We are 201,509 members in 81 forums discussing 146,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Moving Beyond Cancer → Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer —

Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 2, 2011 07:28AM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1077 of 1,079 (32,360 results)

Posts 32281 - 32310 (32,360 total)

Feb 9, 2018 03:16PM ChiSandy wrote:

With a snowstorm coming, I went out to the grocery & stocked up. Got home just before the snow began. Gordy & I had the deli counter's prime rib + 2 sides meal (Brussels sprouts & butternut squash), which got overcooked when I wrapped it in foil & warmed it up--no way to keep it medium-rare unless it stays cold--at 200F for 10 minutes. Gordy then went to his GF's for the weekend. Tomorrow, my solo dinner will be a smoked chicken quarter and the leftover sides from tonight. Bob's staying down in Oak Lawn tonight & Sat. at a hotel near his hospital. (He likes to park in the hospital's covered garage and walk the half-mile to & from the hotel). But Sat. morning he will be making rounds at another hospital, 25 min. from Oak Lawn in a poor neighborhood where the streets never get their potholes fixed, much less salted & plowed. (He cancelled his Sat. office hours and should have had someone else cover this hospital, considering it's his "weekend off"--yeah, right). Of course, I will be awakened every hour or so all night by phone calls from nurses & house staff who don't know he's not home (you'd think he'd notify the wards or at least the page office). And people want to know why I sleep in till noon.....

Complicating matters is that early Sat. evening we have a huge Indian banquet out in Downers Grove (35 mi. away from here and at least 40 min--even w/o snow--from the hotel in Oak Lawn) and Sun. evening a birthday party (for the widower of my friend who passed away last June) at the hotel back in Oak Lawn. And I have the AWD car--he insists on driving his Fusion Hybrid even though it's terrible in snow (low clearance, front-wheel drive) because of the fuel economy.

And I have been in telephone/fax hell all day and evening. When the answering machine portion of my phone/answering system (which along with my fax line is connected to my cable company's VOIP modem) broke last month, it took all my voice phone service down with it. The only thing Panasonic's tech support (and my cable company's) could suggest was that I de-activate the answering machine function and get phone company (the cable company) voice mail. So I called the cable company and told them I would like voice mail. Nobody thought to ask me if I wanted it on the fax line as well (and why would I). Just about that time, I stopped getting faxes. I can send them, print or copy, and the fax machine's line rings....and goes to voicemail!

Now, you may ask, why in this day and age would I need a fax machine? Well, ever since two MacOS upgrades ago, one can no longer use a Mac to fax without buying a separate program from third-party vendors. And even though I can tell people to send me e-mail attachments to print out, Bob gets EKGs faxed to him in the middle of the night. I could always run downstairs, print them out and bring them back up....but ERs can't send EKGs as e-mail attachments.

I spent literally hours today dealing with the cable company, which had never heard of such a problem before. Was handed off to tech after tech (and tortured with the world's most annyoing music-on-hold), each of whom assured me that there was no longer voicemail on the fax line--I just needed a couple of hours for it to take effect. Five hours later, I called the fax machine....which rang and went to voicemail! I called the cable company back, but the tech assured me there was no voicemail on the fax line. I picked up my cell, dialed the fax machine, put it on speaker, and got the generic voicemail greeting and request to leave a message. "NOW do you believe me?" I asked the tech. She was nonplussed, spent 20 min. trying to look stuff up and then said the "switching dept." was gone for the day and would have to call me in the morning. (So much for sleeping in). How much do you wanna bet I'm going to have to either get a second account & modem just for the fax line, or revert to Ma Bell? (no doubt, incurring a whopping fee for a service call).

Does anyone here have the telecom/IT expertise to figure this $#i+ out? (I just consoled myself with a lemon pački, the only remaining one at the bakery counter).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 9, 2018 06:36PM Cherry-sw wrote:

I have zero computaer, car or any elaborated technically expertise, sorry, I repell technology it seems.

But I need your advice regarding cacao beans that I have at home, bought them during our trip to Dominican Republic last year. I have both beans and called cacao tea, the peels from the beans that you brew like you do you with regular tea. i did not consume anything I was not sure about while on chemo but now when I am four weeks PFC I wonder whether I can drink the tea or snack on the beans or if there are any contradictions. Anything you heard of?

The eldest DD is coming home today and I think I will make corn chiken wok with either hoisin sauce, her favourite, or lemon grass and chili. Tomorrow will be broiled burgers.

Off I go to my rads.

And here comes the picture of the tea and the beans.

Cherry

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/17/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/20/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/20/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Feb 10, 2018 02:14AM carolehalston wrote:

Last night was pork chops (the cheap, flavorful ones that have some fat and a bone In the middle) seasoned and cooked in a hot oven. They were actually pork steaks. Sides were sweet potato dish (mashed and mixed with butter and brown sugar) and tossed romaine salad with cucumber, grape tomatoes and avocado.

I bought some locally caught wild catfish fillets for tonight but we may end up eating out after seeing a movie late this afternoon. There's an Italian restaurant that's known for its muffaletta sandwiches, which I love but seldom eat because they're very salty. They're made on a special round bread loaf. The meat is Italian ham and salami, piles of it. And the dressing is a chopped olive mixture. One whole muffaletta serves four people or two very piggish people. Central Grocery in the French Quarter in New Orleans claims to be the originator of the sandwich.

This local restaurant is Di Martino and I like their muffaletta better than Central Grocery's. DI Martino puts cheese on theirs and toasts the sandwich if desired. The original Di Martino is on the west bank of New Orleans.

I have resisted buying a king cake this mardi gras season but succumbed yesterday. I bought a small one with cream cheese filling. We had a slice for dessert last night and dh and his brother had a slice for their breakfast before going off to play golf.

The rain has poured down on the mardi gras crowds gathered to watch parades but these crowds are undeterred. It's amazing.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 10, 2018 04:13AM Cherry-sw wrote:

carolehalston, I had to google Mardi Gras, I mean I heard the name so many times but did not know what it was. And even king cake, it looked yammy. But I do know what muffaletta is, or how Jamie Oliver called them muffuletta, and according to him it did originated in New Orleans)) In his recipe he used focaccia. He says that it used to be workers’ meal when they had this gigantic sandwich and if there were any leftovers they brought it home and warmed it in the oven until provolone melted. He had an article about muffulettas) When I lose my weight I am going to make one. Both gumbo and muffulettas were on my list. I already know how to cook a gumbo, and I will make one next time the eldests’ BF is here, she told him all about it already. And I believe the muffuletta is going to be very much appreciated in our family

Dx 6/28/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 7/17/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 8/20/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 8/20/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Feb 10, 2018 04:46AM - edited Feb 10, 2018 06:09AM by ChiSandy

No idea what to do with the cacao beans; maybe if they've been de-hulled you can grind them into cocoa "nibs" to chew or even powder. To turn them into chocolate is a long process that is probably near-impossible for a home cook, but if anyone can do it, it's you, Cherry! The tea from the hulls is perfectly safe--in fact, there are chocolate-flavored teas that use crushed cacao hulls.

The fax line is finally devoid of voicemail--after two more tech support rounds this morning.

Monday I'm putting in my order for a small king cake and pački from Bennison's bakery in Evanston, for Tues. pickup in order to avoid the lines around the block. (They get their king cakes from LA). I could ask Bob to bring pački on Tues. if he'll be in his office, near several Polish bakeries and "family" restaurants with in-house takeout bakeries. Tough around here to find the round flat sesame Italian loaves for muffuletta (prounounced "muffu-LA-ta," a NOLA friend tells me); and I'm not about to bake one. But the olive relish is plentiful--as are the salumi & provolone. One year, when we took the WXRT-FM "Rock & Blues Excursion" to Jazz & Heritage, our last stop before getting on the airport-bound bus was Central Grocery. Bought 10 of them, had five cut into wedges. Passed them out on the plane, which was a "soda-and-peanuts" budget flight. Kept one for us, one for our housekeeper (we brought her because the rooms were doubles and several of her favorite New Age jazz bands were playing), and Bob brought three to his office for lunch for the staff.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 10, 2018 12:51PM - edited Feb 10, 2018 12:55PM by eric95us

changed post because I see that the voicemail is now gone from the FAX line. Does it work OK now?

husband of slawson

Feb 10, 2018 11:12PM carolehalston wrote:

DH and his brother ordered a sandwich meal with half a muffaletta (two quarters), a cup of seafood gumbo, and a scoop of potato salad. I just ordered the muffaletta which was four quarters. Hate to admit that I ATE THE WHOLE THING. The bun wasn't as big as those at Central Grocery and the sandwich probably wasn't as good as I remembered but it was good. It was a little skimpy on the deli meat and the olive dressing, which is probably a good thing! Still a week's worth of salt.

Sandy, my sister-in-law, Deanna, who is Italian, makes the muffaletta bread for their muffaletta sandwiches. I'll ask her for her recipe and pass it along. The Central Grocery bread is, as you know, dense.

I love browsing in Central Grocery. Lots of imported food items on their shelves and in big bins.

Not sure about tonight's dinner. I'll think it over at the gym.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 11, 2018 09:32AM ChiSandy wrote:

Fax line is back to normal but can’t send a test fax from Bob’s laptop...it seems to have frozen at a gray screen. (7-yr-old Sony VAIO, which, counted in dog years, might as well be 25). And a colleague called to warn him not to open any e-mails from her because she’s been hacked. At least he has the office computer so he can read echocardiograms.

We blew off the Indian banquet tonight—I’m fighting an incipient cold, Bob reports patches of black ice even on plowed roads, and with many dozens of guests we won’t be missed. It’s a buffet, so who knows how many flu-carriers might be touching the serving utensils; and these banquets usually last over 4 hrs. And if I am to brave the roads for anything this weekend, it’ll be our friend Jim’s birthday party in Oak Lawn tomorrow night—don’t want to get sicker before then. Been knocking back huge mugs of chicken bouillon.

So dinner tonight is tagliatelle alla Bolognese with sautéed broccolini. Less work than it sounds, because the noodles get nuked in a “Fasta Pasta” and I have a jar of imported sauce. I can do the broccolini in my sleep. Opening a nice Umbrian red blend to go with it.

Feb 11, 2018 06:05PM - edited Feb 11, 2018 06:09PM by Cherry-sw

ChiSandy, lol, you cracked me up)) On the other hand it cannot be that difficult, since the beans are already dry you can only grind them and voilà you can cook warm chocolate adding some sugar. I intend to eat them as is until someone cries out that being ER+ we shouldn't. It seems we cannot eat much anything after all, which is ok for me until I lose this weight, but in the long run, if one should exclude meat, diary and carbs, and start eating as a rabbit, the only things that are left are veggies, fruits and beans.

My husband bought one of my favorite Italian pinot noirs on Friday so I already blew my weekly three glasses limit.

Chicken wok with hoisin sauce turned out very well, the youngest had been eating it several times stating that it may as well be her new favorite dish. She likes these small canned corns and the chicken gets all this sweet and sticky. I still did not do any broiled burgers yet because we had leftovers yesterday. We skated on the evening and I did8800m, skating is much better for my plantar fascitis but there is no way I burn as much energy I do while powerwalking so 10 km walk is on my to-do-list for today. Then I will make the burgers and maybe cranberry orange cake again. The eldest visited her father yesterday and stayed ivern night there, so will be coming today and she will appreciate the cake for sure.

Carol, I would also like the muffuletta bread recipe. When my KitcheAid arrives I plan to dive into the art of bread baking. I also want to try Indian pakora recipe I found in my new favorite cooking book from the greenhouse here in Stockholm that even serves vegetarian buffé. And I will try to make Jamie Oliver's muffuletta at home with foccaccia, cured meats, olive relish and provolone. The DD's BF will be here on Valentine's day and I am sure he will like it a lot. 10 km powerwalk coming right up

Feb 12, 2018 12:53PM eric95us wrote:

It's another experiment with chicken that I started tonight. This is from the little black recipe book that was passed from my great-great-grandmother, to my great-grandmother, to my grandmother, to my mom and then to me. As usual, there were no measurements or cooking times and the writing was difficult to read, so I had to make some guesses. The page said chicken broth, but I used turkey broth as that's what I had canned up a few months ago.

Bake an entire head (a whole collection of cloves) of garlic until it's soft. "Squish" (that's what I think it said) the garlic into a bowl, add turkey broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper and stir until the garlic "paste" is all broken up in the liquid. I used one of my small jars of turkey broth (8 fluid ounces) and added the lemon juice until I liked how it tasted. The salt and pepper were added the same way. I used 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and 3/4 teaspoon of pepper.

Coat chicken in flour, cook over medium-high heat on each side until the nice golden color appears, add in the liquid made above and simmer the chicken in it until it's done. I used my Dutch oven and after I added the liquid, I used the oven's cover to keep the liquid from evaporating.

I used boneless-skinless chicken breasts and I sliced the breasts so they were only half as thick as normal. When I try to cook full thickness chicken breasts, I have a hard time getting the chicken cooked without being dry. Making things half as thick has fixed that for me quite nicely.

Once the chicken was done, remove the chicken, stir in butter and enough flour to make a "very slightly thick" (whatever that means) gravy. Again, no mention of amount was mentioned, so I went with a tablespoon of butter and a similar amount of flour. The "gravy" is thin by gravy standards, but noticeably thicker than before I did this. Just in case I want to change something, I'm keeping notes (just like when I was in college).

Tomorrow I'll reheat this, put the chicken atop a bed of noodles and spoon the liquid over the chicken and noodles.

I wasn't sure what to do with the garlic, so I looked it up in a cookbook and did what they suggested...wrap the garlic head in aluminum foil and bake at 350F degrees until the garlic is very soft when squeezed. This took about 45 minutes. To get the garlic "paste" out, cut the top off of the head and squeeze....removing any garlic peel/skins.

The reason I didn't finish it tonight, was that DD came over and we all ended up at the shopping mall (actually they shopped and I paid). :-) By the time we got back, Sharon sat down and fell asleep. We had 17 hour days Friday and Saturday. Sharon is the robotics team coach (I also help) and yesterday was the last competition of the season.

husband of slawson

Feb 12, 2018 09:19PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Hubby made spaghetti and meatballs last night. So it looks like tonight is meatball grinders

If you value your freedom, thank a servicemember both serving and retired! Dx 3/27/2013, Paget's, Left, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx 3/27/2013, IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 4/15/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/26/2013 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 9/26/2013 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Targeted Therapy 10/28/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/28/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 1/29/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/22/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Feb 12, 2018 10:06PM carolehalston wrote:

Last night was salmon baked at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. A mixture of yogurt, dill and mustard spread on the top. Side was canned artichoke hearts drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with romano and heated in the oven with the salmon. Also a salad of cucumber, grape tomatoes, avocado and Kalamata olives.

Feb 12, 2018 10:11PM carolehalston wrote:

Eric, your chicken recipe is similar to a dish my mother cooked, "smothered" chicken. She salted and peppered the chicken pieces, bone in and skin on, dredged them in flour, fried in hot oil in a big deep iron skillet. Poured off the excess grease. Added water and simmered until the browned flour formed a gravy and the chicken was tender. We ate the chicken and gravy over white rice. It was quite good.

Feb 13, 2018 01:22AM SpecialK wrote:

eric- saw this online this morning, made me think of you and your abundant crop of oranges!

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 14 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Feb 13, 2018 01:59AM - edited Feb 13, 2018 02:00AM by Cherry-sw

The broiled burgers were a success, I may as well start to serve them as street food since no one has heard of this idea here and I have not seen it in any cooking book or magazine either. I saw DH literally sucking up three of them. I myself could not resist and ate one, and even a tortillas bread stuffed with ground meat filling, it was so good but since I have not been eating much meat or carbs for several days I got so tired, went to bed and was not able to get up until it was time to sleep. The DD's BF is coming tomorrow and it looks like he wants to try these burgers since DD told him all about them.

Marinated chicken drumsticks backed with potato, sweet potato, carrots wedges with shallots, garlic, rosemary and olive oil today. To it I made carrot salad and Italian bean salad. I tried not to eat anything but this is so hard, so one drumstick, some salad and several sweet potato and carrot wedges I am sitting here hating myself. No rads today and no running, my machine had service today and I wish someone could come and mend my left foot in the same way i.e. some technical service and problem solved. But will try my thread-mill and see what happens, yesterday after my power-walk I could hardly walk at all.

Feb 13, 2018 08:15AM carolehalston wrote:

Tuna Subway sandwiches for dinner. DH and I decided to replace the hood over the stove. He went shopping and bought a new hood. It turned into quite a lengthy project. I was too tired to cook so went to the nearest Subway, about 3 minutes away. We'll eat after we finish our Old-fashioned cocktails made with rye whiskey.

Cherry, I sympathize with you as you try to resist eating good food you prepare for your family.

Feb 13, 2018 09:22AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Hubby suprised me while I was finishing up at PT today, he took me to Texas Roadhouse for dinner

If you value your freedom, thank a servicemember both serving and retired! Dx 3/27/2013, Paget's, Left, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx 3/27/2013, IDC, Left, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 4/15/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/26/2013 Mastectomy: Left Surgery 9/26/2013 Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Targeted Therapy 10/28/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/28/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 1/29/2015 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 4/22/2015 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Feb 13, 2018 09:26AM DownNotOut wrote:

carolehalston, I'm glad you like the tuna at Subway. My DD3 adores tuna but I won't let her get it when we're out for a quick meal due to food safety paranoia.

Tonight we were treated to my 11 yr old DS's favorite meal to make: chicken soup from scratch and homemade Mac and cheese. He is always so proud to serve, so even if the soup is a little thin for my taste, we rave about it and he keeps wanting to cook for the family. On Sunday he and DD2 made cornmeal churros dusted with sugar - delicous! They piped the batter into hot oil and made very pretty ribbed curls that tasted just like donuts! Those clever kids of mine - what will they make next?

Back to the salad dressing topic from way back - Are you folks trying to avoid soybean oil? Aren't we supposed to? I eat some sort of salad at work most days and am going to start taking my own dressing. I checked the labels on the Newman's Own packets there and ALL of them contain soybean oil. Is Tamari Soy Sauce OK for us to eat? I had that last week with the chicken fried rice I made and it is so good. But I am very confused about the whole soy thing and have read mixed conclusions and you'll never catch me eating Tofu as a main dish.

DownNotOut Dx 11/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/16/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/1/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Feb 13, 2018 10:13AM ChiSandy wrote:

Instant miso soup--have a full-blown laryngitis. The only stuff for which I have any appetite are carbs, carbs & more carbs. Maybe eat that leftover smoked chicken thigh for dinner and head back to bed. (No fever, no headache, no nasal congestion but I still feel awful). Driving yesterday my tire pressure sensor came on, but all the tires looked normal, my gauge showed no problem--and there was too much snow at the gas station to drive close enough to the air machine. I was supposed to go to the Subaru dealership to have the tires checked out--maybe a bad sensor? But didn't feel like getting out of my PJs & hoodie. Tomorrow I have to go up to Evanston to pick up our pačzki and king cake order--will plug an emergency air compressor into my aux power socket, open the garage door, turn on the engine and give each tire a shot of air to see what happens. If I get to the bakery and the light's still on, I'll go to the dealership and get a loaner.

Feb 13, 2018 11:25PM carolehalston wrote:

Sandy, sorry you're feeling so miserable. Hope the king cake helps! :-)

DownNotOut, my bc dr. told me to avoid soy (2009) but I don't know if you have to worry about a tiny amount in salad dressing. I think there is some disagreement on the subject of whether soy is to be avoided. On tuna at Subway, dh and I have been eating their tuna sandwiches for years all over the US and so far no gastric issues. In fact, I wonder why their tuna and mayo mixture tastes so much better than mine. Often when we travel, we stop at a Subway for lunch because the food is dependable and fast.

One difference is that some Subway employees are more generous than others. The girl yesterday put 5 or 6 generous scoops. I get almost all of the veggies except onion and dh gets the onion, too. Have to admit that I also bought 3 of their delicious cookies for dessert.

Tonight will be a WW one-pot dish with ground turkey Italian sausage and pasta. It calls for broccolini but I will substitute green peas. Our supermarkets don't seem to know about broccolini. I make my own Italian sausage by grinding some fennel seeds by hand and adding red pepper flakes, onion and garlic powder, and s & p. Mix the ground meat with the spices.

Happy Mardi Gras to everyone! Hope you catch a lot of "throws" of some kind today.

Feb 14, 2018 12:14AM SpecialK wrote:

downnotout - I have never spoken to my MO about food to eat/avoid, but the soy most advise avoiding is soy protein isolates - mostly used in supplements and protein bars, etc. Soy sauce and soy oils do not contain this - but depending on what type of products you use the soy contained may be genetically modified, and it is an individual decision whether that is important to you. I use organic tamari, which is gluten free, instead of regular soy sauce because it tastes less salty to me, but also use coconut aminos, which tastes pretty similar. I use non-soy based salad dressings, often make my own with olive oil, vinegar, salt/pepper, and a little Dijon mustard - sometimes add shallot and change up the type of vinegar. I use Hampton Creek Just Mayo, which is egg, dairy and soy free.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 14 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 6/18/13-present. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Dx 9/27/2010, DCIS, Stage 0, Grade 3

Feb 14, 2018 05:01AM Cherry-sw wrote:

DownNotOut, I was told by the first oncologist I met to avoid soy products and I asked him whether I should stop consuming soy at all? But he said that soy sauce to sushi, miso soup are fine, he was talking about soy products like quorn, meat substitutes. So, I have my mushroom soy I use in woks and some marinades, not too much, a couple of dashes and my Japanese soy sauce for brussel sprouts dressing and sushi.

ChiSandy, whenever I have cold I take several cm ginger, grate it into a huge cup or a pitcher, squeeze half of lemon and put it there as well, add a dollop of honey and pour boiling water on it, may add a tea bag too. And then start sipping it as soon as it is possible to take a first sip, usually works wonders for me.

Broiled burgers again with coleslaw, much appreciated by the DD’s BF, nothing for me! I packed the leftovers even though the smell was killing me but I managed to stay away, the smell still lingers though.. But I have a fridge stuffed with veggies, bought four organic eggplants and was thinking about moussaka actually, have all ingredients, may as well make it and watch my family eat it. A new kind of food porn. Thank you, carolehalston, for showing some compassion for me)) I guess I have myself to blame that I ate that much during chemo but I wonder whether I am retaining water too. I was supposed to go to a customer event tonight but decided not to go because I cannot stand the way I look but hopefully more events will come.

Tomorrow I was thinking about cooking shrimp soup using the shells, a recipe from a famous Swedish chef. l saved a few bags in my freezer and even have the the shrimps to peel for the soup. The only thing I do not have is fennel but I red somewhere that fennel is bot good for hormonal bc and stopped buying it. Anyhow, the DD&BF, who btw is taking a second round on those burgers, will be dining out and DH and I may as well enjoy the soup.

Another recipe I was willing to try is called French Onion Panade from NYT Cooking, a friend recommended it to me, and it was from the beginning a way to utilize onion soup leftovers by sopping them up with toasted sourdough bread and baking it in the oven that later became its own dish.

Otherwise, made a huge pot of borsch, no carbs, only veggies and that is what I intend to eat without any bread. No meat and no bread, by Sunday I will be ready to kill for a hot dog. I am watching all seasons of 30Rock and it is impossible to watch the showbecause Tina Fey is esting a sandwich in every episode. Sorry for the rant)

Happy Mardi Gras! I am so glad I have finely learnt what it is.

Feb 14, 2018 10:02AM ChiSandy wrote:

Cherry, I have some fresh ginger--an infusion with it and lemon & honey sounds great! My MO told me that the phytoestrogens that occur naturally in soy (preferably non-GMO) are orders of magnitude weaker than either pharmaceutical estrogen or estrogen produced by the body. Nonetheless, they do bind to estrogen receptors and clog them up to keep bodily estrogen out; but their estrogen is so weak that the cells can't utilize it. But it has to be natural soy: edamame, tofu, tempeh, and organic soy milk, soy sauce or tamari. Soy protein isolate (in highly processed foods, fake meats and soy protein supplements) is highly concentrated and likelier to be accessed by the tumor cells. I hate the taste of soymilk anyway (grassy-chalky) and it doesn't froth worth a darn, so I use almond milk for my cappuccinos & lattes. Of course, because growing almonds uses so much water, that makes me an eco-criminal.

Bought pačzki and a King Cake today--good thing I ordered two days in advance, as the "walk-in" line at the bakery was as long as some TSA lines and twice as slow. I just breezed up to the "Advance Orders" register and was out in two minutes. Didn't even use up a third of my parking meter time. Got the pačzki home, and D'OH--I'd ordered only five (forgot to get lemon curd and while prune is ok in Danish and hamantashen, it's gross in the equivalent of a jelly donut...come to think of it, sounds like it might be a good practical joke). Had half of the chocolate praline mousse one...yum!

Ordered out for fried oysters and crawfish fried rice. (The other restaurants that both do Cajun and deliver are out of oysters & crawfish--and the gumbo from the one place delivering tonight smells sort of like...oh, let's not pull punches...B.O. Probably all that "trinity" (especially the celery & onion) sitting around all day.

Feb 14, 2018 11:15AM MinusTwo wrote:

My son is visiting. NY Strip steaks, 'ancient grains' combo, corn (the only veggies he'll eat). New computer. New toilet. Lots of other honey dos getting accomplished.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 14, 2018 11:58AM - edited Feb 14, 2018 11:59AM by SpecialK

minus - the essentials - new computer and new toilet - very good! Yay for a son visit!

cherry - hang in there - my DD is doing likewise as she must fit into a bridesmaid dress she already has for a wedding in less than a month!

chisandy - are you feeling better?

Feb 14, 2018 12:37PM ChiSandy wrote:

Thanks, SpecialK. My voice was getting better but the Mucinex wore off and I'm sounding froggy again (when I can speak). To top things off, my L wrist is badly strained again (when I reached down below the steering column to lock the lever I actually felt something click). It's not red, but it clicks whenever I rotate my hand too far. This time I think that topical anti-inflammatories won't cut it--will probably need a splint or even a cast. (Looks like the mani-pedi I'd planned for tomorrow is going to be a trip to Immediate Care instead. Thank goodness I don't have to play guitar or sing for quite a while.

Feb 15, 2018 02:06AM MinusTwo wrote:

Tonight will be Laurie's Mexican Chicken. My DS loves that and it's easy so we can continue to work on other projects.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 15, 2018 02:50AM - edited Feb 15, 2018 02:51AM by Moonflwr912

Happy Valentines Day. And First Day of Lent, Adh Wednesday, fasting for Catholics. My DH wont be home today, so no worries about candy. LOL. I have to eat, though, diabetes needs food.

On Sunday, I had an open frozen bag of chicken meatballs from Costco, so added some soy sauce and veggies. Served it up on rice. Ate it Monday too, and yesterday, as fried rice. I didnt realize just how many meatballs were in that small bag! LOL. Theres probably 5 or 6 left, as I only ate 3 each time. LOL. BTW, my MO also said dont worry about soy too much.

Cherry, hang in there. Youll lose a bit if you dont try so hard. You do need protien, though, to help heal your good cells, and to keep up the red and white blood cells that prevent you.

Chisandy, Im just north of Milwaukee, but didnt want to make a trip down there to get paczki. And I'm polish. LOL. Hope you feel better. I still sound like a frog 2 weeks after that cold. Which was after the flu. And the ginger, honey, lemon really helps, I use ut too.

Specialk, Im sorry about your loss. Dont know how I missed that. But the wooden urn is beautiful, and shows such love.

Carole, I love Subway once in a while. I load up the veggies and get the roast beef. It actually has less calories and sodium than the chicken breast. But then I spoil it by getting the sweet onion sauce. LOL. I do ask for the dressing on the side, because I get a footloong, and then it doesnt go soggy, and I get 2 meals out if it.

Minus, yay for DS visit!!!!

Downandout, I'm immpressed with your kids cooking! Thats wonderful they enjoy it. Before my kids left for college, they could cook pasta, chili, potroast,and pork tenderloin medalions dinner (fancy dinner for a special occassion that doesnt take much time, or cost too much) Just like before they got thier drivers license, they had to learn to check the fluids, change the oil, and change a tire. All 4 are competent adults now, 3 married. Goid to teach them things they need to know.

Dinner tonite will be cauliflower with cheese, possibly with some noodles. Maybe tomato soup made from V8 juice.

Much love to all, especially those I didnt mention.

Sometimes life SUCKS! Sometimes it doesn't. I prefer when it doesn't! If you're ever bored, read my biography. Bring snacks..... LOL Monica Dx 11/11/2011, DCIS, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 12/8/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 12/8/2011 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 1/17/2012 Reconstruction (left) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2012 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2012 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 8/13/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 8/20/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/10/2012 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 8/14/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 9/4/2013 Reconstruction (left) Surgery 12/13/2013 Reconstruction (left): Saline implant; Reconstruction (right): Saline implant

Feb 15, 2018 05:55AM - edited Feb 15, 2018 08:00AM by Cherry-sw

My precccious has arrived, the pistaggio green, blank KitchenAid is finely here, the BF went and picked up delivery, it is heavy.

Updated my post with the picture. The color is great, green is my favorite color, but I wanted to have vanilla egg shell first but they were out of stock. The youngest wanted to have this one and she was so right. And when I ordered it I actually thought that she is so interested in baking that she can inherit it later.

The shrimp soup turned out great and I ate it even though it contained non-organic heavy cream. Starting approx a week ago everything tastes sweet now, it is not the mostly unpleasant post-chemo SE but it is weird and freaks me out a little bit. I also caved in and ate an egg and shrimp sandwich becauseit is Valentine day and I was so hungry. Since it was carbs, shrimps and most importantly food, even if it tasted sweet, I felt so full and not to mention 1,5 glass Masi Campofiorin.

What I have totally missed today was that te youngest had no school and I had her home the whole day. I had my rads, went with her grocery shopping, then to my PT appointment, did a phone meeting starting from my car on my way home storming in waving like everybody quiet! and then after that we just spent a few hours in the kitchen together, she baked and decorated pink cupcakes, I only helped her with devices, and me cooking dinner. It was a real Valentine present and she in the morning she got me a run with tea that had tiny candy hearts in it. I kept telling myself to remember to live in the present for moments like this.

SpecialK, solidarity with your DD, those bridesmaid dresses, it is like the bribes orders them deliberately in size 2 so we all look like sausages.

Minus, stripe steaks sound so good. Hope you and your som had great dinner together. I bought this huge levain loaf today and thought of you and your Boudain sourdough

ChiSandy, I love packi, in Germany they are called berliners and are filled with plume jelly, I love them. Here my favourite is with apple sauce.

Happy Valentine to you all!

Feb 15, 2018 12:01PM eric95us wrote:

When I was 19 years old I "lusted" for a stand mixer, but couldn't justify the expense...It's likely a strange want for a 19 year old guy. :-)

I finally got one a few years back and it's been a joy to use.

Do observe the "load limits" that are probably in the user's manual when kneading bread.

I like the car with the oranges pouring out of it. I was feeling like that could happen to me, but in my case, it would have been the back of a truck.

Chi, hopefully you're feeling better by now.

Down, I wish I had learned to cook (more) when I headed off to college. I used myself as an example for DD and she picked up quite a bit more cooking before she went off to college.

And, Moon, she, too, had to know how to check the oil, tire pressure, change a flat tire, etc. on a car before we would sign the consent forms for her to get a driving license.

Tonight's dinner was one of those "throw it together" things. It was cold and rainy and I didn't feel like going out to the grocery store today....Three bell peppers cut into slices, an onion cut into slices, some garlic and probably 1-1/2 teaspoons of dried cayenne pepper flakes. Cook the sausage (I'm guessing about 1 pound) and "the rest of the stuff" separately until it looks good and then combine for a few minutes before putting it into sandwich rolls. There will be enough for lunch and another dinner.

I used some home made rolls https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/italian-sub-rolls-recipe

Sharon ate and fell asleep almost immediately after she ate. She is retiring this May and I'll be glad. It makes me sad that she's so exhausted after work.

husband of slawson

Page 1077 of 1,079 (32,360 results)