Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited October 2011
    I did my gym ritual this morning but my **** Arthritis is flaring up again.Yell
  • Romansma
    Romansma Member Posts: 650
    edited October 2011

Made it to the gym this morning!  Patoo.....you made me smile!

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited October 2011

Walked an insane amount this pas weekend for an event called Nocturne...are all over the city...free from 6-12midnight...we paddled in the am, walked in the pm and then walked there and back at night..it was a VERY slow slog home ...have not done much since but we are going to walk downtown for music tonight...the POP EXPLOSIoN starts onight....5 mnights of music so we have ours planned out pretty well)

• quiche
    quiche Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2011

Oh boy, having a heck of a time getting back at it. Little motivation yesterday, but did drag myself to the treadmill and got 30 minutes in. Today I did some arm weights, a little gardening and a 36 min walk-run. Feeling like I'm starting to come around . . . thinking about a bike ride tomorrow.

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,850
    edited October 2011

Mary: Thanks for your advice on a washing machine. It wasn't fun sucking all the water up - what a mess! Now we think it was the sump pump (it's right beside the washer). Not sure what happened. I ran the washer and nothing leaked. Dh checked the sump pump out. Such a puzzle! Good luck with your refrigerator.

Quiche: Have fun on your bike tomorrow.

Everybody is doing SO good with their activity! I started clearing, cleaning, hauling stuff out of the garage. Also did some yard work. No walking tonight.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2011

Got in about 2 miles today but it really was exercise just walking at work and then in Costco and the supermarket for continental breakfast items for work tomorrow.  My department is weird (of course we're systems people) but when someone gets a promotion they are 'obligated' (read 'expected') to provide breakfast for the department (about 130 hungry folks).  I worked for a year and a half to get my manager's boss promoted.  Little did I know, my manager was also working to get me promoted so we both got promoted (he to VP, me to Manager) so breakfast is on us.  I guess they figure since you get a raise with the promotion you can afford to feed everyone.  It's funny because they now never promote only one at a time because the cost would be high for one person to foot.

Think I'll browse another few minutes and threads and hop on the treadmill for a few. 

Night my sculpted friends.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2011

An hour of Body Step and a half hour of Combat tonight.  I don't think I'm going to do Step again till they change it as it's too hard on my knees   Mum hope the *%^& arthritis calms down, you don't realize how painful it is until you have it.  Congratulations Patoo.  Quiche it will be a beautiful day tomorrow for a bike ride.  

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,527
    edited October 2011

Between numerous interuptions, I managed to get in an hour total on the treadmill.

Congratulations, patoo! How in the world do you feed 130 people breakfast?! If I bring one plate of cookies to the lounge every once and awhile, I think I am doing good!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2011

Congratulations patoo on your promotion!  What a nice tradition to host breakfast.

Ruth, when I finished chemo I hosted a "mocktail" party for the people in my office.  Had some appetizers catered in, brought in a couple bottles of sparkling apple juice, some root beer and ginger ale, and furnished the fixings for Virgin Marys (then ended up bartending because most people didn't know how to make a decent one).  Lots of fun and a good way to say thanks for being a great supportive bunch.

Between walking to lunch and walking around the office, I put in three miles yesterday.  

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited October 2011

Still walking daily .... Think I am ready to start up my Wii Fit again!  We are under a rainfall warning today, so today may be the Wii Fit day!!!

Congrats Patoo!!  Feeding 130 for breakfast??  Enjoy!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2011

We had 5 doz bagels, 4 doz croissants, 5 doz muffins, 3 large fruit bowls, zucchini bread, chocolate rugula, OJ, reg and decaf coffee.   All that was left by lunch is a dozen croissants and about 8 muffins.  Probably has something to do with free food that you don't have to cook yourself.  They will finish  it tomorrow! 

Now, down to the treadmill because I did have a croissant for breakfast and muffin for lunch!

• PLJ
    PLJ Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2011

Congrats, Patoo! Oooh, sounds yummy.

Treadmill...1 hour as usual...despised it today and had to really force myself to complete the hour. Can't wait until tomorrow! <roll eyes>

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011
    45 minutes of toning and 30 on the treadmill. Patoo, Badger, Cheryl and I are getting excited for our Minneapolis adventure (Fri-Sun). Post as to whether you'd rather have us 'toast' you with a glass of wine or Creme Brulee.......I foresee both in our plans! Cool
  • Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2011

Wunderland, where in NC are you? I'm in Raleigh!

45 on the elliptical tonight!! I didn't want to do it, but I make myself. Feel much better afterwards. Was feeling all sluggish and blah.... 

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited October 2011

Wunder love the pics.  Congrats on the promo Patoo.  Ladies enjoy Minneapolis.  walked 30 minute with the Wii fit and then did 10 minutes of strength trainning.  

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2011

Patoo - congratulations on the promotion!!  Promotions are hard to come by in this day and age, so it had to be very well deserved!  Your work group sounds like mine - like a plague of locusts descending on a free food table!

Ruth - I vote for the glass of wine toast - maybe even some bubbly?? Cool

30 minutes on the elliptical this morning.  Innocent  Dinner at a Mexican restaurant tonight, including margaritas.  Surprised  Oh well - tomorrow is another day!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2011

hey Ruth, I'm bringing a bottle of Helga's Red.  Haven't ever tasted it but love the pkg!

Will also bring a bottle of sparkling white grape juice in case someone doesn't drink wine. 

Got in a brief walk outside for a mid-afternoon coffee, very brisk outside today!  TTFN Tarts

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011

We'll drink a Helga's Red for you, Mary!

• quiche
    quiche Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2011

Got a bike ride in today. Probably wouldn't have done it without the support of this group. Thanks everyone. Creme brulee vs. wine?!?! That's too hard . . . how about a bite of creme brulee followed by a sip of wine . . . THAT would be devine!

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011
    Consider it done! Smile
  • zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited October 2011

I haven't been on in a while. We are short two tellers at work, so I have been working extra hours. I taught zumba this morning, then went to my herceptin apt. and they said my blood test from yesterday puts me at nuetrapenic. I am very bummed. They don't want me to teach zumba the next several days, and to be very cautious. I need to keep tabs on my tempature.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011

GRRR. Be good for now. How many herceptins left to go?

• zumbagirl
    zumbagirl Member Posts: 250
    edited October 2011

I get herceptin every week, until June 2012

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited October 2011
    Another spin class tonight I'm still hurtin' from step yesterday so I didn't get to do my beloved combat, ah well tomorrow is another day.  PLJ I know what you mean, there are days when I just don't feel like exercising but I always feel so much beter after I've finished.  By the time I get to the restaurant there may not be any creme brulee leftSurprised
  • orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited October 2011

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I didn't find any other threads related to getting back to one's yoga practice. I'm primarily a runner, but after five months of not being permitted to do any yoga asana, I found I really missed the total physical integration of the body that you get when you practice. Because the implant for my UMX was placed under my chest muscles, and they were stretched and expanded with the TE, I wasn't allowed to bear weight on my arms or use my chest at all. Even something as simple as hands-and-knees position wasn't permitted. But now that my PS has given me the green light, I'm slowly getting back to taking classes.

I practice Anusara yoga, if anyone knows what that is or is familiar. I went to class last night, third one so far in the past two weeks, and I was asked to demo bridge pose for the class. Now the teacher knew I had been out and not practicing, so I was a bit hesitant as to how my body would respond. I hadn't even tried that pose yet on my own before. All I'd been doing in physical therapy up until now was gentle stretching, and recently a litttle bit of bicep/tricep work.

But I got up in the pose. :)

Then when the teacher told us to try full wheel, I figured I'd try it as well. Got up in that one too, and it was just as my body always was, straight arms and everything. Oh yeah, I'm not as strong as I used to be, but the control and awareness is still there, in spite of parts of me still being numb and replaced.

Thanks for letting me share my little yoga victory here. I hope to get to know you all, and happy healing and exercising, everyone!

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited October 2011

Zumba - bummer on the neutropenia. Take care of yourself and I hope it resolves soon. 

Badger - that Helga's Red bottle rocks!!!  Who cares what it tastes like - the bottle alone is worth the price!!  Have a wonderful time!!!

Orange - welcome!!  There's a lot of us here who do yoga, so you're in good company.  Congratulations on finding your body is stronger than you thought it would be after going through so much - what a great feeling that must have been. Hooray!!!!

Just a word of caution (and the regulars here know what's coming as I'm the local Debbie Downer about lymphedema) - I see by your sig that you had a node removed, so you are at an increased risk for lymphedema.  Too many surgeons tell patients who have had just a SNB that LE is rare or non-existant for them, but if you check out the Lymphedema section here, there are many many women who contracted LE with just a single node removed. The trick is to start VERY slowly, and to STOP immediately if you feel any of the signs of LE, including arm heaviness, tingling, or any other "different" feeling.  You may want to get a consult with a certified LE therapist who can help design a good program for you that gradually builds up your arm strength in a safe way to minimize your LE risk.  Check out the Lympedema section (there's a new thread called "Lympedema after snb" - you'd be surprised at how many women have full blown LE after SNB and how many of them were not advised by their surgeons of their increased risk).  There's also an excellent website called stepup-speakout.org put together by women, including a doctor, who developed LE after breast cancer treatment and were appalled by how little info there is for patients out there.  

Bottom line is that the vast majority of women with an SNB will never develop LE, so the odds are definitely in your favor.  But it doesn't hurt to take some simple precautions which will drastically reduce your odds even more.  

And now on to my exercise report in:  30 minutes weights/resistance plus 15 minute Lebeds.  Getting excited about the 5K on Sunday - it's supposed to be a crisp beautiful day.   

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011

Another thing you can do to reduce the risk of LE is to vary your exercise routinue. Exercise different parts of your body on different days and/or different muscle groups. I never do the same toning workout two days in a row. Right now, I've done a stretch of routines involving the upper body, so today I will walk and do lower body stuff only.( I imagine that is a good strategy to follow even if you aren't worried about LE).

Welcome orangemat! We love all kinds of exercising and exercisers!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited October 2011

Yeah Patoo!  Good for you!

Its been steel cold and rainy here in Chicago for the past 2 days.  So I wimped out of running.  I did power yoga today, and watching the weather reports, hoping that it iclears up later this afternoon so I can do a 30 min walk/run.

It is supposed to be nice this weekend, so plan on stepping it back up then.  I have a 5K on 10.29!  I want to be able to run at least 1/2 of it.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited October 2011

Thanks for all the info, NatsFan. Actually, I have been having some strange triceps pain for a couple weeks now. It started when my PT added in sidelying external rotation exercises, though with no weight, to work on strengthening a chronic weakness in my shoulder girdle. It's worse when I wear certain bras and/or high heels. It almost seems like it's referred pain from my shoulderblade and rib area, that wraps around my arm and flows down the back of it to my elbow. My PS thought I might have a neuroma that got trapped in there when I had the TE exchange in July. I see him this afternoon to hear more about what revision plans he can offer me. I'll look at all that LE info as well, good to know.

Yes, that's good advice, ruthbru, regardless of the risk of LE, I know! I used to be a personal trainer, then transitioned over to the world of yoga. Did a teacher training and taught for a couple years, but it wasn't suiting me, I think. Seems I'm a much better yoga student than yoga teacher.  Maybe someday I'll go back to it, but right now I'm enjoying taking an occasional class and not being so immersed in it. It's really the yoga that's "off the mat" that matters the most, of course.

CorinneM1, good luck with your 5k! My most recent race was a 4-miler, and don't have anything upcoming on my schedule until my Disney World marathon on January 8. I registered for that back in May, a couple days before my UMX, thinking that by then I'd certainly be healed and ready to train. But now I'm up for revision surgery, which I just found I'll be needing. Do I delay the procedure so that I can train for and run this marathon, my first? Or do I schedule it for as soon as possible, so that I can finally be done and be ME?? As it is, I've only got 12 weeks to work with at this point. I had been training for the Avon Walk in NYC that was this past weekend, so I couldn't really focus on running 100% up until now. This afternoon's appointment should help me decide a bit, I hope.

Ran a nice 5.5 miles this morning which ended up being an unintentional progression run. Guess it takes me a good 4-5 miles to finally warm up!

It's sunny and breezy here in Northeastern NJ. Hope everyone gets a chance to get outside today, wherever you all are!

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited October 2011

Welcome orange...the group here loves to keep in shape. I do Yoga twice a week but it's not always easy to keep the pose.It has helped with strengthening my body.'

I am doing the 5K in Green Bay next May. I figured if my son can do the whole marathon I should do the shorty with my DIL. I've walked more than she ever has so I should be good to go.

Raining and very cold today soooo...I had to opt out of my walk.Yell