Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

TIME TO CIRCLE THE WAGONS GIRLS

Comments

• CherrylH
    CherrylH Member Posts: 189
    edited May 2007
    Hi Nicki,
    The rainy afternoon is kinda nice. I'm finishing up a knitting project - a tank top for one of my god daughters. Very peaceful, knitting and listening to the rain.

How are you doing? Hope you're feeling better. Have another glass (or 2) of wine!

love,
    Cherryl
  • jankay
    jankay Member Posts: 789
    edited May 2007
    vickie
    i just resent pics

love u
  • beth1225
    beth1225 Member Posts: 402
    edited May 2007
    Cannot possibly attempt to catch up!

wish i could report some good things but i just got home from the hospital, again. wednesday night i was running 103.9 and the ps sent me to the er and admitted me. they ruled everything out (no phlebitis, pneumonia, or UTI) so it looks like i had an infection on the same side they redid the failed skin flap. My veins were not cooperating and they tried to redo the failed IV 3 times and then sent the PICC team and they attempted it twice with the US in my rom. The next day I went to Interventional Radiology who stuck me twice and failed and then the radiologist fianlly got one in. I now know why radiologists go into that field as this guy had NO bedside manner at all!

so i am home this afternoon with a PICC line, iv pump and vankomycin. it is a high powered antibiotic to be transfused twice a day for the next two weeks. Well, the big picture is no cancer. i am so washed out and overwhelmed still emotionally. thank goodness for xanax or i never would have gotten through getting the PICC line. sorry for the bad news but i should start feeling better in a few more days.

I sure hope Cheri got home in one piece, Nicki's cold is gone,Liz and Puppy got good news, Marsha's aprty went well and Jankay is still posting great stories to keep our spirits up. Hi to all of you and I will take a brief time away to heal up and get back on my feet. In themeantime, Vickie adn Puppy have my number at home so gals, please forward to anyone who wants to call.
  • newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited May 2007
    good evening ladies,
    well...it can't believe the time! Have been outside all day working in the yard, mowing, weeding, planting flowers, tomatoes and squash. This was after getting groceries this morning and it relaxation time! After I cook dinner for one "starving" boy LOL.
    Beth...I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time. I will try to give you a call. Our phones are acting up so if anyone tries to call it isn't going through. They were working on it today and hopefully it is fixed now. I hate it because it kicks my internet in and out before I can submit my post!
    Nicki...awww...I'm sorry its raining. I'm sure the grass and flowers are happy. Grab a good movie or book and have some relaxation time yourself. Hope the sun shines for you tomorrow.
    Jankay...I got your pictures and will add them to the journal...they are wonderful! I love them!
    Sheri...sending you a hug. It will all be ok! Scar tissue it will be and you will be fine.
    Cheri...you know...we love you too and you were so missed while you were gone. Praying you heal fast and well and are up and around ASAP! Give Amber a hug from me. Having her home will be a joy to you but I'm sure her heart is aching.
    Odalys...don't you just love it when you can "put someone in their place"...laughing at your great story!
    Marsha...ROFLMBO!!!
    Cheryl...sending you warm hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery. Get yourself right in the center of the circle and let us know what you need!
    CherylNC...all is ok here. Had some interesting lightning though. Predicting more of the same for tomorrow and Monday. I don't mind as long as it doesn't get really windy, then I get nervous and think of running to Shokks to hid in her closet!
    Shokk...were are you?
    Iris...you got new glasses!! Isn't it great to be able to see again. We sure missed you around here. Glad you're back to keep the burglers away LOL! Love ya.
    I see CatherineH and HollyAnn...do we have new circle sisters that I missed! I sure hope so. Come on in girls and pull up a chair next to the fire and tell us all about yourselves...or just jump in and join the fun. We are a loving, funny bunch.
    Alwayshope...what's up buttercup. Haven't seen you in a bit...hope all is well. Hugs to you.
    Denise...invalid...pppfffttt...you are so funny!
    NS...your port is about to burst!!! Ok that sounds scary! What will you do? Take care ok. I can't believe your poor neighbor got hurt and someone would walk right by and not help. What kind of person could do such a horrible thing and I'm sorry but that is just plain horrible behavior.
    Ok...off to cook dinner but i'll be back.
    Love ya all...you are the bestest
    Vickie
  • jasmine
    jasmine Member Posts: 773
    edited May 2008
    Ah Cheri, big hugs. You've got a lot going on there sweetie. I'm sorry to hear about Amber.

Only one sponge bath! How many times did they change the bedsheets?

I think its perfectly fine to have a post all about you. You've been through some major surgery and most of us have been waiting to hear from you.

I hope that the farther out you get from this surgery, the more peace you will have about things that happened or didn't happen. Try not to sort it out while you are still on pain meds and in a fog. It will just make you more confused and crazier. I'm sure hubby and Amber will fill you in on the details when you are clearer headed.

Its terrific to have you back!
  • jankay
    edited May 2007
    Hollyann is a friend of mine from the chatroom. I told her how neat this thread is and told her s he should visit.
    i will ask her t o come back
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited May 2007

Cheryl: I took your advice. Listening to the rain drops while Im working on a project is actually quite relaxing.

Beth: Oh my goodness. Is this infection in the skin flap? And is it MRSA? Vancomycin is pretty strong stuff and should do the trick, but 2 weeks is along time. Sending you lots of hugs.

Vickie: Busy Busy day. I really shouldnt whine about the rain. We have been very dry. The grass, trees, plants and flowers need it. And the birds are thirsty too. At least I got my walk in this morning. Did 2 miles total.

Well - I do believe this will be my last post tonight. So everyone have a wonderful evening. Catch up with ya in the morning.

Cheri: I keep reading your post and I cant find where you mentioned that you only got one sponge bath while you were in the hospital. Man - that is totally unacceptable. What is happening to our health care systems? It makes me crazy. Hoping the pain starts to subside. Joint and bone surgery is very painful. Hoping your getting some home physical and occupational therapy while you are non weight bearing.

Nicki
  • beth1225
    beth1225 Member Posts: 402
    edited May 2007
    Nicki, my cousin who is an RN asked the same thing about it being MRSA and I forgot to ask. They are taking bloodwork after a week's time to make sure the kidneys are ok and the anitbiotic is getting out of my system well enough. Guess I have to drink lots of water. They are really not sure if it is actually in th eflap or just there because I may be rejecting the implant. The ps feels this should knock it out and they may reduce it to once a day depending on the results of bloodwork. Thanks for the good wishes.

I thought I would try to catch up but I think I will try to keep track from here out! I am feeling ok right now so I will stay with you guys till I poop out again.
  • joy1122
    joy1122 Member Posts: 189
    edited May 2007
    Beth,
    So sorry you are going through a rough time. Hugs to you and I hope you are feeling better soon. My veins are bad too,not fun at all to deal with.
    Sheri-I am a worrier too. I ask everytime I see the PS,BS and onc to check it.I understand....
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    Beth: About 2 inches of my left breast became necrotic. Got infected, but not as bad as yours. I had to go back to surgery about 2 weeks post mastectomy, but the PS cleaned it up nicely and it healed after that. I only needed oral antibiotics. If they are using Vancomycin, Im guessing its MRSA. Watch out for diarrhea.

Nicki
  • Madison
    Madison Member Posts: 859
    edited May 2007
    Beth, so sorry to hear about the infection but glad they have you on good antibiotics.....

Good night Nicki.

Vickie, you were very busy today. Dh and I will tackle the yard tomorrow afternoon. I wanted a day today to do NOTHING but crochet.....I left the house only once (and that was to get black yarn)....

CatherineH and HollyAnn...pull up a wagon and visit...WELCOME.

Hi, Hi to all....

Be back later, DH is even cooking tonight....
  • SheriH
    SheriH Member Posts: 472
    edited May 2007
    Rain, I envy you all. I love being outside, but these allegies are making it impossible. I hate sitting in the house when it is nice out, but if I go out my eyes get all yucky again. Plus, we NEED rain here very badly.

Beth, what an ordeal. I hope the antibiotics do the trick. My veins are dust, too. I have one good one and when it's blown it's a nightmare. Rest up. I am praying for your recovery.
  • CherrylH
    CherrylH Member Posts: 189
    edited May 2007
    Dear Laldies,
    I'm calling it a night. I just made a batch of my "Big Girl Slushies" (see recipe on page 66 of Cyberparty page) and am going to bed. Wish you all a good night and good day tomorrow.
  • b445
    b445 Member Posts: 980
    edited May 2007
    Just stopping in to check on you all and see how Cheri was doing? Cheri you be sure to stay off that foot We want you all better!
    Beth they gave me the vancomycin but I get redman syndrom from it so they had to give me two shots of bynadryl. Hope things get better soon!

CatherineH and HollyAnn, welcome this is the best group of ladies you'll ever meet!

I recevied somne very special angels today! Thank you! I know I have recieved cards from several of you and you are too kind to take the time to send them to me.

I am very sore and can't stay up long but wanted to say Thank you! You are all my specail angels!

I'm headed back to bed as I think I may have done a little too much today.
    Throwing some more logs obn the fires and sending out gentle hugs and prayers!
    Love you all!
  • AlaskaDeb
    AlaskaDeb Member Posts: 1,159
    edited May 2007
    Hi Girls!

I have MISSED YOU GUYS!!

The flight to MI was good....took us 12+ hours with the lay over, but went smooth. All the in-laws and out-laws have been on their best behavior, so that is good. Spent today at a Tigers baseball game with 15 relatives...we lost, but it was fun. We get the nexty 2 days with my best friend and her family WooHoo! Should be a blast and will make the whole trip worth while.

Got to run, DH wants to check e-mail before bed.

Love you all to itty-bitty pieces
    Bugs and Fishes
    Deb C
  • socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited May 2007
    Great to hear from you Deb..now when you come on in the mornings you will be way ahead of us west coasters..
    Glad you could go to a Tiger's game..we went Thursday night to a Padres/Cubs game..the Pads lost too!!
    Have a blast with your best friend ...Hugs...
  • shokk
    shokk Member Posts: 790
    edited May 2007

Hola my little chickadees......Well I have been outside all day building an Ark.......ha..........it only rained for about 20 minutes today but it remained very cloudy and windy.....they say we are to have more rain tonight, tomorrow, and Monday......yahoo........my daughter and I watched "A Night at the Museum" earlier.....I never saw it.....one scene from the movie I liked was when Ben Stiller is mad at the monkey and wants to hit him back and Robin Williams is asking Larry "who's evolved?"......too cute....anyway guys went to eat "dinner" with my mom at 4:30 this afternoon....I sure hope I get to live long enough to make my daughters eat dinner with me at 4:30........the early bird special.......Beth see what happens when you want new perky ones........hope you get to feeling better......Jankay are you doing some recuriting????? Cheri so sorry to hear about Amber....marriage today and everyday is so difficult........hope things can be worked out......don't let those grandkids wear you out........ok chicas just got to skim.......Hey Vickie don't like wind so I quess the tornadoes and hurricanes aren't on your to do list.........ok sweethearts.....will check in earlier tomorrow.......Hey Vickie see ya later alligator........

• jankay
    edited May 2007
    THE SCARS OF LIFE
    "Love is when God became man."
    Some years ago, on a hot summer day in south Florida, a little boy decided to go for a swim in the old swimming hole behind his house. In a hurry to dive into the cool water, he ran out the back door, leaving behind shoes, socks, and shirt as he went. He flew into the water, not realizing that as he swam toward the middle of the lake, an alligator was swimming toward the shore.

His father, working in the yard, saw the two as they got closer and closer together. In utter fear, he ran toward the water, yelling to his son as loudly as he could.

Hearing his voice, the little boy became alarmed and made a U-turn to swim to his father. It was too late. Just as he reached his father, the alligator reached him.

From the dock, the father grabbed his little boy by the arms just as the alligator snatched his legs. That began an incredible tug-of-war between the two. The alligator was much stronger than the father, but the father was much too passionate to let go.

A farmer happened to drive by, heard his screams, raced from his truck, took aim and shot the alligator.

Remarkably, after weeks and weeks in the hospital, the little boy survived. His legs were extremely scarred by the vicious attack of the animal. And, on his arms, were deep scratches where his father's fingernails dug into his flesh in his effort to hang on to the son he loved.

The newspaper reporter who interviewed the boy after the trauma, asked if he would show him his scars. The boy lifted his pant legs. And then, with obvious pride, he said to the reporter, "But look at my arms. I have great scars on my arms, too. I have them because my Dad wouldn't let go."

You and I can identify with that little boy. We have scars, too. No, not from an alligator, but the scars of a painful past. Some of those scars are unsightly and have caused us deep regret. But some wounds, my friend, are because God has refused to let you go. In the midst of your struggle, He's been there holding on to you.

The Scripture teaches that God loves you. You are a child of God. He wants to protect you and provide for you in every way. But sometimes we foolishly wade into dangerous situations, not knowing what lies ahead. The swimming hole of life is filled with peril - and we forget that the enemy is waiting to attack. That's when the tug-of-war begins - and if you have the scars of His love on your arms, be very, very grateful. He did not and will not ever let you go.

Please pass this on to those you love. God has blessed you, so that you can be a blessing to others. You just never know where a person is in his/her life and what they are going

through. Never judge another person's scars, because you don't know how they got them. Also, it is so important that we are not selfish, to receive the blessings of these messages, without forwarding them to someone else.

Right now, someone needs to know that God loves them, and you love them, too - enough to not let them go .

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Always Tell Your Family And Friends How Much You Love Them
  • karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604
    edited May 2007
    Well, I have managed to go back and read yesterday and todays posts - I think that will be all the catching up I can do. Thank you to everyone who checked in on me the past couple of days. With a two day holiday during the week and then a day off and shabbat, it has been busy. I am glad for the 3 day weekend. I have a garden plot at work that needs to be planted. Either tomorrow or monday, Miriam and I will go plant the garden - tomatoes, peppers, and not sure what else. I try to stay away from root veggies as I usually pull them thinking they are weeds, but may go for some carrots, lettuce and who knows what else. Its been a long time since I've had a veggie garden. We have too many shade trees in our yard to have a good garden - plus the dogs trample it all!!. Invited to a BBQ on monday afternoon, but no other plans. DS is camping with some of his friends. Implant has shifted down some more - DH says don't worry since PS has to go in and fix it - not to worry how much it moves. I ahven't taken my Tamox since Wednesday night. That night I thought I took 2 sleeping pills but when they weren't working, looked at the bottle and think it was two tamox so that means I took 3 that night. So decided I need to give my body a rest. Last night the two sleeping pills knocked me out - sleep solid and had trouble getting up this morning. At that rate, can't take two on a work night. Knees are still sore and hands were swollen this morning and I'm still TIRED!!!!. Appetite is better. Trying to figure out what to do about the Tamox or the AI's. Do I stay on Tamox, go back to the AI's and maybe try Aromasin or go back to either Arimidex or Femara or nothing? Was going to call onc on friday, but decided not too. May try the tamox again tomorrow night and see what happens. part of me wants to quit it all and then part of me is too darn scared to not be on something (did I just repeat myself?). I'm also cold on the tamox - which is weird - go from cold to "hot flashes" talk about crazy!!! I feel like I have turned into such a whiner. I was never that way before BC.
    Odalys - you surprise sounds great - can't wait to get mine (I think I sent you my address).
    Jankay - enjoy the afghan. I love your stories - keep them coming - they put a smile on my face
    Z - I love what you wrote about what the CG means to us all.
    Nickie - glad to hear that you weren't hurt when you fell - glad that your GF mammo and US were normal.
    Always hope - you are so right - BC has changed my life forever!
    Susan - you bet - the scars are a constant reminder of BC, the CG is just a source of comfort from a wonderful group of women who get it. I too plan to stay here for quite some time. When people ask how I am doing, either I say "okay" or I say "ups and downs' - I'm tired of sugar coating it. People tell me I look good and I just say I wish I felt as good as I look!!!!
    Cheri - hugs. Sorry to hear about Amber's marriage. Glad though that she is there to help you. Hugs!!
    Sherdon - hugs - sending wishes for only good test results. Glad you are done for the summer.
    Joy - hugs for Kevin's upcoming surgery
    Z- love the diet
    Liz - will be with you on the 1st
    Odalys - so sorry about your friend Liz.
    NS - hugs - 3/4 done with the red devil!!! Hope the port settles down. A/C man - where or where are you???
    Tricia - will be with you at your surgery.
    Robin - where are you girlfriend?
    Marsha - love the viagra story
    CY - power port and done with one chemo. You be sure to take good care of yourself. It is our pleasure to send you cards.
    Beth - so sorry about the infection and hard time. Yeah to no cancer. Atleast that is some good news.
    Rondab, Mena, Tracey (fighting boss), Amy, denise, Vickie, HollyAnn, Cahterine H, Bearlysane, CherlyNC, Cherly Holt, MB, Puppy, Colleen, Betty, SoCalLisa, Deb (having fun in Michigan), Sige, Ginney, Ann, Christine, Shel and everyone else - hope you are having a good weekend. Sending hugs from denver for a feel good day. Karen
  • jankay
    edited May 2007
    karen
    glad to heaR from you. i will keep posting as long as u all keep smiling.
    when i go down i40 on mypower scooter to check on robin would u liked to go
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007

Good Morning Everyone: Raining again at this end of the circle. Im hoping it will stop long enough for me to go on my walk this morning. We shall see. We were almost in a dry spell here - so the rain is good, justs makes the week-ends a little boring. I have an above ground pool and we were gonna open it up this week-end, now we had to put it off. So Im hoping tomorrow will be a sunny day. I want my pool opened!!

Sheri: The allergy thing sounds pretty awful. Have you tried any of the over the counter stuff. Get something with an antihistamine - it will combat allergies. Of course you have to watch that cause of your high blood pressure.

Odalys: This blouses not fitting me properly is really getting to me. It hard to find pretty blouses anymore. I like lacy things and the only blouses I can find, are really designed for "juniors". Those blouses are not business like and make me look pregnant. So I finially found some pretty short sleeve, lacy blouses - that I could wear but they didnt fit. I also like the vest look - but you cant find a vest anywhere anymore. Even the business suits have changed. All the jackets are short and fitted. I sure hope the styles change soon.

CY: I thought my port insertion hurt alot more than my mastectomy. And then to think you got chemo in the new port gives me the willies. You just rest up and get lots of sleep.

DebC: While your in Michigan you will be in the same time zone as me. Glad your flight went well. Enjoy the time you will be spending with your friend. She sounds special.

Shokk: Its funny - Early bird specials. Seems like all older people just love them. I dont mind the clouds too much cause ya can still bbq. Texas sure has had its fair share of bad weather.

Karen: Its hard for me to relate, because Im not on any aromatase inhibitors. I think one of my biggest disappointments was being er/pr negative. My older sister was diagnsoed 3 months after me and she is er/pr positive. She is on Aromasin. Has alot of the same issues that many of you talk about. She was gonna change to Femara or Arimidex - got samples - read the little inserts and realized they all have similiar side effects. So she stuck with the armoasin. Im justhoping you find something that will work with the least amount of symptoms.

Today, my husbands whole family is getting together. There is a priest who has been friends of the family since they were all teen-agers. He is 88 y/o and is going to a home for retired priests. So we will be gathering to say good-bye to him. Would much rather stay at home.

I finially went and got a manicure and pedicure yesterday. I forgot how good it feels. I was so relaxed afterwards. And now I feel pretty.

Hope you all have a grand day today. See ya all later.

Nicki
  • purplemb
    purplemb Member Posts: 593
    edited May 2007
    GM all...whoo sunday and I'm at the Fairfield in Syracuse, wow I really do hate Family gatherings...but nice to see evreyone anyways...met a little neighbot girl that is selling pink stuff....so even the little ones know how important this fight is...welll , DH here for coffee...hugs to all, have a great weekend
    MB
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    MB - good to hear from you. Family gatherings are not my favorite either. Hope the Fairfield has a pool. And room service. I just love room service.

Nicki
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    Holly and CahterineH: Just wanted to say hello.

Nicki
  • newvickie
    newvickie Member Posts: 2,941
    edited May 2007
    Good morning ladies!
    Nicki and MB were up before me. I've been awake just couldn't drag myself out of bed. Nate finally came in and gave me a boost. He's watching "Backyard Habitat" and is coming up with all kinds of ideas...oh my! Lazy day for me today!!! I get to go to church, come home and crochet. Nate has a birthday party from 2 till 4 and they are picking him up and bringing him home. He's not sure about going without me but I think I may force it. He needs to know that it's ok.
    MB...wow, you're only an hour and a half away from me right now. Have fun LOL! I don't do family gatherings and we seldom have them. Thanksgiving and Christmas we get together here and there but that's about it.
    Karen...good to hear from you. I am becoming increasingly discouraged with the Tamoxifen. Arms and hands are killing me, knees won't work and I am sooo tired all the time. Try not to complain as the Arimidex for me was worse but geez...you'd think they could do something with all these side effects...we've been through enough. Sending you a hug.
    Jankay...thank you for posting that story today. I needed it! I love that story and haven't seen it in a while.
    Cherryl...big girl slushies...gonna have to try that out! Wanna join me?
    Deb is home...welcome home Deb we missed you. We want to hear all about it. Can't wait to meet you at Pinkstock.
    Shokk...yup...tornados and hurricanes are out! We've had a couple of little tornados here in the past but nothing like you get. If I lived where you do I'd be running for the closet every time the curtains ruffled LOL.
    They are talking 80 degrees and thunderstorms here today...at least it will be warm! Was so tired last night I couldn't even post my usually good night to all so I hope you all had sweet dreams and restful sleep.
    Missing a bunch...Cheri, Susan, Liz, Robin, Cheryl, Liz, Puppy, Rondab, Shel, Madison, Gina, Sheri, Jeannette, oh geez...it's too early to come up with all the names...we need a roll call LOL.
    Know that I love you all and will say a special prayer in church this morning for all of you.
    I'll be back.
    Vickie
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007

Vickie: Good morning sunshine sister. Enjoy the beautiful warm day.

Nicki
  • jankay
    edited May 2007
    good morning cgs

i wish everyone a bright and sunny sunday
    sis will only be here until wed
    dreading that
    love
  • shokk
    shokk Member Posts: 790
    edited May 2007

Good SUNDAY morning sweet sisters.........come on guys its early.......Nicki and Vickie don't ya'll ever sleep in????? OK it is just pouring here......thunder just woke me up.....God did make a promise about flooding right?????? I know us Texans can be a little full of ourselves but its just an act..........ok it has let up a little but the satalite tv is out and that means more storms from the South.....trying to type with the cat in my lap......Goodness he thinks he is so bad but he just hates storms.......Ok going to start some coffee.......here comes the rain........Nicki I check my computer every morning to before I even start the coffee to see if you have posted.....right now the cat is trying to get the sun that you posted.....this is too funny....he is going nuts.....bbl alligators......get some strengh from church Vickie......light a candle for us........

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2007
    Jankay: Good morning sunshine sister. Now I just want to know when do you sleep. You were up late last night, and up early this morning.

I love reading your posts.

Enjoy the time with your sister. Just treasure the time you have with her.

Nicki
  • jankay
    edited May 2007
    i dont sleep

because someone alwayswakes me