Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Prayers for Sherry today! I brought all of our leftover Halloween candy for all of us in her pockets.

I hope you feeling all better soon Janis.

Welcome to tiedyemom though I'm sorry you have to join us this way...

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Oh Mum, I love the flowers, they're beautiful! (I am much better thank goodness cause the Mediterranean cruise is in 12 days)!

Val, what a way to deter you from buying candy!  I'm not fond of walmart either but sometimes one just has to go there for cheaper prices on stuff!

Barbe1958, ditto your post on these stupid alcohol studies!!!

tiedyemom, I had a positive lymph node.  My mastectomy was first and they thought my nodes were negative however, on closer inspection they found cancer in one node.  That meant chemo and radiation for me.  I'm not sure but I'm guessing they'll still follow the current plan with the chemo first and then surgery.   If you have other questions, feel free to ask or you can private message me if you'd like.

I'm thinking of Sherry.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I posted on the Stage I thread and a rant just came out of me today.  The alcohol article stirred it up, but it's the whole lot of "change your lifestyle" mantras out there. 

Here is my rant:

We've all come across talk, articles and threads on here about changing diet and lifestyle since getting a B/C diagnosis.  Well, maybe I am just stubborn or lazy or both, but I haven't hopped on the bandwagon on all that change.  

First of all, the only risk factors I had were kids at a later age and taking BC pills for some years.  Well, that's in the past, so I can't change those risk factors now. 

I'm fit and at a healthy weight, but I cannot afford the cost of a 100% organic lifestyle.  Should I change my diet because of studies out now, that could be reversed in a couple more years when another costly study is done on the same nonsense?   (How many times has caffiene gone from good-bad-good-bad?  I've lost track!)   What should I eat this week?

So, second, not knowing what brought on my B/C, should I just guess what needs to be changed?  That does not make sense to me.  

Third, radiation (the kind from our treatments and all those mammos) is known to cause cancer, well, the mutation of cells anyway.  I don't see anyone in a big rush to change that part of our lifestyles.  Everytime I go for mammo (and the squisher broke my blood vessels the last two times on my treatment side) and then they need "extra views" with more radiation bombardment, I wonder if I am doing more harm than good.   And this they tell me I need.

Love how B/C brought its own special confusion into my life.
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Why does no one point blame when a guy gets testicular cancer??? How about brain cancer - is that cause you're too smart????? I hear you e..!!!!!

• elimar

Right on, Barbe!  What are all the things the guy did to cause that?  What are all the things he needs to change in his lifestyle?  Most importantly, why don't I have brain cancer yet?  Should I be worried I've dropped some IQ points along the way?  Tee-hee and a ha-ha-hah!

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368

Wasn't there talk a while ago about how talking on cell phones can cause brain cancer? Obviously everyone's too busy talking on their phones to pay attention to that...

Me, I haven't changed anything I've been doing so far (always did all the right things anyway). My mom had B/C when she was 36, and considering she tested negative for the gene, I did pretty well not getting it until I was 48. I can't sit around and waste my life not doing what I want to do, waiting for the other shoe to drop. As I read elsewhere recently, instead of waiting for that proverbial shoe to drop, I've opted to put it on and dance!

That said, I've made some calls today to a couple local lymphedema therapists, because I'm still puffy and uncomfortable in the ribs under my arm and by my shoulder blade. Better to rule out than ignore, right?

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Yes I am abit confused as well.  What happens with the BRCA chic and dudes who are positive.  Does this mean a double trouble or what.  I get so confused anymore that I just am to the point that I dont buy into alot of it anymore.  Just like the news article today about nipple sparing surgery is safe.  If I had left my nipples intact I would have been in trouble.  I didnt present with Pagents, but when they did the biopsy they found it.  It even states in there that I didnt even have signs of it.  Enough already, work on a cure instead already!

• Lory48
    Lory48 Member Posts: 266

Hello Ladies, may I join in? I was diagnosed 10 Oct after feeling a lump. I went to have an MRI yesterday, which the dye made me sick, will have to redo on Monday. I will be having the sentinal node surgery, along with the port surgery on Wednesday. First chemo day will be the 15th..

I have researching and preparing myself for everything coming up

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Lory, sorry you have to be here but glad you are prepping for experience none of us wanted.  Triple negative so you get the chemo card without passing go...do you know what your cocktail will consist of? (I tried to have them give me a vodka/soda with a splash of cranberry, but NOT once did I get that!) Some people have that allergic reaction to the dye.  Do they do no contrast for the re-do?  Good luck on your journey!  PS - ports are the bomb! Much better than getting stuck each time in a vein!

• Lory48

I was given handouts on the cocktail..Docetaxel and Cylophosphamide.. anyone have any experience with these? 2-3 3 week rounds.. I can tell you I would much rather have that vodka/cranberry as well!

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

Lory,

Nice to meet you...sorry it's not under better circumstances. 

I had TC (Taxotere and Cyclophosphamide), x6 rounds, every 3 wks. Four days after my first infusion I felt like I'd been hit by a truck...like a bad case of the flu. And I'd get that way each time -- infusion on Fridays, counts would tank on the following Tuesdays. It would take 1.5 to 3 days for me to recup, and it would magnify a little in duration each time, so by the end of #6, I was pooped OUT!

Are you working full time or part time? Now is a good time to start getting your FMLA paperwork in order. 

Stick around...we'll help you through it. Kiss

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

tiedyemom and lory48, welcome!  Sorry you had to join.

I had a few positive nodes Tiedyemom.  I am not sure how it would change your plan, it would probably require some nodes to be removed with surgery and possibly also radiation after surgery.  It could be that was going to be recommended any way though.  Ask away, it will ease your mind to have women here who know exactly what you're talking about.

Lory, I had taxotere, not taxol and did not have cyclophosphamide, so can't comment too much.  I did have one infusion of Taxol before finding out I was allergic.  The one se that I got was bone pain.  If you get it, the onc will give you pain meds if you want them.  I did okay on just advil.

Janis, so sorry to hear you aren't feeling well and had to put off surgery AGAIN!  Feel better and I will be there with you next Thursday.

Sherry, praying for B9 as I munch on all the goodies in your pockets.  Healing thoughts being sent your way.

• Lory48

I left my job in May after a neck injury at work.. applied for disabilty.  So I will be able to recup after each round without the worry of work.

• elimar

Greetings, Lory48!  Is the chemo first because your tumor size is large on the imaging?  That is not a lot of chemo.  Is there any more planned for after your surgery?  Do you know which surgery you will get?

marthah,  I haven't heard too much about Cyclophosphamide...any chance of keeping hair with that one?

Thinking B9 thought about Sherryc.  Give the girl a break!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Elimar & barbe-Amen sistahs!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

tiedye and lory48 welcome.  The gals around here are a great bunch.  If you have any questions post away.  Someone will be able to help.  Good luck with your up coming tests and treatments.  Im sorry we have to meet this way. 

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Welcome tiedye and lory48 to the club no one wants to be a member of.  These ladies are super and have lots of information and support to give.  Just jump in anytime and ask a question.  These gals can get wild and crazy sometimes and at the same time get serious if they need to.

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

elimar and lory,

I'm not sure which of the 2 drugs are responsible for hair loss. I think they both contribute. I have very fine straight hair, which I was wearing fairly short (due to perimenopausal night sweats). Once I noticed more than normal hair coming out, I shaved my head. That was a couple weeks after my 1st infusion. By that time, my scalp was becoming very sensitive. After my second infusion, I had a fair amount of stubble coming out in the shower (you still shampoo and condition your scalp like you normally do). However, the hair loss stopped after that. Overall I probably lost about 30% of my hair, in patches. But I was glad I shaved my head because the patchy thing would have looked nasty, and the hair was irritating my scalp. 

I probably wouldn't shave down as much as I did, and just use some clippers. 

lory, just ask your MO for some good drugs. LaughingInnocent That'll help, especially if you experience a tender scalp. I was on low dose vicoden (5 mg hydrocodone w/tylenol). That stuff was a real life-saver, along with some lorazepam for sleeping and to take before my infusions. 

you can do this! 

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Welcome tiedye and lory48 but sorry you have to be here because of BC.  Everyone here is really great at helping out with questions and positive support.  We even know how to throw a pocket party when you need it. 

Thanks everyone again for the birthday wishes!  It was the best day of this really crappy year.  Had a fantastic dinner out with my DS and DIL and grandson.  DH was working but we will go out this weekend.  The best present was a new job!  Quit the one I did get 3 months ago because of very poor management.  I don't do well with chaos everyday anymore, just too stressful and fatiguing.  The hours will be better at the new job too.  I start tomorrow!  Kitty

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Congrats on the new job, Kitty! Less stress, that's always a good thing!

Welcome tiedye & lory! I'm so sorry you have to be here but glad you have found us. This entire group of wonderful sistas is as solid as a rock.

(( Sherry ))

(( Janis ))

• Guess what ladies??!!!  M lymph nodes kicked ass today!!  FOUR ulstrasounds later the doc finally says " I'm going to call your surgeon and let him know there is nothing here that I can stick a needle in.....your nodes are healthy and the spot he was looking at is just a small mass of muscles tissue"!!  When I let him know that I'm a groomer and lift 60 lb dogs all day he agreed that that probably explained the larger muscle area!!  So HA!!!  It's just the breasts to worrie bout!!!

Now onto chemo and genetic testing.  Anything I should know bout chemo?  Any pointers or helps? 

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

That is GREAT news on the nodes!!

I didn't have chemo or genetic testing, so I can't help you there. I had a lumpectomy & Rads.

You're doing great so far. We are here for you!

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

great news tiedye, i had lumpectomy/rads so no help on the chemo questions

• Kitty,

CONGRATULATIONS on knowing your boundaries where chaos is concerned AND on the new job!  Best of luck tomorrow!  What do you do?  I'm new to the thread, due to start chemo "soon" as per my doc (I'm learning to ask more specific questions so I'll have more info)  Can you tell me where you are at with treatment?  It's encouraging to hear that you are not only working but gutsy enough to start a new job while going through treatment!  Kudos to you girl!

Cindy 

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369

Today, I am a 17 year survivor of breast cancer. I know how lucky I am to still be here.  I celebrate my survival and am very grateful.for my NED status. Unfortunately, in the 17 years since I was diagnosed, many relatives and friends have been diagnosed with this awful disease. I have also lost many friends and through BCO have made many friends who are living with metastatic breast cancer. Enough already. WE NEED A CURE NOW!!!!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

Congrats Hauntie we all really need to hear stories like yours.Go and celebrate the day with your family and loved ones.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Someone asked about BRCA testing and it's effects and I want to answer them.  I was diagnosed at age 48, got BRCA testing based on my age and a family history of pancreatic cancer.  I am, thank the good Lord, mutation negative.  When I was going thru the counseling and testing process what I learned is that having a BRCA 1 or BRCA2 mutation increases the risk of a second breast cancer and increases the risk of ovarian cancer, especially the BRCA2 mutation.  If I had tested positive for a mutation I would have had my ovaries removed for 2 reasons, to stop taking lupron to shut them down so I can take arimidex  and to decrease the risk of developing ovarian cancer.  Women (and men, too) with one of the mutations need aggressive screeing for breast and ovarian cancers, as in ultrasounds, MRIs, CTs, etc every 6 months or so.  I knew I couldn't live with that kind of testing schedule, so I would have opted for ooperectomy and had already arranged for a prophylactic mastectomy of my remaining breast.  Having one of the mutations changes your risk numbers and that has to be factored into your care plan. 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Hauntie, congrats on your anniversary!   That is wonderful for you and for all of us to hear as well!

Keep on trucking my surgery buddy!  How are you doing with that?  Are you all recovered yet?

I had chemo, but different ones than they're planning for you I think.  They used the "big guns" on me because of multiple tumors, size and nodes involved.  But it was all doable.  Not fun, but doable.  The best thing to do is to join the thread to go through it with other women having chemo at the same time.  You will be surprised how much that helps and how close you get.  I just had lunch yesterda (after both of us had a rads treatment) with a friend from the March 2011 chemo lounge.  Had a great time.  We talked about cancer the whole lunch though.  We vowed we are doing it again in a couple of weeks and will not talk about cancer then.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Kitty congrats on a new, less stressful job!  Way to go woman.  I wish you much luck on your new endeavor. 

Hauntie....really happy you have achieved this wonderful milestone!  Happy hugs!

Welcome new ladies....you found the best place around for support and information.  And food!  :) 

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Hauntie - Big congrats on such a milestone.  What an inspiration you are to the rest of us.  You give us hope

tiedyemom - Great news on the nodes.  I had a lumpectomy, rads and Tamoxifen so I can't help you withe the chemo question.  I know someone will come along and help out.