Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• donnad333
    donnad333 Member Posts: 10

Hey ladies ... Thanks to each of you for your warm welcome. PLEASE don't think that my cancer center and (more recently) medical school experience clouds my vision. Au contraire ... I know all too well what can--and does--go wrong. In fact, today I spent the better part of the day hunting down my path slides/materials, which had been "misplaced" for a full two weeks waiting to be sent to Genomics Health for oncotyping. GOOD GRIEF! As I posted on another forum, this isn't a handbag or a sweater we're talking about. So I lost a full two weeks--and if I hadn't personally followed up, who knows how long it would have been? So what I preach is personal responsibility.

As you all chimed in: too bad we had to meet this way ... but the Lord writes straight through crooked lines. I am grateful to all of you!

All the best, Donna D

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

You can preach, but we are already in the choir.  Around here, we are all about informed decision making, advocating for oneself, and having a good cry, as needed. 

donnad333,  Can't say that is the first time I heard that scenario.  It is probably the third or fouth time.  Scary how things can go missing like that.  Let's hope they labeled everything correctly and it is actually your tissue samples they are sending!!!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

DJL, Im glad you found us. Welcome to the crazy train.  Once you get on you wont wanna get off.  The girls around here are the best. 

If I forgot to welcome any of you new gals this past week, Welcome!!!  This is a great place to try and find answers to your questions, a shoulder to cry one and a giggle when ya need one.  We are good at jumping in pockets so if ya need us there just post away!  

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Janis,

Make room in that pocket for me!! You know me I'll bring the chocolate--and I promise to save you a piece for after the surgery.

Welcome Donna and DJL, sorry you are here under these circumstances. but we are a bunch of wild and crazy gals. . . . 

• treeskier
    treeskier Member Posts: 21

Barbe, thanks for the massage info. That is more clear than what I had been told before. I am afraid my lymph system was jacked around in a larger area than my relatively small incision (less than 3") because when I had terrible pain under my arm, my bs said it was because of the nodes she pulled out of there. Still, your advice makes sense.

Kitty, I had almost the same as mammosite, but a different brand of catheter / balloon, called Contoura. 

I've been hanging on the lymphedema thread, reading incredibly well-informed but furious posts from women in a subset of the bc club that we REALLY do not want to join. One of these med professional women says that having had bs, our lifetime risk for lymphedema is 40%! It can show up years later. So, if you are not informed about that risk, you may want to read up on it a bit. Once you get it, you've got it. Treatable but not cureable.

Gentle hugs to all the new ladies. You are in good company in this bad club.

• elimar
    Thanks, treeskier, for importing that info.  i was wondering about that myself, specifically if the threat of LE lessened over time.  I have now heard that it can appear years down the road, like you are saying.  I did hear the more nodes out, the more risk, but there are quite a few that have only one or two nodes out and they still got it.  I just hope my lymph plumbing was not too complicated and that my BS navigated his way through without doing too much damage...the rest is wait and see.
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Thank you so much for your support.  My Dad passed this morning.  He had been very aggitated over the last couple of days.  But last night became very peaceful and had a good night.  I woke up early and got up and got dressed and went to the hospital on my way to work.  When I walked in I could tell it was getting real close.  One of my brothers had stayed the night and after the nurse came in I called my other brother who works at the wellness center at the hospital and told him to get over there and called my mom who finally went home to get some rest.  We were all there when he passed and it was very peaceful.  All my other brothers came as soon as they could. I am very blessed with the family that I have.  No one fusses or fights and there is lots of love.  We all helped mom take care of what she needed to do and two of my brothers are staying with her tonight.  I called my MO first things this morning to let them know about my dad as we have the same doctor and he wants to see me first thing in the morning.  So I guess I'll see what he wants to do about my new tumor.  Don't know if he is going to want more test before biopsy or just go straight to biopsy.  Makes me nervous that he wanted to see me so quickly.  I am very spirtual and know that I have Jesus on my side so I have actually been pretty calm through all of this.  Had my crying spells with my brothers but that is a good thing.  We have also laughed alot today sharing all of our old stories and memories of Dad and growing up. I am the only girl with 7 brothers so they always say I was spoiled and got away with alot more.  haha but I was my daddy's little girl. Thanks for all your love and support.

• cmbear

Sherry, i am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad he found peace before he passed. Thinking of you and your family tonight.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Sherry, love and peace to you and your family.  I hope your Dad's peace is a comfort for you.  Kitty 

• Paula66

Today I want to share my sissie with you all.  10 yrs ago she found BC in one breast.  At that time they dont do both.  Well she made it chemo and was on the mend.  Then in a year n hald time she had cancer in the remaining boob. Went through chemo again.  She is part of the reason I was able to get thru this nightmare!  I am lucky because I had you all to get me thru this too!  My sissy didnt have a BCO to come to back in he day,  I am so proud and honored that I have an amazing sissy who had that kinda strength.  Thank you little sissy for teaching me how to be storng thru this.  I LOVE YOU!!!!

• Paula66

Today I want to share my sissie with you all.  10 yrs ago she found BC in one breast.  At that time they dont do both.  Well she made it chemo and was on the mend.  Then in a year n hald time she had cancer in the remaining boob. Went through chemo again.  She is part of the reason I was able to get thru this nightmare!  I am lucky because I had you all to get me thru this too!  My sissy didnt have a BCO to come to back in he day,  I am so proud and honored that I have an amazing sissy who had that kinda strength.  Thank you little sissy for teaching me how to be storng thru this.  I LOVE YOU!!!!

• elimar
    Sherryc,  I am sorry you have lost your Dad.  It is nice that you and your nearby family could gather around him at the end, being the close family that you are.  I hope your meeting with your MO will be only to ease your mind about what comes next.  You could use a break right now.
  • chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Sherryc, sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.  It's good that you, your mom and some of your brothers were there with him as he passed.  ((((HUGS))))  Hope the meeting with your onc is a good one.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

(((((( Sherry ))))))

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

sherry, hugs and prayers for you and your family

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Sherry, I am so so sorry for the loss fo your dad.  You are lucky to have a warm, supportive family to surround you during the difficult days ahead.  Big gentle hugs to you hon.  Take care please.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Sherry, I am so very sorry for your loss. I am holding you close in my prayers and am praying for a good appointment with your onc today. HUGS.

Janis, I am in your pocket as well today. Bringing mimosas to go with the chocolate.  

• lwarstler
    lwarstler Member Posts: 123

Sherry, so sorry for the loss of your dad. What a wonderful time of love and sharing it sounds like you had with your brothers. I pray God's peace will be strong with you and your family. I'll be praying for your new tumor as well. Hugs.

Paula: It sounds like your sister has been a wonderful blessing.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368

{{{Sherry}}}

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Sherry - Peace and comfort to you and your family. I lost my father when he was only 49 to melanoma, so I missed many years with him. 

Janis - A is for AWESOME! Cool

Welcome to all the new ladies...pull up a chair and grab a beverage.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Sherry sorry for your loss. I know it's little comfort but at least your Dad's not sick or feeling anymore pain. My prayers aare with you and your family. Maybe your onc wants to see you right away because of concern for your mental health following the loss of your Dad and how you will react to your physical issues because of it. Still hoping for B9 results for you.

Thinking of tou Janis and hoping for an A on your biopsy today.

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

Sherry....may our dear Lord bless your father with eternal peace and may He comfort your family. I'm praying for your MO appt today too...

Janis...praying for plan A today!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Sherry - So sorry for the loss of your Dad - sending hugs and prayers for you and your family.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    sherry, you're in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362

Sherry, heartfelt sympathy and warm hugs to you and yours at this time. You are in my prayers and thoughts.

Teklya

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

My sympathy and prayers, Sherry. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

My surgery was cancelled!  I am so upset because we got to the hospital and I was good to go.  Got a nice fat IV poke in my hand and that was painful. IV all set, they gave me an oral pill to take for nausea.  All the routine BP and all that, everything looking good.  The anesthesiologist came in and chatted up, young gal and so nice.  She said as soon as the docotr came in she would be back with "happy drugs".  He came in and we talked, all set to go.  Got happy drugs.  Well, I wasn't happy when right after the doctor came back and told me the surgery was cancelled!  His associate who monitors a machine that measures the nerve pulses...was MIA.  My doctor was so nice and felt so bad but he said he had no choice.  They were clearly worried about the missing man, said he had not shown up nor could they reach him.  How odd.  Anyway that was that.  Got dressed and went home.  He did say we are rescheduling for next Thursday, but DH said the nurse simply told him Thursday.  So, have to clarify that.

Thanks to each and every one of you who have lent support and good thoughts.  I'll save them for next time!  :)

I hope the pocket party was fun at least my friends!  Looks like we will be doing it again soon! 

• elimar
    janis, I know this is a trifle nit-picky, but I wonder if they plan to charge you for the drug or prelim. services.  I'd make a pro-active phone call because, in my experience, it is more difficult to remove the charges once the billing gets posted.  You shouldn't have to pay for any of today.
  • KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324
    Janis-What freakin bummer!  You would think they had a backup plan so you don't have to stress this again. WOW!  Lots of (((hugs))) girl and hang in there!
  • cmbear

OH MY!!!! I'm with Eli, I sure those Happy Drugs were free! How frustrating!! It is hard to believe that there was no other person available. Sure hope the guy wasn't passed out at some bar some where!!