Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Thanks, marlegal!  Too much like my everyday look, minus curlers, when I'm chillin' at the crib.  I did loan out my lounging apparel to my older boy when he was in middle school and he and 3 buddies all went as hausfraus.

Well, looks like I might go costumeless.  That's o.k., my husband got me a weird glow in the dark skull-like t-shirt about 6 years ago.  I can finally break that out, I guess.  It still has the tags on it.  Hahaha!

Remind me to tell you of the best costume I ever had tomorrow, and what a hilarious time I had wearing it.  It is a good story.  I may even post a picture of it and leave it on this thread forever for all to see, if I can scan it in.  I rarely scan, so I hope I remember how to do that.  Only if you remind me.

• LovesChristmas-Barb
    LovesChristmas-Barb Member Posts: 504

I was at the Hallmark store today looking at their 2011 ornaments and they have a pink ribbon angel ornament for the Komen Foundation. What? Am I the only one who doesn't want to commemorate the year I was diagnosed with cancer? I can't imagine hanging that on my Christmas tree...

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    nope.  i don't want one either, barb58.  i'll end 2011 getting rads, so i'd just as soon forget the whole year!
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

oh Lord...a pink ribbon ornament? seriously??? i hate the whole pink thing anyway...i feel pressure from those who know i had cancer to perform or something!  so no tree ornaments for me thank you very  much!!

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

E - you can go as a homicidal maniac, they look just like everyone else!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

MP - close-up of fish scales?

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362

oh, I will go one better.  I saw a gal who kept a photo diary of her cancer experience, yes you read right.  not sure if she was very brave or nuts!

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599

Hope you don't mind if I join in here. I'm on the ish side of 60.... and I really really like Cheetos!

Thinking about a great costume but, you've probably already gone, Elmer. But a pair of black tights and a black T-shirt that you put yellow stripes on... black stocking cap and go as a bumble bee.

That way it shows off your great legs. Wink

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250

I have not been on in a while. I have missed all of you. I got over welmed this past few weeks. We are short tellers at work, and I have been working a few extra hours each day, and I started radiation last week, and that adds an extra apt. each day. then I got really sick with a chest cold this last week, so I just finished some antibiotics.  The radiation, was mild this last week, but I notice this weekend, that my skin is already peeling on the areola and nipple area, and my three scars are very red, so I am a bit nervous for the upcoming 6 weeks of radiation. I am coating aquaphor after each treatment.

I also want to ask. I am 5 weeks out from my last chemo, and my hair seemed to be trying to grow back, and the last several days, it is falling out again. the evidence is on my pillow each morning. Cry Has this same thing happened to anyone, Is it normal. I am wondering how long, before my hair really tries to grow back for real.

• zumbagirl
  • zumbagirl
    This is me "The bar maid" and my husband "The scottsman in the stylish kilt, at a Halloween party last night. It was so much fun., and it felt neat to have amazing long hair , better than my real hair, at any stage in my life Laughing
  • samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    Zumbagirl, I can't help you with the chemo but I also had pealing of the nipple area. All the skin pealed off and was sore for a while. The boost area under my arm did the same thing. I used aloe all day long applying whenever I thought about it. I had a small bottle at my desk and when no one was looking.... I wore sport bras so it was easy to apply. Wink Some of the girls on my rads thread used emu oil. I finally found it at a health/vitamin shop locally. I was past rads so didn't use it. I've still got a "tan" line and I finished rads 7/10. Lately I've been using castor oil to soften and reduce the scar - recommended by my acupuncturist.
  • zumbagirl

thank you samsue. I guess I need to apply more than just after the treatment. How bad will the skin get in the next 6 weeks. If I apply through the day, will it prevent blistering?

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Zumbagirl, love your costumes!  I am doing rads right now too.  I am using Aquaphor.  I have aloe, but the RO recommended Aquaphor once I got red.  I am pretty red.  The top of my chest, on top of the breast also has a rash in addition to the redness.  RO says they see that were you've had sun damage in the past.  Spent all my summers as a kid on the beach, so I have had my share of sun, and I am very fair on top of that.  They gave me hydrocortozone for that because it's pretty itchy.  But nothing is sore.  I have two more weeks, I'm also worried how much worse it will get before I finish.

Not a rant about the weather, but I had an inch of ice I had to pick off my car this morning.  Luckily it was warm enough today that all the snow and ice we got yesterday is all melted now.  Good sign for the trick or treaters tomorrow.  Have my candy ready.  I think I overbought big time.  Hopefully I will keep from eating too much of it.  Happy Halloween everyone!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

did we get an answer on the mystery pic??

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

I've been off the board for several days, so I'm pages and pages behind. I hope everyone is doing well. My almost 93 year old dad was in the hospital for several days with pneumonia and a UTI. He was then sent to rehab. They wanted him to stay a week. He lasted less than 48 hours before we took him home. He's up and walking with his cane, but still weak. He doesn't remember that he had pneumonia or that he was even in the hospital, so he couldn't figure out why he had to stay in rehab. I got him out of the house for a while yesterday before the storm hit to take him shopping for a new recliner. He has a power lift one with heat and massage, but it's too big for him. He manged to slide down in it and was too weak to pull himself up. He was too far down for my DB#2 to use the power lift. He would have slid right out of the chair.After DB manages to pull him up and get him out of the chair. Dad comments that he's weak and should be in the hospital - no kidding. His memory loss and dementia are getting worse. If it wasn't for the housekeeper that comes every day, we would never be able to keep him at home. We may get to that point eventually and based on his brief rehab stay, it won't be an easy transition.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    i'm so sorry you're dealing with this, hautie, especially with everything else.  i hope you and he both get some relief soon.
  • Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Thanks Ya Ya. Unfortunately, my family has been through this before. I lost my mother to Alzheimer's. She was a 2 time BC survivor and it was so awful to watch her slip away bit by bit that I think I would have rather lost her to BC. My father's dementia seems different. He knows us (usually) and still has most of his self help skills. He has absolutely no short term memory. It's like that Drew Barrymore movie "Fifty First Dates" everyday. His long term memory isn't so hot either. His clearest memories are about  60 + years ago. The only good thing is that he seems to have forgotten the horrors he witnessed during WW2 and is no longer having nighmares about it.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Well Ladies you came close with the fish and octopus but it is actually close up of a crab I found on the beach in cuba.When i cropped the shot I accidently canceled the original photo.Whoops

• mumito

How s this for a cool Halloween pumpkin

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Regarding the picture above: why is it that comics tend to put the title page of a book on the wrong side of a book???? I HATE it!!! Can't they figure out that when the picture is printed that the words are on the back of the book and not the front. Does anyone else hate this or is it only me? (no surprise if it is)

Of course it's a crab, Mum! I guess you get to post again next week.

• elimar
    Yes, mumayan, why don't you do Mystery Pic again next week, although honorable mentions to Eph and Barbe for at least guessing in the sea creature family.
  • mumito

OK I will try to find something for next weekend.

• elimar

I kinda like this one myself.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Happy Halloween everyone!  Love the pumpkins.

I got real weird/sick over the past several days.  Started out Wednesday with what I thought was a cold, which has never flattened me like this.  I had a sore throat and slight cough but HUGE fatigue.  I slept a lot and was dizzy when I got up.  I ate, but went right back to bed.  This went on for days.  Yesterday I felt better most of the day, except for the continued dizziness.  I had insomnia last night but felt better this morning but still weak.  Ate a good breakfast...cereal and a banana.  Not an hour later got up to help DH in the kitchen and that strange dizzy thing hit again, disoriented, eyes not right.  Hubby finally got so upset he told me to call the doc NOW, or he was taking me to the ER.

So I called, talked to my MO's nurse and she called me back.  I have been on Arimidex just over two weeks.  She said he told me to stop taking it NOW, and if the dizzy spells continue to go to the ER.

So I took it easy today and feel better, no more dizziness.  I take the Arimidex early morning so of course already took one today.  No more.  I go back on the 10th of November and guess they will decide then what to do.

My thryroid surgery is still a go for this Thursday.  I just want my life back to normal!!!!!

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

My pumpkins are nearly as fancy, but here they are:

Happy Halloween! Boooooooooooooooooooo!

• elimar
    marthah,  Nice carving!  I didn't carve the one I posted.  No way.  Happy Halloween!!!
  • marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

elimar...

Oops...my bad! What I meant was "aren't"...not "are"! Geesh...I'm such a dork! Or I have happy fingers!

I like using those patterns you can buy. Makes jack-o-lanterns pretty cool. I'm not nearly creative enough to come up with the designs.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Hi all.  Its been a busy busy weekend.  Since I have gotten my groove back its been nonstop again.  I am needing a break.  Zumba love the pic.  You look like your had a blast.  Love the pumpkin pics. 

My daughter is coming for a 2 week visit.  I cant wait.  We are getting tats for the ocassion.  Not matching, we have different tastes, just new ones.  Shes getting stars and Im getting a sugar skull. 

Well I meet with a CWI on Thursday and am a bit nervous.  Its my first grownup meeting since my new job and I have been on top of things.  Just in a new area and I want to make for sure I dont come off looking like a dork too much.  Ive had to start training the guys so my desk has been a cluster and when we chatted on the phone a few questons he asked me I had to wing it because I was going off memory because I didnt have the info right at hand.  But then again I didnt know what to expect from him anyway so Im not gonna beat myself up too much. 

Hugs to you Hauntie.  It has to be tough with with your dad. Seeing our parents getting older is hard.  

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Wow when I got on it said the last time was the 18th, guess I have been off for awhile.  Lots going on.

SherryC - so sorry you are having to deal with more surgery but I like your boss.  You just need to get healthy.  By the way, my son is heading down to San Antonio Sunday.  The band got 2nd in Area UIL band compention and earned the honour of going to State.  They play at the Alamo Dome Tuesday.  I will not be able to make the trip due to work and I messed up my knee.

Concerning my knee, must of messed it up when I helped out on one of the Band competions.  My orthpidic Dr is being conservative.  Gave me a cortizone shot, doing PT and then see at the end of this month if we need an MRI.

Since I have not kept up on things, best wishes to all going though treatments and surgeries.  Hope everyone had a safe Holloween.

Fomerly mjbmiller.

Jessie