Topic: So...whats for dinner?

Forum: Life After Breast Cancer — Managing life after a breast cancer diagnosis, including rediscovering intimacy, coping with fear of recurrence, reconnecting relationships, sharing hobbies and interests, and finding inspiration in daily life.

Posted on: Feb 2, 2011 12:28PM

Posted on: Feb 2, 2011 12:28PM

Laurie08 wrote:

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what we are having, making or had for dinner.  Sometimes it is the best tuna steak you ever had, sometimes it's a can of soup.  But we all do it every night in some form or another.  Maybe we can give each other ideas on what to make, or bitch about what we had, or the fact that we did enjoy that grilled cheese with tomato soup. 

Every night my husband comes home and says "whats for dinner?"  no matter what I say he always says "sounds good!"  even if I say it's a 'fend for yourself night'. :)

Bilateral Mastectomy on 6/30/10 Exchange surgery 1/10/11 Dx 4/22/2010, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 4203 of 4,206 (42,056 results)

Nov 24, 2022 05:55AM specialk wrote:

minus - thanks! Me too! Even though this was not found to be systemic I was shocked at how sick I felt yesterday and how much better I feel today. The good news is that I don't have a ton of chopping to do and DH will lift the turkey into and out of the oven. I was very happy with the ER, they were indeed thorough and took the breast cancer history and lymphedema seriously. The doc was a young woman, I liked her very much. Her DH is a former Navy seal, so we had a nice chat about military stuff too. I found all of their personnel to be friendly and helpful - helped make a bad thing into a very tolerable experience. I was asked about who my primary care doc was, and had to confess that I don't currently have one. The base cut me loose once I was on Medicare, and trying to find someone locally has been a challenge - many here are not taking new patients. I have a new patient consult for the one my MO recommended but it is not until Oct 2023! The ER doc went the extra mile by making two recommendations and taking the time to look up and note their phone numbers on my release paperwork.

BMX w/ TE 11/1/10, ALND 12/6/10. 16 additional surgeries. TCHx6 2/17-6/2/11. Herceptin until 1/19/12. Femara 8/1/11, Arimidex 6/20/12, back to Femara 2013-2018. Dx 9/27/2010, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+, IHC

Nov 24, 2022 06:24AM auntienance wrote:

Special - I'm astonished at all the things you manage to do for others while being ill yourself. I hope someone is taking care of you! I've had cellulitis and it's no fun. Mine took forever and multiple rounds of antibiotics to go away. I hope yours does not.

I've been busy too. A couple of days ago I made and froze six dozen butter rolls and cranberry chutney. As usual, we'll go to DH's sister's home tomorrow and have a smaller dinner for ourselves and the kids on Saturday. My contribution to tomorrow's dinner will be three dozen of the dinner rolls and an autumn succotash. This version of succotash includes red bell pepper, zucchini, summer squash and fresh sage in addition to the standard corn and baby limas. It's an attractive and tasty dish. Yesterday I made a small carrot cake and froze it. The cake will join a 6" pecan and 8" pumpkin pie for dessert on Saturday. The pecan pie was bought at a local bakery but I will make the pumpkin. Other Saturday sides will be garlic mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts with dried cranberries and toasted pine nuts, more succotash and dressing. Several years ago I turned the dressing over to my DDIL. It's my least favorite part of the meal and the most annoying and time consuming to make - all that chopping. The twelve pound turkey will be spatchcocked and dry brined tomorrow after we get home. I'll do most of the prep work Friday to make my small kitchen less stress inducing on Saturday.

Wally - pickled pork is quite easy to make yourself and I almost always keep some in the freezer for greens. My family's favorite was collard greens but I think I prefer turnip greens or a mixture of mustard, collard and turnip. I like them all but haven't yet managed to replicate my great grandmother's greens. I bet Carole has.

Beautiful pic Mae. They always make me hungry.

Carole - looking forward to a report on the nephew's meal.

Eric - I'm happy for you that your MIL is now moved and the house is on the market. That will surely make life a little easier.

Hope everyone has a wonderful thanksgiving with all that you enjoy!

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 24, 2022 08:59AM eric95us wrote:

Special...Glad you got in quickly to get it taken care of before it got even worse. I, too, have found the stand alone ED places to be far less crowded than the in-hospital ED.

Let someone else do the work tomorrow!

husband of slawson

Nov 24, 2022 10:58AM auntienance wrote:

I went to one of those ERs when I was in Texas in April. I was very impressed with them too with no waiting.

Tonight's offering is air fried chicken wings with a honey mustard glaze, twice baked potato casserole and broccoli with lemon garlic butter.

Nancy: Oncotype score 26 Dx 6/9/2011, DCIS/IDC: Tubular/IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/22/2011 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 7/25/2011 Internal/Brachytherapy: Balloon applicator catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 10/3/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/11/2012 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 24, 2022 03:16PM eric95us wrote:

I'm making Special's sweet potato recipe. I didn't cut the 4 pound sweet potato and it's taking forever to bake. :-)

husband of slawson

Nov 24, 2022 05:06PM minustwo wrote:

Seems strange not to be cooking.

I'm meeting my ex-DH and his wife at Eddie V's. Our nephew and his 7 year old daughter will join us (wife has to work). Korean Brussels Sprouts. Crab Fried Rice. Maine Lobster bisque. Jumbo crab cakes. And that's before we discuss the entree. I'll probably go with the Georges Banks Scallops. And then - Bananas Foster Butter cake or Meyer Lemon Tarte or Hot Chocolate Godiva cake. Pounds ahead for sure.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 25, 2022 03:40AM carolehalston wrote:

When nephew lived in Chicago, we always had Portillo’s for dinner the night before Thanksgiving. There is no nearby Portillo’s here in FL. So they ordered from Portillo’s and I had my much-liked Italian beef with hot and sweet peppers and dh had his favorite hot dogs. Nephew and his wife always make us feel welcome

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 25, 2022 09:31AM - edited Nov 25, 2022 09:32AM by auntienance

Happy thanksgiving!

Nov 25, 2022 11:11AM eric95us wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating. I hope no one has a "food coma". :-)

husband of slawson

Nov 25, 2022 02:32PM eric95us wrote:

Thank you, Special, for posting the chipolte-sweet potato recipe.

husband of slawson

Page 4203 of 4,206 (42,056 results)

Scroll to top button