Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited December 2011

I haven't heard any news about Adey, I wonder if Dr. M is still working on her.  Anyone hear anything yet?

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

I will start on estradiol. Will insist on leaving with ambien RX. I had major insomnia after stage 1. Two ambien barely touched it but did get me more rest than I was getting so that is probably my most immediate fear. Thanks for any menopause advice!

Yep, momma, call on in. I am sorry you are worrying yet reassured that I am not neurotic. I think this board helps us all see how common these worries are and how hard it is to get someone not in the situation (like a hubby) to get the intensity.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited December 2011

Michelle.. there is a sense of being in a protective cocoon while in the hospital.. I think we ALL have a moment of panic when we leave. Its normal. My first day out, I passed out in the shower and awoke in the arms of my friend with blood in the shower, on the floor... and it was all fine. So, relax girl friend!!!!

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Betsy you are so right on...protective cocoon!

When Dr. M came to see me she was in the emiddle of Adey's surgery. I didnt ask as I know she couldnt tell me. I will text Adey now and let u know if I hear back....prob tomorrow. I plan to see her when I go for my post op. She seemed pretty excited when we met on Monday. Another beautiful cancer survivor full of love!

Check in with u all in the morn.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Rest up and RELAX...

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited December 2011

Michelle - you cracked me up about your husband. They try...

How is the cooler breast doing? I think mine were not always equal in heat in the beginning...but it's good to keep an eye on these things...and after all you've been through I think they understand if you're very conscientious about how you're doing. The staff and doctors have seen worse, I can assure you!  Hang in there.

• Fight-like-a-girl
    Fight-like-a-girl Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2011

Adey: you are in my prayers for great results and no pain.

Michelle: yes, husbands can be sooooooo irritating - I totally get it. That is why everyone on this thread are so great!

You all are so brave - I am nervous and excited for surgery. Thanks for all your posts.

Kathy

• nowords
    nowords Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2011

My pre-op blood work showed red blood cells in the urine which the Dr. said means that there may be internal bleeding somewhere...the ekg from today had issues...the one from pre op stage 1 was fine...this one reads that I may have had a "silent heart attack" but the Dr. cleared me for surgery and wants me to follow up with cardio after surgery. Dr. thinks the reading may not be right...hard to tell...little nerve wracking at this point, but I am headed to NOLA and glad to be leaving the MN icy cold. I will try and have dinner with AnneW while there, we are in the same hotel and I am 8 a.m. at Fairway and she is after me - both with Dr. Marga...

I will have hubby post on the other side...

Welcome all new comers...you have made a wise choice going to these great Docs....artistry of plastics only overshadowed by the compassion that they have for all in our situation. Love love love that I found them....many thanks to this board and all the fine ladies here...

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2011

nowords, lots and lots of reasons for red blood cells in the urine. My hubby has them all the time, and his work ups are always negative for infection, malignancy, etc. Most common for women are infection and hormone imbalances. I strongly doubt internal bleeding, without other significant symptoms!!

Have a safe trip. If I don't see you at the hotel tomorrow, I'll see you at the hospital friday night!

• louis13
    louis13 Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2011

Amy, well put " artistry of plastics only overshadowed by the compassion that they have for all in our situation."...

Michelle, hang in there, you will do fine..and you cracked me up too about your hubby..looking forward to hearing about Adrienne, and good luck to all those coming up next! 

for some reason have had massive headache since my flight..panicked a little about blood clots but think just sinus thing coming back to NYC where it is unseasonably muggy..am finding the compression garment experience curious...most of the time fine, and then randomly i feel so claustrophobic, just want to rip it off ...6 weeks for optimum results? geez..also, each time i have put on a new dom have got itchy all over again..so think there is something to be said for washing them first, not that you get a chance in the beginning, Rosemary

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited December 2011

Ditto, Amy, VERY well put " artistry of plastics only overshadowed by the compassion that they have for all in our situation."... Only wish the doctors could hear these sentiments and know how deeply they impact our lives ...

Only a week to go. Will anyone be in NOLA on the 19th or 20th or will I have the entire hospital to myself? LOL! Worried about the extent of the work that needs to be done, but I think I will do as many have suggested -- make my list and just sit there and cross off everything as Dr. D. comes to those thoughts himself ... and adds a few more. We are in SUCH good hands!

So, if I don't post before, be prepared for a drug-induced messed up message after surgery!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Need2New, added your January date! Welcome to the "Club"!!

Anybody here from Adey??

Friday surgeries!! Looks like Dr. Marga is going to be busy at Fairway!  Good luck to Amy and Anne! 

Dec 9 - NoWords (Amy) - Stage 2 with Dr. M. at Fairway in NOLA. 

Dec 9 - AnneW - Stage 3 (a.k.a. 2b), Dr. M, at Fairway, NOLA.  

• Momma2four
    Momma2four Member Posts: 133
    edited December 2011

Hi all....unfortunately I don't have an update on Adey as I am back in the hospital. Had surgery on the flap that was cooler and discolored and docs found a twisted blood vessel.  I was given a blood thinner then a blood transfusion.   Now I am being watched like a hawk in hospital.   Will be here for another week.  Surgery again tomorrow to wash out any excess blood.  If it fails then I will have to have a DIEP for that part of my breast. .   I pray it won't get to that.  So much for showing Joe NOLA;(. Booh hooh

Michelle

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited December 2011

Oh, Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear that!! That's so scary, but hang in there. You're in THE best place for handling complications.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!!

• Del11
    edited December 2011

Oh, Michelle, sorry to hear that. I'm glad you got help though, sounds like you caught it in time.  Dr. M is probably as stressed about it as you are.  For both your sakes I hope it pulls through with flying colors. Soon!

• cider8
    cider8 Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Michelle, good thing you trusted your instincts!  I hope this flap will be just fine; I'll say prayers for you.  Now we may get a chance to meet!  My preop is next Wed.  Hang in there.  You are in great hands.

• bdavis
    edited December 2011

Michelle... I am sorry you are back in for surgery... I had a BMX and hip flaps and then went home... had a problem and came back for DIEP... sounds like you were paying attention to your body and got it resolved without leaving... Yay for small things. I didn't have a failed flap, but a leaky incision that would not heal. THE GOOD NEWS is, I am now 4.5 months post BMX/Hip flaps and 3.5 months post DIEP and all is good... The doctors will fix you up!!!!

• need2new
    need2new Member Posts: 165
    edited December 2011

Michelle,

I will pray to the flap gods for you!  Thankfully you were still there and caught the twisted vessel early. 

Good Luck,

Karen 

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

Thinking of you Adey!

Michelle: Thanks for the laugh -- Funny but unfortunately so so true!  I'm not sure they CAN get it though I do think they try.  Don't worry about venting here -- you're with your soul mates, here.

So ladies, guess what I discovered?  I was a bit confused when the Center had me pre-pay $300 for my upcoming tats and then received a notice that my insurance company was going to cover them. Since it was my understanding that the total price was $300, I asked the Center if I would be getting a refund.  They said no -- that the cost was  $300 for EACH breast but the insurance company will only pay for ONE tat a day!!  What in the heck??!!?    So the $300 is to pay for the 2nd non-covered tat.  I'm sorry but that pisses me off -- what's up with the insurance company only covering one tit.  Give me a break!  If I have time this week before we leave, I'm going to challenge this.  It's not even about the money -- it's the insanity of it all.  Good grief!!

• need2new
    edited December 2011

Thank you Springtome Anne! I will be staying at the Clarion Boutique for the 2 days before surgery and the Hilton Homestead ? Suites after. Is there any other late Jan. folks floating around? I wanted to do Jan. 5th but could not get my support team in place that quickly.

Karen 

• need2new
    edited December 2011

I am trying to read all the back posts and got to page 455. Is there anyway to jump there without hitting the "previous" button?

Thnx 

• Del11
    edited December 2011

need2new: see the URL in your browser's address bar?  there's a part at the end that says ?page=472.... just change 472 to 455 and delete the rest of the URL, then press enter.  There might be a more direct way, but I just tried that and it works.

• need2new
    edited December 2011

Thank you jeskachi! That will save a bunch of time. I am amazed at the amount of wisdom collected here. This site helped me make my decision. 

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited December 2011

Michelle,  Good call on noticing the change in your breast!  I am glad you are back at the hospital, even though I know you would rather be out seeing the sights.  But you are in good hands, so here's to full and swift healing!

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited December 2011

Michelle - Sorry to hear that you hadto go back to the OR. Sending you healing thoughts, I hope that the flap survives.

• KBodie
    KBodie Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2011

I'm sorry too Michelle. Wow, good thing you were so aware. I'll be there next week. Maybe see ya, hopefully you will be feeling better.

• kathrynla
    edited December 2011

Michelle - so glad you caught it before you were off somewhere inconvenient and needed to come back. The doctors will get you in to 'fighting' shape in no time!

Need2new - My stage 1 was January 20th, 2011. I think January is an excellent time to be there...the doctors are rested from their holidays and they're schedules don't seem to be jam packed. That said, I'm sure the schedule will fill up with some more women on this board. It's great to have some surgery buddies there at the same time. 

• kathrynla
    edited December 2011

dbdaze - they said one tat per day (what the?) What if you did one tat on one day, and do the other the next? Would they then cover both? So weird. Maybe you should call the insurance direclty for clarification.

• dbdaze
    dbdaze Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2011

Michelle: Oh my goodness -- so sorry you're having problems but glad it was caught early.  You can rest assured knowing they are "watching you like a hawk" -- so just hunker down and get some much needed rest.  Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way.

• Del11
    edited December 2011

Adey--we're thinking of you!  drop us a note when you can