Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246

my favourite book is by delia smith,she's great at explaining things and has wonderful  recipes 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Had a wonderful suprise visit today.  DH aunt came to town to visit.  She is 81 years old and has had stage IV BC for 4 years.  She is so spunky that it inspires me.  She gets her chemo and keeps on going.  She laughs and says the old stuff ate her WB cells and now the new stuff is eating her RBC so she got a blood transfusion but sruggs and says what are you going to do and just laughs.  She has always had a very infections laugh.  Her husband died right before she was diag.  She would never admit it but I think she knew she had a lump and ignored it because her job was to take care of uncle john and that is what she did and would not change a thing.  They loved each other dearly.  She was laughing today and talking about her MX, she only had the rt one done at first and said she wished she had done both as it came back in the other breast.  But she said I was 77 and no one was going to see my boobs so I did not do reconstruction.  She said now if uncle john had been alive I would have had them reconstructed cause he was a boob man. 

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Sherry, your Aunt sounds like my 98 yr old aunt - I can picture her saying the same things!!

My cookbook is The New McCalls Cookbook, copyright 1973 (first copyright 1963). I panicked at first - it's a hardbound and the outside spine came off long ago so the title wasn't there, and apparently at some point it had a paper jacket, but that's long gone and no printing on front cover! But the title was on the 2nd page :)

• Sherryc

woohoo called the local church and they still sell my cookbook.  They said it has always been such a hit over the years they just continue to reprint them and sell them ($12).  This one should last me until I'm 75

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Sherry your aunt does have spunk thats for sure!  I hope your feeling better as well!

My cookbook from my mom is a Good Housekeeping and my grannies is just a cookbook that the pages were blank for her to write in.  I love that book.  She also stuck clippings in of recipes from various places.  I never have used my grannies cookbook, one day I will.  The cover on my moms is held together by black tape but has come apart at the spine.  Oh the yummy things that have come from that book!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

i think mine was the Betty Crocker cookbook, it got lost 3 moves ago.. now, we don't cook, we "warm" its from the Isabella school of cooking...

thanks, elimar, i actually srill like the shirt, and it WAS exciting to havejay #2 Jared, for xmas, he was in the "broward hilton" last yr,, this yr, a 1/2 way house, and doing good!!!

3jays

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

My go-to cookbook (well, my DH's really) is a red and white one. Soft cover, not that pinky/red one from the 60's....darned if I can remember the name, but also darned that I'm not going to get off my duff and go look!! It's the kind of cookbook that if we're watching a cooking show on TV and see something new, we can look it up and it'll be there!!!

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

Sherry - What spunk your aunt has - she is definitely an inspiration to all of us.

• Paula66

Today is the day that I am most thankful for this year.  I have made it 1 year cancer free!  I want to thank you gals for being there with me and for me.  I was scared outa my mind but knowing that there where all of you out there that I could look to that got me thru it, plus tons and tons of prayers! It made this so much easier to get thru!  This past year has been a living nightmare that all I wanted to do was wake up from it and it would be gone, but it wasnt.  Thanks to you all for helping get me thru it!!!!!!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Paula66 - congratulations on your first yr cancer free! May there be many many many more to come.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Congrats Paula! 

I am still waiting for path results. 

I have an 97 year old aunt that is still going strong. She just went to FL. for Christmas to be with her family, but most of the time she lives by herself. She has just decided to stop driving. My father just passed in March at 93 years old. So there is a longevity gene in my family besides the BC one.

I received my mother's cookbook after she passed 3 years ago. It is the Joy of Cooking published in 1946. I have a newer Joy of Cooking but this one has her notes and clippings in it. Plus some of our holiday tradition recipes. I didn't do the cooking this year, but we  had a great dinner anyway. Maybe some new traditions were created. I have to admit that I have gotten some Rachael Ray cookbooks and enjoy them very much, the time saving quality, plus the ease of preperation helps me get dinner on the table sooner rather than later after coming upstairs after work. 

I had an appt. with Health Care Access woman yesterday to make sure my insurance is going to continue on smoothly. My yearly re-evaluation came up and I didn't want to make any mistakes and have a lapse at this point in time. 

Just thought I would post since I have been lurking again.  

• jo1955

Paula66 - Congrats on your one year cancerversary.  You've come a long way baby!!!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Congrats Paula66, hope you do something to celebrate today!

macatacmv, glad you posted!  I watch Rachel Ray once in a while and she does seem to have pretty quick and easy, yet tastey recipes.  Maybe I get one of her cook books.  The barefoot contessa recipes are similar in that respect.

• Sherryc

Woohoo Paula!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• barbe1958

EXCELLENT news Paula!! The first year truly IS the worst...just like marriage! hheheheheh

Mac, are you REALLY a cobbler??

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Congrats, Paula!  Happy dance tattoo...

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Barbe,  What makes you think mac is fruit-filled baked dessert?  Wink

• barbe1958

When she said she "went upstairs from work" I thought "AHA!!" here is a woman who works from home. Maybe I can do what she does!! So I clicked on her name which took me to her home page and there it was, "cobbler". I don't think I can do that....sigh.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Paula - may you have many more years cancer free... Congrats on having the worst behind you.....

• Yay Paula!! May you have many more years free from cancer....

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

Hooray Paula!

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

Paula, hooray!!!!!!

• madpeacock
    madpeacock Member Posts: 216

Thanks for the pocket party everyone!! Sorry you all had to wait so long - over an hour parked in the waiting room, then called for bloodwork, then back to the waiting room. Did I hear snoring in there? When they finally called me - MO called me herself and not a nurse - my leg had gone completely to sleep. So I'm limping into the exam room and fussing about my leg being asleep. MO says, "Oh! Tamoxifen will do that to you!" I said, "So does sitting in the waiting room for over an hour. " She changed the subject quickly. Heh.

Nothing new, I think. They were so backed up that I didn't get my bloodwork results, but I am having a bone density tomorrow, and then don't see her again until April.  Next mammo is in Feb, so I think I have a reprieve from doctors for a while - yay!

Paula - happy dance for your one-year anniversary!! 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121

Sherry, ladies like your aunt are inspiring for sure.

6 month mammo and ultrasound today was all clear.  I was so worried--had felt some changes in my "good" breast tissue.  Dr. said it was due to weight loss.  Whew.  Time to indulge in that "occasional" drink!

• jo1955

SAB - Congrats on the good news.  Have a great New Years celebration.

• Ceeztheday
    Ceeztheday Member Posts: 246

SAB- Hooray!!!!

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Paula, congrats on one year. YAY!! Doing the happy dance!!!!!!

• Paula66

Thank You everyone!  It feels so good to say that outloud and mean it!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

Hooray for SAB!

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    I love this thread about our mothers' cookbooks! Elimar, my mom used the same one -- the American Woman's CookBook, published in 1939, the year she and my dad married. I've taken a photo of it, but aren't sure how to attach it.