Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

that is great Barbe!  It is so important that you like your surgeon.

Tomorrow I am back on the Herceptin train, first a cardiologist appointment, then the onc NP, then the Herceptin infusion.  I really wish my onc was in, but she just had a baby on Nov. 27.  I would feel so much more comfortable if I knew she thought I should resume the Herceptin.  I guess she would probably just defer to the cardiologist.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Happy Hannukah and thank you Elimar for the cheerful post.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Barbara that is great news.  I sure hope you feel better when it is all done.

Kay I hope your Herceptin goes OK.  Does your clinic have another Dr. looking out after you while yours is out?

Noodle sure hope you get that drain out.

• That's good Barbe!

I'm sure we'll be in your pocket tomorrow Kay...I hope it all goes well and that you have peace about it.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Make room for me in Kay's pocket.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Macatacmv and Kaye-- big pp day. We're all here for you! Mac, I'll jump out of the pocket and hold your hand during the surgery--you'll do great! Kaye you sure have a busy day! After you guys are done there, hop into my pocket. My port is coming out today-- exactly a year after my last chemo. WOOT WOOT!!!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Macatacmv and Kaye-- big pp day. We're all here for you! Mac, I'll jump out of the pocket and hold your hand during the surgery--you'll do great! Kaye you sure have a busy day! After you guys are done there, hop into my pocket. My port is coming out today-- exactly a year after my last chemo. WOOT WOOT!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Wow, lots of PPs today!! Count me in for them all....!!!

• Jumping in your pockets Macatacmv, Kay, and Claire! I baked more Christmas cookies last night to bring along!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Congrats on the milestone, cmlastic!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

LC-Barb,  Are these your cookies?  What kinds did you make this year?  I usually make one or two favorites, but this year I made the cranberry bars (again,) butter cookies (Mex. wedding cake variety,) gingerbread rice crispie treats, choc. chip/heath bar bits, and a rum cake (that has to marinate until New Year's Day.)   I'm not a big user of food coloring, so mine don't look that festive, but they taste very yummy. 

Looks like there is enough for all in the pockets today.  Good Luck,  Mac, kay, & cmb!

• I've made oatmeal choc.chip, butter cookies shaped like Christmas trees with green and red sugar, date pinwheel (old family recipe), and peanut butter with mini Reese cups (my kids' favorites). I still would like to make the Mexican wedding cookies, pineapple-cherry cookies (another old family recipe) and apricot bars which are my husband's favorite. I don't know if I'll have the time though...having this hyst/ooph in December has really slowed me down....

• elimar

Slowed down?  You did as much baking as I did!  Does that mean you haven't cleaned your bathrooms yet either?   I don't know what my excuse is 'cause I didn't have hyst/ooph.  Don't make me look like a slacker.

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

So many PPs today - count me in.

• My husband helped me with the cookies! I couldn't have done it alone...I haven't cleaned my bathrooms either..hehe...there is wrapping paper and boxes all over the living room and dining room and the only decorations up are the tree and our Nativity set. Everything needs to be vacuumed and I'm not allowed to do it...argh!

• elimar

Truther than strange department:

Nothing says Christmas like a Celebrity Nativity IN WAX.  Madame Tussaud's in London has had this display up since 2004s.  From left to right: As shepherds, Samuel L. Jackson, Hugh Grant, Graham Norton; David Beckham and his immaculately clad wife in the center, with Kylie Minogue hovering above; as Wisemen, Tony Blair, Duke of Edinburgh, and George W. Bush. So many levels of hilarlty here...season to be jolly and all that. HoHoHo!

• Ceeztheday

Hello Ladies. Is anyone else sick (or is it just me). I feel like poop. Fever, chills, achy, headache, ears filling with fluid. So far, no sore throat, no sneezing, no coughing, no runny nose. Fingers crossed that those are not next. Misery loves company. Let me know if you have this and what medicine you're taking. NyQuil isn't doing squat.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    sorry your sick,cheeze.. thankfully, we dont have anything here, but we probably will after christmas 3 of the kids visiting have runny noses. my son called me with the "good" news tonight,.. thanked me, we dropped off "gus the bus" (a kids nebulizer) the other night for my GS,bc one of his sousins is always sick when they visit.. yup, this year, too.. but, Fischer will be doing a mask with saline it it.. he thinks its cool, like the astronuts do, nana, was his comment!!... be well, and leave me a spot in the pockets, ladies......3jays
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    Elimar: o admit it, Im a thief!!!!(but you surf the net better) my in laws are getting the chanucha dogs in their email tonite.. i send one every night, and thats tonights... thanks for all your help!!!avatar, cards, etc.. i  just have to "steal" your stuff!!!hahahaha3jays
  • Kay_G

Hi everyone! Thanks for being in my pocket yesterday, everything went well. I have to get a blood test to check heart function before every herceptin infusion, but other than that, back to the normal infusions and tests. Claire and macatmv hope you made out well too.

Happy Hannukkah!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

hello all, made it through. Holding on and not looking worked pretty well. It's the nice nurses that help so much. I didn't use one of my electronic toys that  we lugged in there. Once they put the iv in my left hand I couldn't even text. Oh well! My DD kept me distracted with all the catching up we got to do.Anyway BS called my DD after the surgery and said there were no surprises. (good news) Except this whole exprience is a big surprise to me!!!!

Cmblast, that is a huge deal getting that port out. Pray it went well!

playing the waiting game again, except have the big distraction of Christmas

• seacretgardn
    seacretgardn Member Posts: 18

Hello ladies, I fit in this category and wonder if any of you who had gone through menopause found that tx brought your period back?

Most of the ladies on the Dec thread seem to be younger than my 53 years.

Had my 2nd AC yesterday, period started day prior, and is here with a vengeance, along with soaking night sweats. I'm concerned about the heavy bleeding and wondered.

I appreciate anyone's input.

Ceezetheday, I am sorry you feel so crummy. It's hard to know what to take. What does your doc

say?

Macatacmv, happy to hear your surgery went well.

I know the holidays have changed drastically for most of us this year, I hope you all find peace and joy with spending time with those you love, however it may be spent.

Hugs-Laura

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

Laura--I was borderline menopausal when I started treatment, went on lupron to shut down my ovaries, and after 2 years, when most women are menopausal, I tested pre-menopausal.  So tx can through someone in peri-menopause back into pre-menopausal status. 

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
  • Kay_G

Welcome secret garden! I was 48 at diagnosis, just about 49 now. I had one period a week after my first AC, and nothing since. My onc told it could come back even years later though. I hope not, it's a side effect I actually like. I think you can find women whose periods never stop during chemo though, even into their 50's. I think it's unusual, but not highly unusual. Chemo really does effect everyone differently. Hope you enjoy the holidays without too many se's.

• seacretgardn
    seacretgardn Member Posts: 18

Thank you ladies, it's just so wonderful how you share.

Off for my Nuelasta shot in a bit!

• elimar

seacretgarden, welcome to this group of age appropriate sisters.  My Dx and treatment began while I was peri-menopausal, so it's hard to tell what is doing what sometimes.  The heavy bleeding is probably normal if you have not had a period in some months.  It's "built up" more than normal, so the uterus has more to shed.  It may be more clotty looking too.  However, if it is heavy for longer than five days, and doesn't seem to be letting up, you might want to let your GYN doc know.  If you get another in a month, I think it will be more normal.

kay1963,  The close monitoring sounds like a sensible game plan.

3jaysmom, You're welcome.  Anytime. 

• Ceeztheday

Thanks for the well wishes. Feeling better today. Seems like a 48 hour thing. So, back to work. Merry Christmas ladies!

• I'm glad you're feeling better Ceeztheday!!
  • WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Kay, hope the treatment went OK. 

Cym....wow, your port was in an entire year! I know you must be SO relieved to get that out. 

Barbe, glad you liked the thyroid surgeon.

Hope everyone has an UNEVENTFUL holiday!