Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Do we have any PP's today or even this week? I need to go shopping!! Meanwhile, gotta start the week right. The cantelope in front of me is crying for company!

Barbe--wish I had a magic wand to take the pain away. . .  

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

barbe - hope that today brings some relief for you.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Do you notice a difference yet, Barbe?

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I am feeling somewhat better, but still get a 'tug' as I stand up and gravity takes over. Still a lot of pain meds, but it's do-able. At least I don't feel my back pain!!! I should have Googled "pacemake scar" before I did this. I would have been better prepared! I thought in this day of tiny cells phones that it would be a wee thing with a stitch or two. It's a double-chambered one so is the bigger model and about the size of the bottom of a drinks glass (and the same thickness).

I'm ready for someone else's pocket party this week to get my mind off me!! 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Barbe ((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Barbe hugs for you girl!!  You've gots guts to do that awake.  I don't think I could.  I'm a big bay when it comes to pain.  I can do tattoos, but thats as close as I like to get to pain. 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Oh!  I thought I posted something earlier today, but I must not have hit save...and then went on to put up that tumblin' tumbleweed pic.

I wrote something like:  Barbe, I've never ask anyone with a pacemaker how it actually felt, and they never happened to mention; so all I can think is that after a while you might not notice it at all (unless you are focusing on it.)  Another "new normal" to get used to.   Glad to hear you are coming around a bit.

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

I remember when my FIL got his - it definitely bothered him for a little bit but then he said he really did forget about it. He lived to be 93 - long enough afterward to have the batteries replaced TWICE!!!  Healing hugs Barbe ...

• barbe1958

I AM feeling better guys and even had a shower finally today (as per hospital) and got out for a short walk. I'm going to put make-up on tomorrow (haven't for weeks (months?) just to get back to me, but in colour. I'm sure like everything else, I'll get used to it, but it is big enough to feel when I move a certain way and is certainly visible under the skin. It sits right at my clavicle. I thought it would be lower....

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Glad your feeling better, Barbe! Hugs!

• Meece

So, Barbe, are you saying it will be noticeable when you wear your gold lamé "tube top"?

• barbe1958

Meece it is visible when I wear my summer tops!!! That's kind of why I'm freaking out!! Right now the Frankenstien stitches are what shows most, but the bulge will be quite obvious once the stitches settle down.

• Meece

You would think there would be a better way.  I so understand how you feel when you aren't happy with what you see in the mirror when you put on certain clothing.

• barbe1958

I wore a t-shirt the other day and when it shifted you could see the stiches! I don't think you'd notice the bulge in a quick shift of fabric once the stitches are gone. So t's might still be okay, but I don't wear "t-shirts" too often. I prefer pretty summery tops.

• elimar

As much as I like turtlenecks and Nehru jackets, that's a bummer that the pacemaker will be difficult to "hide" in the summer.  Where's the nanotechnology?

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

Barbe-- is the area around the pacemaker still swollen?  It probably is and will look a bit less noticable when the swelling goes down. I'm sorry you weren't fully informed about where it would be, or consulted about where you wanted it to be.  

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Barbe I am so sorry you had to go through this.  I am sending you lots of warm and fuzzy healing hugs!

cmbear...I have to go see my PCP Friday morning.  I have a skin thing that needs checking.  Mole?  Anyway nothing serious, but hell, we can still have a party over it.  My neck surgery is Aug. 29th.  I am already having mini panic attacks.  Will need tons of support as time gets closer.  I hate waiting this long.

Love and hugs to everyone!

• barbe1958

At least I got them to put the device on my NON-LE side. That was forward-thinking on my part to mention it!!! Maybe still swollen....

Janis, be excited/scared. This is a good thing! How do you know when to get a skin "thing" checked? I look on all the sites and my Dh's back looks like he has all the bad ones, but he finally got checked out this year and they are all FINE!!! I'll be in your pocket, but will you have a pocket on if you're going to be nekkid?? My doc told me there are huge waiting lists for people to get checked. Funny how my 29 year old, blue eyed, blond daughter gets checked when her DH gets done (high risk for him). ehehehheehehehe That's one smart doctor!!

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413

Hi everyone. I just wanted to stop in and let you know I've been reading but have been just too tired to post. Barbe, hope everything gets better quickly.

So I'm all in for the pocket parties :)

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Hey ladies! 

Barbe - Hope once the swelling goes down, you can be more comfortable with the pacemaker. Hang in there, ((hugs)))

Janis - Day by day and trust we will be there with you during your surgery... Heartfelt hugs & prayers coming your way too!

Reesie - Welcome back/posting. Hope you get some rest & feel better but we understand... You are in our thoughts & prayers whether posting or not. 

I haven't posted in over a week as we just took a well needed vacation but had to comment on the mole thing. My DH had one on his temple last year that I was certain was cancer but thank goodness, not... Better to check regularly anyway... 

• elimar

reesie,  I had been wondering how you were doing?  I know your energy is at a premium right now, but I am glad you used a bit of it to check in with us today.  Isn't that selfish of me?  Well, if only we could do an energy transference, we'd all charge up and send a blast your way.   I hope you are not wasting any energy on housework, 'cause you know you need a MAN'S HELP with that.  How 'bout one that cooks?

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Since Reesie & I have back to back birthdays, I think we should have back-to-back cooks.  Send him over when you are done Reesie!

• cmbear

Marie--nice of Eli to supply the cook, heavy sigh. Can't have you worried about that house work either. Maybe Jeeves here can help you out.

make sure you white glove the furniture when he's done! 

• mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    i guess i'm doing better than i thought - i didn't even think about cooking or cleaning....   Tongue out
  • barbe1958

Good for you mostlymom!!! And Reesie..so good to hear from you!!!

I don't really want a strange guy in my house right now. I'd have to put on more than just my nightie or he might want to jump me....oh wait...is there time to rephrase all that??? 

• cmbear

Barbe--I know what you meant! uh-huh. I by the way, I can vouch that these two men ARE NOT STRANGE!!

• elimar
    Barbe, At some point you will, however, have to put your pacemaker thru' the "strange man" test.  Not right now.  That pacemaker is like a new car.  You have the break in period first. 
  • walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Barb Hugs to you for what you have been going through.

MO wants an CT scan, have scheduled for the 30th.  It was going to be tomorrow, but rescheduled because we just got back from vacation.

My energy level is building back.  Joining the Y through the Livestrong program they are running for cancer survivors.  It is a twelve week program free for survivor and family members.  Found out through a fellow survivor from my cancer care group.  I started Monday working with a trainer which will be twice weekly on Monday and Wednesday.  Today we are adding weights.  Went yesterday and got a great cardio workout with an elliptical bike, never has seen one before and doesn't put a lot of pressure on my bad knees.  Just have to remember to bring my LE sleeve today.

Praying for you all daily.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

hahahahaha-you all crack me up!  Lord knows I need smiles!  thanks.

• barbe1958

My pacemaker WILL be getting the strange man test today as I have to go back and let them do all their checking to see if it's drumming the way they set it (different drummer, remember). Was warned it would be a long appointment...sigh. In the hospital they just lay a device on my shoulder and they got all the readings from the pacemaker. Fascinating!!! I'd love to be able to go over the reports and what they tell. I had an "event" the other night and wonder if it was enough to show up on any report.

Joni, I think it's your turn to tell. What's happening sweetie? Still aching for your Mom, I bet, but is there something else hurting you?