Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    glad everyone came back in safe and sound.. been "off" for days, and had PAGES to catch up!!!Eli: i loved that linky... too cool!!!.......3jays
  • WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Ladies, jump into my pocket today. My first chemo is in 3 hours! I'm scared and nervous, but know all of you will be thinking of me, and that's a huge help.

• Jumping in  your pocket WaveWhisperer and saying a prayer for you...
  • Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

the first one is the worst wave whisperer because you don't know what to expect.  jumping in your pocket.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hanging with you Wave............oops!  just tripped getting in the pocket, didn't mean to head butt your hip!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Wave jumping in the pockets for ya.  I know the first chemo I did I was so freaked out.  The treatment itself wasnt bad.  Do you have a port.  I did and it made things so much easier.  They even did my blood draws from it and it was super easy.  Dont be afraid of calling the telenurse if you need more meds for the nausea. I laid there and suffered for needless hours because of my stubborness.  When I did the 4 AC treatments I ending up having to take 4 different ones, but they did the trick. Plus the Onc put me on a pill schedule and that really helped better then taking them as the bottle said.  When I moved on to the Taxol it was much easier on me and I was able to take it down to just the one.  Good Luck and I hope it goes well for you!

Dang Eli after that MP this weekend my bad girl ways kinda came out, lol.  I got into an old school frame of mind so I went music surfing.  Oh man some of those tunes brought back some memories.  Lets just say some of them I really didnt want to remember, lol!  Lets just say Im glad I glad some I dont.  I know music surfing real bad girl huh?  But these days thats as bad as I get, lol!  Other then the tattoos.  In the works for another one.  It was inspired by JO.   

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Glad to hear the good news for Jo, Kay and Ceeztheday!

Wave - I'll be in your pocket with the rest of your supporters! Hoping all goes well for you.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Wave---jumping in right now!! My first chemo is kind of a blur. The first one is always longer than the rest. I brought all sorts of things to keep me busy but I ended up just yakking the whole time. That is when I wasn't sleeping from the Benadryl. Slept on the way home and pretty much the whole day.hope yours is as memorable!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

WaveWhisperer- Hope I'm not too late for the PP. If so, I'll ride in your pocket on your way home. Hugs.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Glad to hear the good reports from the doctor visits.  kay, they don't seem too worried about what is going on with your heart, so have a worry-free holiday yourself.  It will be great if you can stay on the Herceptin, but don't let any symptoms go unreported.  In other words, monitor yourself real well until they check you again.

Wave, Good Luck today!

• elimar

I think I posted this last year, but many new ladies might like this too.  I made a snowflake...

MAKE-A-FLAKE  

You can too!   If you make a pretty one, post it.  It might be the only snow I see this Christmas.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

The snowflake site is fun, thanks for sharing!

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Ladies, thanks for the company. My pockets were warm and full. My first treatment went so much better than I had feared. As with so much of what we go through, the anxiety and worry was worse than the real thing. I'm having IV's each time, since I'm doing only 4 treatments. That IV hurts, but I've had plenty of them and know what to expect. My pre-meds included Zofran and Ativan, so I was so mellow during the infusions that I napped a bit and never got around to all my electronic companions--iPod,IPad, Kindle and MacBook. I went in and 8 and was home by 12:30, a bit woozy and walking like a drunk, but Hubby got me into bed and I slept for 4 hours. I'm up now and really good -- no nausea, no pain. I know some of those nasty SE may sneak up on me on successive days, but I'm very thankful that DAY#1 is over. ONLy 3 to go!!!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Yay Wave!!!   Give yourself a pat on the back for a successful day.  Glad you slept when you got home but be prepared to sleep a lot more.  You are a quarter done!!!!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

WaveWhisper - Glad to hear day one was such a success.  I did not have chemo so I have no idea what you are having to go through but can give you lots of hugs.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Congrats Wave.  Im glad it well for you.  I remember all the goodies I brought along cause I thought I could get some projects done.  Well lets just say they are still needing done.  I slept through most of it and the car ride home to.  Slept for a few after that.  Then I got worried I wasnt gonna be able to sleep that night but I did!

I remember how much smells affected me.  They would make my tummy go topsy turvy.  I spent most of the time in the grocery store with my hand over my nose and mouth so I would loose my lunch.

• Kay_G

Congrats wave! Hope the SE's stay away for you.

Eli, thanks for the link for the snow fakes, I am going to take a look at that tomorrow. And thanks for the worry free holiday wishes, that is what I am planning, but I will definitely not be hiding anything, no worries there.

Have a nice evening everyone.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Congratulations Wave! Onward and upward!

• I'm so glad that your first day went better than you expected WaveWhisperer!!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Ok Ladies, Can I really not wear any make up or my contacts during my wire insertion and lumpectomy? That seems just cruel to me. I have to hang around for hours in public looking like I just got out of bed? It's getting closer to Thursday and I'm getting a little anxious.Can you tell?

Nancy

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

You shouldn't wear your contacts during the procedures, but during the waiting time in between you can put them in. 

• Nobody told me not to wear any makeup, so I probably did have mascara on that morning. During the wait time, I was in a private room with my husband and daughter so not many people saw me.

• Kay_G

The standard sheet I was given for my mastectomy and reconstruction no makeup or nail polish. I didn't understand the need for it. I thought if it was really necessary, they would have told me, not just included it on a standard sheet. I wore a little lipstick and eye liner (would have done a little mascara too, but I had no eyelashes from chemo) and polished my toe nails. It made me feel better. I can see the reason for not having contacts in. Good luck Nancy, hope all goes well on Thursday. Will be in your pocket, making sure the docs treat you right.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Wave - so glad that your first chemo went well for you. Hope that the remaining treatments are as good for you.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

I feel so much better. Private room, please! But I will have mascara, tinted moisturizer and (sigh) glasses in place. Those instructions were on a standard sheet that the hospital gave me rather than the cancer center. Thanks for the PP.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

macatacmv good luck.  Now that you mention it my hospital did not tell me any of those things but I did not wear any makeup anyway and I was in a private room as well.

Wavewhiper so glad your first chemo went better than expected

• elimar

Happy Hannukah!

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

There is a reason for no nail polish - the can tell by your nail beds how well you're oxygenating (my pulmonologist always looks at my nail beds). If you're wearing polish they can't see your nail beds (unless it's clear). It's a backup to the machines the anesthesiologist uses.

• noodle6
    noodle6 Member Posts: 32

AGGGGHHH I am going nuts doing this nothing thing. My butt is getting sore from too much sitting & my mind is bored from walking around doing nothing. I am usually a very physical person, hauling wood for the fire, tossing hay for the mules... I have one drain left that will hopefully (crossing fingers) come out tonight. It too is driving me nuts.

Reesie, good point about the nail beds.

Wave, I'm so glad things went well!

So far I haven't missed a PP, so keep wearing shirts with BIG pockets ladies!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I had to take off hand nail polish once. Their remover was the BEST I've ever used!!!

I met the surgeon today who is going to take out the rest of my thryoid with the tumour on it. I LOVED him!!! He even had my DH touch the nodule to feel where it is and whjy it's affecting my breathing. I will be in the hospital for 2-4 days so it won't be until the new year as he is off for a couple of weeks. I'll get a call. He is going to check my para-thyroid glands while he's in there as well. I am SO relieved that we got on!!!!!