Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lets conduct our own study on how we all got breast cancer

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited November 2007
    Options

Swallowing Gum! I do believe I fit in that category.  In fact I cant chew gum to this day.  Why?  Cause I swallow it without realizing Im doing it. 

I also remember checking out things in my parents bedroom.  Never found any condoms though.  Maybe that why there were 5 kids in the house.

Mu closet is stilled filled with lots of barbie dolls too.

Nicki

• ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    Options

hmmm..I also have a few Barbie Dolls. Wonder what they put in those boobs....

• ddd
    ddd Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2007
    Options

Well, I was never naughty, so I'll debunk that theory.Laughing

However, I would like to go back to the DDT/insecticide issue.  I grew up in mosquito country, most certainly exposed to plenty of DDT spraying in the summers, then there was the constant spraying of "Off" all summer long, and lets not forget the insecticides and fertilizers our dad put all over the lawns.....jeez.  Today I can hardly bring myself to pick up a can of House and Garden more than once a couple of months, that kind of stuff really scares me.

On the other hand, I had plenty of Barbies too!! LOL!!!!

• gsg
    gsg Member Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2007
    Options

Oh...my.....God....I wonder if dippity doo was code for dippity doo cause cancer. 

• gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options
    also, i'd like to hear from fumi how many condoms a week were missing from her parent's drawer...on average.
  • silvergirl9114
    silvergirl9114 Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2007
    Options

Oh geez---and all this time I thought it was from my naturally curly hair and being left handed. Did my share of stupid/naughty stuff but I figure if my Dad didn't kill me, BC certainly won't!

Jeannie

• Towanda2
    Towanda2 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2007
    Options

I'm sure mine was caused by spending too much time alone with BOB (battery-operated boyfriend).  He was probably made of the same plastic as Barbie.

• gsg
    edited November 2007
    Options

LMAO!!!  BOB is a keeper. 

I can't stop laughing!!!!!

• nevaeh
    nevaeh Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Options
    1. Lonnnnnnnnnnnnng makeout sessions where we just kissed (the frustration should have killed both of us)
    2. Realizing sex was more fun -- (before marriage, that must have done it (at least according to the the nuns it would haveSmile)
    3. Keeping beer cold in the snow (while we were making out)
    4. Always dieting -- it had to be all the grapefruit I ate that one summer

I see the pattern now - it was sex and drinking.  Well, I'm not about to give up sex!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 183
    edited November 2007
    Options

For me, I'm convinced it was all those black plastic O-Rings I wore in high school. I wore them on my right arm and got BC on the right side! You can't make this stuff up...

Either that or it was the gallons of Love's Baby Soft I doused on between 8th and 9th grade or all those Sergio Valente, Gloria Vanderbilt or Jordache jeans I wore that did it. Conspiracy, I tell ya!!

• mke
    mke Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2007
    Options

Sex, drugs and rock and roll.  That had to be it.  All those vibrations don't you know.

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2007
    Options

Hey Patrice...where in MN were you raised?

• DoreenF
    DoreenF Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2007
    Options

This is hilaraous ... thank you!!! 

Yep... must be the barbies ... and swallowing gum ... and laying in the sun w/ heaps of baby oil on my skin ...    or how 'bout a new theory --   how many of us swallowed watermelon seeds as we were eating watermelons ?? I did all the time as a kid  

we also used to chase the mosquito fogger as it went down the street -  we thought it was fun to run in the fog ... what on earth were we thinking ??  

Doreen  

• TenderIsOurMight
    TenderIsOurMight Member Posts: 55
    edited March 2008
    Options

We were children. I'm wondering what on earth our EPA was thinking! No warning to our parents???? Did anyone receive a warning about it's possible health effects? Like the local newspapers, or campgrounds etc...

Were they even informed it was DDT? How about the guys and gals driving those machines?

Of course, there was always college too, fun, sun, and oh my ? (not) rum but....

Gosh, what I now warn my kids!!

Tender

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 344
    edited November 2007
    Options

Being perfect...LIKE ME!

Shirley

• FitChik
    FitChik Member Posts: 392
    edited November 2007
    Options

Now, c'mon, girls, please be serious here! I've always known that it was my nail-biting that gave me cancer. Out of all of my sisters and other female relatives, I was the only one who bit (and swallowed!) and the only one who developed BC. My mother tried everything to break my habit, but I persisted. It's totally my fault and I know it!

And the rest of you who are totally in denial, admit it....you'll feel so much better! Wink

~Marin

• djd
    djd Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2007
    Options

Marin - I think you hit the "nail" on the head (pun intended Wink)

I was a relentless nail-biter from the age of 5.  I was copying my oldest brother, probably.  Mom tried everything under the sun to get me to quit - nothing worked!  I even learned to enjoy the taste of that bitter crap she would paint on my nails!!

It wasn't until I became a borderline "germ-o-phobe" that I was able to keep my fingers out of my mouth Embarassed

I still bite my nails occasionally, but only when I am sure that my hands are completely germ-free...lol

• tkoski
    tkoski Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2007
    Options

Do you gals remember silly putty? I used to place it over my nose and blow bubbles...  I still remember what it smelled like....   it was either sniffing that stuff, or the hours of endless hoola-hooping....

This is better than confession......

Terri 

• Paulette531
    Paulette531 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2007
    Options

You guys are hilarious! For me I think it was back in the 80's when it came out that 1 out of 4 women would get BC. We were in the office and counted around and somehow it was me! I'm sure that's what did it!

Or it could have been those damn mosquito trucks...

OR...

Did you ever use Elmers glue to remove hair? It was like waxing! 

• ravdeb
    ravdeb Member Posts: 277
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG..NOW I know what it was..when I was pulling my hair up really tight on my head and rolling it around orange juice cans. That was definitely it! The metal cans, mixed with the acid from the orange juice, right on my head..went straight to the boob.

• TenderIsOurMight
    edited March 2008
    Options

Oh my, yes! That and spritzing on a straightener before ironing our long hair. Oops, maybe I was the only one (and my sister) who actually did this.

• DoreenF
    DoreenF Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2007
    Options

another chronic nailbiter when I was young ..  I bit my nails up through college -  I'm pretty sure I swallowed them too....   Embarassed

Doreen  

• newter
    newter Member Posts: 2,670
    edited November 2007
    Options

Now I never bit my nails but I did suck my thumb until kindergarten.  Maybe that caused my BC or maybe it was wearing braces for 3 years.  I also chewed a lot of gum, still do.  Do ya think it was any of these?

• nancy101
    nancy101 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2007
    Options

Ladies, this is so much fun.  I am cracking up.  I like the barbie theory, swallowing gum, biting nails, and ironing hair.  However, it may have started for me with my chatty cathy doll and me pulling the string all the time to make her say something different instead of hearing her get stuck on saying the same thing.  My older brothers kidnapped her from me and cracked her chest open, took her apart, and put her back together again...she was never the same again...just like us...hmm...  LOL

• Paulette531
    Paulette531 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2007
    Options

Did everyone go trick or treating? Maybe it was in the Halloween candy!

• TenderIsOurMight
    edited March 2008
    Options

Hostess® Sno Balls®,

America’s most famous PINK snack cakes, are celebrating 60 sweet years as one of America’s favorite treats.

Since being introduced in 1947, Sno Balls have become an enduring icon enjoyed by generations of snack cake lovers who can’t get enough of the delicious and distinctive marshmallow, coconut, and chocolate cake combination.

Over 25 million Sno Balls are sold each year!

With flour and sugar rationing during WWII, Sno Balls became an instant hit with Americans looking to indulge in a sweet treat.

Sno Balls were not always the pink crème filled treats we know today. Original Sno Balls were white marshmallow and shredded coconut covered chocolate cakes – it wasn’t until 1950 that the crème filling was added.

Not long after the crème filling was added, in an effort to add a little pizzazz to the humble white Sno Ball, Hostess decided to tint the shredded coconut pink. And for added effect, each Sno Ball package included one white and one pink Sno Ball. Later, for efficiency’s sake, two of the same color were coupled.

(Can't believe I loved these! First exposure to eating PINK!)

Tender

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 344
    edited November 2007
    Options

No, it was NOT nail biting.  My fingernails grew long.  That's what it was...long fingernails.

I'm in Dotti's era.  Too old to have barbies.  Skating was pretty big in my day.  Could it have been making sure my skates were polished, really shiney, and making sure the bearings in my wheels were squeaky clean?

Or could it have been those freakin warts on my hands?  They finally went away.  But where DID they go?

• mke
    mke Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2007
    Options

Wait, I was raised in MN too.  Maybe it was MN.  But I also like the halloween candy theory.  I think it was those candy corn kernel ones, or maybe candy cigarettes.

• Sandra1957
    Sandra1957 Member Posts: 1,064
    edited November 2007
    Options

There's that pink again...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2,728
    edited November 2007
    Options

OMG!  Im cracking up at this thread.  The silly puddy really got a good belly laugh.  I say maybe it was the Ovaltine.

Nicki