Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TIME TO CIRCLE THE WAGONS GIRLS

Comments

• Madison
    Madison Member Posts: 859
    edited May 2007
    CY, we are here for you. Shel and Jeannie are right....you are going to meet it and WIN....

Hi all, just returned from San Antonio....need to unpack (work tomorrow). I will read to catch up on all the posts during my day tomorrow.
    Madison
  • jpann39
    jpann39 Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2007
    I talked with CY for awhile earlier this evening......We talked until her DH got home....Her parents will be here next week so her mom will help her through some of the appts and having her port put in....she has an entire list of appts on Monday.....

I just wanted to ask all you ladies here to please keep her in your thoughts and prayers and to help her through this....

Thank You
    Jule
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,233
    edited May 2007
    Cheryl. What can I do to help?

Your friend
    Cheri
  • 2up
    2up Member Posts: 944
    edited May 2007
    btw you guys?

does anybody have a new "goofy" habit?

i have chewed my top lip raw since returning to work ..... it is like raw meat, bleeding and so sore ......... and i finally caught myself chewing on it today during my wait at the cancer clinic ........... until today i thought i had a weird case of chapped lips lol!

sometimes i realize that we have more stress than we want to acknowledge ............. i guess if gnawing off my (already too thin lip) is the worst case scenario, then i'm doing ok lmao!

g'night girls .............. CY .......... keep your chin up and hold yourself close .......... once the initial shock wears off you're going to meet this crap head on deal with it on a day to day basis. what else can we do but fight??????
  • Odalys
    Odalys Member Posts: 929
    edited May 2007
    CY - so sorry. We are here for you.

Love,
  • cmb35
    cmb35 Member Posts: 554
    edited May 2007
    Sheri - I'm so sorry to hear about your appt and your experience at the pharmacy. I know what it's like to just walk out of someplace in tears, it's a terrible feeling but know that you will be OK and things will get better. I have also had really good luck with the over-the-counter claritan. I buy it at BJ's (Costco, Sam's, whatever) and it isn't too expensive. My son's pediatrician actually told me to buy it (instead of giving me a rx) Hang in there

Oh CY, I'm so sorry that it wasn't the answer we all wanted. It's doable though, you'll beat it back into submission and keep on keepin' on. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Shel - what happened to your date? I understand not wanting to mess with a friendship, but will you still go together as friends? That can be just as fun (if not more fun cause there's no pressure!!)

Madison - welcome back!

Betty - I had something to say to you but I can't remember what it is - sorry!

Nicki - 2 days in a row for me with the exercise! I can't go tomorrow (going on a field trip with my son's class) but I'm hoping to keep it up on Friday and Saturday this weekend.

Goodnight and sweet dreams to you all
  • karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604
    edited May 2007

Cy - I am so sorry to hear your news of mets. Plese know that we are all here for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know CO is not so close to WA, but please me know what I can do to help. Give us some ideas for a care package (or should I say lots of care packages). Hugs from Denver Karen

• cmb35
    edited May 2007
    Mena - I'm sorry you're in pain and feeling down. I'm thinking about you and wishing you comfort and peace. I wish there was something I could say or do that would ease your pain.

Deb - Were you looking for button suggestions? I love my t-shirt that has pink boxing gloves on it and it says "Fight Like A Girl"
  • suzfive
    suzfive Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2007
    ((((((Cy))))))) - So sorry to hear your news. Will pray that the chemo will soon kick this cancer to the curb and you will be dancing with NED again. I hate this frickin disease!

Hugs to you,

Sue
  • cmb35
    edited May 2007
    Whoops, didn't mean to hit Continue.

I'm having a hard time breaking away from here tonight. I feel like I don't post that much, but I spend a lot of time reading. (Or I guess I don't post as much as I read!) Anyway, I guess a lot of the time I feel like I'm at a loss for words.

You are all very important to me. You have helped me make it through the last three months. I remember reading this when I very first found bco - "it's not a club any of us ever wanted to belong to, but there are amazing women here"

You have all proved that to be true, time and time again. Thank you.
  • MargaretB
    MargaretB Member Posts: 771
    edited May 2007
    You ladies are a busy bunch....lots of posts to catch up on, don't know if I can do it but I'll try.

Denise, saying a prayer for you; I cannot even begin to imagine what that loss is like.

Betty, I use Pampered Chef products. Their garlic press and ice cream scoop are the best. Someone on this board is a Pampered Chef consultant but I can't remember who.

Shel, is nerves getting the best of you? You should just enjoy yourself and if it doesn't work out, it's practice for the next one. What does Earl know? Have a great time.

Liz, thanks for the update on Jankay. B9 results for you tomorrow.

Jankay, hope you get some answers soon.

Vickie, I'm proud of you for hanging in there with your non-smoking.

Sheri, can you take Claritan for your allergies? If so, Costco sells the generic, with the same active ingredient as Claritan, 3 times the quantity at 1/3 of the price. I start my day with Claritan/generic. The generic is $11.99 vs. the $30 for Claritan.

Shirley, have a great time.

CY, I'm sorry. Putting you in the middle of the circle for some extra hugs. Is there anything else I can do?

Karen, I forgot to tell you - I've been on tamox. for over two years and as soon as I have the tests to determine if I am actually in menopause, the onc. wants to switch me to another AI. I did not have any side effects from tamox once the initial shock to my system was over. At fist I had the pain in my feet but that has subsided. I take my 20 mg at night before I go to bed.

Ladies, since I need to have blood tests and I had a bilateral with nodes removed on both sides, how much of a risk of lymphedema do I have if I have them draw blood from the back of my hand vs. my foot? I am cringing at the thought of them using my foot so it was suggested the back of my hand...what do you think?

Good night all and hope tomorrow is a good day.

Margaret
  • CherrylH
    CherrylH Member Posts: 189
    edited May 2007
    CY,
    Sorry to hear your news. You are in my thoughts and prayers. You are surrounded by love and good wishes. Feel them flowing over you.

love,
    Cherryl
  • AlaskaDeb
    AlaskaDeb Member Posts: 1,159
    edited May 2007
    Calling all information gatherers and prayer warriors…I have a friend I need to put in the center of the circle. My friend Nan’s husband has malignant melanoma. I just talked to her and it is stage 4. She said he feels really good, but they have chosen NOT to do any further treatment all he has had is multiple surgeries to remove the skin tumors).

Even though my dad had melanoma in 1980, he had 2 surgeries and then no further treatment. They gave him 3 months to live….goes to show you that statistics don’t mean jack…he is still here with us today NED. In 1980 they really didn’t have any effective treatments to offer. From what I have read, they do have some treatments now, but nothing that looks like the big guns…nothing clear-cut. He wants to sell everything, buy a boat and sale until he dies.

My friend just lost her mom last year to cancer, pancreatic I think, after a long fight. She doesn’t seem to want DH to get treatment if it is not clear-cut.

First of all, does anyone know a site like this one for melanoma? I have googled some, but didn’t find anything that looks like here.

Second, how do I help my friend? How do I accept their decision to not seek treatment when I am the kind of person who would (or think I would) keep looking for treatments, no matter what?

I am really out of my league here and don’t know what to do. They are v ery private, and I don’t want her to think I am prying, but crap…I want to help!

Nan said they are researching clinics down in the States to go for a second opinion. Does anyone know a melanoma expert? Maybe if they see someone top-notch, they can be convinced to try treatment.

I am just heart-sick. I hate cancer
  • sherloc
    sherloc Member Posts: 893
    edited May 2007
    I'm adding my I HATE CANCER rant as well. I hate what it does to our bodies. I hate what it does to our minds. I hate that we can never get away from it for one freaking second.

CY, I will call when I get into port of friday.

Cheri, the sad part of the whole darn thing is I wasn't stressed about anything. How stupid is that. Just wanted a smoke so went a bought some. O well. I'll give it another go. One of these days I'll succeed.

Shel, I'm sorry about the no date.

I love you all. Hubby has the hairbrained notion that we are leaving at 6am. UGH!!! I will see you all when I get back.
  • sherloc
    edited May 2007
    oops forgot
    Deb, I'll be adding your friend to my prayer list.
  • socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited May 2007
  • b445
    b445 Member Posts: 980
    edited May 2007
    I was a Pampered Chef consultant. I recently went inactive to focus on my health!

Thank yo all for your support.
    I have personally told both my daughters and will call my step daughter tomorrow. My stepson will be here Friday and will tell him then if SD doen't tell him before.
    Scott says tonight is for cryng and tomorrow we fight!
    Thanks you Jules and Cheri for talking withme tonight. You all are the best!

Cheri I'll keep you in prayer that the surgery is a sucess!

Question has anyone done Abraxane & Avastin? That's what I will be doing weekly!

Throwing a few logs on the fires and walking the circle with love and hugs for all my sisters!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,233
    edited May 2007
    Thank you Cheryl, I appreciate it.

cheri
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited May 2007

Im actually speechless this morning. Feeling such sadness for you Cheryl. I know this is devastating news and right now you are probably heart broken. And the thought of facing chemo again, must be overwhelming. I just wanted to share that we are here for you.

Sherloc: Im the expert at not being able to quit smoking. You are not weak. At least you have it in your mind that you want to quit. And I have been told, people need to try many times before they are successful.

Sheri: I hate doctor appointments like that. As a nurse who used to work in ICU, I never let anyone take blood pressures for me on any of my patients. I only trust my ears. Alot of office staff who look like nurses are not. They are medical assistants who go through the same boring routine of taking blood pressures on each patient when they come in. Did you discuss with your doctor, you cant afford more prescriptions? I would call the office and see if they have samples of the allergy medication. My PCP gave me samples of Zyrtec which really helped me. You need your blood pressure medication and if you cant afford it, then ask your doctor to order something that is less expensive. Im on Atenolo - its an older medication but works for me and is really inexpensive. As far as your daughter, kids have fun in college. Maybe you need to tell her to get a summer job - to save for her tuition. Thats what I had to do. Made my courses much more important.

Liz: I do be we are very much alike and connected too! Good luck with the US today. Just hoping they can find out what this is and fix it. Jelly belly that wiggles? Yep - thats me. Im still walking, but right now Im holding at 11 pund weight loss. Cant seem to lose anymore. Guess I will have to add more steps to my daily routine.

Jan: You have to go back and read the South Beach Diet book. The purpose of this whole diet is not just to lose weight, but to lower your cholesterol. After chemo, my cholesterol shot up to 310! I have been on Lipitor for 5 months and will get my blood checked again in 1 month. Im hoping with exercise, dieting, and medication, my numbers will be better.

Colleen: Just keep up the exercisng when you can. I have to tell myself sometimes, I dont have to do this everyday. They say 30 minutes 3x/week will get you conditioned. I just add alot more walking throughout the day. Parking in the furthest spot away from where ever I am going.

Well, its time to go make breakfast. Hope you all have a wonderful day. I have missed many but love you all.

Nicki
  • newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited May 2007
    Good morning ladies,
    Godod morning susnshines sister Nicki!
    I overslept so I only have a minute to post.
    CY...I HATE FRIGGIN CANCER...You will be NED before you know it as the stenghth of the circle will carry you through. Big warm hugs to you.
    Gotta run...I love you all and I'll be back later
    No cigarettes yet...whew...morning is tough!
    Vickie
  • newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited May 2007
    OH...Cheri has her pre-op today. we are right there with you all the way! Surgery and all better tomorrow!
    hugs and love again
    Vickie
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited May 2007
    Vickie: this one is for you. Also, just remember - you cant stop xanax, you have to wean yourself off of it. Good luck with your quitting. I myself - am not ready. The more I think about quitting, the more I want to smoke.
  • jasmine
    jasmine Member Posts: 773
    edited July 2008
    Good morning happy campers! Last day of training for me -- whoohoo! Oh, and its 2 hours a day total for the commute, not 2 hours each way. But it still is a big chunk of my free time.

CY -- so sorry to hear that the results weren't B9. I'm praying for you that you will soon be back into NED status. Do you know what chemo they will be doing?

Cheri -- best wishes on your ankle surgery. Here's hoping you will be back takin names and kickin butt soon. Those puppies are HUGE!

Sheri -- I use Alavert and get it from Sam's Club. I can get 72 for $24 dollars (approx). Maybe a friend will let you borrow their Sam's card if you don't have one. Alavert is Claratin from a different company. Also, I agree with the suggestion someone else made about daughter. Getting a summer job might be just the ticket to help her realize that getting a good education is important if you don't want to spend your life slapping burgers at McD's the rest of your life.

Vickie -- hang in there. What you are doing is a worthy cause not just for you but for Nate and the rest of your family as well. No use surviving breast cancer just to get lung cancer down the road. And just think how much more you will be able to do when you have clear lungs and more air to do things with.

Deb -- so sorry to hear about your friend. I will definitely say a prayer for them. I just don't understand how after all these years and all the money that has been directed at this that we don't seem any closer to a cure or even knowing the cause of all these cancers.

Shel -- I guess I don't understand. Did you cancel the date or did he do it. If you did it then stop it! Why can't you just have a fun date that doesn't have to 'lead' to anything. Just go and have a good time. If you are worried about it ruining the friendship then just tell him upfront that you want to go very slow and that it might just stay a friendship.

Well, off to Java training.
  • tflowers
    tflowers Member Posts: 232
    edited May 2007
    Cy. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))) you're in my prayers.xoxo

Tomorrow I go to the ps to consult my 2nd stage reconstruction.
    Talk later.
  • marshakb
    marshakb Member Posts: 796
    edited May 2007
    CY, sending you positive healing energy. And a big fat hug! (((((((((((((((((CY))))))))))))))))))

Marsha
  • marshakb
    edited May 2007
    OMG...............DEB

You will not believe what you have started in my crazy little world. Last night at BNO (Broads Night Out) I brought up the subject of Duck Farts. I wanted (giving you credit or course) to set up a table at the front door at my NoMoCheMo Jam and make everyone coming in "shoot" a Duck Fart. Not because it has anthing to do with chemo but because it is just funny. Anyhoo....I had to explain what a Duck Fart is, how I heard about it, and the history of it. Then my friend Chip, who has a radio show called Drive Time Happy Hour from 3pm-6, asked me to come on the show today to talk about the Duck Fart Conspiracy. Every Thursday on his show is "Conspiracy Theory Thursday". And as you well know, the big conspiracy with the Duck Fart is how the media has IGNORED how some FooFoo Bars are serving the Duck Fart shaken and in a martini glass. We are also going to discuss why Alaska has a state drink and Florida doesn't! Encourage callers to come up with drinks/names for a Flordia state drink. HAHHAHAHAHA boy did we have fun with the Duck Fart!!!! One friend wanted to drop it in a glass of beer and call it a Wet Duck Fart and someone else suggested pouring a chocolate liqour on top instead of Crown and call it a Duck S**t.

I've printed the article but need to know if ADN stands for Alaska Daily News or what?

You are so funny Deb.........Marsha
  • neesie
    neesie Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2008
    Just logged on to say Good Morning and check on Cy and others waiting results.
    Now I'm bummed and pissed. I HATE CANCER!

Cy: We'll be right with you, and you will beat the crap out of the beast. Your DH is right..cry it out then fight it out.

Hugs,
    Denise
  • marshakb
    edited May 2007

CY, my friend in the Feb. Chemo thread is doing Abraxene and something else, not sure if it is Avastin. She is in a clinical trial. She goes by CatherineH and she is a wonderful lady and I know would be happy to talk to you about this particular type of chemo. Send her a PM. Love, Marsha

• PuppyFive
    PuppyFive Member Posts: 539
    edited May 2007

{{{CY}}} Putting You in the center of All wagons!
    I HATE CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Puppy
  • sherloc
    edited May 2007
    Marsha you crack me up. I wanna come spend a day in your life.

6am and guess who's still asleep? Just had to have one more flyby before a week of withdrawl.

Vicki, have all my appendages crossed just for you. Going to make it very hard to drive so if you hear of an accident on I5 today don't worry it's just me.

Nicki, thanks for the boost. Onward Ho. Or is that Wagons Ho?

Sheri, I agree with everyone else. Tell your doc you can't afford the meds. He can't help you if he doesn't know. I have yet to encounter a doctor who didn't have an cabinet full of samples.

Cy, Cheri, Liz, Jankay, and everyone else doing the dance in the next week. I will be praying for you.