Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Last time I had a nurse be so understanding and do it right the first time I sent a positive comment card back.  I hope she got some sort of recognition for it.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Meece, congrats on the first shot!! I always warn them, too, the "duck and roll" my veins do... 

I had to actually let them use my LE arm yesterday to get blood!!! They tried 3 times on my 'good' arm and couldn't get it. As I'll need an IV on Wednesday for my pacemaker insertion, I felt it important to get the quicker need done on my LE side and hope my good side will present a vein by tomorrow for the IV! I told them they had ONE shot on my LE side and she got it!

• barbe1958

Finally figured out the gal on the parasailing thingy is in a wedding dress, right? I thought it was a sheet for a couple of days and it looked like she was escaping a jealous spouse! hehehehehehehe Gee, my mind goes to weird places, eh? But, it's exciting to be in my head.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

By the way, on the subject of IV and blood draws. For my da vinci surgery, they used my ankle and my neck and my ankle for draws. It worked a charm.

• Meece

They sure wanted to use my other side yesterday.  I told them I had made it this far without LE, and I was not going to tempt fate.  She said that the little hot pack I used really helped.

• barbe1958

Why don't they offer those hot packs in the hospital? They have hot blankets....?? If I have trouble tomorrow I'm asking for heat. I already have truncal LE on my left side and I don't want an IV in for 4+ hours on that arm!

• Meece

I learned the trick by a phlebotomist who did have one of those disposable hot packs.  I have asked for one since, and most places don't have them, so I bought my own.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

The hot pack trick worked like a charm, but I give the nurse credit too.  Glad it all went well.  Meece, did you always have to wait for results, or is it because you are seven years out now?  Do they still give you diagnostic mammos or is it back to screenings now?  (I'm going to ask about that one when I go in today.)  Ever since my Dx, I am on the wait right there for same day results program.  It makes for a boring morning, and at this point I probably could wait for a call or letter without too much anxiety, but I'll take a book and try to enjoy it.

Barbe,  You're getting a pacemaker?  That's the first we've heard of it (on this thread anyway.)  Is that a same day surgery now?  Hope it goes smoothly for you.  And, yes, I do believe that is a parasailing bride.  

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Meece so glad they got you on the first stick. 

Barbe a pacemaker? Hope all goes well for you

Eli hope your mammo is all clear

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

BARBE,BARBE,BARBE!!! A pacemaker??? Does it never end for you??  The good news about this is that it should make you feel so much better, maybe even get you some extra energy. My FIL got one last year and it has helped him immensely. Can I send you a sexy doctor to hold your hand during the insertion? I don't want to jeopardize your recovery. . .heheheheh!!

Eli- hope your squishing goes well today and they it is as clear as cloudless day. But while you were gone. .  well... oops. . .

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Barbe I'll be in your pocket tomorrow.  Bringing some lemon cheesecake!  :)

Meece congratulations on a successful IV yesterday.  Great news.

Eli, your mammo will be clear.  Just watch that squashing!

Wishing everyone better health daily.

Hugs to all!

• dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110

Luv the Cheeto lips on that kitty!  Hi Guys - Can I get a pocket party for Thursday?  I'm having my exchange done and am a little nervous about the fact that my PS says I have a 30-40% chance of failure due to having rads on that side, but looking on the bright side, I have a 60-70% chance of success, right?  Cheetos please???

• Sherryc

dechi will be with you and yes you have a higher chance of success. 

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

ai yi yi, so much for so many!  Here's a toast to you all:

Squish, squish

Glub, Glub,

Love & Hugs to ya'll!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    Man it is going to be hot inside all these pockets the next two days.LaughingGood luck ladies.
  • chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Yeah, Meece! So glad your infusion went well....and thanks for the hot pad tip!

These pockets are getting hot with all that's going on!..and messy with the Cheetos too! I'll get some margaritas to cool us off! Hoping for good results for all!

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332
      Did someone say margaritas?
  • chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Oh, thanks, Wanda!!! Yum........that's much better!

• cmbear

Wanda and Jill, you are my new Best Friends! Cheers!'

• KittyGirl2011
    KittyGirl2011 Member Posts: 324

It's soooooooooo hot and those pockets are going to be rather close quarters so I'll bring the mini fan.

Kitty

• elimar

I'm baaack.  I was right on the money with it taking three hours, but I had to spend the last hour kicking some Cheetos-stealing cat butt and then finishing off what was left in the bag myself. (Gack!  Hey cat, I found your missing hairball.)

Well...

Short Story:  I'm good.  My right treatment breast is fine and both breasts remain as densly inscrutable as ever. 

Long Story:  (Go get a snack, I'll wait)  Check in, same ol' same ol', let's fill out three forms to update the files.  One form was asking a about previous Dx & surgeries, dates, outcome.  Duh!  I just wrote "see your own files for this" on it.   I got a tech I never had, so figured I would cut right to the chase.  I told her, "Look, last time I had to get 'extra views' because I had a fold or wrinkle on a a couple, and all I know is all that squishing left me with capillary damage (petechia,) so whatever you do, pose me so I don't have any wrinkles.  I don't want any re-dos this time."  We got all the way to the second one before she said, "Oh I have to re-do that 'cause I missed some tissue [near armpit.]  Grrr.  She said she would come back to that one.  I actually said, "With so many flabby women to image, how often do you end up having to re-do some views?"  "Oh, it happens quite often."  (I kept my cool, but I my brain lava was bubbling dangerously close to the surface.  I was thinking, Does anyone else have a problem with getting the bonus rads when they have to re-do an image; not to mention pass the cost along to your ins.? Way to keep the cost down.  Not!)  Then, still on my treatment side, she said , "Uh-oh, there was a wrinkle in there."  I lost it.  I said, "You aren't going to get your gold star from me today."  Isn't that lame?  I could feel the lameness even as it left my mouth.  But then, I added some drama.  I started backing toward the door (the universal sign for 'patient getting ready to bolt') and told her, "I don't feel like getting any extra views.  I don't want that radiation, and I don't want any more permanent bruise spots.  I said that when I came in.  Now, you have two re-dos?  I don't want them.  I'm serious."  She said she would give what she had to the radiologist and see IF the radiologist needed better views.  I took the guesswork out of the equation right there, "It's not about what she wants.  If I say that's enough, then I'm done."  I didn't say, Deal with it.  I only thought that.  Next, I got some ultrasound on lefty, that was monitoring a tiny, supposed fibroadenama.  It has remained tiny for two years now.  I'm off the hook with that one, they are bored with it and it won't get any more future scrutiny.  It stopped concerning me last year.  The wait to see the radiologist was not too long.  "The time has come," the radiologist said, "to talk of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing-wax and..."  Sorry, I was pretending my radiologist and I were "The Walrus and The Carpenter" (Lewis Carroll.)  What she really said was, nothing worrisome seen in me, "See ya' in a year."

Ridiculous Side Story:  So yesterday, I was at the accupuncturist and he was doing some kind of freaky TCM diagnostic on me, or the Qi (chi) of my spleen or something about my neck, I forget,  and he used the "Chinese Cups" technique.  Five heated glass cups went on my upper back and created a vaccuum, to see what got pulled up to the surface skin.  Nothing too unusual.  However, after I came home, the five pinkish red spots continued to darken and bruise up.  Think hematomas.  Like jelly jar hickeys on my upper back.  (OMG!  When I was 16, why didn't I tell my mom that mark on my neck was where an alternative doc had checked my Qi?  I'm sure the grounding for going alternative would have been shorter than the grounding for coming home late with a hickey!)  Sorry to digress.  Anyway, I am just asking you all to appreciate the sass a person with five bruise-y marks like that on her back has to have to stand there and tell a mammo tech she is worried about a little boob bruising. I'm sure she told the story at lunch break about the moron she had this morning.  However, as dumb as those marks look, they are not a rads damaged breast and they will resolve on their own, no matter how crazy I appeared.  This part of the story really cracks me up still, but maybe you had to be there, or maybe you had to be me.  Ahahahahahahahahaha!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E- she probably was too into her own ineptitude to notice the "bruises" on your back.  But I love the thought of telling your mom that story when you were 16 (you hussy you!) 

• Sherryc

Eli glad everything turned out OK but obviously she was not listening to you to begin with. duh!!! Love the side story

• barbe1958

ALWAYS got "extra views" instead of call backs! Why oh why don't they review last year's film BEFORE they screw up the view for this year??? So I finally said, just take them off!  I don't want my boobs any more!!!!

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Barbe- I am with you. I won't miss the mammograms at all. They used to wait until I got home to tell me they needed to take more views. It was only over an hour away.

El- I am glad everything turned out ok for you.

• cmbear

Not condoning violence, not at all. But Eli, you have my permission to cyber whip that tech with a wet noodle. Good for you for standing up for yourself and good for you having clear scans!! 

• elimar

I'm already over it.  I don't have to go there for another year.  Ya ya ya, and a hoo hoo hoo!

Happy Dance!!!      

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

I so do not miss my itty bitty titties getting squished. I always loved explaining to the guys at work what a mammo was like.  I would say let me put your sack in that vise over there and then let me tighten till they are flat.  Oh but wait we have to go beyond flat. Oh and let me do that from different angles.  needless to say they never asked me what one was like again. I always hated mammos and don't miss them.  I can't complain to much about the chic who does them here.  She is really good and always has the prevous years mammo up.  Heck there were sometimes she would pull several of the old images up. 

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Eli, love your sass AND the dancing elephant.

• Sherryc

I won't miss the mammo's either.  Never liked getting my itty bitty titties squished either, although my tech was very gentle.