Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Where Are The "Oldbies"?

Options

Comments

• katie-nc
    katie-nc Member Posts: 2
    Options

I had to jump in here.  I used to read and post years ago.  I was diagnosed December 23, 2004.  I am hitting the five year mark, and I think I am getting nostalgic.  So many names I remember, and so sad to hear some are gone.  In some respects it feel like yesterday and in other respects, it feels like it happened to another person, and I was just watching.  Good to see so many people still around!

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    Options

Congrats on the approaching "nickle" year and onward to the "dime:>

• StefS
    StefS Member Posts: 17
    Options

Just popping in to say hello. So great to see all of your names and the good news. It's hard on me to see who all we have lost. Health-wise, I'm doing great. Hard for me to believe it's been 6 years since I was practically living on this boards asking for help and just knowing I wasn't alone.

• Sachi
    Sachi Member Posts: 63
    Options

Hi "oldbies",

One of our wonderful sisters has been placed recently on hospice care. I remember so well when kimmytoo came on the boards a few months after me in '03. She sounded so sweet and young, and was having such a hard time of it. I used to cry for her and all she was going through. She's continued fighting and has now been placed in hopice. i don't know if she'll be able to check the boards. I think she had gotten away from them and was connecting with people more through facebook. Kimmy, if you check in, I am praying for you andyour family. I hope you are at peace.

Barb

• LJC
    LJC Member Posts: 11
    Options

Fumi posted the news about Kimmie on Facebook, I am just so sad over this news, can't stop crying.  We were all "newbies" together.  Sending big {{{HUGS{{{ and prayers to her and her family.

• Sphynx
    Sphynx Member Posts: 17
    Options

Not our Kimmytoo! 

I am sad beyond words.

xxxooo

Nancy

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    Options

That just breaks my heart.

Anne

• normalcani
    normalcani Member Posts: 11
    Options

My heart is breaking as well....  sigh....  just is so sad....  I love her facebook pic with that wonderful smile on her face.....  Cancer Sucks......  She always had a kind word for me and was truly an inspiration while I was going thru my 'stuff'.....  dammit......

• Ltb3105
    Ltb3105 Member Posts: 56
    Options

You see?  This is why I don't frequent this site as much as I did in the beginning when first dx'd.  I know I should come in here more often to offer support to others, but I just wimp out.

Kimmietoo was there when I first came on board and I am overwhelmed with grief right now.  Soo many of our sisters have "wings" now and it breaks my heart.

My prayers go out to her and her family.

xo

• sushanna1
    sushanna1 Member Posts: 61
    Options

Remember Kimmy talking about going up the "crazy tree"?I  She described the emotions associated with scans, biopsies and new aches and pains, in short,  the fears we all face(d) better than anyone.  

• harleyhoney
    harleyhoney Member Posts: 19
    Options

Hey Laura,

I never come here any more but did today because Fumi posted news about Kimmie on facebook and I wanted to pop in and show my support, We were all newbies together way back in 03 and this news just breaks my heart.

Raising a glass for Kimmie that she will not suffer and the passing into the next leg of her journey will be smooth.

• DragonladyTina
    DragonladyTina Member Posts: 58
    Options

Hi everyone, I hardly come on anymore, much like lots of us, I do browse from time to time. Fumi let me know about Kimmy on FB, so sad and heartbreaking news :(

I just passed my 5th year since diagnosis, feels good but bittersweet when you get such sad news as this.

Tina

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    Options

Ladies when am i considered to be"Oldbies?

Sheila

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    Options

I guess to become an oldbie, one must decide that that's what she wants to be.  We have no criteria that I am aware of.  I don't know if it's when you become less teriffied about bc, testing, treatment, etc. or when you decide that ---ok, one more thing done and I'll get thru the next one with the help of my sisters and get along helping a "newbie" who needs me.

Hey, maybe that's it: you decide that you really know enough to help some newbie sister with her questions, anxiety, or give her a laugh. 

What do the rest of you oldbies think?

I keep comming here because of Kimmytoo, and all our other sweet sisters who are having a rought time.  They need to know that some of us are still watching over them and sharing the word about what is going on in each other's lives.  Wish I knew more about Facebook (yes, I'm on there but way too many new things to learn at this stage of my health)  and maybe I could keep up better.

Here's a toast to us all, newbies, oldbies, and angels.

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    Options

I heard about Kimmy on Sachi's thread and have responded there. When I saw her name posted as the title my heart just sank.

On the flip side it is good to see so many names from the past here.....I joined in Oct 2003, two years after my dx (took me awhile to become computer savvy!) My first-ever cyber friend was from the UK too - Lorna from Liverpool...anyone remember her? We are still in touch. In those days,lots of people on the boards went into the chat rooms too ; these days they are always empty when I go in (even allowing for the time difference).

Take care all of you oldbies.....and keep in touch!

Sam x

• Sphynx
    Sphynx Member Posts: 17
    Options

Sachi posted that Kimmytoo got her wings.  It is terribly sad.  I will always remember her and miss her already.

Nancy

• diana50
    diana50 Member Posts: 253
    Options

i have been on the boards since 2003. diagnosed feb 2002. i am coming up on 8 years NED. sadly, i too have seen that some who supported me in the early stages have gotten their wings. i spend a lot of time on Stage III boards to help the newbies and answer questions. 

this site has been so important for so many of us. i recommend it to friends and those diagnosed.

every one take care and hang in

diana

• dressmaker
    dressmaker Member Posts: 4
    Options

I just wanted to drop in and say hello.

As always life is like a rollercoaster. I've been here since 2003 but haven't been here much this past year. I took time to help a very dear friend cross off one of her items on her to do list. We met one day per week and I helped her to make 3 queen size quilts which she left for wedding gifts for her 3 children. They are all 3 absolutely gorgeous and Deb (51)passed away in Sept. just a couple of weeks after we finished the last one!!

Back in April of 09 our first grandchild was born. He has been the light of my life. They live a couple of hours away but I have spent much time with him.

In May, 2 days before my babies high school graduation my father who had Alzheimers for years passed away from Pancreatic cancer. When he got sick he went really fast. He did live a good long life!

On Dec. 31,  I was babysitting my grandson Reagan because his regular sitter took the week off. About 1/2 hour before I was to be done I was coming down the stairs carrying him and don't remember too much other than setting him on the floor right before I hit my head very hard. I was badly bruised and cracked a rib. I am still in alot of pain and will return to my doctor to see what is going on.

That is pretty much what my year has been! Oh how I HATE being an empty nester!!! I think I want to adopt!!! Wish that were possible!

I will now make a point of checking back here more often, it is good to see those of you from 03 who are still here.

Vicky

• Member_of_the_Club
    Member_of_the_Club Member Posts: 263
    Options

I think I posted earlier in this thread but I saw its back and it is good to see old friends.  I'm the class of 2004, about to finish tamoxifen and start an AI.  I never thought I'd live this long (and NED to boot!) and I never thought I'd keep coming to these boards, but there are so many women here I feel I've become friends with.

I think newbies find it encouraging to hear from us.  I know I did way back when.  I exchanged e-mails with a woman who was two and a half years out and it seemed so long, I was so impressed.  And here I am, five and a half years.  Go figure. 

• HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    Options

Wow, I just happened upon this thread.  When I saw it was 7 pages long I went from page one straight to page 7.

Gosh I remember so many of you.  Member, I have fond memories of you.  I don't know if you remember this, but our first exchange of posts had to do with whether or not we do things that might help cause our bc, and you made some comment about sleeping hanging from the ceiling!  I thought that was one of the funniest things I ever read.  I am not here a lot, but when I do come around I really like seeing posts from the olbies.  Obviously there are olbies that are olber than we are!  I definitely remember Iodine, too.  Some screennames just stay with you.  I remember Sphynx, Sprite, Tinkerbell, Harleyhoney.  I was fascinated by the screennames.  I first came on as "Scaredandconfused" and in short order morphed to Happy Trisha, owing to the marvelous support I received on this forum.

Hugs and good wishes to all of the olbies.  You forged the path that helped me and others make it through in style.  Maybe not as much as I should, but I do try to do the same for others here whenever I get the chance. 

Trisha

• HappyTrisha
    Options

Oh yeah, another name that stayed with me is PepperB from Vancouver!  Lucky Pepper, she gets to be around the winter olympics!  (I'm pretty sure she was from Vancouver...)

• HappyTrisha
    Options

Okay so I broke down and read through the entire thread, and all of the names came roaring back.  How I loved the screennames that people used.  Again, the variety fascinated me!

One thing I do miss is the women who were part of my chemo thread (I think it was called Starting Chemo In June 2004).  What wonderful cameraderie those threads were.  I think I will try to see if the thread still exists and maybe send out a PM to each of them.  As with everything else we promised to always stay in touch with each other.  But life intervenes, and it's probably a positive thing that we outgrew the need to hold each other's hands.

Trisha 

Frown

The thread is gone with the wind.

• sprph
    sprph Member Posts: 3
    Options

here, diagnosed 10/03...

• sprph
    sprph Member Posts: 3
    Options

being here is the greatest testament for all who are searching for hope, thank god everyday for this day and present of life.  have had a lot of life happen all around, to people we care about, so just count each day as a gift. hugs to all

• pitanga
    pitanga Member Posts: 18
    Options

Hi all,

I actually started with BC0 in 2000, when I was doing chemo for my first diagnosis. Back then there was no discussion forum. In 2001 I stopped coming -- I did not want to hear the word cancer anymore, and I was working on my PhD dissertation and every extra ounce of energy went to that.

In 2003, I started having  SEs from Tamoxifen and so I returned to BCO and discovered the discussion forums. The following year the boards were re-formatted and my log-in info stopped working, so I re-registered, which is why the registration date that shows for me is 2004. At a certain point there was a lot of squabbling going on, which was a drag and so once again I stopped coming. But in the beginning of 2009 when I was diagnosed with a local recurrence and mets. I had a mastectomy in March of last year. So far I am a "lucky" metster --only one metastasis and it is in my bones (cervical spine). Bone mets are more treatable than other kinds.

I remember many of your names from way back when but am hazy on a lot of details. For several years after finishing chemo my mind was still pretty fuzzy. But it´s nice to know that y´all are still around.

Lisa 

• carmelle
    carmelle Member Posts: 133
    Options

Dropping in to say Hi. Come back once and a while to bump the Success Stories thread but don't do too much reading. So many women. Sad about Kimmytoo & Geeta. Michelle

• Ltb3105
    Ltb3105 Member Posts: 56
    Options

I am still kickin'.  Just got a good review from my last checkup.  Have to go back in six months.  How the hell IS everyone?

Love to all,

Laura

• shorfi
    shorfi Member Posts: 437
    Options

Doing great. Scheduled to have bilateral breast MRI on May 6th. I too remember many of the names and its great to see many of us are still around. How encouraging that must be for the newly diagnosed ones.

Hugs to all

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

Hi everyone...nine years and counting for me...I just hate looking at the list of angels..but it is nice to see everyone here...

I am taking more time to smell the roses...now with a camera...

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    Options

Carmelle, hello! You had that thread about nice things people said or did for us -- I always appreciated that so much. Sometimes it's just a word or a moment's eye contact that can lift us when we're most vulnerable. I'm nine years out, and I still melt when I think of the people -- many of them strangers -- who took the chill out of my heart when I was struggling with treatment.

And you're one of them! Thanks!
    Binney