Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 4129 of 4,174 (41,732 results)

Jul 2, 2022 01:04PM goldie0827 wrote:

Oh Carole, I'm sorry to hear that, but glad that it doesn't sound too bad and hopefully if you do get it, it's mild. Hoping you don't! My brother has it right now along with pneumonia and feels like he's been run over by a truck.

Dinner for me was a simple beef stroganoff over some potatoes, just made with burger. I told ya's, I'm a simple cook!

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP! Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2014, ILC, Right, Stage IV, 2/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 2, 2022 02:17PM eric95us wrote:

Carole, I hope DH's COVID is one of the "weaker" variants.

My vaccinations are listed on the CDC/USPHS "yellow cards". I need four cards as each card only holds a couple of dozen shots. Whenever I see a different doctor, I bring the records. It's interesting watching the doctors' reactions as they look down the list. :-)

We drove up last night from Phoenix, so dinner was a bag of chips and ice cream bar. One of the boxes in the trailer is labeled "Aebleskiver pan". I will have to get some buttermilk as the verbal recipe I was given included buttermilk. One of Sharon's cousins is at their summer cabin about 45 minutes drive from here and we are going over there tonight for a birthday/early 4th celebration.

My grandparents (and parents) would boil the shucked ears of corn for a couple of minutes. I've always done the same. I'll have to try the microwave oven method as it does take some time get get the water boiling.

I haven't read Prairie Fires. I'll have to put that on the list as I like that kind of reading. Since I grew up in the desert, I have a huge collection of books relating to the pioneers that lived in the Mojave Desert. The stories of the pioneers are fascinating to me.

husband of slawson

Jul 2, 2022 03:59PM wallycat wrote:

Carole, I hope you don't get it (some people do not, even if exposed) and your DH improves. Be aware that taking Plaxovid can cause a rebound with symptoms; thankfully rarely hospitalization. Fauci just got covid too. It certainly ain't over.

Eric, the best part of doing the corn this way is that the silk pulls away with the husks and you're not killing yourself to remove all the fine strands. Sure, a few get by, but nothing like shucking before cooking.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jul 3, 2022 12:48AM minustwo wrote:

Wally - I usually shuck my corn in the grocery store in the big barrels they have beside the displays. That way it's really easy to use the wax paper method. My mother also did boiling water Eric, but it's nice not to fool with it.

Oh Carole - I am so sorry about your DH. I agree with Wally - watch for a rebound. Hopefully it will be like my son's case - sore throat, nasal drip, dry mouth, cough, fatigue. His only complaint - it's still going on after 2-3 weeks. His wife didn't get it - so you may be lucky.

Eric - I can just imaging your vaccination cards with all the volunteer emergency work you did all over.

Goldie - how long are you on antibiotics? Hopefully there are no residual problems from the staple removal. I think you said you'll be in PHX most of next week? Of maybe it was last week??? My brain is slipping.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 3, 2022 09:31AM carolehalston wrote:

So far dh's symptoms are the same as your son's, Minus. He isn't terribly ill. I have the dry mouth and take the 8 hr. Tylenol some days for a sinus headache. I have allergy symptoms to some degree year round despite taking o/c meds. Before the allergy meds came on the market, I suffered a lot from sneezing and head congestion.

Apparently the potluck dinner yesterday was beyond ample. We were brought dinner plates with pulled pork on small buns, baked beans, potato salad, cheesy potatoes and more. All the popular hot dishes and carbs beloved by Minnesotans. Everything was tasty and I appreciated being remembered. And not having to cook.

Dh still has an appetite. So the question looms. What's for dinner tonight?

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 3, 2022 09:55AM wallycat wrote:

Minus, I remember the barrels in WI. None here. They expect you to make the mess in your own home out here, LOL.

Carole, Glad symptoms are minimal.

I'm using the leftover wine reduction and putting tofu in it, over rice for tonight. The lamb was exquisite. Love that stuff!

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jul 3, 2022 10:33AM goldie0827 wrote:

Minus, no anti-b's. I got staples out this past Tuesday. Tomorrow I head to Phoenix, Tuesday I have an ECHO and then treatment. Thursday is follow up with surgeon. Home after that and then I have to be back in Phoenix the following Tuesday for a consult with urologist on my kidney. Most likely some more surgery for that, I believe a stint.

Carole, very nice of the neighbors to bring you and DH dinner. I'm sure they missed having you there. Hoping things stay minimal.

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP! Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2014, ILC, Right, Stage IV, 2/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 3, 2022 12:33PM minustwo wrote:

Goldie - so glad you didn't end up with an infection from the staples. Wow - you have a long week ahead. And I'm sure your temperatures are over 100. Safe travels... Ugh about the possible kidney issues.

I have asparagus I MUST use of lose. Also a friend picked up the bag of spinach for me that I forgot to buy on Thursday so I'll put together the cauliflower salad this afternoon. And I have squash for the zucchini pasta. Way too much food for one. And on that same vein...chuckle for the day. I think I mentioned I bought a watermelon last week It's cut in chunks and in the fridge. I couldn't possibly finish it all in a week so I've been looking for someone to share. Yesterday two different friends showed up with bowls of cut watermelon that they wanted to give me. An abundance of riches...

Wally - I imagine they expect you to put the husks & silks in your compost pile!!!

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 3, 2022 12:37PM wallycat wrote:

My bad; I didn't think to compost them.

Goldie, sending good thoughts that your schedule will go seamlessly.

Jul 3, 2022 12:53PM eric95us wrote:

That *is* a lot of driving Goldie. I, too, hope the schedule stays on schedule.

husband of slawson

Page 4129 of 4,174 (41,732 results)

Scroll to top button