Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I'll be there for you Ceezetheday, too!! It meant a lot to mean to know that you guys were in my pocket. Silly as it sounds, it does make a difference!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

I think I've missed a couple of PPs  - really need to get back into the swing of things.

Count me in for Monday Ceeztheday!

Valjean - the stockings really are terrific. I've tried my hand at creativity a few times with minimal success. I did make some nice "green" arrangements last week with cedar, evergreen etc.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Hello All, I just found this thread. And I can relate. I am 59, but had my kids later in life and they are 26 and 24, just out of the house and I was starting to travel. I had just said that I thought maybe it was my turn now and I got dianosised on Dec 8th. Needless to say no holly jolly Christmas cards this year. I am having my lump &SNB on thursday the 22nd. My sister and mother both had BC and are both gone now. My father just passed in March. I have always taken care of everyone and run a business.

I had an abnormal mamm. in Oct., they called me back but I was on my way to visit my daughter in CO. so put it off until I got back, had second mamm. on Nov 16th and then biospy on Dec 2. I am so glad I went to CO. I had such a good time and so much fun. Now when I ask my BS when I can plan my next vacation she says you can plan it just don't buy any tickets.

So my daughter is flying east to be with me for the surgery and my son is coming home from college to be here too. This holiday time is hard. When I say my kids will be home for  Christmas people who don't know what is going on get so excited for me.

I woke up this morning with a pain behind my right breast (maybe a rib?) This is the BC breast, could it be left over from the biospy?

Anyway I need some people to talk to,

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Aww, macatacmv, so sorry you are joining us. This is a fine group of women who will hold your hand each step of the way. I had some pain after the biopsy but not to worry, soon it will be gone! I was fine after my lumpectomy and didn;t even need a tylenol! Keep coming here for support!

Ceezetheday, I'm in there, too!

• I'm sorry you have to join us macatacmv but welcome. These ladies are wonderful....they understand when no one else does. I also had some pain after my biopsy because my lump was deep.

I'll be in your pocket too ceezetheday!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome, macatacmv!   Sorry this means you will be having a Breast Cancer Christmas this year.  If all goes well, you may not be feeling too badly by the 25th.  The lumpectopmy surgery is not terrible.  Most women have a bit more pain in the SNB area, probably because moving your arm pulls on that surgical area, plus you can get some temp. numbness or nerve twinges in that area too.  Plan to have at least 24-48 hours of down time to let you body get rid of all the general anesthesia that stays in your system. 

Do whatever you need to do early in the week, then just rest, relax, enjoy the decorations and most of all having your family around you.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Welcome macatakmv! Sorry you are here, but we will help you through. It will be all right. It des suck though, especially at this time of year.

Ceezeteday, I will be in your pocket on Monday. I have an echo on Monday at 9, and am nervous as well. I hope it will be back to normal, I don't know if I want to get back to the herceptin or not, but I do want normal heart function back. I'll worry about the herceptin later. I have been feeling my heart beating faster (is that what heart palpitations are?), so I am not sure what to think of that. I didn't notice anything like that before the last echo, but maybe I was just oblivious to it.

Have a great weekend everyone. I think I am going out shopping soon.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Thanks so much everyone! Hugs.

• elimar

Have to mention that my hot flashes have become more managable, since the beginning of December.  I am definitely going to back Kleenex's theory about humidity playing a big part in the severity of the hot flash.  Last year, I got a break Nov. thru' Mar., but this Nov. was warmer.  

What does this mean to me?  Well, I had cut back my Tamox. dosage to 15mg. since about June.  My doctor knows this too.   I have recently gone back up to the recommended 20 mg. because I can tolerate it again. The only thing I have to watch out for now, is overeating.  A giant meal can set me off too.  It doesn't matter what I eat, but how much.

Are any of you other Tamox.-takers noticing a Winter decrease in your hot flashes?

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

I am not any help, I just started tamoxifen a month ago. I must be the only one alive who likes hot flashes, but they are very quick and I don't sweat at all with them. Jalapeño peppers definitely bring them on, and I am eating them like they're going out of style. I can't get enough of them. I like that little hot burst that comes and goes quickly. I keep waiting for a bad one to come, I did have a few really bad night sweats on AC, but haven't since.

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    Lol Kay, You are the first person I have heard of that likes hot flashes. I have them day and night, and am not a fan of them. at night they can soak me with sweat, then I get the chills. I just finished radiation, and will begin weekly herceptins again. They just tested to see if I am fully menopausal, and if so will start one of the aroma based inhibitors next week for five years. Hopefully they won't increase my hot flashes, because at the rate and intensitiy I have them, I will turn into a pile of ashes Tongue out
  • macatacmv

Thanks 2 Barbs and elimar. I slept for 3 days after the core needle biopsy, but had no real pain. I am putting up the tree today and wrapping presents. Working only 1/2 day. Going to a Christmas dinner tonight. I am trying to take it easy because I am so tired, so I'll have to work a nap in there after I take the dog to the dog park. Staying busy and focused on other things is the way I am getting though the days. I am so looking forward to my kids being home. Bright Spot!!!!!!! always looking for the bright spots!

• sherrybaby
    sherrybaby Member Posts: 18

Quick question for all you knowledgeable ladies. I have found two bumps/lumps in my BC breast. What tissue I have remaining after my MX has been very soft until I found these earlier in the week. I talked to my onco nurse while getting chemo yesterday and she recommended I go back to my BS because they are showing up right below the scar line. After that long explaination, my question is if any of you have experienced anything similar. The nurse thinks it is just patches of scar tissue and I am just trying really hard not to worry about it until my appointment after Christmas.

Sherry

• elimar
    sherrybaby,   Definitely see the BS.  Mine always checked the surgical area thoroughly, and if he/she has any question, you may need imaging or biopsy.   What seems a bit odd to me is that you did not have these earlier in your healing (or at least you did not notice it.)  Not trying to be scary, but the scar area is a common place for recurrence so you must find out what those lumps are.  That said, I only had lumpectomy.  After initial swelling went down, I could feel a linear group of lumps.  It was during my rads time 2 mos. after surgery, and my RO said it was the internal stitches that got encapsulated by scar tissue and had not dissolved.  If this turns out to be the case with you, gteting PT massage of the area can help break down those lumps.  Let us know.
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Welcome macatakmv - Sorry we have to meet like this but you have found a great bunch of supportive ladies.

I have my 6 month MO checkup first thing on Monday morning.  If I get out in time, I will be there with you ladies for the pocket party for Ceeztheday

sherrybaby - When in doubt always go back to the doctor if for nothing else but your own piece of mind.  No sense getting all stressed out about it.  We all have enough to worry about.

• Lots of pocket parties Monday...I'll try to jump in yours too, Jo and Kay!
  • macatacmv

I hate showing my ignorance, but what is a pocket party? I could just wait until monday morning and see, but I have a hard time with waiting............

• Ceeztheday

Kay- I'll be in your pocket for the echo. You made me laugh about the the hot flashes. At least somebody has a SE that they like.

• Ceeztheday

Macatacmv- Regarding pocket parties, Jo explained it best a while back. Here is what she said

"PP stands for Pocket Party - and we have a lot of those around here.  Whenever someone is going for a test or an appt, we find out what time this is to take place and we jump in that person's pockets and go along for support.  You must join us for one - they really are fun.  Sometimes we even have food and drinks - on occasion - eye candy.". Basically it's a show of support, empathy, and a way to give a nice hug to a sister in need of one.

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

A pocket party - which is headed by our wonderful cmblastic - is where we all jump into the pocket of one our sisters and "go with" them to an appointment or test to "hold" her hand. Since we're all in there we have a party with some great virtual snacks and drinks.

Santa is coming around tonight on the firetruck. My daughter is taking charge of making the cookies and hot chocolate that I usually make for the firefighters. She tried to get out of it last week at her meeting but they all yelled at her lol.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Jumping in the pockets and will bring some treats!!

Welcome Macatacmv.  Im so sorry you had to find us this way but the gals around here are great.  They do whatever they can to help with anything that you ask.  Just post away.  Plus the PP are great to have!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Sherry, you will also get deposits of fatty necrosis as the area now kind of dies off without the blood flow it had as breasts. I've had a couple of scares in the past 3 years, but now I don't even check my chest as I was getting too freaked out. I had masses that felt like fingers even!! We are supposed to 'learn' our new chests so we notices differences, but I've had differences show up even this year - 3 years later!! Always get something suspicious checked. Just tell the doc that the difference is new to you. Only you know your chest best.

• sherrybaby
    sherrybaby Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the feedback ladies!! I have just decided to not worry about it until I go see the BS on the 29th. I really appreciate all the quick responses Smile
  • marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Eli, when I was on tamox I definitely noticed a diff in winter with cooler outdoor temps. I lived for that! When I switched to Aromasin after fullly out of menopause, they were fewer, but when I stopped Aromasin this past June, it was like the hallelujah chorus went off inside me. I still get a few a day, but not a few an hour!!!

Welcome to new members. Obviously sad you had to join, but sooo glad you're in this forum, it's great

Did I miss a mystery pic???

Love and hugs sistahs

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

I must of missed the MP as well.

• That's what I am stopping by for....mystery pic?   Did anyone post one?

Have a good day everyone....IF I can find my recipes, I plan on making some Xmas cookies this morning.  

• elimar

Oh, sorry, that would be me who forgot to post a pic.  I'm going to make this one incredibly hard so think outside the box and guess away.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Wow am I having a bad trip right now.  I thought I gave up my bad girl ways, lol  Ooo wait thats the MP, lol.

I say its a  design on a sweater!!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

MP guess - Psychedelic poster?

• noodle6
    noodle6 Member Posts: 32

MP--not likely, but I'll guess "peacock"

It also looks like a collage of psychedelic eyeballs-hehe