Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Having seen an elephant up close & personal recently, I have to laugh at the thought of Valerie, the Aftrician elephant @ 6 Flags Vallejo dolled up in a thong & rolled jeans-she would have been adorable! 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    Note on the squishing...I never minded the pressure before my Dx, and I never had bruising from it.  However, rads broke down that one side and the mammo techs surely should be used to that seeing as how most lumpectomy women have a side like that, and used to women saying, "Hey, I bruise more easily on the one side now so take it easy."  As of today, I don't see any more petechia so my tech was not really applying too much pressure.  However, if she had to do two more views (because of the improper posing) who knows how I would have held up.  I can't take the repeated pressure like I used to.
  • nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903

elimar--good for you for standing up for yourself.  We need to start a movement regarding mammo re-dos.  The first time is a freeby.  The second time has to be explained, IN DETAIL, before they are done.  The third time is an automatic "This center is not competent" rating.  Good grief! 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Barbe, this is a test. Repeat this is a test. . . . 

Just want to make sure your procedure today works. 

• cmbear

Dechi--may you breeze thru your exchange tomorrow!! You asked for Cheetos. . . 

Now why are my cheetos larger than my hot sexy men ? Good question.Hmmm. priorities, I guess. 

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332

Those cheetos look good!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I like to invite males who are curious about a mammo to put their waffle iron in the freezer.  Put the irons on the flat side up and place their parts in it and then shut it completely.  Before they open it, they must stay extremely still and not breathe until a woman protected by a partition wall says they can.

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Ooooh, Meece!,,,that's COLD! ....and meanly accurate too! LOL

• lostinmo
    lostinmo Member Posts: 332

The scary part is..I can picture this in my head. Them in their gowns lined up waiting their turn.

• Meece

They want us to believe they are behind that partition to protect them from radiation, but actually it's to protect them from objects which may be hurled at them between "views".

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007

LOL so funny but true.

• elimar

cmb, I'm so middle-aged, I just want to get some grease-fighting, stain-fighting laundry product and oxy-clean those guys' shirts.

dechi, Hope the exchange is underway and all goes well.  The surgeries where they are constructing you are more exciting than when they are deconstructing you.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

cmb, do I get them ALL??!! At ONCE??!!

As for mammos, they burst a cyst in my right breast years ago so I was able to just get ultrasound(ed?) for a while which was dumb, because one year I said I hurt right here, and pointed. The tech said they don't ultrasound pain. Too bad, that's where my cancer was!! They'd been following some calcium building up and architectural changes in my right breast and missed the cancer in my left...sigh. 

• cmbear

Eli-I didn't notice, were they DIRTY??? C'mon, you're middle aged, aren't we suppose to be at the peak of something,. . .I forgot what it is, but I remember hearing something about us peaking at this time!

AND YES BARBE, you get them all!! You've earned them!  We'll take your sloppy seconds!! 

• mumito

Eli I cant believe you noticed the dirt on their shirts.Thats not what I was looking at.

• dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110

Hi Everyone,

My exchange went great.  The girls are looking good!!  Thanks for the pocket party and the cheetos!!! Smile

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

dechi woohoo glad the girls are looking good.  I have my exchange scheduled for Aug 21st.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Congrats on the new foobies, dechi!!  So much better then the rock hard TE for sure.  In about a week you'll find sleep so much better! 

• elimar

Dechi, way to go!  If they look good now, they should look great once all healed and "settled in."

Now where is Barbe and her pacemaker?   Is there a lot of recovery after that surgery?   I kind of think of it like a port placement, but deeper.

Rest, relax, and heal up, gals!

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Behind again, and posting as I read.

Meece, so glad the hot packs worked. Barbe, glad you got hte "one shot" wonder on your LE side ... I don't think I'd ever let anyone even try that side. After going every single day for weeks and being wrapped like a mummy, I never ever want to go through that again! I'll wear my sleeve every day, I can deal with that, but they'll have to explore every other vein before I'd give up my right arm! And yes, why don't they offer hot packs in places where they know people might have trouble? I'm going to bring that up at my hospital next time I go for a draw or dye inject. I knew about the hydrating but never heard about warmth. So easy, ya know?

Okay...back to read more, and probably post more!

• marlegal

Eli, I've loved you for years because you and I are so much alike...but never more than today. I just read your post about the  mammo, and about standing firm on the "no more views". I always have to have more views, and while I have an incredibly high pain threshhold (two kids no drugs at all), I almost pass out when they do their "second pass" squish. As ballsy as I am, I never thought of saying "NO"  Thank you soooo much for reminding me that at the end of the day, the power is in our hands, always. I had to have an ultrasound the last two times anyway because they still weren't sure, so wtf, next time, I will be the one saying "NO, you only get one shot!!"

• marlegal

Barbe and pacemaker...I saw her on FB and she's ok. Maybe just taking a brief pause from the Boards, but she said she asked for one that worked to the beat of a different drummer and it's doing its thing :)

I had to read hub the part about the waffle maker in the freezer, 'cause I was laughing out loud and he wondered why!!!

Love and hugs kids.

• barbe1958

I'm here. T'was a LOT more painful than I expected!! Took off the adhesive yesterday as requested and it feels so much better, but is such an angry looking scar!! 

• Meece

(((Barbe)))

• mumito
    I would not have had the courage to go through that procedure without being put under.Yell
  • Meece

When they "worked on" my heart I was awake, but not fully.  I had hoped to be awake enough to watch in the monitor.  You wouldn't think it, but you can feel what is going on. I can only imagine what you went through, barbe.  You are a trouper!

• barbe1958

I felt the heat from the cauterization as it spread to parts of me that weren't frozen. I heard horrid grinding sounds and have NO idea what that was! Like when you get a tooth pulled and can feel it come out. I felt the pressure of him pushing in the device and when I said I was in pain, he said "do you feel pressure or pain" and at that point it was pain. I think he was pushing too hard on my clavicle, it's REALLY sore. I will NOT do that again without pain meds!!! I'm already dreading getting the battery changed in 7-10 years!!! It was quite traumatic really...

• Meece

{{{{{Barbe}}}}}  I pray that you will feel better soon.

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Hugs, Barbe!

• cmbear

Barbe, I've said this before, but you amaze me at how strong you are and how you have dealt with all your health issues. I am so sorry that the procedure was so painful. Let's just hope that it helps you feel better so you have one less thing on your plate to worry about. (((((gentle hugs)))))

Stanzie---Be strong!! My ex- had an addictive personality. And I kept going back to him over and over and over. Fortunately, I found my a guy who didn't let me think I needed that kind of abuse. I wish I could say I did it own my own, but now I look back on that time and realize how wrong he was and weak I was. Hooray for you to realize your strength!! You don't need his destructive aura around you. And like the other gals, said, we will hold you tight, lift you up, or just lock the damn door if you even think you need to see him!!! Thats what friends are for!! (Is Dionne nearby, I think I hear a song!)

My DH went back to Huntsville,AL this morning after his 2 day vacation at home. Back to the quiet house and the lonely bed. . .