Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 4125 of 4,151 (41,508 results)

Jun 26, 2022 12:32AM wallycat wrote:

Elderberry, I live in Port Townsend. We are having another "heat dome" experience, except the high pressure is further south, so no 100s ...yet.

I only recently developed a taste for gin. I'm usually a wine gal, but with spirits, single malt, rum and brandy/cognac are my go-to. Bourbon is an "i'm not sure"...sometimes yes, sometimes no (must be the wild turkey fiasco when I broke up with my first long term boyfriend in my 20s--I'll spare you). I've only had tequila a few times so I am not sure how attached I am to it, LOL.

Minus, so happy the electric skillet worked out.

Special, your salads sound wonderful. I'd have to sub the almonds (allergies); off to copy/paste your ideas.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jun 26, 2022 02:22PM - edited Jun 26, 2022 02:24PM by divinemrsm

Interesting reading about the crazy food combos posted here! I'm usually willing to try a bite of something new. I always told ds any time he tried a taste of food and didn't like it, he was allowed to spit it out in the trash can. That way he'd be more willing to try new foods. These days seems he's always introducing dh and I to different things we never ate before.

When dh was young, his dad shoved tomatoes in his mouth to get him to eat them so of course dh hated them. After growing tomatoes in the garden for me for many years, he gradually started to like them.

I don't like tuna steak and never cared for salmon. But I like tuna salad and tuna melts.

One thing that makes a tuna melt is the bread that's used. I love something with a crusty buttery brown crunch. A restaurant called First Watch serves a roast beef and havarti cheese sandwich on the most heavenly grilled Parmesan-crusted sourdough bread. Oh my. Most excellent! Melts in your mouth. Mmm mmm!

I'm part Italian through my mother who was a great cook. I never eat out at Italian restaurants. I was recently talking to a woman who also has Italian roots who said she never eats out at them, either.

Elderberry, I am envious of your being "good with the loaves and fishes", able to toss things together to make a tasty meal.

Illimae, I took a screenshot of your creamy Brussel sprouts recipe and plan to make it some day. Speaking of recipes and hearing another mention of Laura's salsa chicken, if someone would share the recipe, I'd love to try that, too.

found lump 12-22-10—ilc—er+/pr+/her2—stage iv bone mets—chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex—March 2019-ibrance/aromasin* —Sept 2019-verzenio* —March 2020-xeloda*

Jun 26, 2022 11:27PM minustwo wrote:

Here you go Devine: SALSA CHICKEN

2-4 chicken breasts- put them in a Pyrex dish and dump a jar of your
favorite salsa over it. Open a can of black beans and drain- dump that
over it too. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. (it works like a
fast slow cooker and makes a sauce out of the black beans and salsa, the
chicken just shreds apart.)

Make some brown rice and 2 minutes before you are ready to eat uncover
the chicken and top with cheddar cheese, or mexican blend, what ever is
handy, We eat it using the salsa mixture on the rice as a type of sauce
and a spoonful of sour cream on the chicken.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 27, 2022 02:12AM chisandy wrote:

I'm not a gin fan either (also not into vodka). But I do like juniper berries in my choucroute, and the couple of times I had Dutch genever liqueur (in Amsterdam and on a Viking river cruise ) I really enjoyed it.

Last night we went out with the kids for belated Father's Day and advance 51st anniv. to the Palm (much better than I'd expected). My last visit there was in 2019, shortly after the Landry Group takeover--and remodel (from a clubby old-school NY-style Italian steakhouse to, as some described it, airport sports bar). The bar, which had been against the window-wall, was enlarged to an oval with sports TV screens. The divider partition between the bar and dining room was removed, along with the trademark caricature walls and tall wooden booths--plus the expert career wait staff. So I was pleasantly surprised to find a new post-lockdown main dining room with fewer, newer local-oriented caricatures of live people. (You got a caricature either by being a celebrity who was also a loyal customer, or someone egotistical enough to trade their frequent-diner points for their picture on the wall instead of free meals & discounts).

The menu has been tweaked since then. We split a seafood tower: oysters, clams, king crab legs, jumbo shrimp, lump crabmeat, a large lobster tail and "Sicilian poke" (which had olives, capers and for some weird reason golden raisins). I also had some of Bob's "Gigi" salad (he ate the avocado, shrimp & egg). For our entree we split a porterhouse, because he likes filet mignon and I don't mind strip steak if I don't get my first choice of ribeye. Sides were hashbrowns (I demurred), creamed spinach and sauteed broccoli rabe (aka rapini). Ate too much to even contemplate looking at the dessert menu. Tonight we split the leftovers: a shrimp each, the poke in lettuce cups, the steak, and the green veggies (again, I left the spuds to Bob). Tomorrow night I'll grill the duck breast and have the rest of the leftover rapini, with maybe some tomatoes--it's his late night at the office.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jun 27, 2022 09:02AM carolehalston wrote:

Last night I made our usual romaine salad on dinner plates and topped with strips of crispy chicken. I coated thin chicken breast fillets with panko crumbs and cooked in a skillet.

DH ordered a pizza stone. We will try cooking pizza on the grill.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jun 27, 2022 12:01PM - edited Jun 27, 2022 12:01PM by wallycat

Had to google Gigi salad. Yum.

Carole, is it a stainless "stone" or tile? Let us know how it works. That is a great idea.

I'm in meltdown mode...PTSD for a simple meet/greet with doc for colonoscopy...not even the procedure yet. Leaving in about an hour. I hate that my body does this. Rant.

Leftover copper river last night.

Tonight will be whatever I pull out of the freezer-pre-made meal. Should be our last hot day. Hopefully no more 79-80ish for the year; a gal can dream.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jun 27, 2022 01:07PM eric95us wrote:

We just got the internet service established!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I can use something other than the "painfully" slow to use "smart" phone.

husband of slawson

Jun 27, 2022 02:05PM kotchaj wrote:

Hi everyone,

Tonight for dinner is a summer favorite in my house. We call it pasta zucchini basil. Here's the recipe below. We usually add more cheese than is listed, because...cheese.

Ingredients

Makes 8 servings

• 3-4 medium zucchini and or yellow summer squash, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
  • 1 pound pasta, use your favorite cut
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • Lemon juice, for serving (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup grated parmesan or manchego cheese
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
Start your pasta first, cook your zucchini in the olive oil with the garlic. I add the basil in when the zucchini has softened. Mix everything together and top with the fresh tyme. Yummy.
Chemotherapy 6/7/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 6/15/2021 Verzenio Chemotherapy 8/31/2021 Other Radiation Therapy 2/9/2022 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Left breast, Lymph nodes Dx IDC: Mucinous/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 20/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Modified Radical

Jun 27, 2022 02:09PM minustwo wrote:

kotchaj - The zucchini looks good. Thanks for sharing,.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jun 27, 2022 05:06PM elderberry wrote:

wallycat: you are in my neck of the woods. I thought you might be in Alaska. My friends in Seattle was saying it was getting too hot. We are only about 4 - 6 degrees cooler than you guys, normally, and I have managed to keep the house cool by letting air in late at night, then closing everything up during the days and leaving fans running. If we get another Heat Dome I won't even do that. We West Coasters as whimps when it comes to extremes.

kotchaj: someone I knew once said "You can have too much cheese" You can? Really? How much is too much? Your pasta zucchini would be good cold too. I like making cold pasta salads with tomatoes, cukes, peppers, artichokes, black olives, fresh herbs.

The Salsa Chicken sounds great. However, in an Instant Pot you have to have a least one cup of liquid. You could put the breasts on the trivet that comes with the pot and have the meat above the liquid.

CaroleHalston: I keep a pizza stone on the bottom shelf of my oven. It is there all the time. I just shift it to the middle rack when I do pizzas. I let the oven reach it optimum heat but wait another 15 or so minutes so the stone is good and hot. For Wallycat: mine is baked clay of some sort. Not metal.

De Novo - this isn't a "brave battle" - it is a "furious struggle" Dx 3/6/2019, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, HER2+ Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Page 4125 of 4,151 (41,508 results)

Scroll to top button