6, 8 and 10 "hour" settings instead of a temperature. I had hoped that the thinner chops would be OK cooking for 6 hours on the 10 hour setting, but.... :-) I plan on trying it again and the next time I'll put it in a dutch oven and put that in the oven. I did some checks and found my oven does a good job keeping a regulated temperature all the way down to 140F degrees. So I can actually get the oven so cool that the braising doesn't work well.

husband of slawson

Jan 10, 2018 02:03PM Cherry-sw wrote:

bedo, I have a great recipe for mushroom bolognese that I got from Serious Eats, here comes a link in case you would like to have some mushrooms in your lasagne. It sounds like a lite if work but it is really not and you do not need to bake an egg plant and then add it to the sauce, you can dice it and have it in the soffrito from the very beginning. I even added a smaller diced sweet potato and then mashed it in the pan, then you do not need an egg plant att all, the sauce will get this fuller texture.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/02/pasta-rich-hearty-mushroom-bolognese-recipe.html

DownNotOut, I prefer pork collor to the chops, they are do dry for my taste, I like some fat in my meat. I roasted a nice bit of organic pork collor this Monday, low heat and had it in the oven for several hours, got so juicy and tender, I served it with mustard seed sauce below. I did not take any pictures, it was all gone

http://msihua.com/2011/07/pork-belly-ssam-with-mustard-seed-sauce-pickled-cucumbers-for-ctb5-momofuku/

Eric, congratulations on your DD birthday, I cannot believe that they all grew up so fast. Every time I am going to my treatment or my appointments I pass under the window where my eldest was born for over 22 years ago.

ChiSandy, the crust turned out perfect and the chicken legs got nearly mumiefied, if it is even a word in English, but the BF liked my cassoulet very much but to me it got too salty but I cannot rely on my taste buds right now.

SpecialK, I posted on TP thread, need your advice on when to start taking Clarityn.

illimae, this spaghetti squash looks delicious. I feel I can eat a horse right now, am still on steroids, but when I eat everything tastes too salty.

Lunch today was sushi, I know, everybody is saying no raw food while on chemo but here they are ok with it and I really craved it so I had it, tasted good but I miss all my other tastes not only the one for salt. Dinner was cassoulet leftovers and now I am just fighting my hunger and aiming to go to sleep instead of going to my kitche

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/21/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/21/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jan 10, 2018 04:23PM MinusTwo wrote:

Cherry - I had Neulasta shots 24 hours after every chemo infusion. I started the Claritin the same day I did the chemo - or the day before. Continue for several days after the wbc shots. It saved me from the joint & bone aches.

Jan 10, 2018 04:53PM illimae wrote:

DH made Beef Burgundy, one of my favs!

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 10, 2018 07:41PM SpecialK wrote:

cherry - replied on the TP thread about the Claritin, sorry am a bit distracted - preparing to leave very early tomorrow for South Carolina for my MIL's memorial service. My advice is the same as Illimae's.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 14 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Jan 10, 2018 10:43PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

specialk, sorry about your MIL.

Saw my onco today. 6 years after dx, just graduated to not seeing him for a year. Decided to make it a clean break and let go of my umbrella, ie, Im removing the port. I could have had it done for a couple of years, but how often does it rain when you have your umbrella in hand? So big leap of faith, and going for leaving that umbrella at home. LOL.

Ate the rest of the chili and ordered pork tenderloin, and chicken for Feb. From my Home Chef plan. Have one coming in on the Jan 17th too. That one is crispy onion chicken breasts with mushrooms and green beans. steak with balsamic sauce and brussels sprouts with potato, and a greek salad lunch. Looking forward to cooking those. Remember if anyone wants to try it, I have a $50.00 coupon so you can try it for free. I have at least 2 of those. Maybe more, i havent looked yet.

Much love to all

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/8/2011 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/17/2012 Reconstruction (left) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/13/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/10/2012 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 8/14/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/4/2013 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Jan 10, 2018 10:43PM Moonflwr912 wrote:

specialk, sorry about your MIL.

Saw my onco today. 6 years after dx, just graduated to not seeing him for a year. Decided to make it a clean break and let go of my umbrella, ie, Im removing the port. I could have had it done for a couple of years, but how often does it rain when you have your umbrella in hand? So big leap of faith, and going for leaving that umbrella at home. LOL.

Ate the rest of the chili and ordered pork tenderloin, and chicken for Feb. From my Home Chef plan. Have one coming in on the Jan 17th too. That one is crispy onion chicken breasts with mushrooms and green beans. steak with balsamic sauce and brussels sprouts with potato, and a greek salad lunch. Looking forward to cooking those. Remember if anyone wants to try it, I have a $50.00 coupon so you can try it for free. I have at least 2 of those. Maybe more, i havent looked yet.

Much love to all

Jan 11, 2018 12:58AM Cherry-sw wrote:

SpecialK, thank you very much, saw your answer, will start taking it today. Sorry about your MIL.

Minus, I am starting with my shots on the 5th day, five shots, not the same as Neulasta.

My last day on steroids, will take it now and then I will quickly need to decide what to eat. Have no idea what we will have for dinner, leftovers or wheather I will cook some soup

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/21/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/21/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jan 11, 2018 05:51PM ChiSandy wrote:

So the sole (petrale) en papillote turned out great last night: 2 sole fillets (0.4 lbs. total) placed on olive-oiled kitchen parchment, then layered with fresh herbs, tomato and green pepper slices, seasoned with lemon juice, pepper, kosher salt and then more olive oil. Folded the other half of the parchment over the fish "assembly," crimped the edges closed (folding a little at a time) and then cut a couple of slits in the top with a knife. Nuked it on high power for 2 minutes. Delicious, perfect moist but flaky texture. Added a little caper-seasoned salt and basil-infused olive oil to taste.

Only hitch was this: WF had fresh wild petrale sole on sale for $9.99/lb. Fish guy wrapped it and handed it to me, Didn't look at the label till I got home: it said "Arctic Char," for $17.99/lb. So I was charged nearly twice as much as I was supposed to have been. Called the Customer Svce. desk and told them, Couldn't take it back--was on my way to my support group meeting and wanted to cook it when I got home. So they took my name and receipt # and told me to bring in the receipt next time I come in, to be credited for the difference,

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 12, 2018 08:53AM BringOn2017 wrote:

Hi Just found this forum and it sounds fun.... I still have a couple of weeks at home before going back to work, and I'm enjoying cooking especially as we got our new cooker in time for New Year's Day.

Did a Rabbit Cottage Pie made with left over roast rabbit this week. - Gosh hope no one gets squeamish that it's rabbit! The little one thinks it's chicken. 

DH prepared the roast rabbit the day before - baked in the oven with garlic, dill, curry powder, honey, whisky, red wine, cherry tomato sauce, pepper and roasted for almost 3 hours. The next day, I shredded the leftovers - there was quite a lot as there were 2 legs and part of the back. I sauted garlic, an onion, added zucchini, mushrooms, the remaining half of the tin of cherry tomato sauce and another tin of tomatoes, red wine, for about 20 minutes. Then spooned it into a dish and covered it with a layer of creamy mashed potatoes and baked it in the oven for around an hour until the mashed potato developed a golden crust. I  loved it, but it was a bit funny seeing the look on DH's face when he didn't find his minced beef after the mash. I hadn't warned him this was Left-Over Pie!!

Yesterday made cream of broccoli soup which is a quickie and very good for a cold day -  I boiled broccoli, onion, potato and a chicken stock pot (I use Knorr) with celery stems. I removed the celery stems when the soup was ready (and nibbled them all) and pureed the soup and served with a dollop of cream. Then we had roast salmon with dill and honey served with roasted mash potato as per the little one's request, which is mashed potato with butter and cream and then baked in a dish until the golden crust develops.

I'll be around for the next 2 or 3 weeks until I go back to work, but then once I'm back at work, I'll be lucky if I have time to cook! 

Happy New Year to all!

The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise. Dx 1/23/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER+ Surgery 2/21/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jan 12, 2018 01:46PM MinusTwo wrote:

BringOn - welcome. Both of your meals sound delicious - although personally I would substitute a more conventional meat for the rabbit.

I was thinking back to early days on this thread. I'll have to go look, but it seems we shared lots more recipes. I know I'm guilty since I do post my restaurant meal stories, but really I only eat out maybe twice a week.

Today was one of those times. Met my SIL at ShoGun for a 'hibachi' meal - without the knife throwing (although those tables would have been warmer). She had fillet & I had shrimp - served w/Miso or onion soup, tons of lovely grilled veggies and excellent fried rice. We split an appetizer of crab puffs and had several mugs of green tea since it's COLD again in Houston. Temperature yesterday went from 70 degrees in the morning to 33 after dark. I thought about ordering warm sake, but really it was only 11:15 in the morning. I brought home half of the fried rice & will do something creative with more veggies tomorrow.

Jan 12, 2018 01:49PM MinusTwo wrote:

Sandy - I like your sole prep. I often just cover fish with wax paper, but I like the papillote idea. In fact I just read about using banana leaves for salmon last week.

Jan 13, 2018 05:39AM BringOn2017 wrote:

Hi Great about your port Moonflowr! Goodluck! 

Hope you're feeling well Cherry and hope your tastebuds get better soon.

Your Hibachi meal sounds great Minus2.....and your veggie lasagne, but I tend to buy the pre-cooked lasagne sheets as it is so much easier. I also add sliced aubergine/egg plant.

Today is simple fare for lunch.... literally recipe is chicken and sweet corn soup adapted from

http://www.singlefare.com/recipes/chicken-and-sweetcorn-soup/

I used:

a 418g can of creamed corn

2 mugs of water (around 400mls)

1 chicken stock pot (Knorr)

2 chicken tenderloin cut into very thin strips

1 tbsp. soy sauce

ginger

3 large sliced mushrooms

fresh broccoli florets.

Bring all to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes The little one assures me it's delicious!

Tonight we'll have a stirfry of chicken tenderloin, broccoli, sweet red peppers, onions, cashew nuts. 

The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise. Dx 1/23/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER+ Surgery 2/21/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jan 13, 2018 05:04PM bedo wrote:

Cherry and Minus thanks for the recipes! I kind of combined them and have no idea how it tastes, as I just cook don't taste, I know weird. But it weighed about 10 pounds and fit in a 9x13 pan and I took it over this morning. I have no idea how they will eat it all! Going back tomorrow to see my grandson and babysit on MLK day!

Jan 13, 2018 06:06PM - edited Jan 13, 2018 06:07PM by ChiSandy

Defrosted the remaining half of an 8-oz patty of American Kobe beef, and pan-fried it in cast iron. (Burgers are the only beef I'll eat well-done). It had enough fat in it, and the pan was so well-seasoned that it didn't stick. Used the French-fry disc of my Cuisinart to make sweet potato fries, but it created more like coarse shreds. Tossed them with 1 tsp. of grapeseed oil and cooked them in the air-fryer..."meh." I'm seriously considering ditching the thing, and using the air-fry function of my Breville Smart Oven instead. Or cutting fries by hand--not all that time-consuming. Sauteed broccolini to go with it.

For brunch I made a batch of turkey-sausage-and-veggie hash (lower carb, fat & sodium than corned beef hash). Chopped red & green pepper, onion, zucchini, yellow squash & mushrooms; sauteed them in olive oil, added pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles and cooked till the sausage was hot, then seasoned to taste. Topped with a fried egg. Pretty filling, no breadstuffs necessary on the side. And I have two portions left over.

Making late dinner tonight: pan-seared sockeye salmon over rainbow quinoa, with sauteed snap peas on the side.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 06:24PM cse70 wrote:

Chisandy, I considered buying an airfryer. What's your experience with different methods? BTW, love reading your food experiences!

Dx 10/15/2005, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/15/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 2/1/2006 AC Radiation Therapy 4/1/2006 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 3/27/2017 Mastectomy: Right Dx 4/1/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/25/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jan 13, 2018 06:52PM ChiSandy wrote:

I've found the airfryer does best with commercial frozen fries, latkes & knishes, as well as reheating deep-fried Chinese takeout leftovers without burning them or getting them soggy. I rarely eat regular French fries, and usually just bake or nuke a sweet potato. I think the water content in a fresh garnet yam might not give great results. Mine is the Phillips, bought at Sur La Table. Next time I will try the air-fry function in the Breville (which can also dehydrate at very low heat). I've already found that its "bagel" function isn't good for bagel-and-lox sandwiches, because for those I like to toast the bagel whole (crisping the outside) and then slice it, so the inside is still room temp and won't melt the cream cheese or chevre. The "bagel" function is for a pre-sliced bagel and toasts the cut side down unless I remember to flip it halfway through. I use the "toast" function, at its lightest setting, for bagels & lox, which should be cold (though for mere-"bagel-and-schmear"pre-cutting and toasting both sides is okay).

My failed sweet potato fries experiment did tell me that there's no reason to mourn the discontinuation of the "julienne" disc for the 14-c. Cuisinart: the French-fry disc does more of a coarse julienne. (For fine julienne, I think I'll get the 1mm or 2mm slicing disc and do the "double-cut" method).

Jan 13, 2018 07:52PM MinusTwo wrote:

My meal today was a delicious two egg omelette - sauteed fresh mushrooms & small zucchini pieces, eggs poured on top, matchstick pieces of Havarti after the eggs set & before folding. Served with one slice of San Francisco sourdough.

I really need to eat salad tomorrow before it turns, but it's been cold enough that I only want warm food. Maybe chicken cacciatore w/some of the rotisserie chicken I froze and the rest of the mushrooms - served on the 3 zucchinis that I spiralized today.

Jan 13, 2018 11:43PM ChiSandy wrote:

Anyone have a surefire way to keep cut fresh basil green as long as possible? Mine turns limp, black and rotten in the fridge; I've tried doing what my mom used to (rooting cuttings in water) to no avail--they wilt & die w/in a day. So far, I've tried storing it outside the fridge, and it lasts a bit longer. I've also tried storing it on the counter wrapped in paper towels--have to keep tabs on it twice a day, because it, too will rot. As a last resort I tried drying out the inside of the plastic box, lining it with a paper towel, loosely putting some basil in, and repeat layering--ending by just loosely laying the lid on top w/o snapping it closed. Hoping this works--I hate wasting produce. Wish they sold it loose. (Same problem with tarragon).

As for my homegrown, the last of the thyme bit the dust after a couple of freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw weather cycles. Was able to salvage some of it, especially the lemon thyme, before it all went to hell. Chives survived but barely--pale yellow. Parsley kaput, and rosemary is good only for a bouquet garni in cheesecloth. Looking into indoor herb-seed-starter pot kits.

Jan 14, 2018 07:03AM auntienance wrote:

Sandy, I've had great success with basil cuttings in water on the counter - keeping them up to a month or more that way. Don't know why yours should be wilting. The only other suggestion I have us to grow a small pot of it. I transplant thyme, basil, oregano, Thai basil and parsley into a large pot that I grow in our sunny breakfast room in the winter. The Thai basil and the parsley get puny but everything else does very well. So well that I have a hard time keeping up with it.

Our food choices this frigid winter have been very dull - much like my mood, but I've enjoyed reading about everyone else's. We are planning a trip to Texas in February to visit my nieces, which I hope will tickle my food fancy with some different offerings.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 14, 2018 10:27AM Lacey12 wrote:

Welcome to our new readers/posters! Tho I suppose I have a nerve welcoming folks now that I post so rarely...

Sandy, I also only try to preserve my cut basil in a glass vase near a window....except not when the temp is as low as it has gotten here! I am just finishing up a bunch I cut in September, so it has lasted well...and probably would still be fine if I had taken it off the windowsill during our recent below zero siege! I change the water often since it gets yucky.

Bedo, sorry I never weighed in before you made the veggie lasagna. I have had good luck with making a regular lasagna (either a red sauce or bechamel) but subbing assorted/favorite roasted veggies for the meat later. Really delish!

Eric, enjoyed your sweet memories of DD’s birth day.

Special, thinking of you, and hoping your DMIL’s service is as beautiful as her husband’s was. Condolences to your DH too.

We’ve been having fish a lot lately,...and chicken. Rabbit is probably not on my horizon. Having had a family pet rabbit sort of excludes that as a dining option. And in the past year we have really limited our consumption of red meat....or I could say, mammals. Then there comes that occasional day when we abandon virtue and have a lamburger or order steak from a menu. I haven’t cooked porkchops in years, but I can totally see how your prep, Down, would render a delicious entree!

Since the Celtics have been in London for a game, and are now having a break, we have not had to trek into Boston, but start up again Tuesday night. So I can look forward to my salmon over veggies dish at The Harp.

We enjoyed sole this week (for once on sale at local store...but lordy, is fish expensive now!). I baked three pieces with a topping of sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic and spinach. It was really good and the fish fresh and sweet.

Last night DH grilled chicken drumsticks that I’d marinated in a mix that included beer/evoo/onions/garlic/cumin/paprika/cayenne/salt and pepper. I had high hopes, but was truly disappointed in the bland taste of the drumsticks. DH loved them. He can finish them tonight! I can make myself an omelet.

Has anyone else seen giant brussells sprouts at their stores? I came across some last week and they were sooo tasty. I am a bs (ha!) fan, so I just boil them, serving with nothing but a bit of butter on them. I can see the bs haters making yucky faces now. ;) Sorry.....

Hoped to post some pix, but my latest food photos seem not to have synced to my Ipad yet...next time!

Nance, I share your lowered creative energy around food prep these days. I think our weather (and other contemporary issues) has really gotten to me this year. That said, I am totally appreciative of Ma Nature’s enormous gift of two balmy, rainy days which almost totally eradicated the enormous snow mounds that graced the corners of every intersection in this area, making driving really dangerous. So now the cold temps are back and we have a winter re-start.

Have any of you had cataract surgery yet? I need to have it done before my bad allergy season starts up and need to decide if having it done with laser is actually more beneficial at all.....since it is not covered by ins. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday!

Jan 14, 2018 12:37PM carolehalston wrote:

I cooked domestic rabbit (as opposed to wild/game) some years back. The rabbit was given to me by a brother who was raising them to sell for cooking. It was large and plump, really pretty white meat. I stewed or "smothered" the rabbit with lots of onion and garlic. Dh would not even taste it. There was no way he intended to eat Thumper!

We both ate rabbit on a train in France one year. We were very hungry and made our way to the dining car. Neither of us knew much French and rabbit was what was served. We ate it gladly.

Today a chicken gumbo is in the making. Earlier I went to a little Piggly Wiggly grocery market in search of okra. In the tiny canned veggie section, I found canned okra and canned okra and tomatoes. In the tiny frozen veggie section was frozen okra, chopped and whole. Only in Louisiana, I thought. The aroma of chicken simmering with onion, garlic, okra and tomato is promising of a delicious dinner. I'll add the sausage with some roux later and cook brown rice.

We've had some nights with freezing temperatures, as low as 20's, but my herbs don't seem to mind. I have rosemary, basil, mint, oregano and I think the sage has survived, too. Last night I used some of the rosemary in a marinade for a pork tenderloin. I have become a huge fan of pork tenderloin now that I've learned to cook it.

Moon, your delivered dinners sound good.

Bedo, I hope your DD and DSIL enjoy the lasagna. I'm sure they appreciate your making and delivering it.

Eric, how sweet that you remember the exact time your daughter was born.

Lacey, your food pictures indicate that you eat well at home as well as in restaurants!

Nance, my nod to cooking more exciting meals is printing out recipes. I visited the Milk Street web site earlier and printed several of the free recipes. One is a chicken dish with sumac. I just purchased sumac, Aleppo pepper and za/tar from Penzey's. Now I need to learn how to make use of them.

I enjoy seafood and chicken but I can't imagine giving up red meat. I splurged yesterday and had a huge hamburger that was "dressed," when means it had a generous smear of mayo and lettuce, tomato and pickle. It was so good.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 12:39PM carolehalston wrote:

Correction: not basil but thyme. Basil is delicate.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 02:58PM auntienance wrote:

Lol Carole! I was just getting ready to comment that you had some tough basil there in Louisiana - mine gets mad and turns black under 40°!

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Page 1070 of 1,072 (32,138 results)