Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

It is a nice gym.  Called LA Fitness; pretty inexpensive.  Has a 4 lane pool (they open all lanes for the aquacise class).  All kinds of classes from yoga to spinning/cycling, step, aerobics, kickboxing, abs, weights, all the machines, basketball and racquetball courts.  That all costs me $31./month.  You can also get personal training but it's a little pricey. 

I only use the pool but may, after the "kids" get their bikini bodies back and the place is less crowded, start to use some of the machines but I do have a treadmill at home.

So I managed to do the one-hour aquacise class without getting cramps.  Wanted to continue my own workout after but then the cramps started so came home.  Don't know why the cramps in water.  The classes are fun, not really strenuous and very easy on the joints, but I really think I get a better workout in the water when I do my own routines.  Anyway, at least I got there and did something.

• ggrose
    ggrose Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2010

So much activity going on here -- it's very inspiring!  I've exercised using the Wii before work every day this week -- tomorrow I do my strength training exercises and then I'm off for the weekend.  Keep up the good work everyone!

• patoo
    edited January 2010

You go ggrose!  

I can say that for sure this thread is keeping me at it. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,544
    edited January 2010

Me too. I didn't dare open up the computer until after I exercised. Just for something different I dragged out a really, really old (like they were wearing the little ballet outfits and tights) Jazzerise video. Stay warm and moving!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2010

This thread is really inspiring, I went to the gym and did 45 minutes upper body workout in the weight room then 20 minutes on the treadmill, I ran into my girlfriend and we worked out together so that was fun.  Patoo I used to do aquacise it was the first exercise I truly loved, then the city shut the pool for a year to remodel the place and I haven't been back as I discovered the gym in the year that they closed but I keep looking at the classes but they are soooooo expensive and all my classes are included in my gym membership but we don't have a pool - try eating a banana a half hour before the class that might help with the cramping.

Keep up the good work everyone, you all rock!!!!!

Cheryl

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2010

Patoo, my primary care doc suggested drinking tonic water (for the quinine) to help with leg cramps during the night. And if the tonic water alone doesn't help, add some gin.

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Hey, gin - now that's a motivator! 

Thanks for the 'banana' and 'tonic water' tips.  Had to cut out the Naproxed because of stomach cramps/pain so the hip was really acting up last night, I guess getting back at me for exercising every day.  But, I will emerge victorious!!!! 

• mom_of_2
    mom_of_2 Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2010

Gym closed due to 1/2 inch of snow...welcome to Atlanta! 30 min dog walk and lots of running stairs, laundry, general cleaning. Plan on BIG workout tomorrow!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010
    It is 5 pm and 11 BELOW ZERO here, crazy!! I wont' be walking outside for awhile! I am taking the night off and going to a basketball game. I will double up tomorrow. Like the tonic (with gin) idea Laughing !!!
  • patoo
    edited January 2010

I may also take tonight off, just walk/march/step in place during news tonight.  Will definitely be back on board tomorrow.

Enjoy your evening ladies.

• septembersong
    edited January 2010

Lorrie, I met with the exercise person yesterday at Dana Farber. She was great--gave me an individualized program that covers cardio, weight, and flexibility exercises. Of course this stuff is all out there in many books and manuals, but it was really helpful to talk to someone about my specific issues (bad knee and moderate lymphedema risk). She also runs a weekly exercise class for bc patients/survivors that's free to DF patients. If you'd like more info about the survivorship clinic, I'll be glad to PM you. How do I do that?

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303
    edited January 2010

Thanks for the info September.  I would appreciate a PM about the clinic.  I live in the Boston area too but I wasn't treated at DF.  

I think if you click on my name it will bring you to my profile and then you can choose to "send a private message."  

Thanks so much!

Well...I don't think I'll get much exercise in this morning or today rather.  We are driving down to NYC to go to the theater tonight.  My DH gave me tix to Jersey Boys for my birthday back in October and tonight is the night.  We are staying overnight too!   So I guess the adventure will be fun and hopefully, I'll get some walking done around the city!  ;)

I love our enthusiasm.  Reading all of our posts makes me motivated to get up and do it.  I like that we can find ways to fit in the exercise when the weather doesn't cooperate.  It is really cold here today too but I do my workouts inside most of the time.  Ruthbru--I don't think I could deal with the below zero temps.  Yikes.  Do they close the schools for coldness?  They've done that here before!  lol.

Lorrie 

• mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

Stupid gym is closed again because its too cold out...0 degrees! I guess thats what I get for going to the hospital wellness center instead of a mainstream gym with to 20's! Not very motivated to workout at home. Think I might go shopping! 

Happy Weekend! 

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Hey mom_of_2, if it's a mall you can walk that.  Walk the perimiter inside at a decent pace just browsing in the windows as you go.  It's actually fun to do, especially as something different for a change.  0 degrees in Atlanta - Wow.  My niece is in Lithonia and is also complaining.  I'm surprised that the hospital wellness center gym is closed since the hospital has to be open anyway!

I did an hour of running/aerobics in the pool this morning.  Will get on treadmill tonight.  Down 7 lbs from December 1 so I'm still motivated. 

Stay warm everyone.

(edited to fix typo)

• hbcheryl
    edited January 2010

Did an hour cardio dance class today, patoo that is great news keep up the good work, it really helps when you see that needle going down, mom_of_2 I can't believe they'd keep the gym closed but as long as you go back when they open up again that is what counts.  Out to play Cranium with friends tonight - we always have lots of laughs on game night.

Cheryl  

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

I did a 10 minute "Ab Express" DVD, a 30 minute "Rock Solid Buns" DVD, and an old Richard Simmons tape called "Dance Your Pants Off". Speaking of Richard Simmons; I recall that I once saw an interview with him, in which he said you should get 4 hours of aerobic exercise, and 3 hours of toning a week, so that is what I'm going to try to do, gives me a kind of specific goal to meet.  Morgan, I am a teacher so can tell you from personal experience that no, they do not close schools because of the cold in North Dakota (or else we would never go to school at all Frown) but we did have a two hour late start the other morning when it was really cold and snowing both. Sigh. Have a good rest of the weekend. I am going to do something 'exercizy' again tomorrow!

• mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

Patoo...I took your advise and hit the mall...gym closing is very expensive! Walked/tried-on and browsed for 3 hours. Not close to gym workout but better than lying in bed and being lazybones!

Have a warm night!

Kris 

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Well, it's exercise trying on - take off clothes, try on new ones, twist and turn in front of mirror to see all angles, make brain cells convince you it looks okay or you will fit it next month, twist and turn some more, exercise brain cells to give you the real scoop, take off clothes, try on next outfit, repeat steps above, take off clothes, put on old clothes, carry outfits out to rack, leave dressing room, walk to next store, repeat above again - yeah, you got your exercise in today - that's your story and I'm sticking to it!   Wink

Just got off the treadmill - 2 miles; 40 minutes - not half as much fun as the mall.

I'm whupped.

• kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2010

Hello everyone. I would like to join the club if I can.  I have heel spurs so am not able to walk very far.  I have a bike which I enjoy riding.  My husband is blind and has a guide dog so we went to the park, me riding he walking, then let the dog have a free run at the park.  Then came home, about 30 minutes.  I also go to the gym (curves) 3 times a week.  Patoo I also enjoy the pool and doing water aerobics.  Good luck everyone and keep it up.

Jennie

• septembersong
    edited January 2010

Hi Kirstensmum, welcome to the club!

Just a note on heel spurs. I had one that was really painful and saw a podiatrist, who gave me a cortisone shot that gave me immediate relief. After that I changed my footwear so that I got real support whenever I was walking--lace-up oxfords, Mephisto sandals--and I've never had a problem with heel spurs since. I do spend a lot of money on shoes.

• mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

YAY gym reopened at 11am today!

* 2.25 miles stairmaster

* 30 min treadmill

* 45 min upper body workout

* 15 min stretching

Happy Sunday! 

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Go mom_of_2 - awesome workout!

Jennie, welcome.  I had heel spurs, both feet, and got to the point I could only walk on my tippy-toes.  Cortisone shots did not work for me at all.  Finally gave in and had them removed 5 years ago.  You should be okay exercising in the pool as you don't bear weight in the water.

Haven't done anything yet today but expect to get on the treadmill or do a DVD later. 

• hbcheryl
    edited January 2010

Hi Kirstensmum and welcome, I see you're from Australia - me too, well I'm an American citizen now have lived here for 33 years, I had heel spurs many years ago and my my they were painful, I used to use the cord off my dressing gown and put it around the ball of my foot and do pull back stretches and that gave me some relief but like September I ended up having a cortisone shot.

Ruthbru I love Richard Simmons he is so encouraging and empowering, I have some of his tapes but I don't a VHS player anymore only a DVD. 

Did a step class this morning then came home and worked in the garden for an hour.  The best part of the day - I went for a massage, so now I feel floppy and fabulous.

Fantastic workouts everyone!!!

• ruthbru
    edited January 2010

I bought a combined DVD/VHS player, because I have tons of old movies and exercise tapes. I know there are people who can transfer tapes to DVD, but I don't know how much it would cost ( actually probably any teenager could do it as they know all about electonics!). I did a 60 minute FIRM tape called 'Total Aerobics and Weight Training' and then walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. hbcheryl, I am jealous of you being to be out in a garden!!!! We are trapped in our houses here in North Dakota!!! Great work everyone!!!

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited January 2010

This little fatty is starting to take advantage of the exercise machines at work, it better work.

• kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2010

I have had 3 injections of cortisone into the spurs and I get some relief but not much.  The clinic here only allows 3 injections every 12 months.  I have orthotics for my shoes which help.  About 6 years ago I had radiation treatment to soles of my feet (everyday for 2 weeks), that worked brilliantly however you are only allowed one treatment.  Patoo, I agree about the pool its the only place where I don't feel them.

Glad the gym has reopened mom of 2.  I would love some of the energy you have.  Hello hbcheryl which state are you from?  I'm from perth WA.

Well today I have ridden to and from the gym.  All up about 45mins. 

Keep up the good work everyone, talk to you tomorrow.

Jennie

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2010
    Hey All!  Today was my daughters 14th Birthday and we went "glow in the dark" bowling!  What a laugh!!  That was all my excercise today though, tomorrow I will start the FIRM and alternate the days with Richard Simmons.  I too have a DVD/VCR combo as most of my R.S. workouts are on video!  Thanks to all of you - you keep me motivated!  That and the fact that I am going on a cruise in February! Cool
  • mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

Good Morning ladies...it's Monday a a great day for exercising and starting the week out with a bang! We can do this together...look where we are coming from...WE CAN DO ANYTHING!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2010

Okay Mom MUm is off to the gym have to work off the weekend indulgences.Wish me luck.

• mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

* 30 min elliptical (gluteal program) Hoping to leave some glut behind Laughing!!

* 45 min lower body workout

* 20 min treadmill (weight loss program)

* 15 min stretching

Happy Monday!