Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Reesie, do you know how long after the surgery you will have to stay off your feet?
  • reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

The doc said out of work for one week crutches for two - so that's fast. Hope he's right.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Reesie to some degree we all have to be brave.  Of course everyone has different coping skills.  I found your bio to be very forthright, informative, and totally lacking self pity.  You are a strong positive woman and with your attitude, cancer better be worried choosing you as a host. 

Paula, thanks for the drinks, they are scrumptious.  Fruit is healthy!

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

Reesie...Best wishes with your surgery!!! will be thinking of you!

Paula.. Ok that really upsets me too. To think of lying about what stage you are to get money makes me sick. So many people out there are truly in worse shape and in stage 4 with no insur and could use the help and are not able to get it. Thats horrible and you have every right to be upset!!

Janis thats look yummyI am hungry now... heck im always hungry lol

How about some chips to go with those sandwiches we are going to make???

and a nice relish tray!

• tinkertude

Reesie.. You are brave Girl Dont doubt that for a second!!!!!!!! hugs!!!!!

• elimar

My, my, I saw yet another thread for 40-somethings that claimed this one was "too old" for them.  Oh, o.k.!   Somebody give me a Geritol on the rocks, quick!  

I'm really cracking up because I know the dizzy heights of immaturity we can reach around here.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Yes tink thats what I thought when I saw the can.  Then when I had a chat with my sissy and she filled me in.  I just wanted to explode.  There are so many people who are at stage 4 and for her to do this when she doesnt need any help with doctor bills is disgusting.  I just want to expose her for the phoney person she is.  I mean seriously there are people who are living with a nightmare and it so tragic to see that

Tink I do love a good relish tray!!!!  Thanks!  I know what Im having, how bout you girls, lol.

• elimar

I am really cracking up, because I know the dizzying heights of immaturity we reach around here. 

• Paula66

I think tacos sound good!

• reesie

I think I posted in that one E and felt guilty while doing it :)

I think i like my "old people" thread over here lol

• justmejanis

Paula, the tacos are perfect.  These should go nicely:

• Paula66

Now for a big plop of sour cream, yummy!

• justmejanis

Of course, silly me:

• elimar

No prob, Reesie!   (Guilt is so middle-aged, btw!)  Embarassed

When I made this thread, for the neither "young" nor "older," there were people saying that having three age groups was one too many.  I don't know, I just thought we should be sandwiched in there somewhere, since many of us represent the "sandwich generation" in our families anyway.

Guess our age group is too broad for some, but like some smarty pants once said, "Try to please everyone, end up pleasing none." (I bet it was a middle-aged smarty pants, too!)

• Paula66

Thank you Janis, lol!  To bad that I just could pull all the yummy treats from the computer then I wouldnt have to cook supper, lol.  Hubs and the son have this crazy idea that they need to eat!  But yet neither wants to cook so it has to be me and Im not even hungry!

eli I know that some feel we are old foggies and that we dont wanna hear about the kids.  Well guess what alot of us still talk about them even though they are older. 

• justmejanis

Eli, this thread is perfect.  This one is for you:

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Welcome Duchess - You have found a crazy bunch of ladies.  Jump in anytime and ask questions, vent, cry, do whatever you need to.  I know this has been my lifeline and I am so grateful to have found these wonderful ladies.

Been reading everyone's posts but have not wanted to write much lately.  Tues is my one year cancerversary and I'm not sure how I feel about that right now.  When I have mentioned it to people here - the response I get is "Where has the last year gone?"  Or, "this last year has gone so fast".  Well, no it has not - at least for me.  Right now, I have no plans to celebrate.  Feeling kinda bummed out actually.  Thanks for listening. 

• justmejanis

Ah Jo......sorry you are feeling so bummy.  I think sometimes these anniversaries, or milestones, can  be a real challenge.  Mixed feelings are normal.  Talk it through....your "lifeline" listeners are here to help you if you care to enlist us.  I have gotten much strength from reading everyone's stories.

Sending you a big, gentle, understanding hug Jo!

• Paula66

((((((((((((((((Jo))))))))))))))))))))

Ok got the hubs and the son and the ex girl friend (long story, still trying myself to figure it out) fed, let the games begin!

• elimar
    janis,  Girl, that could me my lunch Mon.-Fri., but it could get real stale by Fri., so how 'bout me and four friends 'caus it looks like it could serve FIVE!
  • Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Paula - I believe what your ex SIL is doing is criminal and I'm not using that as an expression of speech. Is there a lawyer in the house? I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around and do unto others... so she'll get wha't coming to her, eventually.

Reesie - Rest up, please. I want to meet you at that dinner a week from tomorrow and I want you to be as ready for possible for your surgery the next day. You're still going to be able to make it to the dinner, aren't you? I've been threatened, by my BS, with having to cancel my trip ,if I don't stay quiet so the drain can come out. I've never gone against her wishes before, but little does she know - drain or no drain, needing aspiration or not - I AM GOING TO MAKE THAT TRIP TO NEW JERSEY. I'm going to take my time and make it a leisurely drive down over 2 days, There are hospitals and doctors in New Paltz and Moorestown who can aspirate fluid from my chest incision, if need be.

Sorry gals. I'm a terrible hostess. I fell asleep during the party. Here's a party game to keep you occupied in case that happens again.

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378

We have excellent insurance but even with it, I believe our part of the payments will be going on long after we are gone.  We will keep making payments till he!! freezes over though.  Those who take advantage of the system & beg for help from soft-hearted innocent people are beyond understanding.  I have to admit heartache for those of us who are struggling on our own.

Martha

• elimar
    Hi, mostlymom!  Are you new to this thread?  The name IS familiar, but your pic isn't?  Did you stop by here before you had an avatar?  Either that or I've seen your name on another thread.
  • tinkertude

ok i just want to start by saying and i think you ladies are great. I am only 42 so i admit  I thought maybe do  I" fit in" here. but you all are wonderful welcoming and a blast to hang with!!!!! Thank you!

Jo.. I now people dont get all the emotions that go along with our cancerversarry. It seems like forever for us what was life like before all this, they cant begin to imagine how much has changed for us even in a year.  Im sending you my extra Tinkerdoodle hugs!!!!!!!

we need somemusic for this party!!!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

wooo hoooo.....I won!!!  I won!!!!  I won!!!!  I knew all those hours of watching cooking shows would pay off, especially since hub does 90% of the cooking in this house so it's not like I really learned things that I put into practice :)  I graciously accept the award Eli.  I hope I'm not overdressed

I'll put my thinking cap on this week to come up with something worthy next Saturday.  A minor nod to Irene, more to thank her for leaving us a bit sooner and lighter than expected :)

• reesie

Oh I'll be there Hauntie even if I have to give in and use the stupid wheel chair again. I wouldn't miss this.

Now since I spent today nauseous -no more percs for me - I will be deciding on and posting a place tomorrow.

Can't wait to meet everyone.

Oh and I will call you tomorrow with an idea of a place to stay.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Janis - At one time, I thought the one year mark would be exciting - but now not so sure.  As I am stitting here, I can't help but thinking that this time last year, I was getting ready for my surgery early Monday morning and feeling scared shitless. I think that may be part of the problem - a little PTSD - reliving that horrible day.  I am not going to completely write it off - I am going to wait and see how I really feel when I wake up on Tues morning.

Paula - Thanks - hugs back atcha 

Tink - Aw!  You always know what to do to cheer me up.

I knew you ladies would understand - you get it!!! 

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Jo, big gentle hugs hon. I agree that we definitely have PTSD at times, and it can hit us out of the blue.  I'm glad you're here with us one year later. To better days ahead :)

• tinkertude

Jo i am going to pm you!

Marlegal... lovely dress!!!!!

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    elimar.  I've been around - I'm a step up from a lurker as I've made a few posts.  I have had a different avitar - I was a pug in bed wearing pink with a thermometer.  I read several different threads daily & I can't tell you how much they have helped me through these tough times.  I've been having fewer pity parties but my emotions are still out of control.  I finished 33 rads Aug 5 & am going to start on a 5-yr regime of pills soon - can't remember which ones but not tamox - don't know if that's avoidance or lousy memory or both....  There is one other Martha I've "seen" also.  She just had a melt-down in a grocery store which I throughly understand.  I will try to pipe up more often - I certainly feel part of the group!!  Cool