Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

beatmon- I plan on making some cookies soon now that I can eat them. I can justify the protein in peanut butter blossom cookies 🍪

Native Me- I always love hearing from you 💕

El- omg does that lookssore! How can you massage it?? Would hurt like hell. I feel ok tonight but a bit nervous how I will feel tomorrow

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

The birds they sang

at the break of day
    Start again
    I heard them say
    Don't dwell on what
    has passed away
    or what is yet to be.
    Ah the wars they will
    be fought again
    The holy dove
    She will be caught again
    bought and sold
    and bought again
    the dove is never free.
    Ring the bells that still can ring
    Forget your perfect offering
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in.
    We asked for signs
    the signs were sent:
    the birth betrayed
    the marriage spent
    Yeah the widowhood
    of every government --
    signs for all to see.
    I can't run no more
    with that lawless crowd
    while the killers in high places
    say their prayers out loud.
    But they've summoned, they've summoned up
    a thundercloud
    and they're going to hear from me.
    Ring the bells that still can ring ...
    You can add up the parts
    but you won't have the sum
    You can strike up the march,
    there is no drum
    Every heart, every heart
    to love will come
    but like a refugee.
    There is a crack, a crack in everything
    There is a crack, a crack in everything

Minus, you remembered!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,307

Tomboy - so glad I'm not crazy and it was in fact you. Thanks for posting all the lyrics. Always worth reading again. One thing I learned from chemo - and by continually revisiting this song - is that I can't always do a perfect offering anymore. So I learned to quit beating myself up - metaphorically of course - when I fall short of perfection.

Has anyone else read the Louise Penny series about Inspector Gamache in Quebec? One of the book titles was "How the Light Gets In".

DianaRose - so glad the numbers are coming up - slowly but surely.

Eli - did they say you could use Mederma? Or some other scar cream?

• Dianarose

I have an embarrassing situation that maybe someone can help me with. Since losing all the weight I also lost all muscle. No control of my bladder 😬. Got up at 4 to pee and didn't even make it to the bathroom which is a short trip. To make matters worse it is only pee from one kidney as the right side goes in the bag. Any suggestions?

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

Elimar--I'm sure the scar will flatten out and fade as it heals.Good plan to keep it out of the sun --I bet a sunscreen stick will be really helpful for that.Not sure what to say about the crookedness, maybe it won't be so crooked when the swelling completely resolves?

Diana--glad you are feeling up to cooking!For the urine leakage try doing Kegel exercises:

Pelvic floor muscle training

Pelvic floor (Kegel) exercises can help strengthen some of the muscles that control the flow of urine. These exercises are used to treat urge or stress incontinence. To do Kegel exercises:

• Squeeze the same muscles you would use to stop your urine. Your belly and thighs should not move.
    • Hold the squeeze for 3 seconds, then relax for 3 seconds.
    • Start with 3 seconds, then add 1 second each week until you are able to squeeze for 10 seconds.
    • Repeat the exercise 10 to 15 times a session. Do three or more sessions a day.

Kegel exercises can be done when you are at home or away from home. They can be done at any time of day. No one will be aware that you are doing the exercises. So you can do them often, no matter where you are.

From <http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/behavioral-methods-for-urinary-incontinence>

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Goodmorning Diana glad to hear you are feeling better and things are looking good.......

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Eli- Mederma on the scar worked good for me, it's easy to apply and rub in. I used it on all my scars they flattened and faded...Good Luck!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Tomboy, always enjoyed the L. Cohen lyrics, but have to admit that I preferred others singing them.

Dianarose, Stupid me! I didn't even realize that with that bag on, you still had to pee out normally from the other kidney. I do hear you about the muscle wasting. You can SEE it on other parts of the body, buy then there are the parts you can't see that find a way to let you know that they have wasted too. My bladder took a hit from chemo and rads both and I had a transient "coughing problem" for a short while but it resolved. Give the Kegel exercises a try and I hope they will be of help.

--------------------------------------------------

Right now, I am massaging Neosporin over my scar line, but in another day will switch to something else. I've tried Mederma before and it's fine but I don't know that it has superior properties. I'm too lazy and cheap to go out and get that again, so will probably alternate with Vit. E oil, cocoanut oil, baby oil, and a few random lotions. As long as it is moisturized and kept out of the sun, I should be good. Supposed to keep it out of the sun for a year. Never had to worry about that with BC scarring. The massaging should help get the remaining fluid out and flatten it down too. I have already been stretching it like a giraffe because YOU KNOW how our scarred areas tighten up. So, that is no different than our BC scars.

I looked on the internet and there were some pics of scars like mine after 2 weeks that already looked almost invisible. Well, I know I'm not that precocious to heal in two weeks time, but I'm going to put one more pic on here at that point and we will see how I am doing.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Dianarose, what about a maxi pad?

• elimar

Barbe, Let me ask you this: Since I was mentioning surgical scarring and the need to stretch to avoid "tightening up..." Your first time around, you had extensive surgery and, since scar tissue is less elastic, you must have noticed a tightening on both sides BUT did your one side get WORSE now because you had radiation? What I am getting at is, how much of the tightening is surgical and how much does the rads add to it? Just wondering. I am still tight in my SNB/armpit region and I still stretch it out every day.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Eli, first of all, that scar makes you look like a total bad-ass. If people mention it, just allude to a bad bar fight at a road house in Alabama.

As for rads, I had BMX, but only rads on one side. There is a major difference between the two sides. The non-rads side has healed up nicely and the scar is pale and thin. On the rads side, it is permanently tight and red. There are small red dots along the scar line, and the skin is so thin that I have to be careful not to scratch it.

• Dianarose

Thanks for the advice ladies. Going to try the exercises.

Barbe- did pick up pads, been awhile since I had to do that😬.

Doing ok on the three chemos. Just an upset tummy at times and mild body aches. Go tomorrow for blood work to see if I will need another transfusion but can't really complain given the situation.

El- I always poked a hole in a vitamin E capsule and applied right on my incision and minimal scaring and a couple I can't even find now

• Dianarose

El- Emu oil works great to

• barbe1958

El I had this cute little vibrating battery operated bug-like thing with legs that I would sit for hours vibrating along my scar line and muscles as I healed. I also had my DH massaging Glaxol Base into my scar line for weeks. He got used to my scar before I did. Rads hasn't tightened anything up as I did the same procedure immediately following treatment and nightly.

• Dianarose

Another transfusion this afternoon

• nativemainer

Scared

• Dianarose

hair is falling out today. Sucks! F'n cancer!!!

• barbe1958

Awwww, hugs sweetie. Insult to injury....

• elimar

Dianarose. Bad chemo pun: Hair today, gone tomorrow. You were smart to have the wigs ready.

As if that pun was not bad enough, I'm sure you all saw this coming...

• Dianarose

Too funny.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

This is not meant to be political. It is not a comment on the election. It is only to show, that our favorite snack made the joebama memes:

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338

Joe........Hilarious!

• barbe1958

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHHAhhaahBababoth of them!!!!!

• elimar

LOL. Is that photo from the time they slow danced to "At Last?"

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,307

Eli - so how long did you have to search for the perfectly shaped cheeto?

• barbe1958

Minus elimar did not look for the Cheeto. It found her! That's the way it goes.

• nativemainer

Diana--$#i! on the hair loss, already.So no fair.

El--LOL!!!

Momine-- Groooaaaannnn:)

• Dianarose

I managed to sleep till 4:30 today which is big lately. Once I am awake my stomach kicks in in within 20 minutes Mother Nature is calling if you know what I mean. Not complaining though I am eating soft foods including well chewed meat. I have gained two pounds, hurray!!!

• elimar

My scar creams have been, in order so far, Neosporin, cocoanut oil, Vi.t E oil, and then my husband said, "I don't know about Vit. E oil, you should use something like aloe vera." Duh! How could I forget that my go-to lotion for rads would also be perfect for an unsightly neck scar? It is the most soothing on that area too. (But yesterday a little Cheeto dust did cling to it.) And, Barbe, you are so right.

MT, I haven't met a puffed Cheeto that was not extruder-shaped perfect. Now, those gnarly "deep fried to a crackly crunch" mutation are another matter.

Dianarose, Weight gain is a BIG VICTORY. Hopefully as your bodily system starts to normalize again, the sleep cycle will fall into place too. Still liking your new oncologist? What is the plan now? I mean, are the two chemos going to be your regular maintenance from now on? What's up with the mass they biopsied? Is the chemo supposed to shrink it (and is the intention to remove that at some point?) Finally, what's the timeline of wearing the bag?

• Dianarose

El- yes I still like the new oncologist. I am on three chemos A/C and Toxal. The biopsies were used for the sensitivity testing. So far there are six chemos that came back likely to work. Based on that she might change the chemos. Go for chemo Friday so will find out then. Will probably have a scan at the end of December to see if the ureter is freed up to be able to pass urine. There are really no tumors to remove. Good old lobular just costs everything. Tumor marker was 198 and after two weeks of chemo only down to 195 which didn't surprise me because treatment can make them go up before they come down. I actually made some cookies today just to feel normal, whatever that is