Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TIME TO CIRCLE THE WAGONS GIRLS

Comments

• newter
    newter Member Posts: 2,670
    edited May 2007

Should I be freaked out about the celluitis? My kids are still getting ear infections and they are 6 and almost 8. Is it common in kids?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited May 2007
    Cellulitis needs to be treated with an antibiotic. If it isnt treated you can become septic like Shel said. Thats where the infection goes into your blood.

Most children dont develop cellulits from ear infections, but it can happen so watch them closely.

Speth: Good to see you. sorry to hear about your cousin. Im whacking my brain trying to remember. It was something like survivorstory - but Im not sure thats the exact wording. I bet someone else remembers it.

Nicki
  • jankay
    jankay Member Posts: 789
    edited May 2007
    Sheri and robin and bstn and lisa = i am in Kingsport which is about 2 hrs from Knoxville but iam real close to jonesboro.
    Nicki -how about a candle for - my mom who died in february of 2007
  • susanmcm
    susanmcm Member Posts: 699
    edited May 2007
    to all mothers, whether you are a mother to your own children, to your pets or your friends and loved ones:

Women

When God created woman he was working late on the 6th day. An angel came by and said: “Why spend so much time on that one?”

And the Lord answered: “Have you seen all the specifications I have to meet to shape her ?"

“She must be washable, but not made of plastic, have more than 200 moving parts which all must be replaceable and she must function on all kinds of food, she must be able to embrace several kids at the same time, give a hug that can heal anything from a bruised knee to a broken heart and she must do all this with only two hands."

The angel was impressed: “Just two hands....impossible! And this is the standard model?! Too much work for one day....wait until tomorrow and then complete her“.

“I will not”, said the Lord. “I am so close to complete this creation, which will be the favourite of my heart”.

“She cures herself when sick and she can work 18 hours a day”.

The angel came nearer and touched the woman. “But you have made her so soft, Lord. "

"She is soft", said the Lord, “But I have also made her strong. You can’t imagine what she can endure and overcome.“

“Can she think?" the angel asked.

The Lord answered: “Not only can she think, she can reason and negotiate."

The angel touched the womans cheek.... “Lord, it seems this creation is leaking! You have put too many burdens on her.”

“She is not leaking....it’s a tear” the lord corrected the angel.

“What’s it for?" asked the angel.

And the Lord said: “Tears are her way of expressing grief, her doubts, her love, her loneliness, her suffering and her pride.”

This made a big impression on the angel; “Lord, you are genius. You thought of everything. The woman is indeed marvellous!"

Indeed she is!
    Woman has strengths that amazes man. She can handle trouble and carry heavy burdens. She holds happiness, love and opinions. She smiles when feeling like screaming. She sings when she feels like crying, crys when she is happy and laughs when she is afraid.

She fights for what she belives in. Stand up against injustice. She doesn’t take “no” for an answer, when she can see a better solution. She gives herself so her family can thrive. She takes her friend to the doctor if she is afraid. Her love is unconditional.

She cries when her kids are victorious. She is happy when her friends do well. She is glad when she hears of a birth or a wedding.

Her heart is broken when a next of kin or friend dies. But she finds the strength to get on with life.

She knows that a kiss and a hug can heal a broken heart.

There is only one thing wrong with her - She forgets what she is worth...
  • lizws
    lizws Member Posts: 789
    edited May 2007
    For Jankay's mom.

• Boo46
    Boo46 Member Posts: 261
    edited May 2007
    Hi CG's
    Stopping in to say Happy Mothers Day to all!!!
    Speth - It's called The Survivor Movie. You can find it by searching that name or by going to the cancercrusade.com.
    Shirley - OWWWWW what a memmory!
    Beth - Good to see you typing
    I miss my mom too. She passed away when I was 12, 35 yrs ago now. BC of course. A candle would be sweet if anyone knows how.
    I hope everyone has a relaxing soothing day. I'm working the next 6 days so won't be around much.
    Love to all,
    Sue
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    For Boo's/Sue's mother.

• newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited May 2007

Post deleted by newvickie

• newvickie
    edited May 2007

For all mothers who didn't win Mother of the Year.

This is for all the mothers who didn't win Mother of the Year in 2007. All the runners-up and all the wannabes. The mothers too tired to enter or too busy to bother.

This is for all the mothers who froze their buns on metal bleachers at soccer games Friday night instead of watching from cars, so that when their kids asked, "Did you see my goal?" they could say, "Of course, wouldn't have missed it for the world," and mean it.

This is for all the mothers who have sat up all night with sick toddlers in their arms, wiping up barf laced with Oscar Mayer wieners and cherry Kool-Aid, saying, "It's OK, honey, Mommy's here."

This is for the mothers who gave birth to babies they'll never see. And the mothers who took those babies and made them homes.

For all the mothers who run carpools and make cookies and sew Halloween costumes. And all the mothers who don't.

What makes a good mother, anyway? Is it patience? Compassion? Broad hips? The ability to nurse a baby, fry a chicken and sew a button all at the same time? Or is it heart? Is it the ache you feel when you watch your son disappear down the street, walking to school alone for the very first time? The jolt that takes you from sleep to dread, from bed to crib at 2 a.m. to put your hand on the back of a sleeping baby? The need to flee from wherever you are and hug your child when you hear news of a school shooting, a fire, a car accident, a baby dying? I think so.

So, this is for all the mothers who sat down with their children and explained all about making babies. And for all the mothers who wanted to but just couldn't. This is for reading "Goodnight Moon" twice a night for a year. And then reading it again, "Just one more time."

This is for all the mothers who mess up. Who yell at their kids in the grocery store and swat them in despair and stomp their feet like a tired 2-year-old who wants ice cream before dinner.

This is for all the mothers who taught their daughters to tie their shoes before they started preschool. And for all the mothers who chose Velcro instead. For all the mothers who bite their lips when their 14-year-olds dye their hair green. Who lock themselves in the bathroom when babies keep crying and won't stop.

This is for mothers who show up at work with spit-up in their hair and milk stains on their blouses and diapers in their purses. This is for all the mothers who teach their sons to cook and their daughters to sink a jump shot. This is for all the mothers whose heads turn automatically when a little voice calls "Mom?" in a crowd, even though they know their own offspring are at home.

This is for mothers who put pinwheels and teddy bears on their children's graves. This is for mothers whose children have gone astray, who can't find the words to reach them. This is for young mothers stumbling through diaper changes and sleep deprivation. And mature mothers learning to let go.

For working mothers and stay-at-home mothers. Single mothers and married mothers. Mothers with money, mothers without.

This is for you all. So hang in there. And better luck next year, I'll be rooting for you.

~ Written by Cindy Lange-Kubick
  • jasmine
    jasmine Member Posts: 773
    edited May 2008
    I think you are talking about the Survivor movie.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    Atta Girl Jasmine!

Good Night my friends. I hope you all had a wonderful day.

Nicki
  • RobinTN
    RobinTN Member Posts: 466
    edited May 2007
    Vickie:that was a great post,Susan yours was also

Jasmine:I sure hope you dont have cellulitis,

Speth:welcome to our humble abode
  • zazette15
    zazette15 Member Posts: 223
    edited May 2007
    Happy Mother's Day CG's!!
    I just read 5 pages to catch up. Please forgive me for not addressing each one. But I will address you all.
    First of all: I am pooped. I did the Revlon Run/Walk yesterday and I was determined to finish. It was highly likely that I would not finish considering that I am always tired, out of shape after treatment and a few tamox pounds heavier. But when I got there and saw all those people, 50,000 - I was inspired and determined to cross the finish line, heck, I told myself, it's only 3.1 miles.
    Let me tell you, my legs and feet and ankles were on fire!!
    I did not think I would make it through the second mile standing up but I did and the third. There was this little lady in front of me that had to be 80+ and she was hauling ass! So I just tried to stay up with her and I would look at her and tell myself you have to do this. And I did. I got my medal and tons of hugs from other survivors. The folks participating were AMAZING!! so many survivors of all types, sizes, ages, colors, men and women - every race under the Goddess's rainbow was represented. Needless to say it was an emotional event. Oh, Pat Benetar performed and she was great so was Cheryl Crow and Mandy Moore. Michael Chicklis, whom I adore was an MC too. imageimage Here's a few pictures of me and my team (don't look at my gut, ha ha). It was a great day.
    So, now I am trying to recover, everything hurts but it's a good hurt.

I hope everyone is having a good mother's day, you deserve it.

Every one is a mother in some way, kids aren't the only ones that make you a mother. If you garden - you are a mother to the earth, if you have pets, you are a mother, all of you are mothers of experience on this board in the way you guide and protect and encourage each and every one of us here.
    I had the opportunity to talk to a lot of folks yesterday and hear different experiences and all I kept thinking was how lucky I was to have the CG's in my life, because this whole bc thing sucks and without support it must really suck the big toe! I am grateful that the dark blue time right before I found you all is hardly a memory, it has been replaced with the "Kindness of Others". Not that I still don't have blue days, that's just a given, but they are handled a lot better now with your help.

I will address a few things individually now, first, I have seen some beautiful photos of very beautiful women here, my goodness, we should have a CG America's Next Top Model! I also seen a very handsome son, kudos to mom! Next, I've heard a little despair - I'm not a sugar coater - never have been - I also never question too much why things happen, I've had too much bad happen and it never makes sense at the time and sometimes takes a long time for the reason to show it self - I did the whole why me thing, still do sometimes, but I know this for sure, Why me? - Because I am capable of learning from this, growing from this, reaching out to others from this, caring about this issue and doing something about. As much as I wish I could have gotten a written note telling me to get involved with the bc cause, do something to help, care that this bc happening to thousands of women (and men), the goddess knows I can be hard headed and slow on the uptake sometimes, so I was recruited to be a soldier the hard way, we all were, but damn, look, we have stepped up! We all have stepped up and taken the call to get the issues out there. Not just the bc issue - but detection, treatment, side effects, dealing with family, dealing with the kids, fears for our futures, what support means, what friendship means, going back to work, evil husbands, good husbands, co-workers, etc. We have opened our wounds again again to help someone else, we have recounted our stories repeatedly if we thought it was going to help someone else, thank the goddess, it helped me.
    Thank you beauties - you heroines of the fight - your efforts are greatly appreciated and you deserve a pat on the back.

I really do feel like you are all a blessing to me.
    And a huge WELCOME to the new girls, glad to meet ya!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Member Posts: 282
    edited May 2007

Post deleted by gabij

• neesie
    neesie Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2008
    Hoping everyone had a nice Mothers Day! I haven't read all the post yet, but my thoughts are with all that have lost their Mom's......The candles are lovely.

I had a very nice Mothers Day...family together at my Nieces House..But I just have to share the BEST GIFT EVER!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be a GRANDMA AGAIN!!!!!!!My DD signed her gift/card to me with all their names and at the bottom it said, "and Baby #2!" I am so happy!!

I'm going to read and I'll be back to chat with ya tomorrow!

Hugs,
    Denise
  • snowmen_n_thongs
    snowmen_n_thongs Member Posts: 367
    edited May 2007
    hi ladies,
    hope you all had a beautiful mothers day!!!
    i just wanted to put in a candle for my mom to!
    she passed away 21 yrs ago from lung cancer

tracey
  • zazette15
    edited May 2007

Hi, Speth, cannot wait to get to know you!
  • sherloc
    sherloc Member Posts: 893
    edited May 2007
    back from lunch. It was fabulous. Will definately have to go there for dinner some day.
    Lorene, I wouldn't worry to much about cellulitis with kids ear infections. My ears were kinda a special case. I was born with defects? for lack of a better word. Infections are a regular part of my life.

Z love the pics.

Speth, nice to meet you.
  • sherloc
    sherloc Member Posts: 893
    edited May 2007

Congrats to grammie Denise. Babies are grand

• zazette15
    edited May 2007

Here are candles for my daughter Jocelyn, my grandmother Verline, my aunt Willie Mae, my mother in law Sandra and my grand mother in law, Maxine.

I miss them all so much. Forever in my heart.
  • newvickie
    edited May 2007
    Oh what a day. Happy Mothers Day to all once again. I didn't accomplish a thing today LOL. My house is a mess and I didn't even play with the new mower. Cooked dinner and started the dishwasher. Spent the day going to church, sitting on the porch in the sunshine reading a book, took a short nap with Nathaniel, walked to the creek and let him fish for a few minutes but it's cold here!
    Denise...congratulations...what a great mothers day gift that is! Wow...a new baby to look forward too!
    Z...wow...you had a busy day and good for you! That's guite a hike and you did it! I love the tshirt that says "Check yourself on the front, pat yourself on the back"! You look radiant!
    Thanks to Nicki for posting so many candles today. Lost of lost moms, grandmas, aunts, bc sisters etc.
    Just checked the calendar and we need the magic carpet tomorrow for Jankays trip to Augusta (oh...I'd love to go there), Susans oncology appointment, and Laura is off to the dentist. I think we can make all the appointments. Cheri...are you driving still? Haven't seen you today!
    I'm beat and need to get an afghan finished.
    Love ya all
  • zazette15
    edited May 2007
    Ok, I'm just now opening mail from Friday and Saturday - letter from Kaiser says that my mamm was clean, no bc or worrisome areas were found! Yea!

Also, I've asked for a new medical oncologist, preferably a women who can somewhat better relate to this ticking time bomb feeling I get sometimes. My current medical oncologist has no bedside manner and I'm easy, not asking for all niceness and light, just a little understanding, but he tells me that I am lucky that my bc was caught early and that the invasive was relatively small and as long as I take the tamox I should a-o.k - stop stressing he says. Well, I am not stressing for one, I just want to do everything I can to prevent a recurrence or a new bc in unaffected - he makes it sound to me like I can forget I had bc and just go back to normal. So needless to say, I want somebody else.
  • zazette15
    edited May 2007

Jankay - I'm just loving your posts - you sound really good - good luck with the dr.

• b445
    b445 Member Posts: 980
    edited May 2007
    Once again I want to let all our MOM's know you are special, a mom to a son or a daughter, a puppy or a kitty, any aniaml or a lovely garden. Mom's sisters we are! Thank God you are here for you have helped this Mom make it through another day! I pray that I can help others the way you've helped me!

Had a grand time at the zoo with my family. wish they all could have been here but was pleased my Step daughter called to wish me a Happy Mom's day too!

Now it's time for me to go call my Mom and tell her how much I LOVE her!

Love you all!
  • newvickie
    edited May 2007
    just poppin back in quick to thank you for responding to the "Panny" post. Be careful there and don't get too involved...I have and I am having some doubts and concerns that may be unfounded but I am going to try to be careful with that one. Hard to explain...just a gut feeling.
    You girls are simply the very best of the best and I love ya all.
    till morning
    Vickie
  • beth1225
    beth1225 Member Posts: 402
    edited May 2007
    speth...welcome!
    z, great news!

Here is a little something I got in the mail today to help us all get through another day. This may be a repeat for some and new for others. I will give it a try later on:

HOW TO ACHEIVE CALMNESS IN OUR LIVES:

I am passing this on to you because it definitely works, and we could all use a little more calmness in our lives.

By following simple advice heard on the Dr. Phil show, you too can find inner peace. Dr. Phil proclaimed, "The way to achieve inner peace is to finish all the things you have started and have never finished." So, I looked around my house to see all the things I started and hadn't finished, and before leaving the house this morning, I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of White Zinfandel, a bottle of Bailey'sIrish Cream, a bottle of Kahlua, a package of Oreos, the remainder of my old Prozac prescription, the rest of the cheesecake, some Doritos and a box of chocolates.

You have no idea how freaking good I feel.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,233
    edited May 2007
    Good evening ladies. I wanted to post this pic of Amber while she was sleeping, she just looks so peaceful. I just glanced over at her and liked the way she looked lying there. Then I'll be back to post and put pics on the pic thread.

• Odalys
    Odalys Member Posts: 929
    edited May 2007
    Wow, Cheri, she looks like sleeping beauty. So peaceful and beautiful.

BTW - I did read about the future changes to these boards. I'm concerned that we will loose all our favorites and PM's. I think we better start saving those PM's that are special before they get wiped out.

Beth - so nice to see you posting. Sounds like you had a good time finishing all those things you started. I hope you won't need those Percocets for too long.

Hope everyone had a good mother's day. I had a very nice day with my guys. Steven made me Best Mom diploma at school...so sweet. DH gave me a lovely pair of gold and diamond earings. He knows he can't go wrong with jewelry. LOL! He also treated me to breakfast and Dinner. He is a keeper! LOL.

Okay, I better get ready for bed or I will be very tired tomorrow. Good night friends. I hope everyone has a peaceful night.

Love and hugs,
  • lizws
    lizws Member Posts: 789
    edited May 2007

Okay - what did I miss? Changes to the boards?

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604
    edited May 2007

OMG- when I was last here friday afternoon, we were on page 448 and now its page 456. Way to much for me to catch up on. I am totally exhausted. gloing to call my onc tomorrow and talk to him about the tamox. HOping everyone had a good mother's day. I will slowly try to catch up on all the goings one. Have a good monday tomorrow. Karen in Denver