Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

Lets Post our Daily Exercise

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2010

Yep, still snowing.  Just went out and spent another 30 minutes shoveling.  Wonder if I can count some of this as tomorrow's exercise?  Probably have to go out again later as it's supposed to snow through the night - <  sigh  >

• bobcat
    bobcat Member Posts: 526
    edited February 2010

Still snowing here too!!  I did a one hour Shovel and Sculpt walk this morning.  Could've made a couple dollars but told everyone to pay it forward - I was getting my workout.  It was fun.  I've been back out 3 times to do my own front walk and path and will probably go out a couple more times before all this snow ends.  My SO cooked up 4 roasted chickens and 4 pounds of penne with broccoli, garlic, onions and romano - mmmm!!  I'll have to be careful around all that food.  I call what he does "cooking therapy".  It's fine - I shovel, he cooks.  Heading to the gyn/surg/onc tomorrow morning about removing the ovaries.  Hope they get the roads clear in time. 

Momof2 - how are feeling??  Patoo - I'm afraid to weigh myself after shoveling Kiss

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Okay, looks like it stopped - hopefully for good this time.  So making my third trip out.  Are we having fun yet?

• patoo
    edited February 2010

That's just too much exercise for one day.  Another 50 mins of 6-8 inches, wet, heavy.  And it's piled high on the side so had to toss it up and over.  I hope, no, I pray that I'm done.  No, I am done and will take a look when I wake tomorrow morning.  I will get to work whenever I get there, if at all tomorrow.  Funny though, my boss lives across the road from me in the same townhouse development.  At least he has a 12 yo DS to help him.

Think I will visit a couple other threads and wish you all a good night.  I've got a date with a heat pack and tylenol (Hmmmm, maybe a glass of wine is in order too!)

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542
    edited February 2010

Goodness, I think I better just enjoy our sunny 12 BELOW ZERO weather and not complain!! If we get that 'Sculpt and Shovel' DVD out soon, we can make our fortune and be off to Hawaii!!! I'm down to the basment for a more light exercise session. Shoveling Rangers, try not to over-over do it!

• Tarry1
    Tarry1 Member Posts: 56
    edited February 2010

Hi everyone, I just joined the group a few days ago and today, I saw the Daily Exercise, I can only do certain exercises because of my hip replacement, but I try to take a short walk everyday and today I learned a new one that I can do that won't bother my hip. It's kind of a fun one, hand to the knee.

We didn't get the snow like some of you, Patoo, my nephew told me that they got a snow day where he is is NJ. We are going to have to deal with bitter cold wind chills tommorow, but no snow.

Just remember take it easy with the shoveling.

• bobcat
    edited February 2010

Hi Tarry - welcome.  We are a diverse group.  Patoo is in NJ and I'm in eastern PA and everyone else all over the map.  Lots of fun and encouragement.  I so want to put out a Snow and Shovel DVD - too funny!!

• reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010

Hello Ladies - I did 30 min of walking w/intermittent jogging. Also worked with balance ball for about 15 min. Ques. Bobcat: I know I'm showing my ignorance but...what is spin class? I've heard of it but haven't clue.

Hop everyone is doing well. Keep up all the good work.  Chris

• bobcat
    edited February 2010

reeltchr - spin class is a specially designed indoor cycling bike - the class can be anywhere from 10 to 30 or more bikes(depending on the facility) in a room lead by a trained instructor to mimic an outdoor cycling situation that is challenging at various levels.  The room is almost close to dark, there is music(usually current, hip, motivating but depends on the instructors) and the class is 45 - 60 minutes.  I am always drenched and gasping at the end of each class and found that it worked throughout chemo, surgery and now that some other forms of exercise cause too much joint pain.  I have a small (10 bike) class at my Y and go about 4-5 time a week.  I love the workout and it really gives me that runner's high that I miss.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010
    Hi All, Welcome Tarry! Keep coming back here and you will have so much fun (plus be FORCED to exercise because members of this post send "YOU MUST MOVE" messages to each other by ESP Wink). Speaking of which; I did 15 minutes on the treadmill and an hour "Complete Aerobics and Weight Training" FIRM tape. I need to check and see if anyplace in this town does spin classes because it sounds really fun (in a torturous sort of way!). Bobbi, let us know how your appt. goes (if you can get there between all the shoveling), you'll have to delay any surgical plans until after the snow season since you are single handedly keeping the city streets open!!
  • hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited February 2010

Hello everyone did Body Combat class tonight but had to wear a knee brace - I'm slowly falling apart.  Welcome Tarry, it's nice to have newbies jump into the pool with us.  You have all had a busy day with your snow shovels and Patoo is right take the tylenol/aleve to ward of the aches before they happen.  Will be thinking of you tomorrow Bobcat and sending good thoughts your way.

• bobcat
    edited February 2010
    Well my appointment about the ovaries was cancelled - Philadelphia was really a mess and guess I'm glad I didn't have to drive.  Waiting for the call to reschedule as it sounds like they were on a skeleton staff today.  All highways are now clear so back to business.  Took advantage of the morning and did another 1 hour walk.  The Y was closed.  I'm feeling a bit achy from all the shoveling yesterday anyway so a walk was just perfect.  Back to spinning tomorrow.  Ruth - I hope can locate a spin class.  I think it will be right down your alley Wink
  • Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303
    edited February 2010

Hi girls.  Well, I am not a member of the shoveling crew!  We got maybe a dusting yesterday.  I have total snow envy right now.  I'm in Massachusetts and there is more snow in DC than here!  

I did no exercise yesterday.  Oh well...I caught up on paperwork that I have been avoiding for a while.  

Today I did 4 miles on the treadmill.  Tomorrow I will do my 30 minutes before work again.  I love the feeling.

Take care,

Lorrie 

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Hi my moving buddies.  I'm so thrilled to see so many of you keeping at it.  That 'voice' must be really loud.  Made me do a 30 min power walk with upper body training DVD just now  although my hip was, again, in protest.  I just tell it to get with the program and since it has to follow my leg it has no other choice. 

Someone at the office asked me about my day yesterday and I mentioned that I went out 4 times to shovel 18 inches of snow.  She said "are you sore" and I was able to say "no" and I know it's because I'm in better shape.  I do feel good.

Love you all!

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010
    Hi ladies, Tonight, I did the '500 Calorie Firm Workout'; one hour, a good workout.  We are predicted to have more snow this weekend. Lorrie, if you want it, I will try to send it YOUR way.  If not, I'll be joining the Shoveling Rangers contingent of the group; I will have to look at it as an 'upper body workout' opportunity, right?!. I'm ALMOST tempted to get out the tape measure and see for sure if I've lost any inches or not. Do I dare?  What a SUPER, AWESOME group we are!! I like that there's no excuses. We are reclaiming ourselves, PERIOD. I'm so glad we found each other Smile !!!!!!
  • reeltchr
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Bobcat - That makes sense. Sounds like a challenging workout. I know I'd be gasping after 10 min. It's a real good way to burn the calories though. Have a good night. Chris
  • reeltchr
    edited February 2010

Ladies - Did 30 min of Pilates and tonight was my bowling night. Had another good evening in the score box. That always makes me happy. Have a good one. Chri

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    edited February 2010
    You guys are great... the motivation on this thread is wonderful!  Well I have only been walking everyday since the calf pull, but that seems to be doing fairly good.  I have been struggling again with pain in knees and left hip again and I'm sure you all know where my head has been this week!  Woke up this morning though having slept the whole night pain free - without any medicinal help!  Sooooo, maybe this afternoon if all goes well I will add either the FIRM or a Sweatin' tape.  But, for now, I am heading out for my daily walk in about an hour.  The walking is much more difficult in the snow - it is kinda like walking on a beach, but with slippery spots!!! Laughing  Happy Friday Everyone!  Have a great day!
  • mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited February 2010

Took the day off yesterday and now my back has flared up.Will se what I can do in the gym today without making it worse.

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010

Mary Louise, walking in snow is worth "Double Bonus Points". I'm thinking I probably won't be getting anything in today. DH's work has a Valentine's Day Dinner/Party tonight (instead of a Christmas party), but I'll be back at it tomorrow. Good Friday, Power Sisters!!!!

• hbcheryl
    edited February 2010
    Does sitting on your *** count for anything as that is what I did yesterdayLaughing  I went to my god daughters final high school soccer game and "senior presentation" so did lots of handclapping and woo hooing but I was sitting wrapped in a blanket - hey it gets cold at the beach at night!!
  • fmakj
    edited February 2010

I can vouch for how much energy it takes to Woo Hoo and Clap!!  AND just keeping warm uses energy also!! 

Today's walk was much better.... walked on the roads which were dry, so wore my running shoes again today!!  Leaving to take my DH out for his birthday (which was yesterday), but hope to be back and try one of those tapes later ??? 

Mum, take it easy on yourself, I had to this week (for my calf muscle) and am feeling much better with just gentle stretching (by walking). Your back is more important that a calf muscle (IMO).  Ruth, enjoy your dinner/party!  Take care not to swing on any chandeliers!!! AND you need to take a break once in a while!!   Happy excercising everyone!!  

• bobcat
    edited February 2010

Had a great spin class this morning and now chained to my desk and computer, of course.  I was really feeling the aches from all the shoveling so was nice to sit and spin and sweat.  I agree, walking in the snow is double points...  Happy Valentine's weekend to all the BCO sweethearts out there exercising.

• bobcat
    edited February 2010

Oh - got that ovary appointment rescheduled for next Thursday.  I love my docs - they alway manage to fit you in somewhere because they know we worry about these things.

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303
    edited February 2010

Good afternoon Power Rangers!

I did my 30 minutes on the treadmill this morning before work.  I thought I'd be more upbeat and focused at work but I really really didn't feel like being there today.  Oh well!

Ruth--have fun at the Valentine's Party!

Mum-take care of your back.  Do some gentle stretching but don't overdo anything!  Get better quickly!

Ok, hbCheryl, I am officially jealous of your California weather!  I've decided that I'm sick of being COLD!

Bobcat-good luck with your appointment.  It sounds like you have very caring docs.

fmakj-enjoy going out with your DH.   Walking in the snow is excellent exercise!  It's like walking on the beach.  It engages many more leg muscles than walking on a regular flat surface.

Patoo--have you recovered from your marathon shoveling sessions?

Chris--what was your score in bowling?  I love to bowl too.

Have a great afternoon Rangers!

Lorrie 

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Hey Power Rangers.  You all have been busy in one way or another.  Those down days are okay - everyone needs one now and then.  As long as we don't make it a habit then it just works for us because we can enjoy it without guilt knowing that we will be back at it the next day.

Went to the gym after work and wanted to run in pool for an hour but after 30 mins started getting cramps in toes, feet and calves.  Did another 20 mins of upper body in pool.  Intend to try again tomorrow and will also do the torture elliptical and bike.

Enjoy your evening and weekend.

• hbcheryl
    edited February 2010

Good evening Rangerettes, did a weightlifting class tonight and 15 minutes climbing the stairs to nowhere as my little bit of cardio for the day, I so look forward to coming here and posting as it so much fun to see what everyone does.

• kirstensmum
    kirstensmum Member Posts: 76
    edited February 2010

Hello everyone.  I haven't posted for a while but I have been exercising every day.  I have just started yoga once a week, run by the cancer council.  It is early days yet but I really enjoy it.  The exercises are quite gentle but we have been told that each week we will stretch further.  I am still going to the gym 3 times a week and bike riding everyday.

Today I have done 30 minutes on the stationary bike.

Take care everyone

Jennie

• ruthbru
    edited February 2010

Hi Jennie, WELCOME BACK!!! I'm just checking in after my big supper/party. Didn't swing on any chandeliers, but ate way to much to think about any exercise what-so-ever. Tomorrow I'll be back at it!! Power Up! Ruth

• fmakj
    edited February 2010
    Hi Everyone,  Didn't do anything excercizy after we got back yesterday but did do a Sweatin DVD with floor excercises this morning.  Calf muscle was letting me know to keep it easy, so I think that I will try to keep my walking up every morning (except Sunday - Day off!!) and try to do some floor excercises daily so that I may actually be able to keep up the regimen while on holidays???? Cool  I really don't want to get out of the habit of moving every day!!