Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195

SAB,

Oh, I choose hope too...don't get me wrong. And the 15 subjects they are enrolling is only the U.S. study. I have no idea how to access any studies done in Israel, or how to verify them. 

Peer review is supposed to temper bias...the NIH has very stringent rules investigators must follow (I know because this is what give me job security! Cool). I'd be watching for this group to start collaborting with investigators from EU and the US and/or CA. I would not expect anything to turn up in BCA circles until they are able to prove the effectiveness with the mulitple myeloma subjects first. 

What saddened me in reading the protocol is that these are only Phase I & II clinical studies...meaning the subjects, the people, enrolling in these studies are on their last hope. They've tried everything else, and all else has failed. How brave. I'm not sure if I were in their shoes I'd have the same courage. But this is the sad fact of research...it has to begin somewhere. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

It sounds like your work is fascinating marthah. It will be interesting to follow the genesis of this treatment, and I am also grateful for those who pioneer this (or any other) drug.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Back from the BS and NO CANCER, thank you Jesus!!! Lot's of other crap going on in my breast but no BC.  Thank you all for your prayers and support. Don't know what I would do without all of you.

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

Sherry,

Wonderful news!!

Trish

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    Just catching up on this thread, and I'm SO THRILLED to see it have Sherry's good news!! Happy, happy day!
  • Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Hooray Sherry!!!!!!!!

• marthah
    marthah Member Posts: 195
    Yay, sherry!
  • SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Yay sherry!

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
  • justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Sherry jumping for joy here for you.  Big congratulations!!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Sherryc, I sent this plane to fly over your house and do a few barrel rolls...did you see it?

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Yipeeeeeeee SherryC!!!  Im so happy for you!  Doing mental cartwheels as I type!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Sherry!! 

Happy dance for you!!! 

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Yay Sherry - mental cartwheels are all I can do lol.

• Thank you, dear Lord, for Sherry's good news!!! I'm so happy for you!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Wonderful news, Shery!  Yay!!

Janis, you'll be in a few days.  Hoping for the same news for you.

How are you feeling Reesie?

I saw the RO for the last time (hopefully) for 3 months.  Monday is "doctor" day, and I finish up (hopefully) on Friday.  I am very red though, but no peeling or blistering yet.  RO gave me something to use in case I do blister after Friday.  I forget what he called it, but you mix a packet with water, then wet a wash cloth and sit that on the blistering area, then apply aquaphor after.  Hope it doesn't come to that.  I was supposed to get two more bolluses of the 4 txs left, but he canceled the bollus since in his words, my skin is "sufficiently red".  It will be so good to have this behind me.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Just got tix to see Blackthorn at a theatre a mile from my house on Friday night (which happens to be my last day of rads!!)!  WooHoo!  Any one here ever heard of them?

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    sherry, YAY!!!!!  that's fabulous news!
  • Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369
    Sherry - So happy about your good news. Reading it brought tears to my eyes - happy tears.
  • valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Sherry ~ As I said on the Stage 1 thread, I really don't want to swear, but the first thing I thought of when I read your wonderful news was: Hot Damn!!!

I am very happy for you, sista!

Big hugs!

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748

SHERRY!!!! YAY!!!! What great news! Thanks be to God! Celebrate! I hope whatever else is going on is easily resolved.

Tori

• Got a letter of referral to oncologist on Saturday (why do these things always arrive on a weekend?)  SAME oncologist who handled my mom last year with her breast cancer. Called the number and got a recording saying leave my info and if I don't hear back in two days please call them again!!!  REALLY??!!  Don't they realize who precious two days are right now??

Is anyone else flip flopping between doing great and feeling depressed??  How do you know when you need help with the depression?  I've just started this journey and it seems my hard days are more and more frequent!  Really hate the idea of daily antidepressants but don't want to live in my bed (like my Mom has)

Cindy 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

tideymom....I am sorry you struggle with the depression.  Is this completely new to you, or have you had some in the past?  Situational depression is normal when hit with something like this.  If you don't want to take meds, I can only suggest finding happy things to do and to focus on.  Positive energy is so good, and finding things that make you happy now will help.  Don't compare yourself to your mom.  Two different women and of course you have much in common.  However, you can choose to handle your cancer with diginty and grace....and of course depression here and there is still okay!  I mean..normal!  Nobody is sunshine all the time, but being happier is so much more healing than being miserable.  Take walks or do any exercise you like.  Very very good for the body and soul.  Try to find something special that makes you feel good every day.  Polish your toenails and put some glitter polish on top.  Easy, cheap and festive.  Take time out to read a good book, or even watch favorite old comedies on TV that are rerun from the 70's and 80's.  Indulge yourself there.  If you have the energy, bake something really delicious and find two people to share it with.  A neighbor you don't know well,  your nurses, a friend.  Giving to others is super, super healing.  I love to bake, but sharing is what brings me the joy. 

I hope this helps hon and know that things will be a roller coaster for awhile.  Again the feelings of depression are normal, but if you dwell there it is not going to help.  If it continues please talk to your doctor about.  There are many safe anti depressants out there and if you need one, you may need to try.  I sure hope you find other ways to beat it, but if not there is no shame at all in seeking help.  It is a bigger shame not to.

Feel better, PM me if you just want to screech!!!! 

Big hugs headed your way!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Tideymom--Janis said it so well, don't be afraid to ask for meds if that is the route you want to take, but keep your mind busy--do something fun  that helps keep your mind busy. And exercise is always great for getting the stress out. 

Kay--only 4 more days, four more days, WOO-HOO!!! Your almost there!!!! 

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Ok I have had many a bad hair days in the past.  But this poodle do has to go.  I loved my straight hair from pre chemo not liking the post chemo do so much.  It has a mind of its own and no matter what I do its got a mind of its own.  What have you gals used in the past to have some control to it.  Its not real long, so a cut is outa the question right now. 

((((Cindy)))) Janis did say it best.  We are all different and if the meds route isnt for you just the little things can take your mind to a different place.  Take it easy on yourself.  I hope you get news soon.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Cindy, you are responding appropriately for some pretty scary news. Cancer IS a big deal. If you weren't stressed or anxious, then something would be wrong. BUT if your angst keeps you from living properly (staying bedridden for instance) then you would probably benefit from some chemical assistance. A lot of people start antidepressants but then stop when they don't feel better right away. Or, they say they feel woozy. It takes your body a couple of weeks to build up enough drug to make you feel better and allow your body to get used to the new chemical addition. You should not feel spacey at all. The technology is there to help you. I know that I, for one, couldn't have functioned without chemical aid. Good luck, sweetie!

GREAT news Sherri!!!

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Whoo hoo Sherry!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

tiedyemom,  You will see a lot of references to B/C as a "rollersoaster" just for that feeling you describe.  (I like rollercoasters too much for that analogy, but you get the idea.)   I don't know how open you are to perhaps finding another oncologist, one whose office would get back to you the same day or the following morning.  Two days of suspense just seems unnecessary, and like they are not keyed in at all to their patients mental state.

p.s.  Agree with Janis about ways of coping with depression.

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

Janis you have said it all and we all have been on that road.  So Cindy, your feeling are valid and very much the norm.  Your choice to use anti D's or not would depend on the quality of life you want.  Hang in there and you will know what is right for you.  I take anti D's now and resisted at first.  My days are now much better with the help and I can better deal with the everyday stressors without freaking out.  My saying to myself is just "float and drift", it will get better.

Sherry here's to your good news!