Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1342 of 4,242 (42,413 results)

Apr 6, 2013 06:16PM Kay_G wrote:

Bedo! So happy to hear from you, and thanks for the encouragement about the food too! Does the wise cracker teenage thing ever stop? I don't know if I ago ing to survive it.

Moon, I am very sorry about your FIL. Sorry you had the scare too, but so happy for you that all is well.

Bought some ahi tuna steaks at Costco today, will be grilling them for dinner. Hope they come out.

Well that is a pie crust promise, easily made, easily broken. Mary Poppins

Apr 6, 2013 10:01PM lacey12 wrote:

Welcome 2nd!

Ditto on how nice it is to hear from you, Bedo!

Kay, sounds like you are in the suffering stages of adolescent daughterdom. Do stick it out (like you have much of a choice...LOL;) as all of my friends who went through that rough stage have wonderful adult relationships with their grown daughters....just takes time for the daughters to realize they don't have to "annihilate" mom to establish their own secure identity. At that later point they can acknowledge how wonderful you are, and how much they want/need you in their lives. (((((HUGS))))) to help you navigate through it! Boys can be much easier during that phase, but we mothers of only boys don't get that "pot of daughter gold" later. You can! Something to look forward to....:)

Attended a baby shower of a friend's daughter today...totally delicious vegetarian sandwiches and spanikopita, (her wedding had also been totally vegetarian much to her carnivore mom's distress)... and wonderful desserts, of which I totally partook ( a wonderul lemon mousse, rughala cookies, iced rolled cookies, and to top it off a red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing. Needless to say I took a long walk after the shower luncheon. But enjoy the desserts, I did! :) And if there had been cheesecake, I bet I would have tried a small piece of that too! Hope you totally enjoyed yours Monica.

I could have skipped dinner easily, but DH was hoping for fish so I picked up some salmon and we had that, baked, along with steamed broccoli, a shared microwaved sweet potato and cuke salad.

Carrie, we're perched in front of the TV watching your team. Good luck to 'cuse'! Enjoy the party and the game!! Glad your allergy is better with the Allegra.

Big conflict tomorrow evening.....as far as we can tell, the ND women are playing UCONN at the same time Mad Men is starting their new season. Hmmm, which one gets taped....probably Mad Men. Go Irish! :)

Am back on Tamoxifen and having some very strange debilitating hand symptoms. Trying hard to suck it up along with crappy sleep and the renewed fatigue. Oy! I think I can...I think I can...I think I can....:)

Apr 7, 2013 09:36AM carolehalston wrote:

Bedo, it's good to hear from you.  I've missed you. 

Lacey, I indulged in dessert yesterday, too, at the barbecue cookout.  A couple of women had made brownies and they were moist and delicious.  Plus there was a frozen pie with whipped cream and chocolate that tasted good.

I cooked a Boston butt roast in the slow cooker overnight and have sweet potatoes in the oven for a noon meal at my mother's house today.  She and I are looking after my niece's two older children (7 and 9) today.  Their mom was in a psychiatric hospital for two weeks.  Out a week.  And is back in another psychiatric hospital now.  This one is near my home.  I'm so hoping somebody will come up with a medley of drugs that will allow her to function on a near-normal level.  She also has a darling 3-yr-old daughter with a different father.  I believe he is taking care of her.

The 9 yr. old boy has a project to turn in tomorrow and I'm supposed to help him with that.  I, who chose not to have kids!  I wish all the women who aren't suited to be mothers would make my same decision.  OK.  I vented.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 7, 2013 10:23AM - edited Apr 7, 2013 10:37AM by bedo

Kay, I have two words for you.  Exchange Student.  I sent mine to Belgium.

She acted like it was a miracle I found my way to work each day, because I was so dumb.

but, it's amazing how much smarter you will become as she grows up! We're hanging out today

For Breakfast cold India Restaurant left overs. I wish I had a recipe for vegetable paneer  with chick peas or channa curry with indian farmer cheese and veggie samosas.  This is becoming expensive.

Apr 7, 2013 10:45AM deborye wrote:

So sorry for your loss, Moon♥

~~~Deb~~~NEVER GIVE UP/NEVER SURRENDER**IDC 6mm & DCIS 7mm

Apr 7, 2013 11:43AM lacey12 wrote:

Carole, I feel for your family as you all cope with your niece's struggle. I also hope she can get her meds regulated (and parenting support) for a favorable outcome to be able to care for herself and her children. They are fortunate to have a devoted family "net" in you. As a social worker who worked with children and families in schools for many years, I always appreciated the extended family "angels" who supported these kids, who through no fault of their own lived with parental mental illness that left them frightened and uncertain. Helping that 9 year old get his report done is huge(!), so he can at least feel successful at school during this latest crisis. Then you can go home and enjoy that such tasks are not frequent! ;) You are a wise woman who obviously made thoughtful life decisions. I hope today goes well and feels satisfying for you.

Carrie, sorry about Syracuse's loss. That must have been hard to watch at the end.
Will JB stay in that coach job forever?

My basketball interest has shifted to the women's final four.

Tomorrow I go for a Strength and Movement eval at the Cancer Center. I feel fine about my walking regimen for exercise, and am hoping that I can get some help with these wretched hands, and whatever else they discover is not strong or moving well!

Having shrimp for dinner tonight.

Have a good day everyone.

Apr 7, 2013 12:20PM auntienance wrote:

Feeling spring-y this morning so made a Maine pancake with macerated strawberries and blueberries.  Boy, that was good.  

Thinking today is potato planting day. I think the beds are dry enough. My beloved Cardinals are playing this afternoon so I have to get it done before then.

Tonight's dinner will be tenderloin tips in a mushroom cream sauce with papperdelle and roasted snap peas.

I hope the day is as beautiful where you are as it is here (finally!)

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 7, 2013 12:34PM 2nd_time_around wrote:

Lacey... Thanks for the welcome!

Nancy... Reading your post, tummy is growling. Just finished breakfast, dd's choice of orange creamsicle smoothie & (premaid) blueberry muffins, easy Sunday. What are Maine pancakes? Your dinner sounds yummy! How do roast snap peas? Am hooked on roasted beets (they're in the oven now).

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Apr 7, 2013 12:56PM auntienance wrote:

2nd, it's kind of a cross between a Popover and a pancake. I think it's also called a Dutch baby. Anyway, it's a thin batter cooked in a cast iron skillet in a hot oven. It puffs up and gets brown and is very light and tender. Really pretty sprinkled with powdered sugar and fresh fruit.

I've never roasted snap peas before. I've just read about it. It calls for tossing then in olive oil then broiling them just until they get brown spots. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 7, 2013 01:03PM 2nd_time_around wrote:

Thanks Nancy... I looked it on Pinterest. I've made Dutch baby pancakes before. Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I'll make them next time dd comes home for a visit. Please let me know about roasted snap peas. Just got into roasting veggies. Have always hated Brussel sprouts but love them roasted!

**AKA 2TA ** Any day I wake up, it's a good day. ~ ~ "You don't know strength until strength is the only choice you have." (Author unknown)..... Yes, this is my 2nd occurrence, not recurrence; 1st in 1996, 2nd in 2012, bilateral recon in 2012

Page 1342 of 4,242 (42,413 results)

Scroll to top button