Comments

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Springtime-awesome!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,522
    edited December 2011

Ginger, at least now that you know what is going on you can address it. Some of the ladies here can give you good advice (Natsfan, for one).

Did a` warmup on the treadmill and 45 minutes of toning with Denise Austin.

Cheryl, I watched the news about the winds you are getting, and I think I will stay here!

Great job, everyone!!!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone.  I simply have no energy, or at least not once I get done with everything else.  Worked all day then finished cooking and delivered a meal to a family that is going through chemo (because we know it affects the whole family), then choir rehearsal for our Christmas program.  Had the intention of going to the gym after that - what, am I kidding!!!  So I should be able to get to the gym tomorrow evening after work and will try and look at my weekly schedule and figure out how to get exercise back in.

orangemat, yes, I was interested in the 5K on New Years day but don't know if I can be ready.  I am continuing acupuncture next week and starting PT so maybe between the two I will be able to strengthen my legs and boost my energy to be able to really run.  I did print out the couch to 5K schedule and will try to do it.  I have registered for the 5K end-Feb in DisneyWorld, FL. 

Going up to bed - just no energy; very frustrating.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011

Came home after work and did my Yogafit video.  I have not done the video in a while and boy could I tell it.  I def have been lazy.  I don't like the effects on my body when I don't work out. Hopefully I won't slide again but part of it was I was trying to gain weight. Now that I have gained what I need I don't want to gain anymore.

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited December 2011

Sherry, which Yogfit video? For a while a couple years ago, I was doing their certification program, but then delved down into a different yoga path...

Yesterday I swore I was going to take today off and not run the measly 3 miles I had on the schedule. Yet this morning I woke up itching to run.... addicted much??

Have a lovely day, all!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited December 2011

Orangemat I'll have to look, I know it is a flex and flow and one of the older videos because they call happy baby pose dead bug which they don't do any longer.  My instructor is certifed through Yogafit.  I also have a cousin certified through them and I was looking to purchase some videos and she steered me to their website.

• NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited December 2011

Ginger - bummer bummer bummer on the LE!  Just when we think things are getting better - WHAM - we're hit with LE.  There are a few of us who post here who are "swell sisters".  I would urge you to hit the LE section of BCO - it's a group of great supportive women who can help you learn to manage this condition.  There's also info about what to expect as far as treatment.  Another excellent website is:  stepup-speakout.org - anything and everything you've always wanted to know about LE.  The biggest thing is to take things slowly and easily, especially any weight training.  But it is manageable. 

Patoo - so sorry about the lack of energy, but it sound like you're doing a lot for others.  Maybe cut back just a tad and make time for yourself?? Shrry - love the "dead bug" pose name - no wonder they changed it to "happy baby"!  Tongue out  Cheryl - hang in there and tie yourself down - it looks wild out there.  

No exercise this morning - I was too tired.  The Chihuahua coughed all night - she's done it some before but last night was bad.  At 18 years old we were afraid it was a cardiac cough which is a sign of congestive heart failure.  DH took her to the vet today and it's not CHF after all! It's a partially collapsed trachea - not uncommon at all in Chihuahuas and is manageable.  I know that at her age we're closer to the inevitable than not, but still I feel like we dodged a bullet - at least for a while.  

• patoo
    edited December 2011

NatsFan, you're absolutely right.  I used to make time for myself and need to do so again.  I know my lack of energy has a lot to do with not exercising.   Hoping to snap out of it before too long as I've been here before.  Thanks for the encouragement.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011

Oh today was such a gooooood day. Left work a little early (shhh!) and DH and I got in a 50 minute bike ride before it turned to dark. It was SO TOTALLY AWESOME after 2 days this week on the elliptical beast. It will be warm enough tomorrow and Sunday I think to do it again! I am so psyched!

And get this. Recently I have started using MyFitnessPal.com to track what I eat, and come to discover with my plant based diet I don't get much protein. I have really been focusig on less processed carbs and more protein, and I seem to have more energy. Does that make sense to anyone or sound like that's what would be expected to happen? Like today it was Friday afternoon after a long work week and typically I am totally exhausted but today I was really booking it on that bike!!! I wonder if it is the protein? (organic tofu, sockeye salmon, organic eggs) ...

• patoo
    edited December 2011

Springtime, you may have touched on something else - it gets dark so early and seems even darker for some reason as I drive home from work.  So I may also be suffering from, of course I forget at the moment what it's called, but it has to do with darkness and this time of year. 

• ruthbru
    edited December 2011

I think the 'hibernation syndrome' hits when it is cold and dark so early!

Springtime, good reminder that we need all the food groups for health and energy!

I made myself finish off a big report when I got home from school (so I can start two more big reports...boo hoo), and now since I posted I will have to go and get a little exercise. Later, ladies!

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited December 2011

What a week.  This week was my first 5 day week since returning to work after my mx.  I am wiiiiiped.  I managed only runs after school during PT, 15 minutes each...  A total of 45 minutes of aerobic exercise this week.  I will try to get another 90 minutes this weekend along with abs and weights...but sheessh it is frustrating.  Before surgery, I would get 180 minutes high intensity and 300 minutes total each week. 

I am trying to be patient...but I am now 8 weeks post op and I want to be at 100%.  (I feel like a little kid..."I want...")

I hope that you all are faring well!  Please wish me luck, or fortitude or stamina...:)

• JFV
    JFV Member Posts: 341
    edited December 2011

CLC I am  very impressed with your progress.  Your body will bounce back before you know it.

Pattoo I'm with you.  I am having a terrible time with the dark and the cold and too many commitments.  I figure I'll just do a little bit here and there until Christmas is done.

My husband does try to get us both out for a walk about 5 nights a week.  We clocked it and timed it tonight.  1.6 miles in 37 minutes ( that included a stop to look at the three night herons on the dock).   Not gonna make me buff but it should keep me from falling apart.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited December 2011

Jenn/Ruth- pretty sure the pain is related to ankle and hip stuff...it is the swelling of my hands , armsand chest that I believe is the arimidex ..they put me on naproxen (aleve essentially) to see if it will alleviae tha pain and swelling....problem is if it works, I can't stay on it because I am on plavix and an aspirin for the heart event....in any case, between the GP, chirpracor and massage therapist (and my history) we all think it is related to inflammation and are trying to get that down with ice and manipulation....I have another chiro appointment on Monday and lymmh massage Friday....

Meanwhile, walking and will ry to go to pump tomorrow. Have a long day of singing sat and sun so that may be my exercize!!! breathing and holdingthose notes should count...holy moly!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2011

hi all, I'm still taking it easy so no exercise to report.  Missed yoga Weds and zumba Thurs.

patoo, I drive to work and back home in the dark too.  Nice sunset though tonight. 

Recently, I heard an excellent program on Wi Public Radio about seasonal mood disorders.  Here's an audio link.  BTW, I listen to this host, Joy Cardin, every morning while driving to work.

http://wpr.org/mobile/ideasnoteslist.cfm?size=120&dteDate=11/7/2011

Mary, sorry about the broken finger.  Hope you heal fast!

Ginger, sorry you lost the LE crapshoot (we're all at-risk).  Def check out the LE forum.  Some of the world's most informed and compassionate women post there.

Springtime, have you heard of protein complementarity?  Putting together two (or more) plant foods to create a protein-rich meal without meat.  For example, rice + beans.  Each is strong in certain amino acids but weak in others.  Eat them together and you get a complete protein.  Indigenous people have been doing this naturally for millenia.  A good book on the subject is Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe.  

Take care everyone!  {{hugs}}

• CLC
    CLC Member Posts: 615
    edited December 2011

JFV...thank you for your encouragement!

Springtime...I was vegan for a while and found it difficult to get enough protein on a regular basis.  I added animal products, but only fat free...  hard boiled egg whites, fat free cottage cheese and fat free yogurt...it really helped tremendously.  Then, I decided to have turkey meat...and the next day, I felt like a new woman...  so now I have lean turkey meat on occasion, too.

Ginger...I am so sorry you are dealing with LE...  I am glad you know what the problem is...and that you will begin to address it...I will be thinking of you...

• ruthbru
    edited December 2011

Sandee, cute new picture!

Good job CLC, just keep plugging away!

Dusted off a fun old VHS FIRM tape by the name of Maximum Cardio Burn plus Abs.

Now I am  trying to keep my 16 pound cat from climbing the Christmas tree and trying to get Christmas cards addressed for my dad....not started on my own yet. I think Christmas has gotten to be more stressful than fun!!!

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited December 2011
    O crap Ruth you just reminded me about putting up a tree. I wonder how many glass ornaments are left from my kitties adventure last year?Surprised
  • mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited December 2011

Tonight I have a big xmas party to attend so off i go to the gym right now!!!

• quiche
    quiche Member Posts: 180
    edited December 2011

What a powerful group . . . so didn't want to exercise yesterday, but thought of you all as I grabbed my wrist weights and got on my exercise ball to do my Lebed stretches, then followed it with 40 minutes on the treadmill. Definitely wouldn't have done all that (prob ANY of that) without all your voices!

Ginger: So sorry about your LE. I'm one of the lucky ones, too. The good news is it sounds like you found it early and are working with professionals that are taking it seriously. That's half the battle. It's a journey for sure, but it is usually manageable. It just takes time to figure out what's going to work for you. Natsfan gives excellent advice and I can't emphasis enough the "take things slowly" part. You'll need to take serious baby steps back into exercise until you know how your body will react. You can and will build things back up, I have no doubt about that, but it may take some extra patience. The best news is that exercise usually has a positive affect on LE! You just need to do it right. We're here for you.

Mumayan: Good for you for getting ahead of the game BEFORE the Christmas party! Ruthbru: I'm trying to visualze your 16# cat!!

• orangemat
    edited December 2011

Good job everyone for sticking with it! Ginger, so sorry about the LE... I'll keep each and every one of you here in mind as I run my long run today, 21 miles. Good to know I'll have good company on the way!

• ruthbru
    edited December 2011
    I'll be the one in the back pointing out all the restaurants we could stop at for some 'carbohydrate loading'! Wink
  • Banba
    Banba Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2011

Gawd! Gone for a few days and you guys just can't stop exercising!

Back to my kick-boxing, which was fantastic. Will get my starting date for radiation and hormone(or anit-hormine) pills next week.

• misswim
    misswim Member Posts: 472
    edited December 2011

Have a terrible sore throat and cough so had to take yesterday off. Hoping I will feel better to get something in later today!

• Floraandsasha
    Floraandsasha Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011

Relieved its not just me feeling wiped out most of the time.....I.m also very concerned about the weight gain, my claories intake is less than 2,000 a day with loads of veg, fruit, yogurt.  What can i do?

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited December 2011

Hi everyone.  I did, what I think will be or should be my last 5K of the year.  The Santa Hustle!  5000 "santas" running the Chicago lakefront.  It was cold, it was rainy, it was awesome.  They gave out candy and cookies and it was fun running in a santa hat a beard.

Welcome Floraandsasha--what are you drinking?  Cutting out surgery drinks is very helpful.  Try to increase your green tea intake as well.  Take a look at the thread "today my good food choice is" and like this thread it helps keep you focused on making healthy choices every day.

• patoo
    edited December 2011

Did my first "Couch to 5K Running Plan" this morning so that's 20 mins walk/run.  Then took DS to the mall so got in more walkiing.  Total a little over 3.75 miles today. 

Badger, that's it, "SAD" or Seasonal Affective Disorder is trying to catch me but I'm gonna outrun it because it's not my style.

Leg hurting a little so will rest up with ibuprofen and a book.

Night my sculpted friends.

• orangemat
    edited December 2011

Congrats on your race, Corinne! Any photos? Sounds like a cute idea. 

I ran my 21 miles today, 21.2 to be exact. I've been adding on the additional .2 on my long runs, just to purposely mess with my head the way a marathon does. Guess I want to be prepared, even for the stuff you're not prepared for... anyway, so tomorrow I will NOT run (big surprise there!).

Have a great rest of the weekend, all! 

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited December 2011

Orangemat, I don't have any photos, but they were filming for the Travel Channel and expect it to air soon. 

Okay...what am I doing wrong?  I ran more than walked today and my time was worse!  WTH!  What is the single best advice you can give to a beginner to help increase time?  Do I really have to choose btw time or distance?  If I have to choose, I will choose distance as I would like to be able to run further, longer than shorter and faster.

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited December 2011

Thanks Ruth!

Ginger...lymphodema is no fun but you will conquer it!

Didn't exercize...but managed to sleep 12 straight hours!!!! It never happens but I am going to ry and make it happen again tonight...think I am super wiped out....rehearsed from 3-5:40 and then sang with the choir from 7-9...am now back home (an hour drive) with an ice pack on my hip so I can do it all again tomrrow. All about inflamation....need to read up on it and do things to eliminate inflammation in my body...thinking a lo carb anti candidas thing....