Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited January 2010

He He He!  I need to leave some glute behind also!  Just finished my FIRM Total body workout. I'm exhausted and am feeling some muscles that I wasn't aware that I owned after bowling yesterday!! Happy Excercising!!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited January 2010

Did nothing yesterday.  Going down on the treadmill now.  I have some walking DVDs but need to get some other workout tapes, just afraid I will spend the money and not do them.  Anyway, back later to report.

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited January 2010

I do 15 mins on one of these babies burn 100 cals on my break then go walking outside after my lunch break, BRRRRR it's cold in MA.

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Treadmill: 45 mins = 2.2 miles

• patoo
    edited January 2010

deboye, tried one of those at the gym a couple times; couldn't go for more than a couple minutes.  Kind of embarrassing to get on one and a few minutes later get off - everyone else around you still going like 6x as fast as I did for 2 mins.  Thought I would have a stroke so gave up!

Ah, just looked up and saw your signature LOL - I surrendered.

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited January 2010

Hi all: I need to exercise more as it does help with the SEs of the chemo. My favorite exercise is walking. I wear a pedometer and in the past my goal was 10,000 steps/day (about 4.5 miles). I did that a few times after starting chemo but now it's just so darn cold outside, and I'm really feeling the cold now, that I've had very few outdoor walks in the last month. Today I drove to a mall and did some mall-walking. That way I clocked up 5,000 steps and feel the better for it. But indoor walking is a poor companion to walking in the great outdoors in the fresh air.

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Hi MaryNY - I agree indoor walking is not the same but I enjoy it at the mall for the change of pace/scenery.  I am really an indoor walker as I find I don't walk as fast or as far outside.  Maybe that's because where I live is reallly very uninteresting.  

But, spring is coming!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,544
    edited January 2010

45 minutes on the treadmill, and 30 minutes "Rock Solid Abs". I'm glad we are posting, or I would have not done a thing!!! MaryNY, I miss walking outside too, nothing is the same as some fresh air.....but we have to play with the hand we're dealt, and wait for spring! Patoo, maybe someone would be selling exercise DVD'S at rummage sales, and you can get them really cheap at KMart, Walmart etc. Good for us for doing this!! Can anyone think of an exercise inspiring name for our group?

• kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2010

Keep up the good work everyone.  Today all I have done is 30 minutes on the bike.  Getting ready to go away for a few days to the beach, its summer here, will keep posting as I have a laptop.

Take care everyone

Jennie

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2010

Off to the gym ladies but I am having to drag myself there.

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Mum - we can relate. 

I have to drop DS home after work and it takes all my willpower to not go inside and curl up on the couch.  Instead I will let him out of the car and head for the gym aquacise class tonight.  If I go inside it's all over, although I may at least get on the treadmill.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited January 2010

You go girl!

• mom_of_2
    mom_of_2 Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2010

I'm with you Patoo...go inside and it all over! Mum...glad you dragged yourself to the gym...don't you feel great now!

* 60 min treadmill

* 45 min upper body (seeing onc surgeon tomorrow and wanted upper bod to look as toned as possible)

* 15 min stretching 

HAPPY TUESDAY GIRLS! 

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited January 2010

Internet down at home so this is for yesterday.

1 hour combat class, 10 mins recumbent bike, 10 mins stair climber, 45 mins lower body workout in weight room.

Jeannie I'm from Sydney, have fun on your holiday, go for a nice walk on the beach. 

Patoo try ebay for some reasonably priced workout tapes, also I have a suggestion - when you do the eliptical and can only do a couple of minutes, go to the bike and do a couple of mins then to the treadmill and do the same - everyone will think you're circuit trainingSurprised when I first started the stair climber I could do 3 minutes and thought a heart attack was coming next, now I can do 45 minutes but I'm bored out of my head.

You east coasters/mid westerners have my admiration sticking to your workouts with this horrible weather, hopefully we're sending sunshine your way.

Cheryl

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Thanks Cheryl - all your wonderful ladies are "sunshine"!

I like the circuit training idea.  Have looked on ebay for DVD's just not sure which I want. 

Did an hour aquacise class this evening but didn't really feel it was much of a workout.  Will stay away from the classes and do my own.  I think I push myself more in the pool.  Last night on my treadmill I was also able to intersperse short spurts of runniing so hope to push more and more each week. 

Nighty night.

• fmakj
    edited January 2010

Patoo if your knees are bad, make sure you get low impact aerobic. I have a bad knee and I find that I can do the FIRM Workout (with Janet Jones) with just modifying the jumping jacks.  It incoporates weights and floor excercises also.  I alternate that with Richard Simmons, but am suffering a sore knee from bowling Sunday, that I have to be careful with the steps.... and not even my BAD knee!!   I don't really see myself running - yet!!

Mom of 2 and Cheryl where do you find the energy for all that??

• fmakj
    edited January 2010

Patoo if your knees are bad, make sure you get low impact aerobic. I have a bad knee and I find that I can do the FIRM Workout (with Janet Jones) with just modifying the jumping jacks.  It incoporates weights and floor excercises also.  I alternate that with Richard Simmons, but am suffering a sore knee from bowling Sunday, that I have to be careful with the steps.... and not even my BAD knee!!   I don't really see myself running - yet!!

Mom of 2 and Cheryl where do you find the energy for all that??

HAPPY EXCERCISING!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,544
    edited January 2010

Yes, I think Cheryl and Mom of 2 are our champion exercisers! I had a long meeting after work, got home at 5:45, and my once a month Book Club met at 7:00, so no exercise then. But I am feeling somewhat virtuous because I came home at 9:30; did 20 minutes on the treadmill, and 20 of Richard Simmons "Blast and Tone" (skipping the warm up and cool down). Good work guys!

• kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2010

Hello everyone. I have done a 30 minute curves workout today. Patoo have you tried your local library. Here in Australia you can loan exercise dvds as you would books. This way you don't need to get bored and it cost nothing, just a thought. Well done to everyone for keeping up the good work.

Bye for now

Jennie

• mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

Good Morning Girls...

No gym for me today...onc appt this morn followed by crazy day. DH has tennis tonite and son has bass lesson so I don't think I will find time. Will get out and walk dogs though.

Patoo...got hair done last night and that is my chance to follow-up on latest magazine. February issue of Real Simple has a breakdown and rating for top workout dvd's. Don't know about you but I don't like to blindly buy and then hate instructor/workout.

Ruth...you're sweet! For me exercise is very empowering. I am reclaiming my body and trying to make up for the year of hell it had to endure.

HAPPY WEDNESDAY! 

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Mom_of_2, you're right, I don't want to buy something I won't use.  I will see if I can find that magazine.(or read it online) and I like Kirstensmum's tip to check the library.  That way I would be able to try them before buying.  Thanks all!

I like how you say you are 'reclaiming your body' - can we somehow word that to be what we call ourselves as was suggested by someone a few posts ago?  "Body Snatchers" is interesting but sounds a little to macabre!

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2010

Hi all,

Just back from the gym, where I did 30 minutes on the stationary bike. Planning to make a run at the elliptical machines. The last time I tried one, I had to get right off because my knee couldn't take the weight. There are six or seven different kinds and I'm going to try them all to see if there's one I can tolerate. I hope to do this little trial when there aren't too many other people at the gym. I like the circuit training idea, but that won't work on this little caper.

FREEZING cold here but the sun's out and it's a gorgeous day. Feels good to be alive!

Mom_of_2, I love the idea of reclaiming one's body. That's really what's needed after all this treatment, worry, etc. Thanks for putting it into words.

• hbcheryl
    edited January 2010

Good morning all, my internet is still down at home hopefully they are coming to fix today.  Last night they had new choreography (sp?) for our step class, all I can say is aghhhhh I think there was a cup of sweat on the floor but even though I was huffing and puffing I did it, I couldn't do the "speed step" on the step so I did it on the floor but at least I kept going and then I did half the cardio dance class that follows step I could only do half as the bottom of my feet were burning, I was supposed to go to the grocery store after the gym but I was too exhausted, so I went home put on my pyjamas and channel flipped between American Idol and Biggest Loser.

Now I have to say my weight doesn't change but I was in front of the mirror last night and I swear my belly is going down (hope it wasn't just an optical illusion!!!!!)

Patto - Kirstensmum is right my library also has exercise videos for a 7 day rental for free.  I go to the library in Newport Beach as it is free but the one in Huntington Beach charges for their media so check around you may find a free one near you.

Ruth you rock, what is your book club reading, I am in the middle of U is for Undertow.

Who in their right mind would have ever though I'd become a gym rat at almost 60 - girls I am so proud of you all, keep up the good work.

Cheryl

• patoo
    edited January 2010

I agree about the gym.  I think eventually we are gonna have them 20-somethings saying 'wots up with all these elderly folks showing off!' 

• hbcheryl
    edited January 2010

Too funny patoo, I think you're right.  My gym is near a high school and it has a huge athletic program so there are a lot of kids in the gym.  On monday night there were two newbies come into the combat class, probably seventeen, size 2's so they thought they were all that, 20 minutes in at the first break they were trying to decide whether to leave or not as it was HARD, bless them they did stay till the end but they hobbled out .....

• patoo
    edited January 2010

Now that's really funny!!

• mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

Ok really bad day Cry. I know this is a very positive thread but I need one second to vent.

First I'm fine...onc surgeon is thrilled with my progress and said she wants to start a clinical study regarding exercise and recovery.

Bad news...research coordinator that saw me weekly through my 12 months of infusion was diagnosed with my identical cancer and joined the same study. I was very positive talking to her and reassured her that she will come through this like a bright shining star. I reminded her of my chemo/surgery and bald days and told her in 12 months she'd be where I am today! We said our goodbyes then I got pissed. WTF...she has dedicated her life to breast cancer research and now she's a patient. She can never escape cancer because she works in the cancer center all week and has her infusion on Friday afternoon. I'm so MAD!!!

This Friday I am going to surprise her and visit during infusion...I hope seeing me reminds her of how far I have come and she will be here soon.

So after the morning I had...I cleared my afternoon and will be off to the gym after I pick up my DS at the bus stop. I'll check-in tonight after I burn off some anger! 

Thanks for letting me vent...Kris 

• hbcheryl
    edited January 2010

Hey Kris, vent all you want, the worst thing being in the "industry" is that she actually knows what all is coming, when I was diagnosed I didn't know a thing and I'm sure it's the same for most of us.  I know she will appreciate you being there for her as we all know we lose people who we thought were our friends when we embark on this darned journey but we also find new and wonderful friends and I'm sure you will be that for her.

BIG HUG, Cheryl

• Writeangel
    Writeangel Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2010

Nothing beats Wii Fit Plus. You have so much fun, you forget you're exercising. And when you don't do as well as you think you can, you keep saying "just one more time! just one more time!"

• mom_of_2
    edited January 2010

Amazing how anger can fuel a workout!

* 20 min treadmill (weight loss program)

* 35 min bike (weight loss)

* 50 min abs

* 15 min cool down

Thanks Cheryl...you are right...it was probably easier for us because we were clueless. Edith is an expert so she knows too much...very scary. The only good thing about all of this is that she had her choice of multiple clinical trials and chose mine...confirmed that I made the right choice.

Unrelated...the number on my scale hasn't changed either but my clothes fit differently and I feel/see the changes in my body. I'd really like to see the number drop but there's not much more I can do. DH reminds me that I'm taking Tamoxifen and Effexor XR and maintaining instead of gaining!