Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dakota212
    Dakota212 Member Posts: 104

Just a question for the general population.... Is the oncotype routinely done ow or Toni have to request it... Trying to cover all bases.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

If you have negative nodes I think oncotype is done more often than not now. But as in all things, "Don't quote me on that!"

• Dakota212

Eph3-12

Thanks. I did call and leave a message with the bs. I didn't know who to call. Also any thoughts on pet scans ?

• Dakota212

Just got off the phone with the bs nurse who said the oncotype was not routinely done ... Ok so I said who orders it I want to make sure it's done. ... She said oh ok I will ask the bs to do it. Really, have to be ur own advocate.....

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Dakota my BS did not order mine either.  I did not even know what it was but there was something in my pathology that made my RO order it.  He wanted to make sure about the chemo issue before we proceeded.

• Dakota212

Sherryc

My mo mentioned it the first and only time I met him as of yet... As I said I just want all based covered no returns cause it was forgotten. I love these boards and he info do we can be out own advocates !!!

The Ki67 is a new one also. My bs showed me that one on my biopsy report. Thanks for the input. .

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498

Yeah it's more often the RO and/or the MO who order it...

• eph3_12

My MO & BS co-jointly requested my onco test.  I knew nothing about it.  I hadn't found these boards yet back in those early days.  BOTH of them were certain that chemo wasn't going to be required; I was already thinking I'd do it anyway, just to be pro-active & then my %ages blew them away, so chemo I had!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Sherry, your oncotype is one of the highest I've seen here and yet you didn't get chemo. How'd you dodge that bullet?? Also, the oncotype scoring is dependant on you taking Tamoxifen for the full 5 years. No point doing the test if you're not going to take Tamox. (not saying that you aren't taking it, just putting it out there for those who lurk and read, but don't post!)

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Welcome, Dakota212!  ANY of the docs on your "team" can order the OncotypeDx test.  I asked my BS to order mine.  

re: Oncotype scoring is dependant on you taking Tamoxifen for the full 5 years.  

Clarifying to include the other hormonals, like Arimidex, which have similar outcomes.  The Onco test does presume you will be taking something for the 5 years.

Sherryc,  After a week like that, you probably needed more than Calgon to take you away.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

Welcome Dakota212 the gals around here are a great bunch.  They are very helpful and have tons of knowledge.  Post away on anything that you like.  Someone here will be able to help.  Thats the main reason why I love this place.  I know the things that I go thru, someone here has to. 

Its going to be a fantastic weekend here.  Have a good one all!  Sherry I hope you were able to destress with your movie and wine.

• Katharine2411
    Katharine2411 Member Posts: 25

Didn't think the first hair to fall out would be my eyelashes. They're really thin now. Didn't think it would bother me this much

• Cindyl

Cancer is really just amazing in its ability to chip away at the things (both small and large) that make you feel like you... our bodies, our hair (even without chemo, my hair is dry and brittle and my nails have never looked worse... I know I shouldn't complain, at least I still have most of my hair, even if it looks like heck) our sense of immunity from harm.  Most of the time I'm sure I'm going to beat this, but I really have to wonder who I'll be on the other side of this.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Katharine

Sending heartfelt hugs.... As Cindy said, it is so unfair all the little things cancer takes from us.

I do think we come out on the other side changed but I am starting to think we come out stronger and better than ever before. 

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

Cindyl, my hair is in terrible shape too.  I did not have chemo.  I do take Anastrazole and wonder if that is contributing?  It is also falling out terribly, and breaking easily.  I have had my thyroid checked and it is normal. I wish I knew how I could help my poor hair! 

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

FWIW, Tamoxifen is really hard on the hair and nails I shed more than a cat! If not for the Biotin these smart ladies recommended, I swear I would be bald....lol

• Katharine2411
    Katharine2411 Member Posts: 25

Thanks Odie! I am trying to be positive and strong to everyone around me, but sometimes I need to vent to women who "get it" Thanks!

• Cindyl

I'm convinced that rads started the number on my hair.  It's long and it never dawned on me I should put it up before treatment until I was about half way through, so it got 15 or so zaps before the ends started breaking, then of course your body has to work so hard to repair the damage that rads does it doesn't have anything left for your hair and nails...

Add in the tamoxifen, and yeecch.  I've been taking the biotin and I think the new growth is healthier, so maybe in a few months I'll get the damaged stuff cut off...

• elimar

"I complain; therefore, I am."   (Descartes' first draft, considered too whiny.)

B/C and it's treatment would annoy anyone.  It continues to annoy me even now.   But the next time one of the many grievances pops up, don't forget to simultaneously Thank Your Lucky Charms** that you are STILL HERE.  I know I do.  Not everyone gets that same deal, unfortunately.

(**That's like thanking your lucky stars, only more magically delicious.)

• Cindyl

This is true... still here is good.  I watched my 39 year old aunt die of cancer back in the 70s and my bestie lost her sister just a few years ago.  I can handle the treatment, it's not fun, but nothing I've been through has been unbearable. It's the uncertainty that will drive me nuts.  I never worried about my health before cancer.  I went in for the usual routine stuff, but it never occurred to me that the results could be bad, like seriously bad.  Sure a test might show and infection, but take a few pills and you'll be all better.  My gall bladder went bad... had surgery and was better in a few weeks.

But with cancer?  6 months of treatment later and I'm feeling pretty good. But let a bump and rash show up? And I'm scared to death.  Sure that it's starting all over again.  I've never been a coward, but I'm definitely feeling like one now.  Then when people say how brave I am?  I just have to laugh... they can't see the yellow streak down my back.

• chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410

Popping in to catch up....I've had no internet connection for four days and A LOT happens on these boards in that amount of time!!!!  LOL

Re: the Tamoxifen causing hair loss and nail problems....so TRUE!  I didn't have either chemo or rads....just the Tamoxifen so I can testify that it causes extreme hair shedding (and a lack of texture) and nail shredding.  I have found the Biotin helped after about a month....but my hair was still horrible.  Started taking BioSil about 6 weeks ago and I see an improvement....still shedding, but not nearly as much and the texture has improved!  YEAH!

Welcome to all the newbies!  This is a great place to vent, be encouraged, get good information, etc. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  God bless!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

I left his thread for awhile after being scolded for having the nerve to talk about the weather.  Hmmm...then this not so subtle comment about complaining about treatment?  I thought that was what this thread was for?  I am sure (of course) the comment was not directed at me...but timing is sure odd.  I won't be back.  I am not the only one over the months I have noticed.

• mstrouble16
    mstrouble16 Member Posts: 177

Chachamom-try Nixoin shampoo and conditionor it's great! I take tamoxifen (and had chemo) and have been using Nixoin since my hair started growing back. I noticed at first after the chemo my hair everywhere was growing very quickly then I started the tamoxifen and my hair kinda went to growing at a snails pace but this stuff has stop me from losing any and it looks full. From what I read about it it was originally made for people who went through chemo, now they have all different versions of it. I get from amazon.

• elimar
    mstrouble16, welcome to this thread and thanks for the shampoo info.  
  • chachamom
    chachamom Member Posts: 410
    oooo!!!! thanks for the tip mstrouble!!!!  I'll order it right away!  Smile
  • eph3_12

Girls, I've received bad news.  This is from Reesie's CarePages:

"Marie asked me to write this update for her when the time came.
    Early this morning Marie was feeling pretty bad and was taken to the hospital again. Her platelets were very low and she was having pain that was believed to be coming from her liver.
    Early this afternoon she had a sudden heart attack and she passed away.
    Marie's biggest fear was "dying by inches" and have a long, slow painful end. While today has been a punch in the gut for all of us, she did not suffer which is very comforting.
    Joe asked me to thank all of you for the support, humor and love you gave to Marie, it meant the world to her and kept her strong." 

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Eph, thank you . I don't have the words in me to express the proper amount of loss. I'm glad she is finally at peace.

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674

Damn I hate this disease.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572

This is so sad to read about Marie.  Prayers going out for her family.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

So very sorry to hear of Marie's passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.