Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

heartnsoul--have you considered liquid vitamins?  Some companies make liquid vitamins, I know Centrum Silver comes in liquid form.  Health food stores have lots of versions of liquid vitamins, many actually taste quite good.  They do cost more, but it might be worth it.  You can certainly use a mortar and pestle to crush pills. If you have a granite or soapstone mortar the vitamins may stain it, and the vitamin taste may get into whatever you use in it next if you don't clean it carefully, but you probably already know that.  Next time you are in a grocery or drug store look in the area where pill boxes are and you will find gizmos for crushing pills.  If your pills are in bubble pack (each pill in a little plastic bubble with a foil backing) you can crush the pill in the bubble by smashing it with a mug or glass or meat tenderizer. 

Gorgeous home!  I can see the attraction of the woods, not so sure about the snakes and spiders, though! 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{OG}}} Congrats on 3 years!! HnS, gorgeous home! I know about critters, too. Ick! I was pruning a bush and reached down to pick up the cuttings only to almost grab a 3 foot long black snake. Yikes!

The pic looks like dried cranberries or cherries to me.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Beautiful home Heart!!!

The picture definitely has a bean of some sort in it, with 'deflated' skins of a sort. I'll stick with my cocoa pods for garden mulch....

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Hi ladies I have not been feeling well either had first taxol treatment and terrible bone and muscle pain.  I start my second on Thursday hoping the pain in my bones get's less.  My leg's are very weak but of course starting to feel better and have to have another treatment.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

((((lynniea))))  I know how ya feel.  The pain does let up.  I found that a heating pad made them feel so much better.  I know that helped me find a bit of relief.  That was the part that bothered me was the hip and leg pain.  I hoe you can find some comfort.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

definitely crushed wine grapes

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

lynniea, good to hear from you, but not so good that the chemo is knocking you down.  Hang in there & try the heating pad.  Paula66 knows what she is talking about from her recent rounds.

Happy   to OG56!

• elimar

Time to cut to the chase on MYSTERY WEEKEND PIC, since we have had not one, but three, guess correctly.

*Paula66*, you were not only correct, but your quickness has made you this week's winner.  It's up to you to post a new pic next weekend.

fmakj, also correct (don't know about the "corn" tho'.)

Meece,California girl, it figures that you would get it right.  Heck, I'm sure you've even stomped a few.

The pic was of grapes that were crushed in the process of wine making.  Since we did have three correct answers, if ANY OF THE THREE OF YOU want EXTRA credit and prestige, take a guess at what KIND of grapes they were???.  

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

red

• elimar

Ia that a proxy guess?

• elimar

Who knows?  Some might be decanting some of that actual wine this weekend.  Does opening a box count as decanting?

• Paula66

Ok this is just a practice pic.  I'm still learning so Im doing a practice pic.  You'll have to wait for the real thing next weekend, sorry gals.  file:///C:/Users/paula/Desktop/Marge%20(2).jpg

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

mainer - good idea, I'm switching to liquid vitamins wherever I can. I take too many vitamins anyway. I didn't know they made things to crush pills - I'm going to get one of those for the vitamins I can't eliminate. Thanks for helping me figure out how to stop choking down these blasted things!

Thanks for the nice comments about my house, ladies. You can see how I'm torn between the tranquility of the house and setting, and the wilderness beyond! Snakes, spiders, coyotes, mosquitoes, mice, rats, wood roaches, encroaching ivy and the weirdest bugs I've ever seen! It's a constant battle....BACK, NATURE, BACK! I think nature's winning - nature always wins.

But....it is beautiful back here. Like a friend of mine said, "It's like an oasis in the city."  My brother wants to sell his house at the end of the private drive - it's a real neat Frank Lloyd Wright type house built in 1950.  So, I'm kind of mulling over selling this one at the same time - maybe a family would like to buy it as a family compound.  But, definitely, mum's the word on the wildlife! 

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Marlegal I thought of you today as we drove to Wildwood to check out a house we're gonna rent for the weekend of the firefighters convention. MY DH both my sons and my daughter are all firefighters and since all 3 kids are "legal" this year it should be really interesting.

Had to stop and get suntan lotion first since we were driving with the top off the jeep and I have to watch my exposure to the sun now. Luckily the traffic was tons better than we expeced :)

• elimar

Glad you mentioned the suntan lotion, reesie.  I had mine on today too.  I was good about putting it on before but NOW, just going out to do some yardwork, I not only put it on face, arms and legs that were bare but also I put it on any of my rads area that was not covered by a bra.  I just had a thin top on and I wanted to even block the rays that might get thru' the fabric.  I don't always do that, but if I will be out for a couple hours then I will.

Today I was trimming hedges.  I got tired out.  Have to finish the front yard tomorrow and who knows when I'll get around to the back yard.  You're right, HnS, nature is winning!

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Yes, that picture sums up how I do my yard work, too! Nature is 'WINNING!"

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

We have the DS do the yard part of his extra allowance. Don't know why I said coffee beans.

Lynniea hope things are better soon for you.

Have a bad summer cold not able to get out today. Hope things are better tomorrow.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898

you're welcome heartnsoul--I deal with the pill thing every day at work, so I've gotten a few tricks in my bag to help with it.  Having to take medication is bad enough without making it a struggle, especially since there are so many options now-a-days.  Almost everything comes in liquid form, or a tablet that will dissolve in the mouth, or a lotion to rub on.  These forms may cost a bit more, but for the convenience it can be worth it.  The more those of us with trouble swallowing big pills speak up, the more demand there will be for the liquid or other alternatives and the price will start coming down.  And talk to your pharmacist, if you have one.  A pharmacist can be very helpful with getting alternative forms and finding out what can be crushed and what can't, and which company makes a smaller pill or a caplet. 

• neecee
    neecee Member Posts: 125

On a bright note, I just picked a dozen tomatoes from my garden and made salsa.  Yum!  Having my own Memorial Day indoor picnic, as SEs rule today.

• Paula66

This is a test!  Its not the real deal.  I'm still learning how to load photos so I'm practicing.  Well its tiny but Im starting to get the hang of it.  I do have a few more days to practice.  

• elimar

Once you get the picture to appear in the box you are composing your post in, you can left click onto the pic and then drag the vertical or horizontal borders around to whatever size you want.

• Paula66

Tada thanks Elimar.  I wont have to do what I did earlier.  Im still learning.  You can take the welder outa the shop but ya cant take the shop outa the welder.  I'm a welder by trade and I moved to a desk job with very little skills.  I've got a lot to learn.

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97

Thinking of all my Middles ! {{{{hugs}}}                           

To all my Middle Sisters , Thinking of you & sending Comfort {{{{hugs}}} Love ya, Gina

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E-that gardening outfit is da bom'.  I didn't know you were such a fashionista!!!!!!

Gina, hope your drain thing gets finished soon.

Lynniea-sorry you feel crappy....it does get better eventually!

Hope you are having a great holiday weekday weekend.  If you live somewhere where it's not a holiday, sorry...I love 3 day weekends but it's a big soccer tournament here on Memorial Day weekend & DD has had games Saturday & today @ 8AM & 2:15PM (and it's been COLD-sorry E)!  Waiting to find out if she's playing for 1st or 2nd (10AM tomorrow) or 3rd or 4th (8AM tomorrow) guess which one I pick?!?!?!?!? 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Paula, by the way I'm not seeing a picture on your post. 

• Paula66

Ill try again Eph.

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145
    OMG...Paula66 I thought you were posting another weekend mystery pic, i was ready to start guessing....LOL!!!
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Reesie, depending on how you went you may have driven right by our campground!  If you took Rt 55 to Rt 47, you would have passed Hideaway Beach on the right side of the road on your way down to Wildwood. Not the way I'd go, but some do!  Which part of Wildwood will you be staying in? I'm guessing North Wildwood, more family friendly!!

Eli, not one of the best shots of you I've seen, but at least you were able to keep your skirt straight!!!

Lynn, I feel your pain. I didn't do well on Taxol but I can say that all the problems I had stopped once I was finished treatment. I hope that for you too.

• Paula66

LOL kal sorry.  I shoulda put this is my test again.  Im still learning;-)  I think I have till friday before the offical pic. 

• kal_1865
    kal_1865 Member Posts: 145

Paula66, yes you have all the time you need, don't mind me it's the martini talking...