Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2011

thanks JFV, good luck 2u2!  Posted this to the E-LAB thread and wanted to share here too.  Yesterday I was listening to the People's Pharmacy on NPR.  They had a FASCINATING show on sugar.  Here's a link to their main site (some interesting stuff posted there), then the specific show.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2011/11/26/802-sugar-hazards/

here are a few thoughts I retained from the show:

Eat food in its natural state, as it comes out of the ground.  Avoid fruit juice, just eat the fruit.  Anything in a box was processed for self-life.  Shop the outsides of the grocery store (meat & veggies) and stay out of the aisles.  Look for hidden sugar in processed foods. 

Take the grams of sugar from the food label and divide it by four, that will tell you the number of teaspoons of sugar in a serving of that product.  My 'healthy' non-fat greek yogurt contains 13 grams or 3.25 tsp of sugar - yikes!

Eat low-glycemic index foods which slow down the absorbtion of sugars in the digestive tract. 

There was a lot more, about sugar and insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome (very bad).

Just wanted to pass this along... take care everyone!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited November 2011

Afternoon all--

Did a quick 20 min jog today and trying to get my house back in order, cause my house guests too have left today. 

Plan on doing a 30 min run in the morning and will try to increase the number of runs this week to 5 + the 5K on Saturday.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited November 2011

My body is SO sore from running yesterday after not running for 6 plus months.......... everything hurts. Did 45 minutes on the balance ball on with weights and upper and lower body. Have not taken a day off all in the last seven days. I have to remind myself I am only out from chemo a month and getting my strength back will take time.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited November 2011

It occurred to me the other day that I'm only 4 months out from my second surgery, and it's only been 6 months since the initial procedure. Somehow, with the passage of this time, only now am I aware that's it's been such a short time. I guess that up until now, I've been too busy living with and dealing with day-to-day things that I haven't really stopped to take stock. And here I am training for a marathon, as if nothing out of the ordinary has happened! Who am I kidding??

That said, I'm tired today. But the schedule said I was to run 6 miles, and so I did. I ran with a friend who I could tell was chomping at the bit to run faster. I kept telling her to go on ahead, and that I needed to go as slowly as I was going, because that's what felt healthy and proper for me today. It was an uncomfortable run for the both of us, I think, because she refused to go on ahead, and I could sense her frustration that she was trying to keep at bay. And me, all I wanted to do was concentrate on my pacing and my breath, to keep things nice and smooth and easy, and certainly not engage in chitchat (for a change).

Ah, and now I'm remembering how I refused to run with anyone for several weeks after my procedures, because I didn't want to risk being dragged faster and/or harder than what I felt was appropriate for me at the time. My friend isn't training for a marathon, so she doesn't need to be as careful about staying injury-free. Not that she'd be reckless, of course, but you know what I mean... I think I need to return to only solo running again, now that I think about it. We all do know what's best for our own bodies, don't we? Yeah, it's just a matter of remembering to listen, I think. ;)

Have a great remainder of the weekend, my friends!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited November 2011

30 minute run...in spite of myself...one of those days when I have to be proud of the fact that I managed to get my butt out there even though no part of me, butt included, wanted to...  Hope you all are having a good evening...

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,847
    edited November 2011

Good evening all and Happy Belated Thanksgiving. I've been off the site for awhile. I developed a cold that turned into a sinus infection so I've been taking it easy. I did walk on Thanksgiving and yesterday I fast walked/ran at the park. Feeling better now.

Badger: So glad you went to the eye doctor when you did! Continue to heal.

5 years ago on November 27 I had my mastectomy. Lots of things have happened in those 5 years. Life is good!!!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2011

50 minute bike ride again! Back to work tomorrow, :((((

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2011

2 mile walk today. I banged my head hard on the car door and have a splitting headache and am a bit sick to my stomach. Hope it is gone in the morning.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2011

Badger- yep....but it packed down...and half of it was melted so it did not seem like a foot...and now...5 days later, it is ALL GONE!!! Welcometo Halifax winters...I am NOT complaining!

Went for a walk last night and had salad and a bit of chicken ( ok..and a glass of red wine!) then walkedback and went to pump today for an hour....

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited November 2011

BAdger so sorry about your eye surgery but glad you lucked out on a great doc.  I worry about cataracts as my mom as had cataract surgery and I am  on tamox.  Just went to my eye doctor last week and he he said I don't have to come back for two years unless I notice any change at all and then he wants to see me. 

I am so jealous of all your runners, but I have just never done well with that.  Tried to do it last year and but was not able to keep it up.  So I'll stick to my 3 mile walks and my yoga.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2011

Goodness Badger how lucky that the doctor was able to see you straight away, take care of yourself, do you have any other restrictions or just no jumping around?

Patoo before a visitor comes I always clean like a bansee and it seems 10 minutes after they arrive the place is trashed, do you know that if I didn't have visitors the windows would never get washedTongue out

Did Body Step class today and it was a real struggle I was tired but I did muddle through and then this afternoon I walked around a local outdoor mall and did some retail therapy, how come everything I looked at wasn't on sale - typical!!!!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited November 2011

Got an hour of toning in before church, then came home put up the Christmas decorations (putting a hand painted shell Santa given to me by Wonderland last summer on the tree Cool), started writing The Christmas Present List, ordered my dad's and our Christmas cards, and then did something really fun....when I was in high school, our choir always sang The Hallelujah Chorus as part of our Christmas concert, and it truly is a musical masterpiece. Where I live now, every other year the high school choir and orchestra performs portions of Handel's Messiah (of which the Hallelujah Chorus in part) and invites community members to sing/play with them. I always thought that would be so fun, but since I haven't sung (except in the shower) since high school, I never participated until two years ago when I thought, "If I ever want to do it again, I better do it NOW," so I did, and it was a tremendous, powerful and fun experience...you really do get lost it the music....anyway, now I get to do it again, first rehearsal was tonight...which makes me so happy that I am a little teary, as it was a 'Bucket List' type of thing, and I am still here carrying around the bucket!

O.K., so tomorrow I have to get back on track with the eating after my gravy soaked, whipped cream topped weekend....I just finished off the pumpkin pie before coming online.....bad, bad me!

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited November 2011

Ruth what fun, congratulations, sing loud, sing proud xo 

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited November 2011

have fun, Ruth, it is beautiful music.  I have a two-CD set of Messiah (with the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir) that I just love.  I sing alto, how about you?

thanks Cheryl, no restrictions other than staying calm & quiet and seeing the doc in 2 weeks.

I'll be out of town for a few days on business so see you later ladies.  Hmmm, I think I'll pack Messiah for my road trip and sing along as I drive!

(edit to add: thanks everyone for the well-wishes, I truly appreciate your support!)

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited November 2011

Badger sorry to ask but what symptoms did you have with your eyesight.I have been on Tamox for 3 years now and \i have noticed that  I am not very confortable driving at night anymore.

• ruthbru
    edited November 2011

Yes, I am an alto, hallelujah.....those soprano parts are high, high, high.......

• misswim
    edited November 2011

Walked a mile and a half to work this morning and will walk home. Other than that and PT, taking the day off! Super sore from the weekend!

• Sherryc
    edited November 2011

Ruth the choir sounds like such fun.

I am actually ahead of myself this year.  Put up my christmas decor this weekend and I have most of my shopping done.  Now to wraps presents and tie up the loose ends and I can sit back and relax and enjoy the Holidays.  I was doing rads last year so my Holidays were not much fun.

Going to Yoga after work I can't wait it has been a couple of weeks.

• quiche
    quiche Member Posts: 180
    edited November 2011

Badger: So sorry you're going through this, but at the same time thankful you caught it in the knick of itme and had such great care. I hope you're enjoying the activity that you are allowed.

Ruthbru: What fun!!

I did an hour on the treadmill today (30 min pre-set program and 30 min run2/walk1). Trying to counteract my glutton/slug mentality of the last four days, ugh! It felt great so I have incentive to get back on track.

• ginger48
    edited November 2011

I walked 2 1/4 miles this morning. Looks like it is the end of the warm weather for CT so I will have to come up with a plan for a cold, rainy day tomorrow.

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited November 2011

Badger..glad you are on the road to recovery. That's nothing to fool around with.

Had 6 painter friends over this morning for an art critique. We all bring 3 paintings and talk about what's good and can be improved on them. It was over at noon and I told them I was going for my daily walk and three of them actually went with me. Took an hour walk and we all felt great when we got back. It was nice because I had them all to talk to.

• misswim
    edited November 2011

Walked the mile and a half home and called it a day. Haven't given myself a rest day in a long while and my body hurts. Plan to do an hour interval workout with the balance ball in the a.m., starting a yoga series for BC survivors at the local hospital tomorrow. I am excited for that!

• CorinneM1
    edited November 2011

That is nice that your friends went with you.  Maybe you all should incorporate that into your art critique days?

• ruthbru
    edited November 2011

One hour on the treadmill; even when it is a nice day, it is getting dark and cold by the time I get out of work. Oh well, soon we will start tilting back toward the sun.

I sure wish I were done with my shopping instead of just starting!

• balsie
    balsie Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2011

I have been getting back into walking on a regular basis.,,,,treadmill for me too.  X country ski is in my near future here in MN.  

• misswim
    edited November 2011

40 mins aerobic/tone dvd with the resistance ball this morning. Didn't get my heart rate up as high as I would have liked, but my lower body is feeling every exercise. Trying out the breast cancer yoga class tonight . I will report back! I am afraid I won't be challenged enough but this teacher works with women who have had mastectomy to help deal with post surgical issues and I could really use that.

Have a great day ladies!

• CorinneM1
    edited November 2011

Did a 35 min run/walk this morning.  Timed myself--I can jog 15 min without stopping. And when I did stop, it was for less than 30 sec and then picked it up again and ran another 8 without stopping and then walked the rest of the way home.

I am going to try again tomorrow to try to make it 20 min without stopping.

• ginger48
    edited November 2011

Great job ladies! I just did a one hour yoga therapy session and it felt so good.

• Sherryc
    edited November 2011

Had a great yoga class last night and after work will walk 3 miles.  Feels good to be back to my regular routine.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited November 2011

Trying to catch up with all the postings after my Thanksgiving week at the cabin - sounds like everyone is keeping busy!

We had a great time - for you Civil War history buffs out there we spent one day at Gettysburg. DH's g-g-grandfather was killed during Pickett's Charge (yes, he was fighting for the wrong side) so we spent the morning at the visitor center learning all about the battles and especially Pickett's Charge, then spent the afternoon following his ancestor's unit's movement that day.  Of course no one knows exactly where he was killed, but based on our research we were able to narrow it down to within a half mile or so.  It was a cold rainy nasty day, but it was perfect as we pretty much had the battleground to ourselves - no one else was stupid enough to tromp around in a cold driving rain! The National Park Service has done a fabulous job with preserving the battleground so we could almost imagine how it was that day in 1863.  

We did a lot of hiking - Fat Mikey the Min Pin had a ball - doing 5 mile mountain hikes on those little legs like they were a walk around the block!  We had a friend come up for Tkg, and had some family come by the day after.  Yep, the visitors made us clean - the cabin was sparkling by the time everyone arrived! Cool Of course we had to have one trauma - while hiking we'd stopped for a break and I sat on a low rock. All of you on AIs know how hard it is to get up from the ground when you've been sitting!!  So as I'm grunting and groaning and trying to get up, I put my hand on the rock to brace myself, and as I bent over to stand up my water bottle came out of my backpack and fell on my ring finger, just above the knuckle.  YIKES!!!!  I think I broke it - that was lastt week and it's still purple, green and black and very painful, so I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow.  At least is was on my non-LE side so I don't have that extra issue to worry about.  

Badger - great that you were aware how serious the floaters were and got yourself in for help!!

This week is dedicated to losing the weight I gained while on vacation!!  I was up 5 pounds Sunday, but only up 3 today, so hopefully my Wednesday Weigh In won't be too bad tomorrow. 

2 mile speed walk yesterday and 30 minutes elliptical today. Two more weeks of post-surgical restrictions, so no running, yoga, or weight training yet.  Soon!