Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 04:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 04:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1340 of 4,106 (41,057 results)

Apr 4, 2013 04:47PM auntienance wrote:

Haven't cooked for a few days, so tonight it's pizza, thin crust this time. Dough is currently rising.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 4, 2013 07:51PM - edited Apr 4, 2013 07:55PM by lacey12

Monica, condolences to your family. It is comforting to think of a close couple like that being together again, but still a loss for those left behind. ((((HUGS))))

Nance, I'm curious, do you use a pizza stone when you make it. I haven't been using one, but just saw a good deal on one today so will try that next time I make pizza. Love making pizza!!

Met a friend for lunch and had half a turkey club and a greek salad at a newer sports bar that was unbelievably clean with really great sports memorabilia decor. My friend said that they even positioned a picture of smiling Tom Brady to greet you as you enter the ladies room. LoL I think they had some female help with their decor. On the way home stopped at the store and loaded up on veggies and picked up a pork tenderloin, which DH grilled. Also marinated some asparagus for grilling, rounded out with a sweet potato each, and a kale salad with cranberries and almonds.

For some reason, I am "hit the wall" fatigued tonight. I really hope it is not the Tamox effects again. My day was not really THAT tiring...and I think I slept okay last night...I should not feel like I am going to fall over. Damn! I had made up my mind that I would tough out any SE's this round, and have been wearing hand braces to deal with the joint pain that as resumed. But last night while watching TV and pinning ribbons on a new taggie my left hand totally cramped up and assumed this bizarre intractable position for several minutes. Pretty scary! Hope it never happens when I am driving! But I keep reminding myself that these symptoms are small potatoes.

Hope everyone had a good evening....

Apr 4, 2013 08:03PM auntienance wrote:

Lacey, Sometimes I use a stone, sometimes I don't. They do make for a nice crust.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/21/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/24/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/2/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 4, 2013 10:33PM eric95us wrote:

In between mom's doctor appointments, I worked from home today.  My mom had her new brain stimulator (to stop her hands from shaking) turned on and adjusted. Later, a nurse practitioner checked her INR to see if her Warfarin dose was correct. Right now her INR is low, but it is right where they expected it to be, so all is good there.   I have always been amazed when mom's hands stop their wild gyrations and become almost rock steady. Today was just as amazing.

Dinner was simple; fish, a 'baked in a microwave oven' potato and a salad.  To put on the fish (and the potato) I mixed up some plain yogurt, dill and lemon juice.  I think it took me about 15 minutes to do the whole thing.... I'm sure it's WW approved and it tasted good.

Eric

husband of slawson

Apr 5, 2013 12:14AM 2nd_time_around wrote:

Love this thread! Tired of the "what's for dinner tonite?" feeling. Don't mind cooking, it's thinking of new, easy, nutritious things every night. So I decide on fajitas: made a bit of beef, chicken, and shrimp with sauteed red bell peppers and onions. Sounded yummy to me. Figure hubby and I can choose the fillings. He took 2 bites and then said he wasn't hungry (maybe the chips before dinner didn't help?).  As soon as I finished cleaning up, he had a bowl of cereal. So going to keep it easy for a while. (Leftovers to be frozen for easy dinners after surgery in a couple weeks).  I like the baked potato idea..... Thanks for the suggestion!

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Apr 5, 2013 05:24PM carolehalston wrote:

Leftover pasta with Italian sausage/tomato sauce and a salad.

Tomorrow afternoon a cookout/potluck with dh's workworkers' guild club.  He requested that I make mac and cheese for our dish.  I looked up a simple recipe on Cooking Light that calls for making a bechamel sauce and adding shredded cheese, then combine the sauce with the cooked macaroni and bake for about 35 min.  I bought some good cheddar (Tillamook) to shred and have fontina for the 2nd cheese.  The meats will be chicken and sausage cooked on a grill.

I played a good (for me) round of golf this morning and had lunch with a couple of the women.  A hamburger and sweet potato fries.  Every now and then, I really get hungry for a good hamburger and this one hit the spot.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2013 05:41PM auntienance wrote:

Feeling like spring here for a change. To celebrate I'm grilling country style ribs basted with huli huli sauce (pineapple and lime juice based bbq sauce), potato salad and the first corn on the cob of the season. Ahhhh, spring!

Apr 5, 2013 07:24PM Kay_G wrote:

It was spring like here today too. I think it almost got to 70. 2nd time around, I know how you feel. Went over my sister's after work today, my niece was going to the junior prom. Once all the dates left, my DD asked what was for dinner and proceeded to tell my sister that i don't make anything she likes for dinner, all I make is veggie chilli and microwaveable beans. I don't even know what she's talking about with the microwaveable beans. Not sure what would please her, she doesn't eat redmeat (says it gives her a stomach ache), doesn't eat much fish, eats almost no veggies and complains she gets tired of chicken. What else is there?

Well that is a pie crust promise, easily made, easily broken. Mary Poppins

Apr 5, 2013 07:36PM SeasideMemories wrote:

2nd time,

Welcome! I think you'll like this thread a lot! Great bunch of ladies here...

Yum on Fajitas but hate it when i cook and either no one is here to eat it (I have a 23 yo and a 20 yo so never sure what their plans are) or no one is liking what I made.... Soooooo frustrating!

Dx 5/8/2009, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 5, 2013 08:01PM 2nd_time_around wrote:

Thanks ladies! Can talk food any time of the day or night!

Kay_G: my daughter gave up red meat since Thanksgiving 2008 - and she's stuck to it! She used to complain about the lack of variety and grew tired of chicken until... she moved out on her own! Now almost anything meatless and homemade works for her. My newest thing is soups (more like Rachael Ray stoups).. so many options on Pinterest.  

Seaside Memories: hear you on that issue. Was single until 37, no one to complain about meals! Same when the kids were little: if their activity wasn't on the calendar, counted on them being home for meals.  When this didn't work - they weren't home for meals - started cooking just for me and the hubby... too bad on them if there wasn't enough for them (there's always food in my house even tho they complained there wasnt'). Worked for a while. 

Tonight was steak sandwiches (cube steaks, breaded, pan fried) - my red-meat limit for the week has been reached.

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Page 1340 of 4,106 (41,057 results)

Scroll to top button