Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Posted on: Feb 1, 2011 06:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 4130 of 4,155 (41,542 results)

Jul 3, 2022 02:31PM goldie0827 wrote:

Eric, it IS alot of driving, but then again, I don't want to stay down there for 9 days either!

Wally, thank you.

Minus2, it is hot, but I don't think we've hit triple digits, close tho!

AKA - Sugar Lusty Heat! Hair pictures on my profile. DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ANYBODY, UNLESS YOU'RE PICKING THEM UP! Dx 3/27/2008, DCIS, Right, 5cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 2/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2014, ILC, Right, Stage IV, 2/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 3, 2022 06:09PM auntienance wrote:

Greetings all -

So sorry about your DH Carole - I do hope you manage to escape COVID's clutches. I was certain that DH's recent bout with bronchitis followed by a terrible cold and horrendous cough was COVID but he tested negative twice. Miraculously I avoided all of it, so miracles do happen. How frustrating it is to be so vaccinated and still vulnerable. I want it to end.

Food has been happening - most recently chicken Pomodoro, sausage with rigatoni and grilled pork burgers. Tomorrow I'm making huli huli chicken wings with potato salad andsome a watermelon cucumber salad that I made for the first time. It's pretty simple - watermelon cubes, thinly sliced cucumber and red onion dressed with olive oil and wine vinegar with some crumbled feta added. The sweet/tart/salty combo is pretty tasty and quite refreshing.

It's just the two of us tomorrow. We were supposed to go to my niece's house tomorrow morning for a continental type breakfast followed by a 4th of July parade then back to her house for a grilled brat/burger lunch and fun and games but it's going to be near 100° tomorrow -- too hot for me to be frolicking in the sun so we bailed. We can see our local fireworks display from our front yard so that's pretty easy.

I use Wally's corn on the cob method. I despise trying to remove silk from ears of corn. Its at the top of the most annoying things list. The only thing you have to be sure of with this method is cutting the bottom far enough so that the husks slip off easily. (An ove glove is valuable for holding the hot ear and slipping it out of it's husk.) Minus - one of our local stores has a "corn barrel" too during the height of corn season. Corn is late here this year because of the cold wet spring. I have not had a really good ear yet.

Minus - are the rosemary crackers from Trader Joe's or HEB? I got some at HEB (rosemary and olive and rosemary and currant) when I was in Texas and I AM ADDICTED. I bought several boxes home. Trader Joe's version are pretty good too.

Carole - you always make turnips sound so good! I'd like to taste yours sometime. They have never appealed to me probably because of how they were cooked.

We've cooked pizza on a stone on the grill a number of times. I like how the crust turns out but it's a bit more trouble because depending on what you like on it, you have to pre- cook the toppings. Mine never seem to brown much on top. It's nice not to have to heat the oven though.

Grilled hamburgers and (toaster) oven fries here tonight. Pretty simple.

Healing thoughts going out to goldie and all who need them!

Happy Independence Day!

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 3, 2022 06:13PM auntienance wrote:

Oh - we never ever had tuna in our house as a kid so I never ate it until I was an adult. It's always just tuna. Adding "fish" seems redundant.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 3, 2022 09:13PM minustwo wrote:

Nance - rosemary crackers are from HEB. I'd be happy to send you several boxes if you can't find a good equivalent. I may have to try your watermelon/cucumber dish.

Oh WALLY - my goodness I don't know when I last immediately fell in love with a recipe like I have your cauliflower salad. Yes, I did nuke the cauliflower a bit. I subbed spinach for lettuce and Provolone for Parm. I also replaced some of the mayo with sour cream. But.... After I finished stirring everything together - I had to lick the spoon of course. OH MY. Absolutely delicious. It was very hard to discipline myself to put the dish in the fridge to 'meld' overnight. If it's any better tomorrow, I'll be in heaven. Luckily on only made 1/2 of your recipe since it makes a LOT.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 3, 2022 11:47PM - edited Jul 4, 2022 12:28AM by wallycat

Auntienance, we never had tuna or peanut butter or ketchup when I was a kid.

Minus, did you add the bacon? I'm so happy you enjoyed it. As I mentioned, my previous neighbor from WI gave me that recipe along with a Southwestern Bean salad. That bean salad is so easy and I was instantly smitten with it...must have eaten poundage of it.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jul 4, 2022 12:31AM minustwo wrote:

Funny - my brother would only take peanut butter sandwiches in his lunch box. I would only take tuna fish. But my Mother never had mayo in her house - so it was canned tuna w/oil drained & spread on bread & butter. And of course there was no refrigeration - so my lunch box sat in the "cloak room" all morning. Oh well - I didn't die from that. Nor from roller skating on sidewalks with cracks. Nor from riding my bike with no helmet. Nor from riding in the open back of a pick up truck.

Dessert was just a sour cream angel food cake - purchased from Kroger as a weekly special. It's pretty good.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jul 4, 2022 08:28AM aussie12 wrote:

Hi all

Happy 4th of July to you all.

I had soup and curry again the last few days. I ate out last week just at a coffee shop and had yummy potato wedges with sour cream and chilli sauce. Just been staying at home and having chicken and vegies mostly as I don't eat much meat anymore.

Goldie I have a kidney problem as well called hydronephrosis which is swelling of the kidney. I had a PET scan last Friday and will find out next week what my Oncologist decides to do. Maybe a stent like you.

I haven't had Covid-19 yet. The state government has so many RAT's they are giving them away. I got 3 boxes on Friday at a shopping centre, I told the man giving them away that I go to the hospital all the time for chemo and sometimes forget to get one while there. I have 60 now !!! everyone else was walking around with 2 boxes !!!

I'm watching Masterchef now again and they are cooking with truffles, never tried them.

Dx 2/2/2012, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/16/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Hormonal Therapy 5/13/2012 Surgery 3/7/2013 Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander

Jul 4, 2022 09:28AM carolehalston wrote:

Dinner last night was a version of salsa chicken cooked in the small slow cooker. Two bone in skin on chicken thighs with half a small jar of salsa. Brown rice on the side. A delicious guacamole made with two small ripe avocados, roughly diced, chopped tomato, lemon juice, hot sauce, and mayo. We spooned the thin "gravy" on the rice and dh put extra salsa on his.

Nance, the "salad turnips" are white and small, not as big as a tennis ball. And they are sweet with just a slight turnip flavor. This is my first time to see them.

DH and I tested ourselves again yesterday and I was still negative. He was still positive. He still has minor symptoms, mainly coughing. So far, so good.

Lacey, time for you to check in! Same message to Moon!

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2022 11:11AM - edited Jul 4, 2022 11:12AM by wallycat

Carole, those turnips sound like the Japanese Hinoki turnips. I love them!!

Happy 4th of July.

Dx 4/07 1 month before turning 50; ILC 1.8cm, ER+/PR+, HER2 neg., Stage 1, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes. Onco score 20, Bilateral Mast., tamoxifen 3-1/2 years, arimidex-completed 4/20/2012

Jul 4, 2022 05:38PM minustwo wrote:

Wally - I decided I like the cauliflower salad better a little warm, so I took some out of the fridge to sit a bit before eating. I shared with a neighbor and she likes it "ice cold".

Page 4130 of 4,155 (41,542 results)

Scroll to top button