MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

justmejanis-I hated not usuing my regular deodorant.  The only deod my RO would let me use was Crystal.  It did not work very well but I noticed by the end of rads I was not needing it quiet as much.  So I decided to switch to Tom's of Maine lavendar scent.  The longer I use the natural deodorants the less stinky I become.  It is amazing how my body has adapted. 

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

No deoderants here either.  I've been using baby wipes (baby powder scent) every since surgery.  Seems to work ok as long as I don't spend too much time in the 100 degree temps.  Thanks for the tip Sherry, I'll have to try the natural deodorant after I'm done with rads.  Good luck Janis! 

HUGS to all, Kitty

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi all!  Well my son managed to not see me naked today, lol!

Good luck janis and kitty with the rads today!

I do have to say this is one of my favorite spots to be.  I come here and there often.  The gals here and the other topic I go to are great.  Ive never seen any cat fights.  You all on both spots have been a light when I have been in some much of the dark since I found you all.  You all have been so supportive!  I  cried moaned and heck nearly pee myself laughing so hard.  I start and end my days now here and cant think of a better way to spend it. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Thanks Sherry!  It is funny how we worry about the silliest things, isn't it?  Nobody from the Cancer Center has given me any instruction at all.  Maybe today?  Can you use regular deodorant after you get home, and shower it off the next day?  Of course I will do whatever my oncologist suggests, but just curious what worked for everyone else.

I have never heard of either of the deodorants you mentioned.  Are they hard to find.  Mostly are they expensive?  That will be a big factor for me.  Stoopid SS check we live on does not go very far.  We just spent a (small) fortune of this month's check on vet bills for our dog Sampson.  He got a hot spot on his face that went south fast.  Three trips to the vet, I was giving him penicillin injections at home, no help.  Now onto a different oral antibiotic and of course a lampshade for his head.  LOL.  Today is the first day his face looks better and not oozing pus!  I am so happy! 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I hads rads in the morning, so my agenda went something like:  Shower, use no lotions or deodorant, then go to rads.  Come home, immediately put on the aloe gel, then my regular deodorant.  Go about my sweaty business (my rads were Aug./Sept./Oct,) maybe put on more aloe.  Bedtime, final layer of aloe for the day.  The next day, shower, rinse, repeat.

-----------------------

I don't use Tom's of Maine deodorant BUT I use the toothpaste.  One S/E of our meds can be dry mouth, and I think the Tom's is a bit less drying than your average Colgate or Crest.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    Thanks Elimar...now that sounds very doable!  My appointments will be 9:30 after today, so your routine should work well for me.  Same here, my rads will be the rest of August and all of September ending in October.  It is still very hot here so glad I can use the deodorant after rads!  Yippee!  Plus I know aloe is very inexpensive so that sounds perfect!  Smile
  • Sherryc

justmejanis--ask your RO office about wearing reg deod afterwards.  My RO wanted no regular deod during my course of treatment.  Said that the alumin in the deod does not wash all the way off.  My RO gave me a prescription cream called XClair.  It was very good and my insurance covered it otherwise I understand it is very pricey.  I used that along with Aloe Vera and sometimes Aquaphor.  I also hated not being able to shave.  My husband has a beard trimmer and I figured that I could use the lowest setting on that and get a shave without irritating my skin.  My radiation only covered 1/2 of my armpit. Hate underarm hair, yuk!  The underarm part that got radiaited that hair fell out at about 2 weeks.

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

janis, i got toms deoderent from walmart , i live in fl!  managed ok regards the sweating, , good luck with the rads, have my 6 week follow up tomorrow with the ro

• Sherryc

yes I get my Tom's of Maine at a larger grocery store the next town over.  I live in a very small town and even though our store is the same chain we are much smaller and not as many choices. 

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Hey we need a check in from Foxy. We just felt the outer edge of an earthquake that centered in VA. Hope everyone is ok out there.

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

Wow ladies we just had an earthquake in Northern Va 5.9  thats a first for me and very scary too!

• elimar

Here is what BC.org says about the Rads + Deodorant subject:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/radiation/new_research/20101101.jsp

Cut and paste if link does not work.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,510

Thanks for that, elimar!

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Oh tink didnkt know you were in va too. Glad you're ok. We even felt it here in jersey

• elimar

Did the Quake last very long?  Hope the center was not in a populated area.  That is strong enough to shake things up.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

My family lives in Richmond and have heard it shook, rattled and rolled--but no damage. Tink, where do you live? They said the epicenter was outside of Charlottesville.

• elimar

Oh hi, Mods!   Laughing

(Now I have that eerie feeling of someone reading over my shoulder.)

• elimar

OMG, I have to call my girlfriend who lives IN Charlottesville.

---------------------

All circuits busy when I just tried.  Everybody checking on everybody else.  The funny thing is that my friend is originally from California.  I'm sure she was shocked.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Foxy, Foxy come out, come out where ever you are?!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Hmmm, was having a nap and woke up about 40 minutes ago. They said we felt it all the way up here, but I don't know if that's what woke me up. I do know I heard a HUGE bang! But when I went outside for a walk it was just the usual yard guys working around - no groups of people gathered.

• tinkertude

It lasted about 30- 40 secs. I live in Northen Va ABOUT 30 MIN outside of DC. It happened in Midland Va JUST SOUTH of Fredricksburg so less than 100 miles from me. Yes it did rattle and roll. I am finding things aorund the house that are just a little off.. books fallen, cd"s slid, one pic off wall...prob a cheap nail..lol.. Yes phone lines are still on and off here. My mom is in S fla I was glad to be able to catch it on the up swing and talk with her.

El. Charlotsville is about 2 hours west of me.

Thanks Reesie.. :)

How you feeling Janis and Kitty? hope your doing well

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

I was told not to use the deodorant at all on that side and haven't but I think the radiation shut down my sweat glands on that side. I don't sweat and I don't stink either so I've simply used nothing. it hasn't been a problem at all, thankfully! I did accidentally start to put deodorant on that side once when I was rushing during week 6 and it did sting like crazy but I gently washed it off again...

Hopefully it won't be a problem for you too!

• Sherryc

I forgot that my sweat glands shut down on that side as well.  I think they are back working but not like before.  The study regarding using deod being Ok came out about the time I was starting rads and I asked about it but RO still no.

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

Yep, earthquake center about 25 miles west of me. Right at my daughters house. It seemed like it lasted forever! I don't think I have damage to anything, just some crooked pictures and small light items came off shelves. My daughter however had things flying everywhere. Her pantry is a mess, pictures off the walls and things hit her in the head when she opened her cabinet. I had to laugh! She ran outside and watched her house sway! There was damage to buildings in the town of Mineral. I still have the damn fever and had a little dog on my table. Ran outside with it. Waiting for aftershocks. They say they probably will happen. Largest earthquake for us since 1897!

Foxy

• tinkertude

Foxy.. so glad everyone is safe! what a shocker!!! im still a bit shaky!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

To all my earth quakin', rock n rollin' BCO sistas-take care & do be careful opening closets/cupboards.  We had an earthquake here in '93 & it scared the crap outta me-I didn't like the aftershocks while lying in bed!

Elimar, weren't you just saying how the mods NEVER came on here!!!! do de do do, do de do (that's Twilight Zone music in case you couldn't tell)

Finally - love your picture topper! 

• Foxlairfrm
    Foxlairfrm Member Posts: 126

Tink, where are you located? I'm about 45 miles east of Charlottsville off 64 toward Richmond. the center was in Mineral, Va. Louisa county. Both my daughters live there. One has a firefighter boyfriend, they had 42 calls in an hour! The DMV wall collasped. Lol. No one hurt.

Foxy

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

Sorry I missed the party. Eli does know how to throw one. Just caught up on all the pages I missed.  Had a busy week-end with my grandson and last night was the first night on rads that I just came home from work and went to sleep.

Janis-Guess by now you've started your rads.  Like everyone says keeping moisturized and hydragrated is the bast way to get through without to much skin irritation.  I am on 26/33 treatments and have been using the aloe right after each treatment.  I put it rught on before I get dressed again because I have to go back to work.  At night I use Aquafor, I got the store brand and saved a couple of dollars.  I bought the large tub but it seems to go a long way so the smaller tube would have been enough.  If you start having problem ask at your center if they have any samples they can give you.  My RO isn't very helpful, when he checked me today he just says it looks great and to use cortisone cream if it itches.  You can see the exact outline of the Rad field on my skin but so far none of the blisters etc that some of the girls get.  Good luck and let us know how you make out.  On the job front have you check with your local Office on Ageing?  We hace a program her called Experience Works.  The program contributes about 1/2 of the salary and the employer the other have and the positions are usually in nonprofit orgs.

• elimar

janinnj, You sound about like me when I went thru' rads.  (But I whined much more.)  I had a lovely rads tan rectangle on my chest about five shades darker.  Don't know if some of your last ones will be "boosts."  That is usually if they need to do near the surface, or if you had a close margin, they give a little extra to the tumor bed area.  I had 6-7 boosts and that caused me to get a small pink oval on top of the rectangle.  When rads were done, I still did not have any actual blisters, but I had a few patches of skin peel off in the boost area.  Just like how a sunburn does, just the very top layer.

The finish line is in sight...go for it!

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

Eli- Have 2 more reg tx's to the nodes and had the first boost to the tumor bed today.  The las five will be all boost.  I expect to peel eventually as that is how my skin has always reacted to the sun.  I get a little exposure and just when I think it's going to tan it peels off.