We are 204,758 members in 81 forums discussing 148,354 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Moving Beyond Cancer → Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer —

Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1070 of 1,093 (32,785 results)

Posts 32071 - 32100 (32,785 total)

Jan 12, 2018 04:46PM MinusTwo wrote:

BringOn - welcome. Both of your meals sound delicious - although personally I would substitute a more conventional meat for the rabbit.

I was thinking back to early days on this thread. I'll have to go look, but it seems we shared lots more recipes. I know I'm guilty since I do post my restaurant meal stories, but really I only eat out maybe twice a week.

Today was one of those times. Met my SIL at ShoGun for a 'hibachi' meal - without the knife throwing (although those tables would have been warmer). She had fillet & I had shrimp - served w/Miso or onion soup, tons of lovely grilled veggies and excellent fried rice. We split an appetizer of crab puffs and had several mugs of green tea since it's COLD again in Houston. Temperature yesterday went from 70 degrees in the morning to 33 after dark. I thought about ordering warm sake, but really it was only 11:15 in the morning. I brought home half of the fried rice & will do something creative with more veggies tomorrow.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 12, 2018 04:49PM MinusTwo wrote:

Sandy - I like your sole prep. I often just cover fish with wax paper, but I like the papillote idea. In fact I just read about using banana leaves for salmon last week.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 13, 2018 08:39AM BringOn2017 wrote:

Hi Great about your port Moonflowr! Goodluck! 

Hope you're feeling well Cherry and hope your tastebuds get better soon.

Your Hibachi meal sounds great Minus2.....and your veggie lasagne, but I tend to buy the pre-cooked lasagne sheets as it is so much easier. I also add sliced aubergine/egg plant.

Today is simple fare for lunch.... literally recipe is chicken and sweet corn soup adapted from

http://www.singlefare.com/recipes/chicken-and-sweetcorn-soup/

I used:

a 418g can of creamed corn

2 mugs of water (around 400mls)

1 chicken stock pot (Knorr)

2 chicken tenderloin cut into very thin strips

1 tbsp. soy sauce

ginger

3 large sliced mushrooms

fresh broccoli florets.

Bring all to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes The little one assures me it's delicious!

Tonight we'll have a stirfry of chicken tenderloin, broccoli, sweet red peppers, onions, cashew nuts. 

The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise. Dx 1/23/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER+ Surgery 2/21/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jan 13, 2018 08:04PM bedo wrote:

Cherry and Minus thanks for the recipes! I kind of combined them and have no idea how it tastes, as I just cook don't taste, I know weird. But it weighed about 10 pounds and fit in a 9x13 pan and I took it over this morning. I have no idea how they will eat it all! Going back tomorrow to see my grandson and babysit on MLK day!

Jan 13, 2018 09:06PM - edited Jan 13, 2018 09:07PM by ChiSandy

Defrosted the remaining half of an 8-oz patty of American Kobe beef, and pan-fried it in cast iron. (Burgers are the only beef I'll eat well-done). It had enough fat in it, and the pan was so well-seasoned that it didn't stick. Used the French-fry disc of my Cuisinart to make sweet potato fries, but it created more like coarse shreds. Tossed them with 1 tsp. of grapeseed oil and cooked them in the air-fryer..."meh." I'm seriously considering ditching the thing, and using the air-fry function of my Breville Smart Oven instead. Or cutting fries by hand--not all that time-consuming. Sauteed broccolini to go with it.

For brunch I made a batch of turkey-sausage-and-veggie hash (lower carb, fat & sodium than corned beef hash). Chopped red & green pepper, onion, zucchini, yellow squash & mushrooms; sauteed them in olive oil, added pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles and cooked till the sausage was hot, then seasoned to taste. Topped with a fried egg. Pretty filling, no breadstuffs necessary on the side. And I have two portions left over.

Making late dinner tonight: pan-seared sockeye salmon over rainbow quinoa, with sauteed snap peas on the side.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 09:24PM cse70 wrote:

Chisandy, I considered buying an airfryer. What's your experience with different methods? BTW, love reading your food experiences!

Dx 10/15/2005, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/14/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 1/31/2006 AC Radiation Therapy 3/31/2006 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 3/26/2017 Mastectomy: Right Dx 4/1/2017, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/24/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Jan 13, 2018 09:52PM ChiSandy wrote:

I've found the airfryer does best with commercial frozen fries, latkes & knishes, as well as reheating deep-fried Chinese takeout leftovers without burning them or getting them soggy. I rarely eat regular French fries, and usually just bake or nuke a sweet potato. I think the water content in a fresh garnet yam might not give great results. Mine is the Phillips, bought at Sur La Table. Next time I will try the air-fry function in the Breville (which can also dehydrate at very low heat). I've already found that its "bagel" function isn't good for bagel-and-lox sandwiches, because for those I like to toast the bagel whole (crisping the outside) and then slice it, so the inside is still room temp and won't melt the cream cheese or chevre. The "bagel" function is for a pre-sliced bagel and toasts the cut side down unless I remember to flip it halfway through. I use the "toast" function, at its lightest setting, for bagels & lox, which should be cold (though for mere-"bagel-and-schmear"pre-cutting and toasting both sides is okay).

My failed sweet potato fries experiment did tell me that there's no reason to mourn the discontinuation of the "julienne" disc for the 14-c. Cuisinart: the French-fry disc does more of a coarse julienne. (For fine julienne, I think I'll get the 1mm or 2mm slicing disc and do the "double-cut" method).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 10:52PM MinusTwo wrote:

My meal today was a delicious two egg omelette - sauteed fresh mushrooms & small zucchini pieces, eggs poured on top, matchstick pieces of Havarti after the eggs set & before folding. Served with one slice of San Francisco sourdough.

I really need to eat salad tomorrow before it turns, but it's been cold enough that I only want warm food. Maybe chicken cacciatore w/some of the rotisserie chicken I froze and the rest of the mushrooms - served on the 3 zucchinis that I spiralized today.

Jan 14, 2018 02:43AM ChiSandy wrote:

Anyone have a surefire way to keep cut fresh basil green as long as possible? Mine turns limp, black and rotten in the fridge; I've tried doing what my mom used to (rooting cuttings in water) to no avail--they wilt & die w/in a day. So far, I've tried storing it outside the fridge, and it lasts a bit longer. I've also tried storing it on the counter wrapped in paper towels--have to keep tabs on it twice a day, because it, too will rot. As a last resort I tried drying out the inside of the plastic box, lining it with a paper towel, loosely putting some basil in, and repeat layering--ending by just loosely laying the lid on top w/o snapping it closed. Hoping this works--I hate wasting produce. Wish they sold it loose. (Same problem with tarragon).

As for my homegrown, the last of the thyme bit the dust after a couple of freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw weather cycles. Was able to salvage some of it, especially the lemon thyme, before it all went to hell. Chives survived but barely--pale yellow. Parsley kaput, and rosemary is good only for a bouquet garni in cheesecloth. Looking into indoor herb-seed-starter pot kits.

Jan 14, 2018 10:03AM auntienance wrote:

Sandy, I've had great success with basil cuttings in water on the counter - keeping them up to a month or more that way. Don't know why yours should be wilting. The only other suggestion I have us to grow a small pot of it. I transplant thyme, basil, oregano, Thai basil and parsley into a large pot that I grow in our sunny breakfast room in the winter. The Thai basil and the parsley get puny but everything else does very well. So well that I have a hard time keeping up with it.

Our food choices this frigid winter have been very dull - much like my mood, but I've enjoyed reading about everyone else's. We are planning a trip to Texas in February to visit my nieces, which I hope will tickle my food fancy with some different offerings.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 14, 2018 01:27PM Lacey12 wrote:

Welcome to our new readers/posters! Tho I suppose I have a nerve welcoming folks now that I post so rarely...

Sandy, I also only try to preserve my cut basil in a glass vase near a window....except not when the temp is as low as it has gotten here! I am just finishing up a bunch I cut in September, so it has lasted well...and probably would still be fine if I had taken it off the windowsill during our recent below zero siege! I change the water often since it gets yucky.

Bedo, sorry I never weighed in before you made the veggie lasagna. I have had good luck with making a regular lasagna (either a red sauce or bechamel) but subbing assorted/favorite roasted veggies for the meat later. Really delish!

Eric, enjoyed your sweet memories of DD’s birth day.

Special, thinking of you, and hoping your DMIL’s service is as beautiful as her husband’s was. Condolences to your DH too.

We’ve been having fish a lot lately,...and chicken. Rabbit is probably not on my horizon. Having had a family pet rabbit sort of excludes that as a dining option. And in the past year we have really limited our consumption of red meat....or I could say, mammals. Then there comes that occasional day when we abandon virtue and have a lamburger or order steak from a menu. I haven’t cooked porkchops in years, but I can totally see how your prep, Down, would render a delicious entree!

Since the Celtics have been in London for a game, and are now having a break, we have not had to trek into Boston, but start up again Tuesday night. So I can look forward to my salmon over veggies dish at The Harp.

We enjoyed sole this week (for once on sale at local store...but lordy, is fish expensive now!). I baked three pieces with a topping of sauteed mushrooms, onions, garlic and spinach. It was really good and the fish fresh and sweet.

Last night DH grilled chicken drumsticks that I’d marinated in a mix that included beer/evoo/onions/garlic/cumin/paprika/cayenne/salt and pepper. I had high hopes, but was truly disappointed in the bland taste of the drumsticks. DH loved them. He can finish them tonight! I can make myself an omelet.

Has anyone else seen giant brussells sprouts at their stores? I came across some last week and they were sooo tasty. I am a bs (ha!) fan, so I just boil them, serving with nothing but a bit of butter on them. I can see the bs haters making yucky faces now. ;) Sorry.....

Hoped to post some pix, but my latest food photos seem not to have synced to my Ipad yet...next time!

Nance, I share your lowered creative energy around food prep these days. I think our weather (and other contemporary issues) has really gotten to me this year. That said, I am totally appreciative of Ma Nature’s enormous gift of two balmy, rainy days which almost totally eradicated the enormous snow mounds that graced the corners of every intersection in this area, making driving really dangerous. So now the cold temps are back and we have a winter re-start.

Have any of you had cataract surgery yet? I need to have it done before my bad allergy season starts up and need to decide if having it done with laser is actually more beneficial at all.....since it is not covered by ins. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Hope you are all enjoying your Sunday!

Jan 14, 2018 03:37PM carolehalston wrote:

I cooked domestic rabbit (as opposed to wild/game) some years back. The rabbit was given to me by a brother who was raising them to sell for cooking. It was large and plump, really pretty white meat. I stewed or "smothered" the rabbit with lots of onion and garlic. Dh would not even taste it. There was no way he intended to eat Thumper!

We both ate rabbit on a train in France one year. We were very hungry and made our way to the dining car. Neither of us knew much French and rabbit was what was served. We ate it gladly.

Today a chicken gumbo is in the making. Earlier I went to a little Piggly Wiggly grocery market in search of okra. In the tiny canned veggie section, I found canned okra and canned okra and tomatoes. In the tiny frozen veggie section was frozen okra, chopped and whole. Only in Louisiana, I thought. The aroma of chicken simmering with onion, garlic, okra and tomato is promising of a delicious dinner. I'll add the sausage with some roux later and cook brown rice.

We've had some nights with freezing temperatures, as low as 20's, but my herbs don't seem to mind. I have rosemary, basil, mint, oregano and I think the sage has survived, too. Last night I used some of the rosemary in a marinade for a pork tenderloin. I have become a huge fan of pork tenderloin now that I've learned to cook it.

Moon, your delivered dinners sound good.

Bedo, I hope your DD and DSIL enjoy the lasagna. I'm sure they appreciate your making and delivering it.

Eric, how sweet that you remember the exact time your daughter was born.

Lacey, your food pictures indicate that you eat well at home as well as in restaurants!

Nance, my nod to cooking more exciting meals is printing out recipes. I visited the Milk Street web site earlier and printed several of the free recipes. One is a chicken dish with sumac. I just purchased sumac, Aleppo pepper and za/tar from Penzey's. Now I need to learn how to make use of them.

I enjoy seafood and chicken but I can't imagine giving up red meat. I splurged yesterday and had a huge hamburger that was "dressed," when means it had a generous smear of mayo and lettuce, tomato and pickle. It was so good.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 03:39PM carolehalston wrote:

Correction: not basil but thyme. Basil is delicate.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 05:58PM auntienance wrote:

Lol Carole! I was just getting ready to comment that you had some tough basil there in Louisiana - mine gets mad and turns black under 40°!

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 14, 2018 07:58PM - edited Jan 14, 2018 08:00PM by MinusTwo

Today's meal - sauteed mushrooms, bits & pieces of left-over rotisserie chicken mixed with Rao's Marinara served over zucchini noodles. And of course another slice of Boudin's San Francisco Sourdough bread. And two glasses of the La Moneda Reserva Malbec. This is just an amazing single-varietal red wine for every day use. A Decanter world wine award winner with 95 points out of 100 available only at WalMart for $6.96

Edited to say, this is not a commercial & I don't own stock. I don't even shop at WalMart as a rule, but will go buy more of this wine if I can still find it.

Jan 14, 2018 08:40PM Lacey12 wrote:

Minus, thats funny! Always nice to have a good inexpensive wine recommendation! DH and I decided to do “Dry January”, so I won’t be looking for your recommendation until after this month, but will check it out after that unless I decide that I will live as a “pioneer”. 😉

Am going to try to post some pix from my phone since my Ipad s still not cooperating.

Snow storm chicken chili that I turned into nacho plate, accomanied by salad.

Ginger salmon dinner that included the giant rus sprouts I mentioned.

Baked sole smothered in mushroom/onion/spinach medley. A bit of local sour dough bread on the side. Coveting yours, Minus!

Doing this on phone is less than fun. I’d better synch my devices

Jan 14, 2018 08:45PM Lacey12 wrote:

By the way, not editing a thing in that pic post as the pix keep disappearing when I try to change anything. Apologies

Jan 14, 2018 11:53PM MinusTwo wrote:

Lacey - love your meal descriptions & the pictures. Especially the giant BS. I will look for them.

Special - thinking of you as you're at your MIL's memorial. Check in when you can.

Jan 15, 2018 04:22AM ChiSandy wrote:

Lacey, that's okay--entire posts of mine keep disappearing tonight--including about nice brunch today (Bob went out in the cold and brought it home for me; due to a nasty spill I took late Sat. night, I was too sore to walk to the restaurant and--also due to a Lyrica I'd taken after said fall--too woozy to drive there); and a perfectly dreadful and bland Chinese dinner we ordered in. Just too tired to re-type the details. Let's just say it was Cantonese cardiac patient food. Even Bob (a cardiologist crusading against sodium overuse) said that if one of his patients were to have ordered it, he'd have advised him to add salt.

Jan 15, 2018 11:14AM carolehalston wrote:

You brought on a guilt trip, Lacey. Your food looks so appetizing and healthy as I sit here wondering, "What the devil are we going to eat tonight?" My menu rotation seems to have dwindled to about four or five. Salads have dropped off the menus. Hm...

Thinking of SpecialK during this sad time for her family.

Hope you bounce back from your fall, Sandy. Meanwhile get those guitars in tip top shape.

Happy MLK day to all.

Jan 15, 2018 12:45PM MinusTwo wrote:

Carole - I too have inadvertently dropped salads from my menu. For me, I'm sure it's because of the unusually cold weather for our areas. I only want to eat warm things. Tomorrow we're supposed to have rain turning to sleet & maybe snow by noon - and of all days - I have to drive to the medical center for my Prolia shot.

Jan 15, 2018 01:10PM BringOn2017 wrote:

Hi Lacey your meals look and sound so appetising! Hi ChiSandy hope you're feeling better soon after your fall. Good luck with driving to your Prolia Minus2.

I made meatball beef broth today.... Nice and warm and very simple to make. Fill a pot with water and boil whole potatoes, sliced carrots and sliced zucchini, celery and add some tomato paste and salt. Meanwhile mash beef mince with garlic, grated hard cheese (such as kefalotiri) garlic parsley and beaten egg. When the water is boiling, form meatball and throw in one by one into the boiling water and cook for around 45 minutes to an hour. If you want, you can boil rice or pasta stars separately and add a small portion to each plate of beef broth. Perfect for a cold day.

The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise. Dx 1/23/2017, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER+ Surgery 2/21/2017 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement

Jan 15, 2018 02:00PM eric95us wrote:

Last night I seared some salmon. The "dressng" was a lime juice, scallions, garlic chives and honey mixture.

Tonight I'm going to make up for last night's healthy meal and cook up some meat lasagna.

husband of slawson

Jan 15, 2018 10:19PM eric95us wrote:

Following up..The day before I retired, someone left 2 copies of the America's Test Kitchen, Cook it in Cast Iron "cook magazine" on my desk. This is the one that has the "display until June 26, 2017" note under the bar code.

I followed, more or less, the recipe in it (page 62) for the lasagna. I opted for the hot instead of sweet Italian sausage and I doubled the amount of red pepper flakes. Also, I could not find any no boil lasagna, so I boiled regular lasagna for 1/2 the recommended time and went with that. The other thing I changes was I went with 1/2 the recommended amount of salt. I love salt, but I do have, with the new standards, moderately high blood pressure.

Sharon wants me to save that recipe. We both like the 'leave the mouth tingling' spiciness and are kind of used to the pepper "heat", so keep that in mind when selecting the sausage.

The only downside is that I probably ate enough to undo all the good effects of today's 6 mile run.

husband of slawson

Jan 16, 2018 02:18AM ChiSandy wrote:

Took the leftover shrimp/squid chow fun--to which I'd needed to add star anise, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, salt & pepper just to get it down last night. Tonight, it seemed a bit improved after a night in the fridge for the flavors to marry, but it still lacked a little something. So a few drops of sriracha, 1/2 tsp. soy sauce, and more garlic & ginger, reheated and stirred. Voilà (or the Cantonese equivalent): finally tasted like it came from the dim sum cart. Will set to work on the broccoli in the morning (might need not just a bit more oyster sauce but also perhaps a tad bit of bead molasses, garlic and five-spice powder)--and see what that accomplishes. Nothing, of course, can turn Birds-Eye florets into Chinese broccoli (or even broccolini), but I'm viewing this as an episode of "Chopped: Home Take-Out Edition." (And nobody throwning a secret ingredient like gummy worms or Chee-tos at me).

Jan 16, 2018 06:36AM Cherry-sw wrote:

Hi everybody, I am still down with my EC, just did my last wbc shot and if everything this time will go the way it did the previous two times I will have my first ok day tomorrow. I can’t believe the EC is over, I will start radiation in February and Herceptin and Tamoxifen in the end of this month, not looking forward to it at all( Rads to me is evil, I do not know why, we do not have any proton radiation center for bc, so just 24 times of usual ionized radiation. Got Tamoxifen booklet from my doctor, not looking forward to it either. Hot flashes, joint pain and weight gain, I am already there, is it supposed to be worse? Ok, enough whining, I have another threads for that.

BringOn, welcome, I spent a lot of time on my grandfather’s farm where he bred rabbits among other stuff he did. It was actually me who sort of forced him into this business, when I brought home a small rabbit I got from the neighbour. When I went back home my granddad went to the neighbour and told her, well, you got her a boy, at least switch it to a girl so I can breed them) Well, he was a man with a sense for business, but in a socialistic country there could not be any. We still ended up with probably around a hundred rabbits during summer some years. And we are not talking about the small rabbits, those were large meat rabbits with large ears and their legs, let’s say if you were stupid enough to try to lift this rabbit holding their ears they would easily slice your arm with their back legs. But they never bite and were really fast. So, I grew up with rabbit meat and went in rabbit fur coats for years. My favorite dish was my grandmother baking rabbit livers, hearts and intestinal fat with potatoes in the oven. And this meatball soup you mentioned, I make exactly the same one. If you take minced chicken and add some grated potatoes to it along with minced onions and spices, the meatballs will be very light and fluffy.

I have decided to fast today, only limit myself to drink tea with lemon and ginger. I ate do much during EC and gained so much weight that I have to understand whether I can or cannot control my apetite. So today it will be leftovers day for my smaller family, the eldest is chez her BF in another city. Yesterday I made baked potatoes with Skagen röra, this delicious shrimp sallad we have in Sweden, here comes the picture. I also thaw a half of gravlax I did for Christmas. It was all that delicious.

I also vote for more recipies if I may, because all your pictures and stories are so mouth-watering I have to ask for recipies. Carole, if I did not already had a gumbo recipe from you I had definitely asked for it now)

Cherry

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/21/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/21/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jan 16, 2018 12:39PM SpecialK wrote:

Hi all - I am back, thanks for the kind thoughts. Stayed in a beautiful ocean front rental house with two SIL's and husbands, and my DH and our son and daughter, and three elderly dogs, lol! Memorial was nice, but extended fam (one BIL and his whole fam) behavior was suspect and there has been an abundance of drama and tension - eeesh! None of this directly involved my DH or kids, but we were on the periphery by virtue of proximity. Only direct issue was finding a juvenile deer that had been hit by a car and left and was struggling and suffering on the road to the FIL/MIL house where we were going for dinner Sat night. DD was already there, and always carries, so semi-hysterical SIL's asked her to come and shoot it. Misbehaving BIL was opposed and DD told him to get out of her way, she didn't need his permission. I was standing there, was actually proud of her for standing up to him in a civil way, because she was hell bent on ending this animal's suffering. SIL's feel she is their hero, and the problem was solved, albeit illegally. Was glad to drive away and get home. The interment is Feb. 2, here in FL at the National Cemetery, and all of the attending family will be at my house. I have to say that after this past week, I am nervous about it.

Food has been a non-event, am actually looking forward to cooking but I need to grocery shop as I had winnowed down the supplies before leaving town.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 15 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Jan 16, 2018 05:47PM ChiSandy wrote:

Still have Chinese leftovers, and I know how to make them not just palatable but also tasty (gonna stretch them with bok choy & snow peas), so that'll be dinner tonight. Had an egg atop the breakfast hash I made Saturday; but my plan to toast 1/3 of a bagel--dunno why WF and most bakeries make them so ginormous--fell through when I noticed mold spots. So I had the remaining mini-croissant instead. No lunch, or maybe the leftover hot & sour soup or a small Caprese. My supermarket basil is holding up well in tepid water away from the window.

Jan 16, 2018 05:51PM Cherry-sw wrote:

SpecialK, welcome back, we missed you) Sorry about the family drama, sometimes I wonder why adult people, who would never act this way at any other gathering, still behave this way at family reunions, like they want to prove something. My husband’s family can bring so much drama that I can only meet them one by one and some people not at all.

I am bored to the point I would be happy to go back to work but they said they want me back strong snd rested so I am thinking about more cooking and healthy recipies. Anything you have that is vegetarian, fighting bc please bring it on, again I vote for more recipies. For example I will now always add pears to my sallads, I saw it in all Lacey’s sallads and thought that it was a great idea. And even I try so hard I do not bring myself to like kale( The chips are good but just having it raw in a sallad it is like I am chewing fabrics( Any ideas? I am trying to eat healthy and lose weight, today’s fasting btw did not go so well, by 6PM I caved and ate

Cherry

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/18/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/21/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/21/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jan 16, 2018 06:16PM ChiSandy wrote:

We just were gifted today with a box of Royal Riviera pears, but they're still unripe. They'd be great poached in red wine (especially that leftover pseudo-gløgg), which could then be reduced to a sauce; or in a salad with spinach, walnuts or pecans and chêvre.

Speaking of salad, the romaine e-coli scare is over. Of course, now that I'd tossed mine in favor of red & green Boston lettuces...

Page 1070 of 1,093 (32,785 results)