Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Where Are The "Oldbies"?

Options

Comments

• Sierra
    Sierra Member Posts: 180
    Options

Hi Iodine:

Im just checking in for a sec here

Be Well

and have one of those delicious drinks on me!

Hugs, Sierra :)

best to all

• lilee
    lilee Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi oldbies!

I am 8 years out (yay!) and was drawn back to this site after going through my old photos. Laura, our meeting was at Cold Spring Harbor in April 2004. We had a good size group and a fun gift exchange.

To others who remember, our first NY get together was in September 2003 at the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station.  I can still picture the faces on the other patrons when we decided to take off our wigs! 

I am doing well and staying healthy. Two sons out of college and one to go. It is always such mixed emotions to come here isn't it? There is sadness in the friends we lost and.. I am so grateful to so many of you whose names and words still bring back feelings of comfort. 

Love to you all,

Lilee  

• sushanna1
    sushanna1 Member Posts: 61
    Options

Congratulations to all of you.  I get nervous even putting this in writing lest I jinx something but I am coming up on 10 years.  Got the news on May 2, 2001.  Seems like it was just yesterday.  

Wishing all of you the very best.

Sue 

• swinn
    swinn Member Posts: 5
    Options

I have to admit I don't come here very often anymore. I was diagnosed in Dec. of '05. I had a lot of fears but started surgery and treatment right away and still have some fears of it returning but it isn't on my mind all the time. I don't know if anyone is here that was when I posted.

Sally

• NaughtybyNature
    NaughtybyNature Member Posts: 190
    Options

Hi lilee and sushanna1... I posted a picture of Tinkerbell's grandson on the Who is Who thread.  She would be so proud of this high energy and funny little man.  I know I am.

Hi Sally (swinn)... welcome back... I have been here for a while... sometimes I stay away... other times here I am, present and account for.

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    Options

Hi Lilia......It is good to see you on here again. We both joined at the same time I see. I remember Tinkerbell so well and it is wonderful to hear that her genes live on in her grandson.

I followed the story way back and did all the 'Aaaahs' when you and Mr.Tinks got together.

Those were the days...........and these days are good too.

Take care,

Sam

• NaughtybyNature
    NaughtybyNature Member Posts: 190
    Options

Hi sam52, I remember you... it's so nice to see some of the "oldie" names come back... some I hear from them on FB but others I have lost track Frown.

Yeap... Mr. Tinkerbell and I have been married for almost 3 years... and together for a little over 6.  How times fly... I hope you are doing well.  I see you are almost celebrating your 10th year... and the month before I will celebrate my 8th... fingers, toes and legs crossed Wink.

((((((Hugs)))))

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    Options

Hi oldbies, I a one also. I had to switch my name because I forgot my login! I used to be ivanna66 or ivanna94, can't remember! I do remember Junie, Sachi, Sunshine, HarleyHoney, all those that went to tahoe I think it was 2004! I am back because I have a new diagnoses in the other breast :(  . Sad to see those that we have lost to this disease, way too many. Glad to see those that are still doing well and still stopping by to check up!

• Ltb3105
    Ltb3105 Member Posts: 56
    Options

Hi all,

Went for my 6 mo. checkup today.  Don't see oncologist til next Tues!  Yikes!  Just wanted to make a shout out to all those who were here originally when I was first dx'd. in '02.  Sadly, my good friend from grammar school, who actually convinced me to have that first mammo, has been dx'd. again..they say it's a "new" cancer, and it's more aggressive.....she has been cancer free for 12 yrs., so WTF??????  

Please keep her in your prayers!

Love to all,

Laura  

• Sierra
    Sierra Member Posts: 180
    Options

Hi Laura

was just on for a sec today

a real shame re your friend

exactly WTF??

sending out prayers

Sierra :)

• Ltb3105
    Options

Hey all, am dancing with NED again....July 1st will mark my 9 yr. anniversary.  WTF did the time go????  I looked at the pix from the reunion in NYC at Carmine's Restaurant in 2004?  2005? with mixed feelings.  "Sunshine" was in those pix, but sadly, passed away a few yrs. later.  I can't believe how big this thread has become...more like a skein of yarn than a thread, lmao!

Have a great summer all, God bless and keep positive thoughts!

Love u all,

Laura 

• Ltb3105
    Options

bkj, I am very saddened to hear of a recurrence....hah, they always say it's a "new" cancer, cancer, schmancer, new or old, wtf?

My thoughts and prayers go out to you that u will continue to fight the fight, like u did the first time.  Please post when u feel like it and update.

xo

Laura 

• Jellydonut
    Jellydonut Member Posts: 20
    Options

It's been three years since I posted on this thread!  Where did the time go?

Well, still here....nine years now!!

Happy to see y'all here too!  

Jelly

• sam52
    Options

Jelly - good to see you again.

Could you say what grade and size your tumor was? I am interested, since your dx seems similar to mine.Also nine years for me, too. So far, so good.......

Sam

• Jellydonut
    Options

Hi Sam!!

The size of my tumor?  Which one?

original diagnosis in 2002:  1.9 + a nodule (don't remember that size), plus 3 nodes that were "loaded" with cancer cells.  Grade 2.

1st recurrence: 1.6

2nd recurrence:  two more tumors:  1.5 & 1.0 (approximate)

That makes me a three time "survivor" (hate that word)

I'm so happy to hear you're also a 9 year "survivor".....WTG!

Stay well!!

• sushanna1
    sushanna1 Member Posts: 61
    Options

Jelly and bkj/Ivanna--Welcome back.  Though I am really sorry to hear about the reoccurances.

Sue

(Diagnosed in May 2002, but didn't find this site until later and then lurked for a long time before signing in for the first time. I have fond memories of what a small group we were "back in the olden days.)   

• Doc
    Doc Member Posts: 2
    Options

I am a super old oldbie, came on the site today to check on some stuff for my local support group.  I remember how much help this site was to me during my treatment and what a lifeline it was!  I am glad to see so many familiar faces on the discussion boards.  I am happy and healthy, no recurrence now about 6 years from diagnosis, finished my Tamoxifen and Femara and am now down to one oncologist visit a year. The hardest things in my local support group is to convince women who want to quit chemo to continue it.  Sometimes we are successful, sometimes not.

Doc 

• LJC
    LJC Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thought I'd check in, March 2011 was my 8 yr anniversary.  This July will be my 2nd year on "annual" mammos and onc visits . . . after all those years of 6 mo mammos/onc visits.  So far doing "amazingly well" (in the words of my onc) and hoping to maintain that status.  Hope everyone is doing amazingly well too!

• LJC
    Options

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just find out that our beloved Junie has passed away Aug 1st.  She'd had lung disease (not cancer) and some months ago had surgery to remove a lung.  RIP Junie we love you.

• bak94
    Options

Oh no. Is this the Junie from 2003, 2004? I had to change my name as I forgot my password, I used to be Ivanna and am now dealing with a new primary.

• LJC
    Options

Yes, that's the same Junie.

• bak94
    Options

Lois, so sad to hear about Junie. She was truly a sweet lady.

I am so happy that you are doing so well! Did you go on the Lake Tahoe 2004 trip? My memory is a bit foggy, especially during that time period! I looked through some of the pics, brought back good memories!

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    Options

Hi Laura:  reading all of everyones topics about this disease and the courage all of you have certainly has comfort in itself.  I am a nubie and although I have not been diagnosed with cancer, I have just started my own little battle with atypia cells.  Have just had my second reoccurance and waiting to have it removed.  I have educated myself on this and have read many, many articles on this topic and know what is in store for me in the future.

I wanted to respond to your topic of "where are all the oldies".  Although my mom is not a computer nerd like me, I wanted to share with all you that my mom is a 33 year cancer survivor.  In a time when there were no screenings and drugs she was able to detect her lump.  Biopsy confirmed it was cancer and she had a full mastectomy and her lymph nodes removed.  No chemo or radiation or drugs followed. She has been cancer free ever since.  She still has her yearly mammogram and has MRIs every 2 years for the one breast.  She will always be my insperation because she survivide in a time when the only choice was removel of the breast.  Mom is now 81 years old.

Should my path lead me down this road, it is good to know that there are so many of you who will take the time to support a complete stranger.  For this I thank you.

Linda

• ireland20
    ireland20 Member Posts: 175
    Options

Can I just say, reading these posts has given me renewed hope and energy for the road ahead, I'm still waiting for the CT scan results and hope and pray that I will run a thread like this in 10 years time.  Well done to you all

M.

• denisa
    denisa Member Posts: 8
    Options

i just recommended this site and these boards to a newly diagnosed friend, so i thought i would come back to take a quick peek and see what it looks like now....but the only place i really wanted to come was here, to look for the oldbies.

i was dx'd christmas eve 2002.  i don't know what i would have done without all of you and your support during those dark, freaky, early days. you were my lifeline.

i remember the excitement surrounding the very first two BCO get togethers (vegas and the oyster bar) and was there for the oyster bar, cold spring, mystic, rhinebeck and woodstock get togethers.  it was incredibly special  (does anyone know if they even do the banners anymore?)  back then there were about two thousand of us. now i see it's well over 100,000 members.

each moment has been so precious.

since then, my kids have grown up and graduated college,  one of them got married (with a BCO sister at my daughter's wedding - how cool is that?) and i now have a grandbaby for the first time!  am still in touch with many on FB too.  it is so wonderful to see some of these names still here and i will never forget the names of those who aren't.

thank you all for your strength, and may we all be dancing with NED for the next few decades

denisa

• Jellydonut
    Options

Denisa,

What a heartfelt post.  It gave me chills!

So happy for you and to hear your children have graduated college and now you're a Grandmom!  How very cool.

It gives me comfort too, to come to this post and see so many of us are still here and living our lives.  But, of course, I could never forget all of those beautiful women whose lives were cut short.

Hugs,

Jelly

• tammie
    tammie Member Posts: 13
    Options

Was awesome to read these posts brought back such memories ... I do so miss Sunshine and have lost touch with Pepper...After we lost Sunshine i must confess i didnt come here much..I unfortunately was dx'ed with bone mets last month..I must confess this was the first place i ran to discuss it..Needed help from all my sisters to gain perspective and although the names and faces have changed and the boards seem sooo big i get lost that i still find the most support and insight here..Big hugzz to you all..Tammie

• GryffinSong
    GryffinSong Member Posts: 42
    Options

(((tammie)))

I'm not a very old oldbie, but I'm now almost three years out from my diagnosis. I've just hit the two year mark on tamoxifen, switched off it today to an aromitase inhibitor. denisa, it's great to hear how well things are going for you. :)

• nycmom
    nycmom Member Posts: 7
    Options

What a great topic. I was dx'ed in 2000. I was on the board checking info for a friend.  Shirlann raises a good point: my info is rapidly growing out of date.  I finished tamoxifen. I finished femara.

In fact, my daughter who was 11 and in 6th grade when I was dx'ed is now 22 and a college grad-employed I might add.

I still wear my lymphedema sleeve when I fly or exercise. I replace it every once in a while. I had a second cancer about 5 1/2 yrs ago- a thyroid. And about 5 years ago I electively had my ovaries removed.

Be well.

• sam52
    Options

ncymom....congratulations! You must be one of the 'oldest' oldbies (sorry, I don't mean by chronological age, but by the date you joined bc.org).

Do you mind telling us what your original bc pathology was? (size, grade, hormonal status etc)

Sorry to hear about the second cancer dx - it seems frighteningly common to have thryroid isues after bc treatment.

edited to correct typos