Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I thought it was supposed to 'jump' a generation. My grandma had it, so I got it. My mom didn't.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hautie I just wish they would hurry up and find a cure so that my grandkids dont have to deal with this crap.  I too have a nasty history with this and am tired of it.  My granny and auntie both had it. Then my younger sissy had it 2x in her 30's. All 3 of the survived it so am I.  My granny was a very luckey woman because she had it at a time when there wasnt much they could do for it.  She had it in the 1950s and lived well into her 80's.   I ended up with it 2x in my 40's.  I did get BRCA tested and I am positive.  My other sissy got tested and thank God she is negative.  I strongly talk to my daughter about this and I pray that she doesnt have this gene as well.  I sometimes wish I never got tested sometimes because of the mind games, but somedays Im glad I did because of my kids.  It also helped me make decisions on how I wanted to procede with surgery.  I did choose to have both of them removed because this of the fact I had cancer in both breasts in less then 1 1/2 years apart.  The 2nd time it wasnt caught as fast as the first time.  I dont see how, but I cant play the game of why why why in my head anymore.  I had to make room for other stuff instead, lol.  

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

When it comes down to it we all just need to be well informed when making in our decisions.  I am still up in the air about getting the BRCA test.  My husband does not want me to do it, I do not have history in my family of it unless you take my 7th cuz SherryC.  It seems that my generation of cousins have had several forms of different cancers.  So I am still considering getting the genetic test.

Looks like I have been missing a lot of fun this week.

I had some frozen grapes this moring but the donuts look inviting too.

Lynniea - how are you holding up with your rads hope you are well.

First football game tonight, have concession duty, oh boy.  What we do for our kids.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Meece - Guess that makes me an "original" in my family too.  No history here either.

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998

Same here Jo no history in my family of BC either.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

No history here for me except my 7th cuz mjbmiller.  I did do the BRCA test and was negative.  If it had been positive I had decided to have an ooph but since negative i'll keep the ovaries and see how long they hold up.

Hauntie it was a busy day yesterday.  I must have fallen asleep in your pocket cause when i woke up everyone was gone.  Hope all the test come back with wonderful news.

I needed starbucks and donuts to start the morning.  I am with the rest of you TGIF.

Tomorrow I am going to drive my mother to Katy.  All of her siblings are getting together.  They are all spending the night at my uncles house but my mom does not want to leave my dad and he does not feel up to going.  She has had some fainting spells herself and was going to drive by herself.  I said absolutely not.  It is one thing going close to home but another thing driving 2 hours.  No way.  She started to argue with me and I just told her I was not arguing about it I was just not going to let her do it.  Now if you knew my mother she is a very strong willed women.  My brothers tell me I'm the only one that gets away with talking to her like that.  I tell them they are just scared. haha

• tinkertude

Sherry... good for you ! and how lucky that your  mom has you to look out for her best interest!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Driving is a tricky issue with elderly parents.  A lot just don't want to give up the freedom.  A lot overestimate their ability too.  A lot of times it does come down to their kids saying no.

I got to totally sidestep that issue.  Even tho' my mom had driven herself to her weekly chemo for over a year, after she came out of the hospital and moved into my house she never wanted to drive.  She was in a new town, so didn't want to learn where everything since I was available to take her anyway.  Then, once I asked her if she wanted to just drive (her car) around the neighborhood, (I wanted to see how she would do) and she said she didn't feel up to it.  That was that.

• Sherryc

Here is a family photo from last weekend.  This is with MIL and FIL.  Unfortunately my dad was not feeling well and did not come that day and mom did not want a photo without him so maybe I can get them another time.

• jo1955

Sherry - What a lovely family photo.  I found you right away - one of the loveliest in the bunch and it appears good looks run in that family.  Your parents are so blessed to have you looking after them - I know they really appreciate everything you do.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

fantastic family portrait Sherry!! Beautiful family!! Lucky you have a mom that will listen to you. Not sure mine will when the time comes. . .

My sister tested negative when she was tested for BRAC, so they said I had less than 1% chance of being positive. No other family history. May not be BRAC, but still believe something hinky is going on in the family gene pool. Had a lovely day with DH car browsing ang grocery shopping. Why is it when you go to the grocery store with your DH, you end up spending 75 dollars more??!!

We too are off to the first football game of the season---away too!! Not brave enough to volunteer yet, since I don't do the Florida heat very well. Love my son, but I would rather write a check!

Gonna start passing the HH drinks around--it is FRIDAY!!!

RED or WHITE???

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Checking in - staycation is going nice.  Worked Mon-Tues fast & furiously getting house & yard ready for exchange student's arrival....since then, DD has been busier than a 1 arm paper hanger going to soccer practice & then entertaining exchange student, here, there & everywhere.  Me?  I got up today at 8:30, walked the dog, read the paper & laid back down at 11 for a hour nap!  Do I ever feel decadent!!!!  

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Great news - My PC just called - all of yesterday's tests look ok. She said if there was any damage from the chemo, it should have shown up on the echocardiogram. She doesn't know what made the blood test indicate my heart was under stress. She's referring me to a cardiologist to review the tests and make sure she didn't miss anything, The plan is to continue with the diuretics until the fluid weight is gone.

Most importantly she ok'd my trip to NJ to have dinner with my BC.org BFFs.

Thank you all so much for your support during all of this. You really helped me get through it. What started as a terrible, awful, horrible week has ended as one of the brightest, sunniest, happiest days of the summer.

• Sherryc

that is great news hauntie

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Hauntie that is GREAT news (that we all knew already, but are glad your doc validated!!)

Sherry, a gREAT looking family!!

My DH and I believe that elderly (over 80) drivers should be tested EVERY year. Just today, we watched an old lady drive merrily through a red light cutting off a left hand turner!!!! Good thing the left turner was a young gun that swerved around her just in time!!

• janinnj
    janinnj Member Posts: 63

This tread does move very fast.  Hauntie great news on the test results.  A good friend had BC about 15 yrs ago and had heart damage from the chemo.  She did Cardiac Rehab and is okay but it was scary how weak her heart got.  She is now 15 years out and no symptons at all.

Have to share a milestone.  Today was my last Radiation Treatment.  Making my DH take me to dinner and buy me a margarita!!!  The girls at work had a Red Velvet Cake waiting for me when I got back from treatment.

• jo1955

Hauntie - Great news - what a way to end the week - on a good note.

janinnj - Doing the happy dance with you -  WOO HOO! End of rads - now let the healing begin.  There is a thread called "After Rads"  that has a ton of good information and a wonderful group of ladies.  I will bump it up for you so you can check it out if you like.  On my last day of rads - I went to dinner with DH and good friends.  I was exhausted but had a good time.

• Sherryc

janinnj-Congrats and woohoo on finishing rads.  Doing the happy dance. Have a great time out with DH tonight.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324
    Just thought I'd check in here between jobs and see how the week is going.  So much wonderful news!!  Hauntie have a great time and keep all those hugs you'll get stashed away for one of "those" days. Sherry, your family is beautiful!  What fabulous memories you will have. Janinnj, awesome job girl!  I'm sure your ready to keep moving on.  Count me in the club of no family history of BC until I got it.  Lucky me! Undecided  Barbe, I agree with you on the 80's drivers. My neighbor is in that group and is so bad she even backed her car into our garage door!  She tried to deny she did it, but we had it on our security camera that day.  She's a real nut case and has no business driving.  Eph, you keep working that staycation, I like it!  Clair, yes it does seem like I spend more on groceries when my DH is with.  Sometimes he sneaks stuff in the cart and when I get to the check out I have to ask where it came from.  He swears innocence but his face says GUILTY!  Worse than children sometimes.  Got to get back to work now so I'm sorry if I missed anyone but know you are all in my thoughts.  Kitty 
  • elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Hauntie, Good news!  Nice to get those worries out of the way before the weekend.

Sherryc,  What a great family pic.  Somebody forgot to use the OxyClean!  (Just joking...I know it's a beige top.)

janinnj, The last day of rads always feels so FREE!  Congrats, you made it!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I'm baaaack!  Laid back down @ 2-got up at 4.  Hope I can sleep tonight.

• Great news Hauntie and janinnj!!! That will help to make for a great weekend!

Beautiful family Sherryc!!

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Hauntie and Janni YEAH for the good news (and hello:))))

Sherry= wow, what a great picture and I agree, easy to spot ya:)))) You pretty Texas gaL)

• tinkertude

Hauntie and Janni.. So glad to hear both of your wonderful news!!! wahoo!!!! music to my ears! :)

• jo1955

Tink - I just thought that was your wings making that noise.  LOL

• tinkertude

Jo.. They were playing a special song for our friends good news! :)

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369
    Janinnj - congrads on finishing your rads. Red velvet cake - mmmm mmmmSmile
  • stjude10
    stjude10 Member Posts: 230

Am adding you gals to my favorites since I just turned 45. All I can say is, if I would've know I'd live this long, I would've taken better care of myself! Looking forward to getting to know you all, and best wishes to everyone on their journey!

• tinkertude

Welcome Stjude10. there are a great group of ladies here. I am looking forward to getting to know you too!

• tinkertude
                    Did someone say cake?????????????/