MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Nebraskagrandma
    Nebraskagrandma Member Posts: 137

Hello to you all ! my "Middles"

I went to work today and had been away from the site since yesterday sometime, whew ! did I have alot of reading to catch up ! You have all been busy, but I see we are still talking about two things in particular.........food and the weather Laughing

Welcome newbies !

and congrats to everyone with good news...............Smile

I left work today and went over to the PS office (across the street) for 30 minutes for an incision ck. It's coming along pretty good so far, I just have two spots left on it that needed attention. Maybe 1 more week of wet to dry packs and we'll be done.

Closing for now, I'm exhusted Frown

Blessings my friends !

• ReneeJean
    ReneeJean Member Posts: 21

Yes, I agree...I wish we had more to talk about in the sex department, but go with what you got...and we all have....wait for it....weather AND food!!!!  LOL.   Of course, I am hearing that food will not be on my agenda for a few days after tomorrows chemo...oh well....back to the weather...tee hee.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

ReneeJean, I don't know if if it was normal, but I didn't get the nausea for a few of days after my first chemo.  In fact I always had chemo on Wednesdays, and I remember having a friend over the Friday following my first tx and we had one of my favorite meals, before I developed and aversions to any food.  Speaking of aversions...I was given popsicles when they injected the Adriamycin, it was supposed to help keep down the mouth sores, and I never had any.  The red Adriamycin adn the popsicles left me with an aversion to popsicles and to red koolaid.  I still have issues to this day about both.  I was also given lavender flavored lollipops to quell nausea and I have never felt the same about smelling lavender since.  Anyone else have this happen?

• Dustysmom
    Dustysmom Member Posts: 20

...still thinking...are fills with TE much of a bother?  I may be romanced into moving from a B to a full C from an implant vs the DIEP.  My DH, said read up as much as I can to see which is the better way to proceed.  So I am open to any opinions

Meece - I failed to send along the congrats on the b9!!!!!  WTG.  Speaking of food aversions...I cannot stomach apple juice after having "every 2 year" colonoscopy preps...I see apple juice and it just won't pass these lips...fortuneately, I can enjoy hot cider!  Yeah, for me.  It is cider time, actually cool enough to wear long sleeves.  Only 77 today.

I love this thread.  It is like going over to a friend's house...always feeling like you can get right back into the conversation, you know, no awkward feelings.

I am definitely going to the fair this weekend.  I can't seem to miss the "hot dog on a stick" and fresh squeezed lemonade.  No matter what else I try, I have to have the "dog" first.  Deep fried butter??? Are you kidding?  I felt bad about the deep fried platter of zucchini, carrots and avocado.

Kleenex- try bleu cheese crumbles melted on a burger.  Or my favorite restaurant, the "Claim Jumper" has a California Citrus Salad that has bleu cheese, chopped iceberg, golden raisins, diced grannysmith apples, mandarin oranges, avocado, candied pecans, dried cranberries, with a zesty citrus dressing. My favorite...it is a taste-explosion in every bite.

Barbe-my MIL makes angel food cakes from a mix...regular angel food pan, after it comes out of the oven the pan is inverted over a "pop" type bottle for a time.  It is so light and fluffy, and not too sweet like the store-bought type.  I tried the silicon oven mit an got burned...now I know from you not to attempt the baking pans.

ReneeJean- hopefully the chemo isn't too rough. We are all here for you!

Take care all you Middies!

NIKKI

• ReneeJean
    ReneeJean Member Posts: 21

Meece...funny, I still have things I gag over from being preggo...I was a daily puker with all 3 kids and some things still set me off and my youngest is almost 18!!  So, I am sure I will develop some aversions to things during this treatment!   LOL....and I HATE gatorade and all of the electrolyte drinks but am trying to get some down since I am drinking so much water and don't want to dilute my sodium too much. 

Thanks Nikki....I know it will be okay once I get through this first one.  The anticipation in this journey is the worst.    

Have a great day everyone. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Renee Jean, watch the carbohydrate levels in sports drinks! They aren't really good for you...

I got a lot of advice on making ange food cakes in PMs thanks! I think I'll just buy them from now on....sigh.

• Nebraskagrandma

I've had such an uncomfortable 24 hrs. yuck............................ I'm so tired of this and I haven't been through 1/2 as much as most of you. I feel like such a whiner !Sealed

Love ya all,

Blessings all around !Innocent

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

PM's? Were they SECRET angel food cake recipes? Were people afraid that since I mentioned BUYING angel food cake and seem to have a fondness for dangerous fried foods that perhaps I wouldn't be worthy of the knowledge of how to successfully MAKE angel food cake?!

No, Tamoxifen isn't making me paranoid and sensitive. Why do you ask? Sealed

It's okay. I'm over it. I'll go on buying it. It's fabulous with chocolate fondue.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Nebraskagrandma, I don't think there is a woman on here who doesn't feel worn down by their Dx and everything that follows.  Mentally, we try to get a grip on it and deal with it.  Emotionally, lots of issues to sort through.  Physically, it's draining not to mention we have to adjust to our new body images.  I was going to say B/C is like twice the roller coaster with none o' the fun, but rollercoasters are too cool and I don't want to link them with the bummer that is cancer.  So then I got to thinking about that other carnival ride where you spin around real fast getting dizzy & nauseous, are forced into the wall and the floor drops out beneath you (I've certainly had THAT B/C moment,)  and you better not barf cause it'll just fly back into your own face.  Stop the ride, I wanna get off!!!  Yeah, that's breast cancer alright.
  • indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136

Here! Here! Elimar-what an accurate description! I wish my skills of communication were so effective!

Been off the boards for a minute....(and several hundred posts)... Meece, Glassist-congrats; Elimar-glad that rads has not been so bad and hoping that the boosts are tolerable.

Kleenex--"guinea pig whisperer" !! Ha, Ha, hee, hee.....I'll probably give in but not before making them squirm, clean, beg, etc. (the kids that is!)  I had 2 when I was a kid (as well as rats, mice, hamsters, etc from my mother's science class).  I although I inherited her love of science, I'm not big on critters (and their upkeep). And, I understand exactly what you mean about the kids/grandkids/and alone time............

Deep fried BUTTER???......OK, maybe not. And I'll also have to remove cherry popsicles from my list after Meece's association to Adriamycin. Ughhh! Two more to go....

Can't stay away so long..to much to review. At this stage in my life, I don't need to miss a single laugh...

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Elimar, I agree there are days I want to stop the world and get off but we have to deal with the changes this disease makes in our lives.  We have to live with it and the side effects. Hope all keep strong and realise we are going to have our bad days but hopefully the good ones make all the bad worthwhile.

Barbe I don't know about silicone pans but I do know if you do not follow the package insrtuctions on angel food cake they don't turn out.  I like the one step ones myself but boughten ones are good too. Don't give up!!

• barbe1958

Gave up....sigh.

DH took the pan back today while I was at work. I'm done.

• Mazy1959
    Mazy1959 Member Posts: 254

Renee,

I  could barely eat while on chemo..whether it was the day of chemo or 2 weeks later. Also I was sick 9 months with each of my kids as well. LOL...Most people dont get sick until day 3 or 4 from what I hear.

• Meece

Kleenex, the PMs were not because the tricks of the trad were secret, they were because I hadn't reached my 50 posts yet and didn't have any more posts available!  I guess I was cheating Wink.  I did suggest that barbe go buy a grocery store cake and put it in the silicone pan and just pretend.  The basic hint of angelfoods are to make sure you never uses the pan on anything other than angelfoods, never let oil of any kind touch the pan, and keep the whisk or beaters free of oils as well.

Maybe I shouldn't have exposed what we talked about...it would leave an allure of mystery to the ellussive perfect angel food cake!

• Mazy1959
    Mazy1959 Member Posts: 254

Cofession.....when I am too tired or busy to make a dish to take to  a gethering..i buy something in the deli and put it in my own dish..LOL

• Dustysmom
    Dustysmom Member Posts: 20

Speaking of cake...I need to make cupcakes for my son's birthday party at Preschool on Friday.  His actual birthday is Sunday,  He will be 4!  He is so excited.  He wants to be "big" so he can go on the "Indiana Jones" ride at Disneyland.  You have to be 46 inches and he is only 43.  It is amazing how he puts my life into prospective.  I am going to get through all of this for him.  He counts on me to be his hero.  I don't want him to have memories of having a sick mommy.  God please grant me strength.  I just want to speed through all of this.  I still have to make the decision regarding Reconstruction...implants or flaps...how can I possibly make the decision?

OK, I am sorry...I need to get off the pity wagon.  Now!

NIKKI

• barbe1958

NIkki, there is NO pity wagon here. It is LIFE. Laughing So you don't have to get off nothin'!

Meece, my new secret! Surprised

• Meece

Barbe, Were all breast-sisters here, I'm sure none of the others will spill our secret!

Okay, girls shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• carolinachick
    carolinachick Member Posts: 135

elimar - Love the description!  And I agree - roller coasters are much too fun to be associated with bc.  The nausea associated with the spinning ride seems appropriate.

Dustysmom - Four year old boys are one of life's biggest blessings.  My boys are now 19 and 21, and I remember that age so well.  I'm now a "lunch buddy" with a first-grader in the school district that I work for, and he is so much fun.  Enjoy your little guy's birthday and know that he will do just fine.  And yes, you are entitled to that pity party every once in a while.

• elimar

For those who love the metaphor as much as I do...Here's something I read last night, courtesy of member MTG:

"I feel like my right breast has become an independent entity, almost a very demanding, cholicy, disagreebale infant - feed it by moisturizing, change it by wearing comfortable clothes and frequently switching into less sticky tees, take it to the doctor, coddle it and focus many, many conversations on it.  Real infants are cute; there's nothing cute about this. Aargh !"

Too true, MTG!
  •  Good  morning, Ladies,   I just wanted to tell you that I am now really looking forward to turning 60.  Am in Houston TX right now and have finished with my appts at MD Anderson and am going to resume taking Aromasin as opposed to the chemo my onco in OH wanted me to do.  The onco here specializes in hormonal treatment and BC cancer that is not responsive to chemo.  I did respond to chemo, but it was killing me with all the  SEs.  Perhaps this will not work, but he thinks it will and if not has a list of other treatments to try and the best thing is he says I have TIME to do this. In the past I responded very favorably to AIs.  I came here feeling like I was at the end of the line since my onco was quite insistent that I stay with the same family of chemo I had been on.  He said he would only recommend that if I had 9 toes in the grave and when I hesitantly asked how many I did have in the grave he told me Oh you are nowhere near there.  You can imagine how that immediately took a huge weight off of my shoulders.  So tonight when I am having my margarita I will make a toast to aging and one to all of you on these boards who have always given me hope and support.  

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

<<<Smile HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU Smile>>>

Cool SHEILA

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Boy would I like to taste some of these cakes you are all talking about.Congrats to glass and meece one more treatment over the shoulder.

I just had my second mast so no more mamos for me.Aside from staples and drains I am feeling fine. Who is the one with the birthday I missed it?

• sheila888

Marybe's 60th birhday

• Oh no, you haven't missed it yet....I just said I am looking forward to it.  I am now a mere 59 3/4....wont hit the big 60 until  Dec. 23....I am going to have a big party in Jan since people are too busy with Xmas and company that time of year.  I will be sure to invite you all.  

• sheila888

<SORRY>  ABOUT THE CONFUSION , YOUR LAST LOGIN WAS OCTOBER 1ST NOT YOUR BIRTHDAY. I DELETED MY 2 POSTS

Innocent SHEILASealed

• elimar

Rads # 27 -- "he's no Picasso"

Finished up the regular Tx yesterday and have now moved into the realm of "boosts."  Most of you know that this requires all new (Green Sharpie) markings.  I can finally scrub off the crosshair markings because now I have some new artwork on my chest.  The oval drawing slightly resembles a 2-D segment of pear cactus or maybe a pin cushion since it has some dot markings inside the oval.  My doctor, with his crude line drawing, may have been trying to invoke the (non-existent) "green period" of Picasso.  

• Nebraskagrandma

Hello my friends,

elimar,

Thanks for your words of wisdom Smile You have such a way with words, so descriptive ! I'm better now.

Marybe,

I am also 59, I will be 60 in Febr. I am thrilled that you have found such great news in Texas. What a lesson for everyone about never giving up and seeking a second opinion.

Blessings all,

• Meece

Elimar,

I love to mention to people, when the topic of tatoos comes up, that I have six.  I then proceed to tell them about my heart, butterfly, angel, etc..  People look at me in amazement because I don't appear to be a tatooed woman.  I th en show them the one that wouldn't embarrass any of us and tell them I had a skilled "miniature tattoo artist" do the work, and you have to get a microscope to see the detail.  Two of the tats have disaapeared completely.  But as for the sharpie art, I remember it well.  The radiologist further permatized them (at least for the boosts) by adhereing a clear film over them so there would be no mistakedly washing it off.  Like I wanted to scrub that hard on my tender-ized breast!

You are almost there girl.  Keep a smile on your face!

• elimar

I think it was on one of the rads threads, when the topic turned to tattoos vs. markers, someone suggested the henna tattoos.  I believe the henna lasts for a few weeks, so maybe it would only need 1-2 touch ups.  That would have been a nice compromise option, durable yet not permanent, but I have not heard of that ever being offered.  I would have went for it.

Meece, I hope your friends recognize true tattoo genius when they see it. Your doctor was clearly a master, not like my Art School drop-out!  As for the tattoos disappearing, don't be so sure.  Maybe it was theft!  There is a black market for this kind of thing.  Watch for them to resurface the next time Christie's auctions off some miniatures!  ;-)