Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited November 2011

Rabbit--thanks for keeping us informed.  That's awesome that you are doing 30 min walks.  Go girl!

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited November 2011

Hi CorrineM1!

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I will definitely have my PS further clarify his definition of "activity"--- but he was adamant that I do nothing to intentionally raise my heart rate.   I just can't see the reasoning here so I shall ask him for an explanation :) 

Until then, I'll be living vicariously through your exercise!  Can't wait to join in! :)

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2011

Dukes - I had staged DIEP recon, so I had TEs after my BMX for 9 months.  After the initial 6 weeks of post-surgical restrictions, my ps took me off of all restrictions, and encouraged as much physical activity as I wanted.  My ps was actually pleased that I was so active, including some hard ellipitcalling - certainly something that raised my heart rate.  Also, a few months prior to my DIEP, she arranged a couple of sessions for me with the hospital PT department to give me a core strengthening workout program - there were some very intense PT exercises there that absolutely raised my heart rate.  I would definitely ask your PS to clarify what he means, and if his definition of "activity" is still so very restrictive, I'd ask him to give you specific reasons why he's restricting you so much - there may be something about your case that is unusual, but you certainly have a right to know that. 

Meanwhile, I'm still on restrictions from my revision last week, so I'll have to live vicariously through everyone else as well. I go back for my post op appointment tomorrow and hopefully will get this %$#*& drain pulled!!

Rabbit - sounds like you've been through the wringer!  Hopefully things will start to improve.  Carol - good to hear from you! Ruth - an enthusiastic hygienist - yikes!!!  Sealed

• Unknown
    edited November 2011

Dukes_Up - I had immediate implants, but my PS restricted all activity that raised my heartrate until I passed the week 4 mark. Then I was cleared to get heartrate up, but w/o moving my arms (b/c of implants) - and if I had swelling, she told me to stop cardio. Just today, at week 7, I was cleared for all activity . . . told to gradually amp it up and to watch the pec work closely. She acknowledges that she is very cautious, but told me she felt that she'd seen too many women do too much too soon and set themselves back. I am a VERY active person so I have had to SIT on myself these past few weeks. So excited to be cleared today so that I can start ramping back up - I FEEL for you with the battiness - been there!

Orangemat - my breast PT says "scar tissue is the enemy"! Glad you have someone helping you tackle this.

All - cleared to do ANYTHING now. Biggest barriers for me will be stamina and swelling, I think. Happy to be able to try things out now, at least, and make my way back to my super-active pre-op lifestyle! 

Sarah 

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,849
    edited November 2011

NATUREGRRL: So glad you posted!!! Hope all has been well with you. I miss you beautiful description of your walks. Please keep coming back. You have been greatly missed!

Rabbit: Taxol just about did me in - I hurt so bad! Glad that you're doing better.

Welcome Dukes.

I went for my walk/run at the park earlier than usual because I have a long meeting tonight. Hard to sit on my bottom for so many hours so I made sure I exercised before the meeting.

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2011

wonderland, what did taxol do to you? I find it much easier than docetaxel...I have some intense bone pain, some numbness and tingling in the feet and hands, and after 5 txs of it, I am getting more and more drained easier, and each week it seems to get a bit worse. Did you have that same effect from it?

• Unknown
    edited November 2011

OK, so when I posted my reply to Dukes_Up, none of the other replies were visible? So weird - maybe logging on w/different computers and cookies is fouling me up? Anyway - Dukes - my BS and PS said the reasoning was that when you move around more, your body creates and also redistributes fluid . . . and when you have an area of injury, it'll send fluid to that spot. Their rationale for the no HR up was that they didn't want excess fluid buildup around my mastectomy/reconstruction sites b/c it'd interfere w/healing. 

But do ask, b/c the restrictions suck. I've already emailed my Pilates instructor and plotted out a cardio gameplan for the coming week - I'm so frickin' excited to move around again!

Sarah 

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited November 2011

Wonderland~ Thank you for the welcome! 

Sarah~ Thank you so much for sharing your experience/insight.  Makes perfect sense re: fluid/healing.  I'm so happy that you've now been cleared for all activities--- YESSSSSSSS!!!!!  I went into this surgery knowing that my activity would be restricted; however, I had no clue how difficult it would be to adhere to the restrictions.  I keep telling myself that my body is getting the rest that I've deprived it of for so long. 

Mary~ I really appreciate your response.  I'll definitely be discussing this with my PS but perhaps I'm just being too impatient as it's only been 2 weeks since BMX.  Good luck at your post-op appointment tomorrow and I'll be sending you "Drain Be Gone" wishes!

Night All.. and thank you for the warm welcome!

~ AJ

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited November 2011

Rabbit sorry you are struggling with pain.  Hang in there.

Dukes up I had BMX with immediate implants and if I remember correctly I was told I could walk right away and everything else had to wait 6 weeks.  I don't remember anything about heart rate.  Anyway, until six weeks it was mild walks and stretching.  Then I was told to go ahead with anything.  

Half hour walk with hubby tonight I think we went 1.5 miles.  Not a great pace but good for our bodies and our marriage. 

• wonderland
    edited November 2011

Rabbit: I had 4 dose dense Taxol treatments (one every 2 weeks). I hurt from head to toe! And my heels peeled - felt like they were peeling to the bone. I used cow udder ointment and that really helped my heels.After my 2nd tx I told my dh I couldn't do the next two. That's when my onc gave me Vicodin Rx. I also took Glucosamine and Chondroitin (they are horse pills!) I would moan just going from a sitting position to a standing one.

The pain stayed with me for months. But in the end, it was all worth it. Good luck with your treatments!!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2011

Hi Carol! ~ Hi Rabbit! ~ Welcome Dukes Up! ~ Good luck tomorrow, Mary!

It's great to see all the active people here.  Had a wonderful yoga class tonight.  Namaste'

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,526
    edited November 2011

Welcome Dukes Up! Hi to Carol and Rabbit from me too. Great to hear from you. BIG, HUGE BONUS POINTS for people exercising during active treatment, post-surgery etc.....and it doesn't have to be (really shouldn't be) an intense workout, anything you do at all it will help you bounce back so much quicker when you are done. Hang in there!

Got home late and a 45 minute toning workout with Denise Austin and 15 minutes on the treadmill.  I bought a Dancing With the Stars DVD called 'Cardio Latin Dancing'; I will have to try it out and see if I am ready for the big screen Tongue out!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2011
    Welcome Dukes up, Carol & Rabbit good to see you both.  After two days of sitting on a heating pad I went back to the gym tonight and did a spin class and boy was it hard to put on gym clothes but once it was over it felt good.  Ruth you dance, I'll voteLaughing
  • misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

45 Cardio Party this morning. We just got horrible news that my 33 year old BIL has been diagnosed with a rare form of glandular cancer, which has metastisized to his liver. He's being airflighted from Denver to Dana Farber today. Didn't sleep a wink.......at least I have a little energy from my workout. Have a great day.

• Unknown
    edited November 2011

Misswim - terrible news about your BIL . . . so so sorry to hear it. Will keep him in my thoughts. At least you know that he is in great hands at DFCI. Probably good to do a workout - will help you to keep your stress under control.

Mary - fingers crossed that you get that drain yanked today! 

OK ladies, I'm officially back in the game. Starting very slow, but did 1 mile of Leslie Sansone this a.m. - complete with (gentle) arms. It feels SO good to move my arms again. Then I stretched out like the old days (stretches that involve some arms) - feeling good now. Hopefully this won't cause me to swell up like a blowfish tomorrow.

Cheers to Thursday, hope you all have a good day.

Sarah 

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited November 2011

Sorry sorry MissSwim.  Your family is in my thoughts.

Sarah--good for you.  Take it slow and easy. You will be back into a regular routine in no time.

Day off today, will be doing a long run tomorrow morning and painting the living room, dining room and hallway Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I don't know if I will be able to squeeze anything more in this weekend, but will try little runs on Saturday and/or Sunday.

I figure if cleaning for the cleaning ladies counts, then painting gets some points, yes?

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2011

MissSwim - I am so sorry about your BIL. I'm so glad the family was able to get him to Dana Farber - he'll get top care. 

Sarah - good for you for getting started.  It takes a while to recover from all the treatments, so be good to yourself and don't overdo.  Corinne - Paint 'n Sculpt definitely counts as exercise!!  Ruth - can't wait to hear how the cardio latin dancing went!  Cheryl - good for you for getting to that spin class.  I think I get the most satisfaction out of those workouts where I really really didn't want to go beforehand.  So good for you!

Busy day - 6 months med onc appointment this morning, and surgical post op this afternoon.  All was well with the med onc - whew!  Those visits are unnerving.  And the afternoon went well too - surgeon is pleased with my healing so far.  And the drain??  GONE!!!  But I'm on "no jiggling" restrictions for 6 weeks after surgery - no jogging or any other exercise that involves "jiggling", so the 5K Turkey Trot I wanted to do Thanksgiving morning is not to be.  Frown I can walk and hike, and I am permitted to elliptical if I don't use the arms.  But that's about it.  So I'm going to have to do what I can, and live vicariously through the rest of you till my next appointment December 13.  Hopefully I'll be freed then.  

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

I did walk yesterday but today was ridiculous, all day on conference calls, not even bathroom or lunch break! (Had to take phone into bathroom, and pray I was on "mute"!!). This is not good for the body. I should have stood up and done jumping jacks! (next time).

Yesterday I walked 30 over lunch, tonight I am going to have to do some Yoga stretches for 30 to keep to my goal to do something everyday while away from home!!! 

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited November 2011

Springtime whoever you work for should give you a medal for conference calls in the bathroom !

Missswim I am sorry to  hear about your brother in law.  Hugs and best wishes for your BIL. 

• Unknown
    edited November 2011

Corinne - we'll all give you points for all that painting! think of all the shoulder work you're doing. add it to your ticker, for sure.

Springtime - sorry you're so ridiculously busy, but great for you that you're attempting to do anything at all and not collapsing into bed w/a jumbo bag of peanut M&Ms after a day like yours.

Mary - your restrictions sound much like the ones I came off of . . . sitting on your hands works wonders . . . it'll be frutrating, but eyes on the prize! Hang in there.

I'm off to bed - up waaay too early this a.m., plus the extra moving mean I'm pooped. So curious to see if today's mini-workout causes swelling tomorrow - so far, so good . . . could this mean . . . I can work out again tomorrow? Stay tuned! Wink 

Sarah 

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2011

orangemat- I have been going to a massage therapist who specializes in lymphodema, even thogh I do not have it...every 6 weeks or so I go..prevention....move the lymph fluid where it needs to go...and I too have been doing self massage....made the difference between wearingmy bras and not wearin gthem...being in pain and not being in pain.... and also stopped the swelling in my shoulder where my bra strap was....deep tissue and pointed areas...gave me something to do at stop lights..seriously!

• ruthbru
    edited November 2011

Hi, I did my new DVD, 'Latin Cardio Dance' tonight. I think it will be a nice (on the lighter side) workout once I figure out what the heck they are doing! Tongue out 60 minutes total: 5 minute warm up, 40 minutes of 4 different latin dances, and 15 minutes of toning at the end.

Happy Veteran's Day tomorrow.  If you are a veteran or a family member of someone in the military, thank you for your service to our country.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited November 2011

Wow all of you have been busy.  I have been going to PT for my pec muscle that has been giving me troubles since rads.  It is getting better.  Other than that have not had time for much.  With my Dad being sick and passing and then my surgery life has been slightly stressed.  I got picked for Casting for Recovery so I will be leaving tomorrow to go for the weekend and learn to fly fish.  Should be an interesting weekend and I am looking forward to getting away and the BS released me for activity.  She just made me promise I would not fall in the water.  Just wish DH was going with me, but this one is only for BC gals.  If any of you are interested they do them all over the United States and if you get picked it is free.  Here is the website if you want to check it out http://castingforrecovery.org/  Next week I hope to get back into some sort of a routine again with my yoga and walking.  I have been missing it with all that has been going on.  I'll check back in after my weekend and let you gals know how it went.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2011

Have fun, Sherry!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2011

Misswim I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL. Mary congrats on the med onc appointment and glad to hear your drain is out, can you do recumbent bike as you don't need to use your arms. Spring no jumping jacks when you need to peeSurprised Ruth you'll soon be our Mambo Queen. Sherry I hope you have a wonderful time, I've heard nothing but good things about those casting weekends.

Spin class and half a combat class tonight but the combat was very low impact did lots of marching in place instead of cross jacks and scissors.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

Officially calling today my day off. No sleep and I am pooped. Not sure if stress or the tamoxifen caused the insomnia. I did some yoga stretchs I'm bed-I am sore my first full week back to strenuous exercise. Planning an hour workout both days this weekend. Thank you so much for all your kind words.

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited November 2011

Mary - congrats on the drain removal. 

Misswim - sorry to hear about you BIL... will keep him in my prayers.

Carol - great to see you again.  Haven't seen you posting lately!  Hope everything is ok with you!

Sherry - have a great time this week end!

Wishing everyone a great day today!!  Let's remember to thank the veteran's today (and those still serving!).

Am heading out shortly for my morning walk...... in the SNOW!!  Surprised

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012

I've been lurking for a long, long, LONG time. Between the Arimidex, and the SSRI antidepressant I've been taking for years ( well b4 BLMX, chemotherapy) I am so overweight, I don't een get on a scale until my regular 6 month checkup at Dana Farber.  Yesterday, if it weren't fancyschmancy digital, I would have sworn their scale must have been broken.

SO, I bought Leslie Sansome ( some walking something tape?), and a Yoga for BC Survivors, and a beginning Pilates.  Now, all I have to do is DO something.  Thanks for being such a wonderfully inspiring group of women.  Really.

I'm off to find out what Cardio Step Mix is.  BTW, we have to bring our garbage to the local dump/depot once a week, and there is a "recycle" place there - so I am now the Proud Owner of a Step Thingie too.  There is just no excuse, except my usual, Just Not Doing it (no wonder Nike didn't use that one.)

Thanks again for being so inspiring. Sunflowers

ETA: oops, just googled Cardio Step Mix & there are a zillion (well, a lot) of them, will go back in this thread to see which one is most popular.

ETA again - SO CONFUSED.  Can anyone please suggest a good cardio/firming dvd for a 66 year young garden slug - who really NEEDS cardio.  Have all the free weights, just haven't used them in 5 years ( since diagnosis) - also VERY limited space to exercise (will move a table to make room) thaks again.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2011

Sunflowers, GREAT to see you over here!!!

There are tons of good exercise DVDs where you don't need much space. If you are starting from scratch, you will want something that is not too difficult. Richard Simmons is always fun. Denise Austin has good, easy to follow DVDs. I love the FIRM DVDs, but they would be something to work up to as they are hard. You can google DVDs....I have come across some websites that rate them (beginninger, intermediate, advanced etc. Whenever you start a new program, do the moves without weights at first, and then start with very light weights and work up slowly. Also vary your routines from day to day. (We will expect a report on your plan of action Wink.)

I had a lovely day off with gorgeous weather as a bouns; coffee with friends, shopped awhile, lunch with another friend, went for a long walk with another friend, and did a 30 minutes FIRM toning DVD.

Have a great weekend all!

• wonderland
    edited November 2011

Sunflower: Welcome! You CAN do it. Your mind is set to make changes and now you have to get your body moving! Start slow and take it easy. Every day add a little more. Good Luck!

Sherry: I went to the Casting for Recovery program in NC this past May. It was so much fun! Can't wait to hear about your weekend.

misswim: I am so sorry to hear about your BIL. May he have the best care.

Ruth: Your day sounds wonderful!

Happy Veteran's Day everyone. I fast walked the neighborhood this afternoon. Like Ruth, we also had gorgeous weather.