We are 211,254 members in 82 forums discussing 151,395 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Moving Beyond Cancer —

Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 05:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1126 of 1,128 (33,825 results)

Posts 33751 - 33780 (33,825 total)

Sep 11, 2018 08:28PM Redheaded1 wrote:

Well Heidi sounds just like Esmerelda. So it must be normal. Esmerelda's never had kittens either. It is a bedtime ritual or anytime I crash on the sofa. So I guess I won't worry too much about it. Vet told me there is something called "Feli-way" that is a spray or you can put it in a diffuser. Supposed to calm cats. Havne't looked for it yet. Sometimes Esmerelda meow's and meows in the house-she never did it till I moved to this larger home. The previous owner had a little dog named Napoleon. I don't know if Napoleon died in the house but sometimes I wonder if she is seeing ghosts and talking to them.

Dx 1/31/2014, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/23/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 4/10/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/9/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/24/2015 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/12/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 11, 2018 11:00PM MinusTwo wrote:

Red - good to see you. Thanks for posting. The lamb sounds delicious. But not sure who Heidi is on the 2nd post. I'm thinking you meant to direct that elsewhere?

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Sep 12, 2018 01:29AM ChiSandy wrote:

A little boy for whom I was a jr. counselor at day camp--he was a guitar prodigy who taught me some barre chords, and I helped him with reading--grew up to work in one of the towers, and was killed on 9/11. I found this out a year later, when they were reciting the names at what was still Ground Zero, and I recognized his instantly--it's not a common surname. The NYTimes had a section of tributes to each of the victims--and when I saw the photo, even with the receding hairline & mustache, I knew it was him. When his fiancee described how much he loved playing reggae & blues guitar, that clinched it.

On the morning of 9/11:

We had been using our first HDTV as a giant alarm clock. The Today show was on, and they were discussing Michael Jordan's return to basketball, so I pulled out my earplugs and sat up to watch. Suddenly, they cut to a woman in the street saying "I think it was a small plane..." Then a sickening shot of the North tower in flames, and then every reporter on the network came on. As the coverage went on, I saw the second plane appear, cross the screen, and hit the South tower. I called my boss and told him I wasn't going to the status call we had scheduled at court at the Daley Center--I said I was pretty sure that court would be cancelled that morning. Turns out they evacuated the building and even the CTA elevated trains stopped running.

I called my sister in Arlington, VA--we'd grown up in Brooklyn and watched the WTC's foundations being dug. We'd gathered in NYC each year and had family holiday brunches at Windows on the World. We were talking when there was this rumbling noise in the background. "Hold on," she said, "there's a plane flying really low and I can't hear you." Less than a couple minutes later, NBC cut to the DC feed and reported an explosion at the Pentagon. My sister said she had to go retrieve my niece from kindergarten--she had several classmates whose parents worked at the Pentagon. (Miraculously, none of them were there that day). Her house is in a direct line between Dulles & Reagan.

My friend who worked at a suburban weekly paper called--their newsroom had only a B&W antenna TV; could I fill her in on what was happening? I described what I was seeing--and it looked like the South tower was bending. The commentators noted that and said it must be an optical illusion. Just then, the tower collapsed.

The school sec'y at Gordy's school called to say that classes were being dismissed early--could I pick some of Gordy's friends up and take them home until their folks got home from work? We all piled into our Taurus and I turned on the radio to the rock station we always listened to (WXRT). All the DJs were on the air, not playing music but instead discussing the day's events and taking live calls from anyone who wanted to talk.

Four days later I had a show scheduled in Madison, WI. UW had cancelled all events for the weekend. I called the coffeehouse and asked if the show was still on. "We need music more than ever," came the reply. I drove up I-90, underneath a blue sky empty of anything but a few birds--we were so used to no air traffic by then that every bird at first looked ominous till we realized they were alive.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2018 05:42AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

My stepdad at the time of 9/11 was working in Boston at one of the Federal buildings. I was laid off from work at the time and the first indication something was going on was that a relative from another state called us and asked if we had seen the news, I told her we hadn't seen anything since the early morning news and what was going on. She told me and I turned on the tv to a local channel. My younger brother was trying to get a part-time job at the base in the area and my mom was gone with him. They came back a bit later and said the base was in total lockdown. I told her why and we sat watching the coverage as we worried about my stepdad. When he got home, I was the first one to meet him at the door with a huge bear hug. They had sent everyone home as soon as word of the plane hitting the Pentagon reached them. From what he said at the time the highways were packed with people trying to get out. He said he had watched the two planes that had left Boston take off.

If you value your freedom, thank a servicemember both serving and retired!

Sep 12, 2018 10:39AM carolehalston wrote:

Can't say I "enjoyed" the personal experiences of 9/11 but I appreciate the sharing. I was in a waiting room at a medical clinic waiting to be called for blood work when the news came on a little tv in the room.

I hope Florence isn't as devastating as possible and probable. September is a bad hurricane month. The doubters of the science behind climate change can continue doubting, all to no good effect.

Tonight's dinner will be the menu that didn't happen for last night. I returned home from women's golf at 5 pm, walked into the camper summer home and heard ice cubes clinking in glasses. Immediately I knew, broasted chicken from Clancy's restaurant for dinner. So tonight will be baby back ribs with salad and a veggie side, maybe corn cut off the cob.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 12, 2018 11:28AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Still debating about dinner.

Sep 12, 2018 12:17PM MinusTwo wrote:

Thinking about Florence and I agree with Carol. Today is the anniversary of Hurricane Ike in 2008. Although I didn't have any flooding in my house, we were without power for 3 weeks. And then Harvey last year when the storm stalled and the rain just kept coming.

Brunch will be leftover ham hock & beans. Dinner will likely be a salad, but maybe a couple more of those wild caught Cod fillets. They were really good.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Sep 12, 2018 02:26PM eric95us wrote:

I was deployed to Ike.....

All the road signs had blown over, EXCEPT, the 35mph speed limit signs.

All the billboards were shredded except for one that a chaplain pointed out. "I know it's a small world. I built it. God."

I, too, watched the TV coverage on 9/11 and later, I monitored the telephone network performance foe everything all along the east coast. The phone system held together...barely.....

husband of slawson

Sep 12, 2018 03:42PM illimae wrote:

Eric, I just started my job at TxDOT a few months before Ike hit, I helped write and issue the contracts to replace all those signs, fix the traffic signals and remove debris. We were still dealing with the financial stuff several years later, same with Harvey.

For 9/11, DH and were at a hotel in Phoenix on our way back to Texas from visiting family in California. We were packing to leave and watching the news for local traffic. When the first plan hit, DH said “that doesn’t just happen, they’ll say it was terrorists” and when the 2nd hit, we knew this was something major. It was so strange to see the sky so empty for the remainder of the trip. Eerie.

Homemade chicken soup and a salad tonight.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 12, 2018 03:42PM auntienance wrote:

It's difficult for me to talk about 9/11 to this day and I had no direct connection to the event. It was, for me, the most unthinkable horrifying event of my life followed by the second most horrorific -- helplessly watching the gulf coast and a place I love, New Orleans, drown while our government did nothing. I'm hoping that we've gotten better since then, although Puerto Rico makes me skeptical. Thoughts are with those in Florence's path.

Ham and beans here too Minus, along with cornbread with lots of butter.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2018 08:20PM CeliaC wrote:

On 8/11, my sister, daughter & I were admiring the imposing view of the Towers and NYC skyline from the Staten Island Ferry. On 9/11, a known prankster in our office (Airport Board, operators of CVG Airport) ran in, stating a plane had just hit one of the Twin Towers. I asked if he was pranking us & he said no. We all rushed to the lunch room to watch the TV coverage. Talking to one of our engineers, I remarked the hit tower would not survive & he agreed. Airplane fuel burns much hotter, as we both knew. Then, plane 2 struck the other tower & we both agreed it, too, would crumble. The skies began to empty and aircraft were landing & parking wherever space was available. It was creepy/scary. After the Pentagon was hit, the 4th plane crashed in PA & the towers fell, the office closed & most employees headed for home. Many employees were crying, even though they did not have a "connection" to anyone there. Unbelievably, my daughter's school was not dismissed early. When she saw the TV coverage, it was very impactful since we had been in NYC a month earlier. Eerily quiet at the Airport for 2 days afterward - no aircraft in or out. My cousin, working for NY/NJ Port Authority was one of the people running for their life. I remember visiting the Merrill Lynch office in the towers in the 80s when a good friend worked there. My sister was working in nearby CT & they had several associates who were in the City that day - they all were ok. I hope we never experience another event like 9/11.

Our office was busy today assembling & provisioning staff that could potentially be deployed to assist Airports affected by Florence. We will likely send some of our firefighters who are also either EMTs or Paramedics. plus various maintenance staff.

Eric - Take care of yourself & thanks for your service.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 12, 2018 08:40PM - edited Sep 12, 2018 08:52PM by Redheaded1

Minus---Heidi is Chisandy's cat. I went to two Aldi's today before I found more lamb. They didn't have anymore seasoned ones, but I bought the three that were left but unseasoned. It was only 5.55 per lb. Next week their flyer says they will have spatchcocked lemon rosemary chicken. So I will definitely have to eat out of the freezer so I can get a couple of those.

So I need some suggestions for a rub or a marinade that will withstand the slow cooker. I put these in the freezer (crammed) If I pop one in when I have my eye surgery, I can eat that for three or four days...LOL. Although me doctor told me today lamb is a red meat and I thought this was a good meat option for me....HA. They have the best Naan bread there too. I guess Doctor would approve of the chicken next week...…

Blood pressure was 128, she was delighted. Told me to stop taking it 3 or four times a day and to just take it a couple times a week and if I felt stressed, pop a Xanax. And she would see me in January unless I needed her sooner.

Dx 1/31/2014, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/23/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 4/10/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/9/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/24/2015 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/12/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 12, 2018 09:40PM ChiSandy wrote:

McCormick's Poultry Seasoning was my mom's old standby as a chicken rub, and I still use it. Penzey's also makes a good one--Fox Point; they also have a Poultry Blend, and Sunny Paris for those wanting to stay salt-free.

Dinner tonight was a brisket end from the kosher Meal Mart counter at Jewel (yay--they had chopped liver tonight!). nuked tzimmes, and Jerusalem salad with chickpeas, mixed with tahini & lemon juice. Found a small raisin challah, which we'll have with a Pink Lady apple & honey for a late dessert.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2018 10:03PM - edited Sep 12, 2018 10:05PM by auntienance

I use a lot of Sunny Paris, it's great in eggs. For chicken I like Old Bay garlic and herb as a change from penzeys poultry seasoning. I'll have to try McCormicks.

Dessert was two small scoops of Blackberry Crumble ice cream. DH and I are currently hooked on it.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2018 11:22PM eric95us wrote:

A disaster is always going to have a ragged response....a disaster is when the response needs overwhelm the response capabilities..so we do what we can and always wish we could do more.

Right now we are in the normal waiting mode. We won't know where we are needed until the hospitals report on their conditions and their needs...and that can't happen until after the storm hits.

9/11... So the east coast phone workers could get home, I was one of many people out west that were remotelying and controlling a lot of the long distance and local phone switching centers on the east coast.

We knew keeping the phone system running was important. We never did decide if the government calls or the "I'm OK" calls were the most important.

husband of slawson

Sep 13, 2018 02:07AM Lacey12 wrote:

Thanks for all the personal 9/11 experience sharing. I learned (and probably way beyond my real understanding) about some of the many folks who are critical to communication and infrastructure during such national crises.

Saw the movie, The Wife, tonight with two neighbor friends. Really well done, albeit painful. A good movie for discussion. Then we had dinner at my new favorite neighborhood restaurant that has wonderful salads. Mine included a pounded grilled chicken breast. The salad (their “house”) is chuck full of varied greens, cukes, peppers, pickled onions, tomatoes, beets, etc, etc. and perfectly laced with a garlic/ mint dressing. Nice light dinner,....so I had to indulge in some choc fudge ice cream when I got home!

Sep 13, 2018 12:43PM carolehalston wrote:

Tonight will be hot dogs and chili and sliced tomatoes with stilton blue cheese and basil.

Beans cooked with ham sounds really appetizing. Not to mention cornbread. Aside from baked beans and beans in chili, we haven't had beans all summer.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 13, 2018 01:09PM auntienance wrote:

We hadn't either Carole, but I came across a pkg of navy beans when I was organizing and cleaning out my pantry (some canned goods in there from 2014 yikes!) and thought they sounded good. Besides, they were a good excuse to make cornbread, which I love.

Tonight will be smoked sausage, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes and the remains of the cornbread (2 pieces.) Never as good as fresh but I can't bear to toss it.

Sep 13, 2018 07:16PM illimae wrote:

Tonight was a pan seared tuna steak (unfortunately over cooked) with asparagus and garlic bread.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External: Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External: Brain Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 13, 2018 07:23PM MinusTwo wrote:

I bought a 1.5 lb Jennie-O cryovac pkg of turkey breast tenderloins on sale & plan to bake it tomorrow since I no longer own a grill. Instructions say 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes. A friend told me she heard they were dry if not cooked w/some liquid. Has anyone else cooked one of these? Would there be any point of adding liquid if I bake w/o a cover? Seems it would just evaporate off? Maybe I could just uncover for the last 30 minutes? I'm thinking maybe apple juice since I have a bunch on hand.

Lunch was Stauffer's mac & cheese. Dinner was mixed green salad with lots of cabbage & kale, slivered almonds & shoestring beets added. I used an Asian dressing. I like the Panera "at home" Asian Sesame dressing that's available at some grocery stores.

Sep 13, 2018 10:47PM ChiSandy wrote:

Dinner was the Mexican (Baja) wine dinner at Mas Alla Del Sol. The wines were delicious but insanely expensive, so we didn't order any (I don't think they sold much). The food was excellent.

First course: grilled lobster & octopus, aijillo, pickled red onions, cucumbers, atop a fried green tomato.

Second: Roasted ground-beef-stuffed poblano chile with crema and pomegranate seeds (an homage to the Mexican flag to celebrate its Independence Day).

Third: Rack of lamb (two double chops) over corn mash (like a fresh polenta with kernels), charred tomato, microgreens

Fourth: Carne Asada (skirt steak) in a chile morita sauce, with cannelini beans, queso panela ("bread cheese," sort of like Brun Juusto. which is meant for grilling), avocado

Dessert: pineapple-coconut tres leches cake topped with mint leaves, cherry, and vanilla-mezcal-soaked pineapple.

Burp.

Sep 13, 2018 11:33PM illimae wrote:

Wow Sandy, that dinner sounds great!

Sep 14, 2018 05:35AM M0mmyof2 wrote:

Going to make something light and easy to cook.

Sep 14, 2018 09:34AM carolehalston wrote:

Sandy, how can anyone possibly eat that much food? Must be a bewildering challenge for one's digestive system.

Off topic, I find it ridiculous that all these New York tv people are wandering around in a hurricane aftermath. My dh says you can thank Jim Cantori. The challenge is to find the most horrifying destruction and film it. So far it seems that the preparation for the storm was admirable.

Dinner tonight will be at LaPasta in Dorset with the couples golf group. LaPasta will close in a matter of days as will the Y Steak house and most of the restaurants in the area. The choices for eating out are very limited for those who winter in Hubbard County, MN. I would guess that most of the owners of the eateries head south for the winter to AZ, TX, or FL. AZ seems to be the preferred warm spot for MN folks.

Sep 14, 2018 10:32AM eric95us wrote:

At one hurricane, the road crews had cleaned up about 10 miles of interstate highway and temporarily piled the roadway debris up in a large parking lot .

The news people were all doing their stories with the piled up debris as the background....saying this was how deep the debris was and that the crews had been working it for many hours.

They forgot to mention that this was where they were PUTTING the stuff.

husband of slawson

Sep 14, 2018 12:26PM Lacey12 wrote:

Ah yes, Eric, the power of optics for the viewing public...AKA how TV can manipulate for purpose of drama/ratings.

And speaking of optics, I was struck by the national news coverage of the terrible widespread gas explosions/fires that occurred north of Boston yesterday. There were three towns whose homes/businesses were hard hit by this, (60-80 buildings, and a death and injuries) and the picture I saw was of an old looking multi- family building in Lawrence, a low income community. In fact, the two other nearby high-end towns had many expensive homes destroyed in moments, too. No one is immune to gas company error, which this destructive surge most likely was. All three towns are mostly still evacuated. Not as big asFlorence, but a serious sudden crisis.

Last evening, after our gym workout, we had veggie omelets topped with mozzarella, with a salad, and rosemary bread. Today, I hope to find some nice fish for dinner to go with some huge brussells sprouts I bought at Volantes, and of course our salad. DH just left for the gym, but I’m opting to walk instead.

Carole your current experience with MN restaurants reminds me of what happens at the lake. Immediately after Labor Day (we discovered this the year I retired), several dining spots close up or shorten their days dramatically. Disappointing for year round residents, but understandable from the business aspect.

Sep 14, 2018 03:57PM ChiSandy wrote:

Those MA gas explosions were a shocker, especially since several towns were involved. I'm even more nervous now about those yellow warning flags "buried gas line--hand dig only" along the parkways on our street, and the idiot across the street using a power mower. They're almost done with the digging, so I hope it gets back to normal soon.

I can't eat and drink that much anymore. Should have packed half of every dish except the fish & dessert courses, and not finished each glass of wine (small pours in big glasses still add up. Makes it tough to fall and stay asleep, and was very nervous about reflux. This a.m. I noticed that the only meds I took last night were the Tylenol & Advil. Tums saved my guts!

Tonight will probably be leftovers after the gig. I can't sing on a full stomach, and not just because of performance anxiety (which is more than usual since it's my first time playing a stringed instrument in public since that painful gig in Lafayette, IN just before I fell the second time and broke my scaphoid). A week & a half after surgery, I played only harmonica and sang. At least because we get paid and there is no door charge or tip jar, there's no pressure to bring a crowd. We're competing with Riot Fest and a whole bunch of our friends gigging elsewhere tonight.

Sep 14, 2018 04:36PM M0mmyof2 wrote:

I was shocked too when I saw the news about the explosions. Scary stuff.

Sep 14, 2018 07:28PM eric95us wrote:

I saw the MA explosion news as well. Some of the folks down here are from there, so there was a flurry of phone calls home.

My engineer brain is "thinking" a failed pressure regulator over pressured a big gas line and made it spring leaks.

It's raining in Charlotte, where we are staged. Now that the storm is passing and damage reports start coming in, we will soon be told where to go.

husband of slawson

Sep 14, 2018 09:01PM Lacey12 wrote:

Well, Eric, the day after the many gas explosions, the poop is hitting the fan in terms of accountability. It will be interesting to see how quickly the cause is determined. The gov assigned Eversource to be in charge since the local company (Columbia) seemed unable to manage the immediate emergency tasks. Columbia had just started repair work in the area. Never saw management from them until late today. Jeesh! DH seems convinced that it was human error....I think probably because we had a huge gas fire directly in front of our house twelve years ago due to a Gas Co worker attaching two incompatible pipes (wrong terminology here, I'm sure). Resulted in a "fire geyser" almost two hundred feet tall, evacuation of my neighborhood block for a day, and lots of stress. I was at work when it occurred, DH was in the MGH cardiac unit, and our poor pooch was at home unable to be rescued for many hours. Relatives from California were trying to call us since they saw the monster flame story on CNN. I cannot fathom the distress the people in these towns are going through now....most of whom have evacuated, if they were lucky, before their houses exploded. The most fortunate will still have an intact house when allowed to return.

So when we walked to the grocery store to get some cod for dinner, I noticed a new product I decided to try. A little packet named "Nuts Over Fish", an apt description of contents which were roasted chopped almonds, lt brn sugar, powdered dijon, thyme, rosemary and powdered garlic. I bought it and we had it on our cod fillets. It was a nice topping, but probably would not be favored by folks who like savory and NOT sweet since this had a touch of sweetness to it. We liked it. Sides ended up being the brussells sprouts, salad with addition of an avocado, and farro.

Tomorrow morning we are going to the Seaport area in Boston to a baby shower for the son and DIL of my former officemate. We'll have brunch there, then figure out dinner as the day moves on.

TRIGGER WARNING! Mouse nest picture and report....DH took his car for servicing today and sure enough they found an empty mouse nest on top of the engine, some chewed wires, then a dead mouse in the cabin filter. The service rep called later to say that there might still be a dead mouse within the dash board, but the hope is that it will stop smelling after a while, or else that will need to be taken apart. Yikes! Eric....if you'd like to fly home via Beantown, you could have some "fun" tinkering with this mouse car to free the little carcass! And DH would make you a delicious paella! LOL.

Seriously, I hope your work in NC ends fairly soon, and you get to return to your sunny environs quickly! Our DIL's family lives in the Charlotte area and she reported this AM that so far they were fine. I suppose the coastal areas will suffer the most. Stay safe!

Page 1126 of 1,128 (33,825 results)