Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Eli how do we get to middle aged memories?

• marlegal

I know many of you also post on the "beach" site, but for those who don't, i was at the NJ beach today and remembered how Faith used to write in the sand sooo much for all of us. she doesn't come to this site much anymore ... reasons unknown ... but in her honor, I post this picture. Faith, know that we love and miss you on this thread. It would be a cool reason for a party to have you join us again, but till then, here's my beach shot for you  buddy.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I can't make out some of those lines in the sand.  Is the last word "beachettes" or ???

Mar,  the link to Middle Aged Memories is right in my post up above.  If it's not working, let me know.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

sandee - I can't tell you what a phobia I have about swallowing large pills. In fact, a neighbor - an older woman - DIED from choking on her pill, so that REALLY made it into a huge thing for me. You should see the big glass of tea I have in front of me before I take any pills. And then I have to follow them with a cracker to make sure they're down. I would be at the ER in a heartbeat if I felt like I was choking. Always, always go!

And the knick on your knuckle - that's another thing that's so important and we just don't pay enough attention to that. I went to Home Depot about 2 weeks ago looking for flowers, and by the time I got home I realized I had 3 spider bites! 2 on my feet, but one on my knuckle on my right hand, my affected side. I was so worried about that spider bite - it never turned red, but it was hard as a rock and as big as a bee-bee. Just today I noticed that it's finally going away, but I self-treated it with everything I could think of. From now on, I'm wearing gloves when I go pick out flowers! Oh, and the other day I saw an old pet food dish on the ground and thought, "I better pick that up because rain will collect in it and attract mosquitoes." Well, I'm right-handed, used my right hand to pick up the dish, and underneath it was a coiled foot-long copperhead! I screamed and dropped it and it slithered away. I'm just soooooo grateful it didn't strike me, because that would have been a hospital visit for sure!

I remember my BS told me to always wear gloves when doing yard work, don't get pricked by a rose or anything.....but I don't remember that when I actually need to be careful. Here in my heavily wooded forest, with strange bugs all around me, I feel like I need to go outside dressed in armor. 

• marlegal
    HNS, you should definitely wear protective garb outside ... pleeeeaaasaassssseeew@@!1 
  • valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

I was right! As soon as I saw that picture at the top, elimar, I knew it was from the Pictured Rocks here in MI. I have been on that boat tour & the rock formations are stunning. Very beautiful. The colors are amazing & the water is always so colorful. We used to go camping in the U.P. for many a vacation & now my DD#2 lives 35-40 mins from Munising,which is where the boat tour begins. We drive through there several times a year.  

Hello to all the newbies. So glad you have found us.

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

Heartnsoul - as long as your meds are not time released, you can always crush them with 2 spoons and take with applesauce, yogurt, etc.... 

We were told by a rad onc for my father, who was diagnosed yesterday with throat cancer and having difficulties swallowing anything!  He was able to take his advil yesterday with yogurt this way. 

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Heartnsoul, MY heart would have stopped beating if I saw that snake!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the heck do you live?????????? Both our boys worked in grocery stores in their late teens and told us of the spiders and lizards that come in the fruit!! I work in home furnishings and sometimes huge spiders come in rolled up rugs...............eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I rememebr steering clear of gardening during chemo.  It was hard to do, but I didn't want to risk it.  I am highly allergic to certain weeds and most bugs.  My arms are so scarred from gardening.  My FDIL says I should wear long sleeves and gloves whenever I go outside.  I have the shirt hanging in the greenhouse, but remembering to put it on...

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

The long sleeves, gloves, avoiding bug bites, etc are all part of the lymphedema precautions we have to follow after lymph node removal to prevent lymphedema (LE).  LE can be triggered by an infection, even a very mild one, which is why we can't have needle stick in the affected arm, and by squeezing truama, which is why we can't have blood pressures checked on that arm.  The shirt keeps the bugs off preventing infection that way.  I hate that this disease can come back at any time, or that I can develop LE at any time, and spend the rest of my life in pain.  We have got to find a better answer to bc!

• marlegal

Eli, yes the last word is Beachettes ... on the "Life's a Beach" thread that's what we call each other and the site is filled with pictures that we take (or steal from Google!) of beach scenes. Thanks for the other link, I missed it first time reading but it worked fine.

Happy Saturday all ... go do something fun!  See you later tonight.

• elimar

HnS, Copperhead?  OMG!  If I even see a garter snake, it takes all my will power not to grab a shovel or hoe and hack the head off of it, even tho' I know most snakes are beneficial to garden areas. 

Val,  I've camped and hiked in that area several times.  Yeah, the water always looks so inviting, but unless it'sthe third week of August it's not wise to go in unless you have a defibrillator handy.

fmakj, Sorry to hear about your father's Dx.  Did they catch it early and will they do surgery? 

So many fathers have had health issues and declines in the last 6 mos.  I guess we should come to expect it when our parents get in their 70's and 80's, but who is ever really ready for it?  Father's Day is in a month...maybe it would be nice to post something recalling times with our dads.  Somebody remind me.

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    Meece - I have to say don't leave the shirt outside - or at least, shake it WELL before putting it on....  I hate bugs too  Surprised
  • elimar

vhshea has not posted to acknowledge winning our last WEEKEND MYSTERY PIC challenge, nor responded to a PM, so I'm going to go ahead and post one for this weekend...

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

crushed grapes

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

cocoa pods used for garden mulch

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045

I would have said crushed grapes, but it looks like there are bits of corn in there!

Elimar - no surgery.  It is Stage 4a and he will get 7 weeks rads, possibly chemo (still have to meet med onc.), a peg tube (for feeding) and possibly he may need a traecheotomy (sp) during rads, but they are hoping that they can control some of the swelling to avoid this.  A lot to process.  My Dad is 77 years old and on a lot of medication for various things, so the chemo will not be heavy duty (I don't think!) IF he gets it. This will sort of be a repeat of the summer of '09 for me, except I will be driving him daily for rads (at least 1 hour drive one way).  In 4 days, I will hit my 2 year mark since diagnosis......Just trying to enjoy each day!! 

Have a great week end everyone!

• heymoose
    heymoose Member Posts: 682

dried raisins and cranberries

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Crushed black cherries (I think they look like pits)

• heartnsoul76

fmakj - I don't think I'm coordinated enough to try to crush these pills between 2 spoons, but that gives me an idea. Maybe a mortar and pestle? They're mostly vitamins, and some of them are giant and hard as a rock, but if I can crush them up I would be thrilled!

meece - I don't even leave my dirty gloves outside for fear of a spider crawling into the fingers!

marlegal - you are so right, I need to come up with an outdoor wardrobe and keep it in a bag (and wear it to Home Depot). The thing is, I do a lot of my outdoor work spontaneously so out goes my right hand without thinking about it, reaching toward something bad! I'm sure most of us do that, without even thinking about it.

mainer - just another one of the many things to hate about this disease! We shouldn't have to remind ourselves of this every time we reach for a weed, or pick up the garden hose!

barbe and elimar - oh my gosh, yes, we have so many copperheads around here. Once, during a dry spell, I was reaching for the spout to turn the water on and just before I got to it, I noticed a snake wrapped up the hose where the water was dripping. Ugh! It's just not safe around here! These woods are beautiful, that's why I bought the house, but they are FULL of poison! I remember my grandmother chasing garden snakes around with a hoe, but there's no grass here - just woods. The only snakes are the copperheads and rat snakes, and yes, I've seen rats out here, too. Ugh again! But hey, the woods are pretty....

Barbe - I live in Atlanta, GA. My brother once told me that technically, our zone is considered humid sub-tropical. That sounds like a jungle to me, and we've got the bugs and the small critters that go along with that. Just the other night I rescued a tree frog from my cat - INSIDE the house - and I saw a huge snail halfway up the kitchen door - this time on the outside. I feel like my house is set in the midst of a jungle. Once I thought about how funny it would be to buy some monkeys and let them go in the trees. The neighbors (who can't see our house) would freak out. So would the county, come to think of it. But it's the only sound that seems to be missing out here!

• heartnsoul76

Here's my house in the jungle...across the private drive is 5 acres, a creek, and a coyote family. Behind me and beside me are another 3 acres, then at the end of the private drive is my obnoxious little brother.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388

heartnsoul - I was going to ask where you live to have snakes visit so often, but see that you live in Atlanta and posted a picture.  Wow!!! Your home and it's surroundings are beautiful.

I can't figure out the picture.  I want to say crushed fruit like cherries or kalmata olives.  I'll have to look again and see what I can think of.

• heartnsoul76

Thank you, jenn! I can see you must be familiar with the humid sub-tropical weather and the creatures it brings being in NOLA! Wow, hot and humid AND the city - great, huh? The only good thing about it is that it keeps our complexions dewy and moist....okay, sweaty! haha

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

I was just jumping around the threads when it dawned on me tomorrow it will be 3 years since the dreaded phone call "it is malignant" and only 2 years left on Arimidex! I think I will have a glass of wine and a bag of cheeto's to celebrate!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

seaweed?

• elimar
    HnS, Your place looks charming enough but, if you ever go to sell, mum's the word on the copperhead and the coyotes.  Foot in mouth
  • marlegal

HNS, what an awesome picture!  That settings looks so tranquil, it must bring you great peace.  Wildlife aside of course :)

OG56, I got this for you ... I have no idea how the bag got empty or the glass half full ... really I don't

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

I'm saying coffee beans

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

fmakj.. so sorry to hear about your dad    3jays

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

marle gal.. hope your enjoying the beach!!!!   3jays