Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited January 2011

I took advantage of the melted snow and ice and walked outside today, in one of the parks with paved paths so I didn't have to slip 'n slide in the mud... I'll always like walking outside better than in, it was great to be out.

Kim, I think I like snowshoeing even better than cross-country skiing, glad you're enjoying your time at Tahoe!  For the Expo :)  I would vote for either one of the last two weekends in June.  My niece graduated a semester early so I don't have that to work around but now some family members are talking about a reunion in early June so I'm trying to keep that open... whatever works for the majority, though!

Happy, merry, everyone!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited January 2011

Hi all, I'd like to join up if I may.  Bundled up and got in my first walk of the new year just now.  Brisk!   Had a goal last year of 500 miles and got close, 490 miles.  My goal this year is 600 miles.  You'll see the numbers in my sig. line but I think I'll need the personal motivation of a daily check-in.  Got just a moment before the football game starts but wanted to say hi.  Some of you I know from other threads but looking forward to getting to know you better.  Happy New Year!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,538
    edited January 2011

Happy Birthday, patoo!!

Thank you for the beautiful card, Cheryl!

Badger, it is extremely great to see you here Smile.

I can do Tahoe any date in June except the time around the second weekend; (since I teach, and it will be summer, it doesn't matter to me when it is during the week). I looked at Expedia when we first mentioned this, and San Jose was quite a bit cheaper than Sacramento or Reno for me to fly into (at that point anyway). Fun!!!

We were snowed in last night but are going over to our friends tonight to celebrate a belated New Years. That turned out OK because DS had invited some of his friends over & 3 kids actually able to make it here, but got snowed in and stayed the night. So it was fun to have kids in the house, make them breakfast, visit etc. In fact, they just left a few minutes ago. I got in some pilates while they were still sleeping & did 30 minutes on the treadmill this afternoon.

Got a card from a friend who last year at this time was doing some nasty BC treatments, she's doing well now and the closing line of her card is good advice for us all. 'ENJOY EVERYTHING!"

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2011

Happy Birthday Patoo  I hope you had a great day

No exercise for me today spent the day looking after my DH who has the flu and cooking for the week.Raining outside.Nice fire going in the family room.Sometimes it is very nice just to stay home and enjoy some peace and quiet. Tomorrow I will go to an exercise class and start the newyear right.Hope all the tarts had a wonderful holiday.Smile

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2011

Welcome Badger and it really does help keep you motivated when you post your exercise. Kim anytime in June is fine for me ohhh I'm getting excited!!! Ruth I'll bet your house was fun with kids, pity you couldn't have had them come over a little early for the snow shoveling partyLaughing. Sorry your DH is under the weather Mum, I'll join you at the gym tomorrow. I brought all of my paperwork over here and I've been organizing everything for taxes, blah blah blah but it is nice to sit quietly and get everything in place and I've had the new Oprah network on the telly and have been thoroughly enjoying all the shows so far.

I've only taken the dogs out once today so I've done a mile but I am getting pleading looks and I should go before the sun goes down and the chill starts. Happy New Year to everyone.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2011

Thanks everybody.  Went into NYC with 2 friends and visited the King Tut exhibition.  Very interesting and some of the artifacts are amazing 3,000 years later!   So lots of standing and walking around for 3 hours.  Me and advil are now best friends but it was a good day.  Have to make it to the gym after church tomorrow to workout in the water because I know I'm going to be hurting.  Also stopped in the city  for an early dinner and did not over-indulge. 

NY is really something - so many people. 

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited January 2011

Had a quiet morning, then went to a friend's place for a new year's meal.  I toted enough salad for a crowd (invited, but no shows), and DH and I ended up having a lovely time with just the hosts.  Fun couple.  I didn't get on the exercise bike today, tho.

We're having more cold, icy weather.  DS got into P'ton ok yesterday.  It's easier to get to P'ton from Newark than Philly using public transport; he had been concerned that things weren't running due to recent storms, but all went well.  I'm glad he is self-reliant, cause I've got too much going on to "helicopter."  

Patoo:  I would have loved to visit the museums in NYC with you.  It is my goal to spend some time at MOMA and the Met.

Best news today: my niece who has lost 2 pregnancies in the past year or so is expecting, and all looks good.  She has a little boy about to turn 3 years old, and they really want a second child.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2011

How many steps are on a mile?  I have not been able to find a definite answer on the internet.  When you track miles, do you use a "step counter"?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 27
    edited January 2011

How do you "bundle up" Badger , without getting to bulky ??

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2011

Happy New Year Everyone!  Happy Birthday Pattoo! 

All of our snow is now GONE!  We have had quite a bit of rain!  Today it has turned colder and we have been having small flurries, but I don't think any of it will really stick. Just took all of our Christmas decorations and lights down outside (still have our 10 foot tree indoors to take down).  Took me 1 1/2 hours to do and did get a bit of a workout doing it too!  Now have to tackle the tree!

Tomorrow, life will go back to normal - kids, DH and I will be going back to work/school schedules .... somehow I am looking forward to it!!  I am planning of starting the New Year off right with daily excercise planned!  You may need to crank up your voices for me! Embarassed 

• badger
    edited January 2011

erica, my base layer is silk, it feels nice and gives warmth without bulk.  Long johns top & bottom, socks & glove liners.  If I were XC skiing, the next layer would be wool but for walking around the neighborhood I don't sweat that much, so go for a wind-blocking layer next.  Pants & lightweight windbreaker.  Then a lands end fleece scarf wrapped around my neck and lower face, a matching hat, warm gloves, and my winter coat. 

Yesterday I walked in my winter boots.  They are Sorels so my feet stayed warm but hoo boy I should get extra points for lugging those puppies around.  Today the athletic club opens at noon and stays open until four so I'll head down and sign up for a year's membership and get a nice warm indoor walk.  :-)

• ruthbru
    edited January 2011

2,000 steps in a mile. Under Armor (that the football players wear) is very lightweight and a good base too for walking outside. I also just finished getting the decorations down and will now do something 'exercisy' in the basement.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited January 2011

Thank you Cheryl for the card you posted. Do you mind if I copy and forward to my friends?? 

Did a bad thing, had left over trail mix, m&ms, peanuts, so I ate half the bag after sleeping till 2.

Did not think about going to gym today b/c it would have been packed. I am making every attempt to get there tomorrow morning.

Happy Birthday Patoo. If anyone ever wants to meet in NYC, I am in. Patoo, the exhibit sounds terrific.

Our snow is gone but I believe we are now expecting rain, feel it in my bones.

If anyone wans to see a good move, saw The King's Speech yesterday at 1:15 and it was packed. Colin Firth deserves an academy award for performance.

Hugs,

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2011

Oh the pain!  Still feeling the aftermath of yesterday's standing and walking around NY museum but did get to the gym after church today and did 45 mins water aerobics.  I don't think it would have gotten to me so badly if I had kept up the exercise Nov/Dec.  Serves me right and hopefully I will learn from the experience.  Not hanging around too long tonight but will check out Under Armor.

Enjoy your evening my Sculpted Sisters.

• badger
    edited January 2011

I should walk during Packer football games more often. Other than the guy practically glued to the TV at the sign-in desk, I was about the only person in the place. Just a few people using the weight room, but I was the only track walker.  7 times around the track in lane 5 is a mile.  I was able to get in three miles... this is going to be a good solution for me.  Have a wonderful evening all and happy birthday Patoo!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2011

Did 15 minutes of toning with Richard Simmons & then tried out a DVD I just bought called 'Cardio Hip Hop'. Since I was too impatient to do the guide to practice the moves; I looked pretty funny (I don't believe anyone was peering in the window watching me though). But it was kind of fun & something different.

I just threw out a plate of devil's food cake (and dumped the kitty litter on top of it to keep myself from digging it out of the garbage). Yes, it will be good for me to get back on a schedule too.

Tonight's 'Extreme Makeover Home Addition' takes place in North Dakota. My niece who goes to college in that town was on the night shift of driving workers back & forth to the work site, so I am interested to watch the show.

New York sounds fantastic too. We will have to do the 'Traveling Tart Tour'!!!

I can here the cheering coming from Wisconsin. Go Packers!

• hbcheryl
    edited January 2011

Went to a packed gym and did Body Step class this morning and also walked two miles with dogs, man oh man a couple of days off and my legs are screaming loudly so I can imagine how you feel Patoo. I'm glad you liked the card Ronni you should go to her website and see all of them she's a fabulous artist, very creative. Wow Badger if I had to bundle up to walk you'd find me by the fire but I guess it's just what you get used toSurprised. Ruth maybe you and I can do a Hip Hop dance routine on the" Travelling Tarts Tour" and what a waste of good cake I could use a slice, these people don't have a cookie, a chocolate or anything sweet in their house - all savory I need to go to the store - I'm having sugar withdrawal!!! It was absolutely spectacular here yesterday but the rain came back today and it's snowing on the northern outskirts of LA brrrrrrr.

• ishobie
    ishobie Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2011

I am walking every day 2.5 miles after work or at least one mile in the morning and one at night with the dog, he loves it and so do I. I tried using my Pilates reformer but with expanders still in my right breast, it felt very very uncomfortable. Slowly getting back in shape, took off 9 lbs of chemo water weight, that made me feel just awful, still have some water retention in my "fake" expander breast Embarassed When my body feels good and the herceptin is over, i will do the reconstruction, till then i will just keep exercising and eating right

isabel

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589
    edited January 2011

Nothing today...spiked a fever last night...hoping it turns out to be nothing....I swear chemo is gonna kill me....lol

• ruthbru
    edited January 2011
    Frown.....get it checked out if you still have it tomorrow.....
  • TonLee
    edited January 2011

I will Ruth...it's so odd, before I started chemo my Onc was always saying how young and strong and fit I am, how I will have no problem with chemo.....pffft.  I wasn't young and strong enough to keep from getting BC.  And the chemo seems like it will hospitalize me every time....grrrrr.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited January 2011

Tonlee hope the fever goes away.

Took the day off also.  As I was reading this thread DH came in wanted to know what i was doing.  Told him about this thread and how we keep each other motivated.  He wants to know if he can join us, haha.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2011

My husband should join a 'post your daily caffeine and junk food' thread. He exercises but is a terrible eater (like I should talk!).

TonLee, are you getting Neulasta shots? And/or could you just finish off the TC and tack the rest of the H on at the end (or whichever combination that would be less hard on you), or once you start do you have to stay with the same protocal no matter what?

• hbcheryl
    edited January 2011

Ruth I would be a regular poster on that thread as well, not so much the junk food but caffeine and sweets......

• TonLee
    edited January 2011

Ruth,

Since we can develop "immunity" to Herceptin, the Onc will keep me on it for 52 weeks....actually since I am HER2+++ the Herceptin is what will stop the cancer in its tracks...the chemo TC is really just in case there is cancer somewhere else (because they're not gonna actually check)....

I'm also ER/PR+ so I have tamoxifen to look forward too....

Oh well.  I'm thankful we have these things now and have at least some hope of living more than a few years.

I would NEVER have believed I would respond so poorly to chemo though....my aunt was on chemo for FIVE years...and she was only hospitalized 3 times ... Of course she didn't have children at home, which I believe makes a big difference.

• ruthbru
    edited January 2011

I don't think age or fitness level has anything at all to how a person responds to chemo (unfortunately); I think it is just plain luck. What the age & fitness level will do is help you bounce back better & faster once you are done.

• TonLee
    edited January 2011

That's good to know!!  lol

I think anyone whose body can't fight off cancer is probably not as "healthy" as they can be....

Have you read about the new cancer test going to trial?  A simple blood test can identify cancer cells in the blood.  This would be awesome for those of us who have Oncs that refuse any type of scans or further "looking" until we're have symptoms.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/01/03/blood-test-able-spot-lurking-cancer-cell/

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited January 2011

Great to see everyone getting motivated again - I need all the inspiration I can get. My post-surgical restrictions are off, so I can start working out again. Laughing  I'm scared of Wednesday's Weigh In - between the limited workouts and holiday yummies, my pants feel TIGHT!!!  Cry  But we did a 2 mile and  3 mile mountain hike this weekend, plus a 2 mile walk in the neighborhood last night.  I did my 30 minutes of Wii this morning and was finally able to do the arm exercises as well - hooray!  And I have my workout bag with me so will hit the elliptical right after work.  Signed up for yoga class which starts the 18th, and my work is starting a lunch time yoga class this month, so I will sign up for that too.  It feels good to be able to move again!!

• TonLee
    edited January 2011

45 minutes on CT, 20 minutes weight training and some ab work.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2011

Did not get out of the house today.Still babying my DH. But i did put all the xmas decorations away.That will have to count as exercise.